1,000 pt DE Army

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Undead bonzi
Slave (off the Altar)

1,000 pt DE Army

Post by Undead bonzi »

Ok, so i bought the batttalion box plus a Master on a Cold One and an Assasin. From that this is the list I am thinking of fielding against my friends Warriors of Chaos.

Master: Heavy Armour, Shield, SDC, Sword of Might, Pendant of K.

Assasin: AHW, Touch of Death, Rune of Khaine

10 RxB Warriors

20 Warriors: Shields, F.C. (Assasin here)

10 Corsairs: Music (-or- Assasin here)

5 Cold One Kights: F.C. (Master goes here)

8 Shades: Great Weapons (converted from Corsairs)

I have a couple questions.

#1. Would it be worth bumping the Corsairs up to 12 (6x2) to make them more effective flankers.

#2. Is full command worth it on the CoK's? Should I drop the Champ or the Standard?

#3. I would like to have the War Banner on my Warriors, where would you shave points to fit it?

My friends list is roughly:

Mounted Hero with (???) who joins unit of knights (Mark of Nurgle).

Foot Sorcerer with Mark of Tzeentch

2 Units of 5 hounds

10 Warriors with Shields and HW's (Mark of Nurgle)

20 Marauders (flails -or- shields + HW's) Light Armour (unmarked)

5 Knights (Mark of Nurgle)

My biggest worry is his Knights who will multch anything I have if they get the charge. In terms of foot units I feel like I have the adavantage with greater numbers and mobility but cracking his foot warriors will still be tough. I am unworried about the Marauders as my shooting will thin them down before combat. Any advice is welcome. Keep in mind I am trying to work with what I've got. My next addition to this army to bump it to 1,500 pts will probably be a Hydra, a Sorc, some Dark Riders and ???.
Undead bonzi
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Undead bonzi »

I reworked my list and made a few changes. Let me know what you think.

Master: Heavy Armour, Shield, SDC, Pendant of K. (traded out Sword of Might for standard Lance)

Assasin: AHW, Touch of Death, Rune of Khaine

10 RxB Warriors (added Music)

20 Warriors: Shields, F.C. (Assasin here)

10 Corsairs: Music (-or- Assasin here) (added an additional 2 Corsairs)

5 Cold One Kights: (Rmoved Champ, Only S.B. and Music now) (Master goes here)

8 Shades: Great Weapons (converted from Corsairs)
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

You could also use the Assassin (2x ss) with AHW, Rending Stars and Manbane (running him with Shades then maybe) to get S6 Attacks against the Chaos Knights/Warriors. -1 to hit from Mark of Nurgle hardly bothers him with his high BS.

Touch of Death is nice, but fairly inconsistent. And he quickly dies if attacked.

Bye
Thanee
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

I personally like your assassin setup. That is how I use mine. He has quite a resume of killing blow deaths. If I were you, I would add some sort of baiting diverting unit such as harpies or dark riders. Then, if you would add the standard of slaughter to your knights, they would stand a decent charge of breaking anything they hit on the charge.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Undead bonzi
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Undead bonzi »

Thanks for the Assasin advice. I had not thought of running him with the Shades with Rending Stars. My firend and I will probably try to play two games so I will run him like he is one game and with Rending Stars with Shades the next and see which one I like better.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

For your Touch of Death Assassin, try not to get him in contact with more than one enemy model, when you reveal him, so chances are best he won't get any "return fire" in melee. :)

Bye
Thanee
Undead bonzi
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Undead bonzi »

Alrighty, had my games against Warriors of Chaos. On the first game I got Massacered and on the second game I Massacered the enemy. I learned several things about my list and tweaks I need to make.

#1. I need to learn how to use Shades better....a lot better. In the first game I used them to bait the Chaos Knights so my CoK's could get a rear charge. The result was that all my Shades died and when my CoK's got the charge it was as the enemy was re-entering the field from overrun. My CoK's killed....one. Then died after two more rounds of combat. In the second game my Shades killed around 5-6 Marauders with shooting on the first turn...then were blown off the map by Winds of Death where my friend rolled a 12 for number of shots and 10 for number of wounds. He did that one or two more times over the course of the game to different units.

#2. RxB Warriors ROCK! I totally underestimated these guys and the number of shots they could dish out. In both games they singlehandedly obliterated a unit of 20 Marauders. In both games they also got nuked by magic and ended with 5 men the first game and 3 men the second.

#3. Sorcesses and DE magic ROCK! I traded out my Assasin and some extra fat in my list to run a Sorc with Sacrificial Dagger. I rolled Word of Pain and Chill Wind. In the second game I did a fair amount of damgae to a unit of foot Chaos Warriors and used Word of Pain to win combats with my Corsairs vs his remaining foot warriors and my CoK's vs his Chaos Knights....at the cost of roughly 1 to 2 spearmen a turn. By the end of the game I had forced around 3-4 panic checks on my unit of Warriors lol. Magic will always have a place in any of my DE lists from now on though I think I'll run the Dark Star Cloak from now on instead of the dagger.

#4. A Master + full mundane, a CO and a Pendant of Kaelith?sp? is dirty....dirty dirty dirty dirty. In the second game I ran my Master alone right at his unit of Chaos Knights plus Hero and challenged him...and bogged the whole unit down in combat vs my Master for the entire game untill my CoK's lined up for a rear charge against the fight on turn 6. After 4 rounds of comabt we had each done one wound to the other and that was it. My friend has a serious dislike for the Pendant now.

#5. Warriors with shields are nice and cheap....and expendable.

#6. Corsairs put up a decent performance in the second game. I almost could have used the Slaver rule for them when they broke my friends Warriors...but he rolled two ones for flee distance. I think I will try them in a unit of 18 (6x3) with Frenzy next time in place of a large block of Spearment and see how they do. I want to orient my army towards greater offense and that seems the way to go.

#7. Cold One Knights < Chaos Knights....even with the charge. Gah! Still did a decent performance considering I was throwing them against far superior and more expensive units.

Based on this I am going to be revising my list soon. More mobility. More shooting. More Magic.

Version 2.0

Sorceress -lvl 2, Darkstar Cloak, Dispell Scroll, Dark Steed

5 Dark Riders -RxB, Music

18 Corsairs -F.C., Sea Serpent Standard

10 RxB -Music

8 Shades -Great Weapons

5 Cold One Knights -Champion, Null Shards

Around 60pts leftover.

Questions:

#1. Sea Serpent Standard or Banner of Murder for Corsairs?
#2. Knock Shades down to 5 so I run another unit of RxB or Dark Riders?
#3. Standard Bearer and Standard of Slaugher for CoK's?

Thoughts? Comments?