Need advice on shooting / magic army.

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Seiryu
Slave on the Altar

Need advice on shooting / magic army.

Post by Seiryu »

Well , Let me start off by saying that I have not ever actually played a game of warhammer before. Me and my room mate are both starting out now and I decided to go with Dark Elves. We both have watched a lot of games played and are pretty familiar with the rules and how the game is played but I am still a bit unclear on a good army setup. I was hoping to make a shooting / magic heavy army but not to the point that it has no power in CC. Basically since im not too familiar with the game I was hoping to get some advice on a 2000 point Shooting / Magic heavy army for a new player.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Check out the other lists between 1,000 ad 1,500 points and start there. Once you have a list at those points you like, you can expand to higher points

magic heavy is 2 sorc at 1,000, 3 sorc at 1,500 and 2 sorc and a supreme sorc at 2,000.

You can include useful combat and mobility elements in the army as well magic. My preference is CoKs, which I run in place of DR, and use harpies to bait. Which infantry you use is your choice, but it can't cut into the magic or mobility components of the list. I use RXB so they can contribute to the ranged part of the battle, but run them in big units so they can stop the enemy with melee if required. Skip assasins as they take points away from the bodies which you need and the magic which you want. Other than the cauldron I use only sorc in my armies.

What my 2k list looks like
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=59609
"Luck is the residue of design"
Seiryu
Slave on the Altar

Post by Seiryu »

Do you think the CoB is really worth using? i was looking at it but i just didnt know if its benefit justified its point value. Of course i havent really played yet so obviously i wouldnt know. Also i noticed your lack of rbt which I was planning on using. I was also considering maybe a hydra and i was planning to use DR also. Was wondering if maybe you could explain some of the thinking behind your choices since i dont really have any experiance with the game yet. Thanks.
Megazephyr
Corsair

Post by Megazephyr »

Seiryu wrote:Do you think the CoB is really worth using? i was looking at it but i just didnt know if its benefit justified its point value. Of course i havent really played yet so obviously i wouldnt know. Also i noticed your lack of rbt which I was planning on using. I was also considering maybe a hydra and i was planning to use DR also. Was wondering if maybe you could explain some of the thinking behind your choices since i dont really have any experiance with the game yet. Thanks.
dark riders can be expensive, and if you are just starting, they can be really... fragile, but i guess you gotta learn them at some point.

hydras are really nice, great psychological piece, your enemies fear them.

but i say, buy some basic units, either hydra or rbt, not necessarily both at the start, and play around, see what you like! and good luck with it!
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

CoB is not worth in a magic/shooting list!
RBT are extremely valuable, even if competing with the hydra.

Harpies are more interesting than DR for that kind of list:
they can delay the march-blocking of the opponent, and charge its warmachines. Sometimes they are useful just to screen more precious units from the opponent's shooting/magic.
DR can do that as well, but for much higher pts cost.

Did you have a look into the D.R.A.I.C.H. (top of tactics forum)? Plenty of answers for you. Click on the hyperlinks.
Magic/shooting heavy.........High shoot and magic list 2000 ....................magic/shooty DE possible?
*.....................................2250 magic&shooting
........................................2250 tourney winning list
*.....................................1000pts stationary army
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}