1000-2500 army list

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Asegai
Slave on the Altar

1000-2500 army list

Post by Asegai »

So, for starters, I want to point out that I'm a complete newbie when it comes to warhammer other than the basics of painting, so have some patience with this piece of fresh meat and a lil extra explenation would always be welcome :P So on with the show...

I have ordered the following units so far:
1 Pack of Cold One Knights
3 Repater Bolt Throwers (1 is just for playing and checking techniques x3)
1 Pack of Witch Elf Command
1 Lokhir Fellheart

Somewhere in the flat I'm living in atm are the scattered parts of:

1 Charriot of Blood (not cauldron -> Charriot <-, and since I have seen no reference to this unit before on the forums I'm guessing its not a valid unit anymore? It is 7 years old afterall...)
1 Rakarth Dragonrider, Beastlord
2 Packs of normal Dark Elf Warriors (very old ones, atleast 8+ years)
1 Pack of (once again) old Witch Elves

----

So as the order is dropping in hopefullt within the weeks, I was thinking of ways to expand my little army. I'm aiming at 1000-2500 point games, and actually re-gathering and building up my Beastlord once again (the rest are just extras, so don't count on those) and my question would be: What unit/s would be the best to get now? conscidering everyone (?) thinks that Harpies are quite handy I'd guess thats one thing for sure, but what more?

I'm trying to reach an army thats balanced in both hand-to-hand combat aswell as ranged ballistic combat. I've never been a huge fan of magic based attacks but I wouldn't want my army to be too vulnerable for magic either so I'm guessing somekind of spell disrupts/protections (if those exist <.<') wouldn't be out of place. Tips, tricks, tweaks aswell as explenations on w t H the specific magic items do are always welcome ^^

Thank you in beforehand
/Yours Truly
Cathel
Noble

Post by Cathel »

First let me welcome you to Druchii.net. Hope you will like it here.
If you are interested in how to build an up to date army and what to use, I recommend you have a look at the D.R.A.I.C.H. (look into my signature for a link). That's a bunch of articles dealing with out army and how to handle it with the new book.

If you want to go anti-magic take null shards and ring of hotek.

Remember you need core units, harpies don't count.
RXB warriors are great since the new book. As are COK and Black guard in filling special slots.

Do you have any enemy you are facing more often than others?
If they were not sitting on our land, I would not spend a single bolt on the Asur.
How to tell apart the elves:
Men run naked - Asrai
Women run naked - Druchii
Don't know whether man or woman - Asur
Asegai
Slave on the Altar

Post by Asegai »

Thank you for the warm welcome.

And yes, I know I need core units, but I'm clueless on what strenghts / weaknesses the different units have, which is why I'm asking for pointers ^^

As for an "arch-enemy" no.... far from it... to be completly honest I have never ever played a game in my life yet :P
Cathel
Noble

Post by Cathel »

I am currently plaing in a campaign where we started with 1000 pts.
I tend to use DR and harpies for core choices. For special COK, shades and third slot depending on the enemy, Hydra for rare.
That emphasizes on the movement phase, which is imo what we do best.

There are some builds around here totally skipping the DR and people having success with it. So it can be done without.
Similar to you I have been collecting modells for some time but haven't played much.
So I do not think myself an experienced general.
The fast build works well for me. I think I need more experience to go well with something slower.

As for strengths / weaknesses I recommend you head over to the draich, since it will take a lot of posts to explain that. ;)

For example RXB are very good versus High elves, but lack very much versus dwarves.
If they were not sitting on our land, I would not spend a single bolt on the Asur.
Men run naked - Asrai
Asegai
Slave on the Altar

Post by Asegai »

Alright, so I finally got my stuff together and got really serious after work and went and bought the new copy of the Dark Elves Army (since mine was way outdated) and I composed the following army list:

Core

-Repeater Crossbow Men w/ Shield x 12 ... 132p
-Black Ark Corsairs w/ Handbow x 12 ... 120p
-Dark Rider w/ Shield + Repeater Crossbow x5 + Musician (thats 6 in total :p) ... 145p
-Assassin w/ Rending Star + Manbane + Hand of Khaine + Repeater Handbow + Additional Weapon x1 ... 106p
-Harpies x 5 ... 55p
-Harpies x 5 ... 55p
-Harpies x 5 ... 55p

Special

-Cold One Knights w/ Musician + BsB + Dread Knight w/ Ring of Hotek x6 ... 202p
-Cold One Knights w/ Musician x6 ... 170p
-Black Guard w/ BsB + Standard of Hag Graef x 16 ... 222p

Rare

-Repeater Bolt Thrower x 2 ... 200p

Hero / Lord

-Lokhir Fellheart x 1 ... 250p (Goes with the Black Guard's, General if possible)
-Malus Dreadblade x 1 ... 275p (goes with the 170p CoK's)

Total Points: 2241

------

Pointers and Tips to improve are more than welcome x3 I know my anti-magic is quite weak but I'm betting alot on getting my cavalry units in range for RoH to punch in quite fast.
Cathel
Noble

Post by Cathel »

Asegai wrote:Core
-Black Ark Corsairs w/ Handbow x 12 ... 120p
-Dark Rider w/ Shield + Repeater Crossbow x5 + Musician (thats 6 in total :p) ... 145p

Nice standard unit, but I would drop the shields, they lose Fast Cav rules, meaning no free formation changes and only shooting to front. That cuts down on their use.
Though I haven't used the corsairs in a long time, their is quite some discussion on the usefullness of rhb. They only fire 8", means you can charge as well. But Calisson is the professional on corsairs.
Asegai wrote: -Assassin w/ Rending Star + Manbane + Hand of Khaine + Repeater Handbow + Additional Weapon x1 ... 106p
-Harpies x 5 ... 55p
-Harpies x 5 ... 55p
-Harpies x 5 ... 55p

Special

-Cold One Knights w/ Musician + BsB + Dread Knight w/ Ring of Hotek x6 ... 202p
-Cold One Knights w/ Musician x6 ... 170p
-Black Guard w/ BsB + Standard of Hag Graef x 16 ... 222p

Rare

-Repeater Bolt Thrower x 2 ... 200p

Hero / Lord

-Lokhir Fellheart x 1 ... 250p (Goes with the Black Guard's, General if possible)
-Malus Dreadblade x 1 ... 275p (goes with the 170p CoK's)

Total Points: 2241

That looks good, having two hammers and an anvil. Ranged support is there, too.
I never tried to have two special characters. I always found numbers working better, though I do have to admit that I am very tempted to use Malus.
All your numbers on ranked units are multiples of 4, I assume you do not have the current edition rulebook. Ranks now have to be 5 wide to count.
Men run naked - Asrai