Newish to Dark Elves - Help Me

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Sidorio
Assassin

Newish to Dark Elves - Help Me

Post by Sidorio »

So basically i've finally bought the start of my first army for fantasy, and after talking to people at a games workshop in sydney i've chosen the malicious, murdering souls known commonly as Dark Elves. So i bought myself the battalion and will be purchasing some characters soon. Any way i need help for getting started with them, such as what to buy for the army, also i want to use all of the models i got in the battalion if possible.

Firstly i'm curious as whether or not people say i should build my spearmen as spearmen or should i make them as crossbowmen, can't choose between them and want to knw before i build them, currently i have put together my first 5 corsairs.

Secondly, i want a corsairish/ piratey/ raidery theme for my army maybe an inland one or something along those lines and wonder what i should think of including.

Thirdly any sort of advice that icould be given would be appreciated so much. Many, many, thanks.

Sidorio :twisted:
Last edited by Sidorio on Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vash’nir - WS5 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: 2 asrai short swords, assassins dagger, silver dagger, modified repeater crossbow (20/20), hunting spear, Cloak of Dusk, full leather armour
Inventory: talisman of protection, talisman of night, smoke bombs x6, rope x2, healing balms x10, climbing axe x2, skinning knives, winter gear, Vikarh map, pouch of powder, 4 fire bombs
Mount: Dark Steed (Falken)
Gold: 2270
Skills: Stealth, Two Weapon Fighting, Basic Ride
Class: Shade
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

If you do a quick forum search regarding any of those questions, you'll find a near endless trove of answers. If you have any questions afterwards, by all means post them and hopefully we can help!
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

I have found that, unfrotunately, GW rarely sells models in numbers that the players needs. Thus, if you want to start out with basic warriors, I usually would recommend 2 boxes. This will yield 32 models. I would build 20 spears with full command and 12 crossbows with musician and shields. This is a great start.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Irtehdar
Assassin

Post by Irtehdar »

druchii77 wrote:I have found that, unfrotunately, GW rarely sells models in numbers that the players needs. Thus, if you want to start out with basic warriors, I usually would recommend 2 boxes. This will yield 32 models. I would build 20 spears with full command and 12 crossbows with musician and shields. This is a great start.
Actually the DE sets are not that bad off apart from the warriors who are(I admit) horrible.
Corsairs come in a 10 man box. I would buy 3 of them which gives you 30 in total that you can use either as 2x15, 3x10 or 1x10+1x20.
CoK come in a box of 5 which is the unit size you will want to run them in anyway wether you bring 1 or 2 units.
Warriors come in 16 man boxes and the closest thing you can do to use them completely is make 10 RxB's and 22 warriors.

When you build up an army you may come across a situation where you have an odd 7-8 pts left that you have no use for. having afew spare models allow you to put those points into an already existing unit and when it comes to warriors thats 1 extra wound the enemy must inflict to take away a rank bonus.

Another small piece of advice would be if a unit is shooting you dont want to waste points on command groups. If its a 15+ man strong block its worth buying it. The command group is valuable for units that needs the close combat abilities that it gives. Its a waste of points for units that doesnt need it.
And another thing that you will hear alot in here. RxB's should always be supplied with shields. Theres 574767864 good reasons to do so and only reason not to do it is you need those 10 pts elsewhere.

And one last thing: Go check out the tactics forum. Theres alot of golden advice lying around for those who care to look for it. Same thing goes with the D.R.A.I.C.H.

PS: get yourself some harpies and dark riders. Wether you buy the stock models or convert them from other models or even build them with playdoo, copper wire and banana peals is not important. They are just too valuable to not have in any army.
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.
Sidorio
Assassin

Post by Sidorio »

Thanks, i will be looking at those other posts. Currently i have 20 corsairs, 5 Cold One Knights, and those 28 warriors/crossbowmen and am wondering how i should build them... currently i'm thinking of doing what the box shows and having 16 crossbows/12 spears and want to know if this is worth doing.
Last edited by Sidorio on Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Equipment: 2 asrai short swords, assassins dagger, silver dagger, modified repeater crossbow (20/20), hunting spear, Cloak of Dusk, full leather armour
Inventory: talisman of protection, talisman of night, smoke bombs x6, rope x2, healing balms x10, climbing axe x2, skinning knives, winter gear, Vikarh map, pouch of powder, 4 fire bombs
Colonel
Black Guard

Post by Colonel »

Id just make them all crossbows if you are going to make up a bunch of corsairs as your fighting troops
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

I would recommend making them all crossbows as Colonel suggested. Since you will have both corsairs and cold one knights for combat you should be fine on that account.
Putting two units of 10 crossbowmen gives you enough ranged firepower to hold your own in the shooting phase.
Get yourself a sorceress or two and you should be set for the magic phase as well. That should get you to 1000pts.
Play a few games and look in the tactics and army list forums and you should be able to start your way to higher point scales without growing your army so fast you feel lost in the process of learning how the army works.
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.
Oscar1492
Dark Rider

Post by Oscar1492 »

druchii77 wrote:I have found that, unfrotunately, GW rarely sells models in numbers that the players needs. Thus, if you want to start out with basic warriors, I usually would recommend 2 boxes. This will yield 32 models. I would build 20 spears with full command and 12 crossbows with musician and shields. This is a great start.

yer i did that and have found it as a good starting point im still haveing trouble ranking up my elves though
Sidorio
Assassin

Post by Sidorio »

Yeah, i'm building them all up as crossbows, having 2 units of 14 with shields, muscician and a guardmaster for his BS bonus. that way the units should be covered and have the mdles for ranged support.

I'm also using my leftover bits and one of the corsair parts (so i only have 19 corsairs now) to convert myself a BSB on foot. I'll be getting a general later and will proxy until then.

Thanks for the advice!!!
Last edited by Sidorio on Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hans von darkelf
Corsair

Post by Hans von darkelf »

i agree corsairs and crossbows, a must is the harpys all you need is the min of 5 and take out your opponents warmachine crews 10 attacks from unit of 5 its good
Dalamar wrote:It was the alien hat!

Now we know the truth :twisted:
Sidorio
Assassin

Post by Sidorio »

Yeah... i posted an army up, and have changed it and will repost it at some point, anyway... i have built 5 Cold One Knights with full command, 2 units of 14 Repeater Crossbowman with shields and a muscician and guardmaster with each and 15 corsairs with full command, the other 5 wil be built in a bit as it turns out my battalion was missing a base, but that has been fixed up and my new base will be ariving soon.

Anyway, yes i need harpies, i'll be taking 2 units aswell as some shades, Reaper Bolt Throwers, excecutioners and more corsairs.

Oh and obviously characters and an assassin.
Last edited by Sidorio on Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hans von darkelf
Corsair

Post by Hans von darkelf »

i use 10 cold one knights led by a heroe errm... they get alot of attention i must say but a brilliant linebreaker
Dalamar wrote:It was the alien hat!

Now we know the truth :twisted:
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

@oscar1492, Sidorio, Hans von Darkelf.

There are capital letters and punctation marks for a reason. Please use them.

Edit Your posts please.
Druchii Discussion moderator.