thinking of starting DE - first list, help please!

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Bork
Slave (off the Altar)

thinking of starting DE - first list, help please!

Post by Bork »

currently having a rethink of what armies i want to be playing. i play dwarfs and tzeentch warriors of chaos at the moment and will proberly be selling my dwarfs on to fund something else. dark elves are one of the few armies ive never collected in my 14 years of warhammer so with the new releases i thought id give them a go.

anyway this is what ive come up with.....

Dreadlord / black dragon, death piercer, armour of eternal servitude, pendant of khaeleth, shield, sea dragon cloak / 544

Sorceress / lvl 2, dispel scroll, darkstar cloak / 185

Sorceress / lvl 2, dispel scroll, sacrificial dagger / 185

19 warriors / full command, shields / 148 (sorceress)
5 dark riders / 85
5 harpies / 55
5 harpies / 55

18 black guard / standard and musician, standard of hag graef / 290

5 cold one knights / standard & champion, standard of slaughter / 202

war hydra / 175
war hydra / 175

2247pts

before anyone chimes in about using a dragon and 2 hydras i'll ask you not to. i play amongst competative gamers and in tournies so its the norm for me and my friends to play guts out.

ok so dreadlord on a black dragon, remarkably cheap considering. good in combat with KB lance, 2+save in combat, 1+ everything else and pendant. i'll be using him to rip up warmachines, shooty units and flanks etc.

2 sorcereress' pretty basic kit, scrolls, dagger and cloak to maximise PD input. what is the best lore to use with these gals?

core, 2 warrior blocks for the girls to hide in, cheap as chips and quite good defensive units. unit of dark riders to accompany my cold one knights and finally 2 units of harpies for general irritation, march blocking, war machine hassassment, screening etc.

next up a big unit of black guard, ASF with 12 S4 attacks is rather nice. stubborn, ITP and reroll all missis in CC i like it.

cold one knights, lovely figures and gotta have em really. stupidity can be a pain but oh well.

more than a bit cheesey especially with a dragon too but i LOVE the war hydra mini. and i hate RBT so two of these beauties to flank my central units and were done.

any thoughts for improvements or general advice on tactics etc would be appreciated.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

I would suggest crimson death in place of death piercer just be cause there is fianlly a ruling in the new errata for the rulebook to say that you lose your magic weapon if dismounted.

You have zero shooting so you do lack an easy way to deal with baiters and other irritation units, so maybe switch out you 19 spears for 14 RXB. you lose a few bodies but will be able to shoot annoying fast cav off the table.

Sac dagger is useful for boosting your magic but you are still light, so the archery will free the girls up a little for bigger things.

Consider the Cauldron of Blood. Adding killing blow to your Black Guard, Harpies or CoKs can be a major advantage.

My only thought on composition is that you are a little thin on the ground due to the Dragon and Hydras, so maybe drop the CoK champ and 4 BG to get a small unit of witches (6 or 7) and just leave them behind your RXB as a reserve. They can flank anything that attacks your BG or RXB, deal with stuff comming on the rear table edge and generally mind your infantry so that the CoKs, hydras, and dragon can be fully offensive.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Ukko
Shade

Post by Ukko »

If you really play guts-out, might I suggest you just caddy one sorcerer and get a champion with the ring of hotek in your BG. You'd have a better magic defence than you have now and medium magic is hugely ineffective in my experience. You'd then have 180 points odd to get an assassin in with some change left over. I also prefer the warbanner or banner of cold blood to the standard of slaughter, and have always found musicians to be very valuable on fear-causing hitters like CoK but that's a preference thing.
Bork
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Bork »

thanks for the advice, had another look at it. dropped a sorceress and made the remaining one a caddy. id liked to have taken part in the magic phase but your right, two mid lvl casters never achieve much. i'll keep deathpiercer, the killing blow is too useful. chances are if i get "unhorsed" he's a gonna anyway. added two units of xbowman which should be sufficiant to eliminate any irritating fast cav or flyer units. black guard champ has ring of hotek and added another unit of cold one knights and black riders.

got two distictive elements, solid core of blackguard, warriors flanked by hydras, supported by xbows. fast element led by the dreadlord with cold one knights, dark riders and harpies.

better?

LORDS
Dreadlord / black dragon, death piercer, armour of eternal servitude, pendant of khaeleth, sea dragon cloak / 541

HEROES
Sorceress / 2x dispel scrolls / 150

CORE

10 repeater crossbowman / 100

10 repeater crossbowman / 100

5 dark riders / musician / 92

5 dark riders / musician / 92

5 harpies / 55

5 harpies / 55

SPECIAL
18 black guard / full command, standard of hag graef, champion has ring of hotek / 329

5 cold one knights / standard, standard of slaughter / 186

5 cold one knights / standard / 151

RARE
war hydra / 175

war hydra / 175

2249pts
[/quote]
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Looks fine
"Luck is the residue of design"
Amras
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Amras »

I like the look of this list :) I just started Dark Elves too, and I love certain units more than others. You have lots of Hydras, Knights, Harpies, Dark Riders, Crossbowmen and a Dragon, all of which I like :D

I don't care much for Black Guard myself, but I don't hate them either, and they are very good in combat, so there's no reason not to take them ;)
"Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer."