Harpies conversion - How to do it???

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Enfant terrible
Cold One Knight

Harpies conversion - How to do it???

Post by Enfant terrible »

I'm really in the dark here - I'm definitely not a fan of the current harpy range, but I really haven't seen many conversions out there that had me convinced either, so what to do? Has anybody seen conversions that were recommendable??
"... Why so serious? ..."
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

many people use old daemonettes of slaanesh for the conversion, just adding wings to them

I use same old daemonettes but also cut off al their clothes, and give them new hands. in fact, I intend to remake them now that my conversion skills have improved; this time i'm going to give them feathery wings and ghoul hands

if you can't get your hands on the old daemonettes, you might try the new ones. the fact that they are made out of plastic might mean that it'll be easier to get them rid off clothes.
Akyro
Warrior

Post by Akyro »

I don't like the current harpies either, but I've seen a conversion on this very site that I'll likely use myself.

http://www.druchii.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=2562

This is done by a member named Proper

The problem with converting harpies is finding wings. Most of the time buying wings seperatly would cost too much, so I'm all for this one.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

I just use the existing figures de-warted and with head swaps.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Enfant terrible
Cold One Knight

I have also thought of the daemonettes (and have seen quite a few conversions made from them), but just wasn't sure if they were the best way to go about the harpies, but it seems to be so ... hmm ... Do people in generel prefer feathery or leathery wings? I myself would say leathery!
Neves
Black Guard

Post by Neves »

And if you wouldn't want to convert, there are always the Gamezone harpies.

http://www.battlefield-berlin.de/shop/i ... t=GZ_06-55

I bought them myself and am very satisfied with the high detail!
On my signal...unleash Hell.
Enfant terrible
Cold One Knight

Neves wrote:And if you wouldn't want to convert, there are always the Gamezone harpies.

http://www.battlefield-berlin.de/shop/i ... t=GZ_06-55

I bought them myself and am very satisfied with the high detail!

They are actually pretty neat - it's a shame there are only two different sculpts!
Neves
Black Guard

Post by Neves »

No there are more, around 5. Try looking under 'infantry' in the 'Dunkelelfen' category. There's a single model 'embrace of the harpie' and 2 types of blisters.
On my signal...unleash Hell.
Enfant terrible
Cold One Knight

Ohh .. thx! The sorceress is also pretty good!
Chudas
Slave on the Altar

Post by Chudas »

Is it possible to convert them using daemonettes and harpy wings which is GW offering as bitz on their official site? I am not quite sure about attaching those wings.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

Chudas wrote:Is it possible to convert them using daemonettes and harpy wings which is GW offering as bitz on their official site? I am not quite sure about attaching those wings.

Unfortunately, not really as the wings are not a completely separate bit, i.e. some of the wings are on the harpy body.

While I prefer leathery wings myself, the feathery conversion linked to above is really nicely done!
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Irtehdar
Assassin

Post by Irtehdar »

Ive seen all sorts of conversions to cheap alternative harpies. Some of the more unusual is:
Squiggs with greenstuffed wings.
Warmaster great eagles.
Night Goblins with their faces, hands and feet cut out and added wings from batswarms. (those were quite cool)
Ungors painted fiery yellow/orange/red with added gargoyle wings.
Skeletons with greenstuffed skeletal wings.

What Im doing myself is skinks with khemri skeleton heads and greenstuffed knifelike claws.

Ive heard of people using warmaster harpies, terradons, kroots, giant bats. So really anything you can come up with that can fit with the rules can work.
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.
Nidhogg
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Nidhogg »

Iam going to make conversion out of new daemonettes coz they look cool and that would be a cheap way to have 2 units of 5 harpies in my army.

Can anyone advice me about cheapest way to get some wings for them?
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh...
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

cheapest wings would be to take a visit to the closest toy store and check out if there are any toys with a fitting size.

I'm quite sure that the second wave of Druchii will include plastic harpies, along with plastic dragon/manticore or pegasus (one of them, not all three) and chariot.
I'm just gonna wait and see what the second wave holds before I start converting anything.
//Kheel

Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.
Chudas
Slave on the Altar

Post by Chudas »

And does anyone know when the second wave will be released?
Brickrock121
Slave on the Altar

Post by Brickrock121 »

I used a box of plastic Daemonettes and some bitz ordered harpy wings. They were pretty hard to attach, but have come out really nicely. I Drilled holes all the way through the top tips of the wings and attached them with wire, clipping off the excess. To hide the joins I green-stuffed over them.
A bit of a bugger, but worth it in the end. Even though the Harpy wings were £16 all in from GW, it represented a significant saving over buying metal ones and they look much better.
Svennh
Warrior

Post by Svennh »

I just bought 5 harpies from the D&D range at 0.71 euro the piece. They have two kind of harpîes and just need to be cut losse from the base.
Nidhogg
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Nidhogg »

You mean this one: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/dod_g ... _Harpy.jpg ? Looks quite terribly... but, at the other hand, 2 units of harpies for 7e...
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh...
Svennh
Warrior

Post by Svennh »

Yes they look terrible but its a nice subsition untill I got more money for nicer models. The model size is just right. I'll post a repainted model as soon as possible.

Maybe you could cut of the wings and use them for conversions.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Mine when I finish the conversion will just be de-warted harpies with dryad heads.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

toget wings I looked for heroclix winged minis, for more or less 11$ I got more than 20 minis with differnt kind of wings (feathers, bat, reptile etc) so you can attach them to any mini you want, daemonettes etc.
Death before dishonor
Tastyfish
Arch-deviant of the Cult of Pleasure

Post by Tastyfish »

Ghouls make a good base, this one isn't one of mine but the model that inspired them.

Might but try and get a picture of mine up, but imagine one of those with cut down dryad heads. Unless you've got a friend who plays wood elves the one in the picture will be cheaper (£20 for a full set of 10 from GW mail order and a web stockist for the ghouls) however I'm fortunate enough to have a girlfriend who dislikes the more 'human' dryad heads, leaving be with enough for 10 harpies. I've yet to paint them up yet (...like pretty much the rest of my army) but it shouldn't be too hard to get the few spines on the dryad heads to resemble the matted hair in the illustrations. Definitely adds a slightly more elven touch and whilst keeping the bestial look of the hunched canabalistic ghouls.

Actually, here is a site that sells individual dryad heads in the UK. Mine are mostly F & B, with the odd G and C.
Want to write background or fluff for the Herald? PM me
Slortor
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Slortor »

i made the new daemonettes with fury or harpy wings - they work pretty nicely
Name: Khalia D'Vaarko (meaning: Khalia, property of Vaarko)
Height/Weight: 5'6", 8 stone
Other: no distinguishing features, barring the brand of a great house left wrist.
Class: Mage
Equipment: Robes, Dagger, Staff
Skills: Power of Ulgu, Power of Chamon
Stats: Ws3, S3, T3, D4, I5

lrnec wrote: Reality and truth is more brutal than almost any fantasy game
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

Tastyfish wrote:Ghouls make a good base, this one isn't one of mine but the model that inspired them.

lol..this one stole my idea... :lol:

this is one of the ways I´m going to use to achieve my harpis..think they look menacing
Death before dishonor
Vissmh
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Vissmh »

Like others suggested, I made harpies from the new daemonettes, ghoul arms and furrie wings. Took awhile to assemble, but I like the look above the current available model. I have attached a link to my WIP harpies, hope it works.

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92 ... G_1584.jpg