Need for Magic 2K

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Need for Magic 2K

Post by Ehakir »

Magic is my worst enemy. Everytime I try to use magic in my army, it just doesn't cut it. 2 Lvl 2's can't get anything worthwhile through (Wow, my 300+ pt. sorceresses have managed to cause D6 S4 on your unit!), and full magic seems not to be able to destroy the units, all mostly because of bad dice rolling...
But here is another try. I wanted to combine magic with a gunline, and still be able to cut down the remains of the enemy's army if they would reach my lines.

High Sorceress, Magic Level 4, Sacrificial Dagger

Sorceress, Magic Level 2, Tome of Furion

Sorceress, Magic Level 2, Lifetaker

Sorceress, Magic Level 2, Dispel Scroll

20 Warriors, Champion
Assassin, Additional Hand Weapon, Rune of Khaine, Touch of Death, Dark Venom

10 Crossbowmen
Assassin, Additional Hand Weapon, Rune of Khaine, Touch of Death

10 Crossbowmen
Assassin, Additional Hand Weapon, Rending Stars, Cloak of Twilight

5 Harpies

4 Reaper Bolt Throwers

I will deploy my army near my board edge, to give the Bolt Throwers another round of shooting before the enemy will arrive, and use the harpies to march block his army. The High Sorceress + Sorceress with Dispel Scroll will join the warriors, the lifetakersorc one of the crossbowunits, and the tomesorc the other one. The assassin of the crossbowmen will join the warriors, the other assassin with the cloak will just fly away and march block/shoot troops down.

C&C appreciated
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Well thats one way, entirely give up on ranged and mobility to just blast them with spells and hope your assasins get their points back.

drop one of the RBT for another 2 units of harpies and 2 of the assasins for 2 units of 5 naked CoKs and you will have at least as little melee power and better control of your opponent's movement phase.

Actually, drop the RBT completely and one of the lvl 2 sorc, add a CoB and a 25 strong spear block plus increase the size of the current one to 25.

4 infantry blocks, the 2 CoK, and the assasin with cloak of twilight give you some melees, CoB gives you excelent bonuses and the 3 girls should have 10 - 16 power dice if you roll for POD with 2 dice for each girl first.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Hulkster
Beastmaster

Post by Hulkster »

1 unit of harpies is not enough to march block. They will easily be taken out. I believe any druchii list worth its salt should have at lest 2 units of 5.

I see what you doig with your list but as Rabidnid pointed out, relying on assasins to help you clen up is, IMHO a mistake.

I would suggest dropping 2 assasins for 2 units of naked COK as Rabidnid suggested.

I don't think the CoB would hep much in this list, and it would be especially unfluffy, so I would not take it.

I would also think about trying to add 5 more spear-elves to the spear block and giving them full command.

Dropping a BT should allow you to do this and leave enough points for 5 harpies. (I am working this out off the top of my head as I do not have the army book out here with me :()

Hope this helps.
I love you
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

The list is too one dimensional. If you want Magic heavy look at benjis 2250 list.

Basically Druchii work but it need a lot of movement and EJ's BSB.
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
Hulkster
Beastmaster

Post by Hulkster »

TBH I think the idea of this is that it is 1 dimensional, and not every army needs that BSB. I personally don't see how it would help this list anyway.
I love you
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

The BSB means you can kill fast cav easily and he is another march blocker. With such a large magic phase miscasts are likely and with a small combat character you can pin units in place.

Horror

Hulkster
Beastmaster

Post by Hulkster »

True, but I think that this list, or what it was intended for, can still do without it.

I guess I am just sick of seeing that unit in lists.

I will take nothing away, it would work in this list. I do constantly forget about its combat potential against samll weak units (fast cav).
I love you
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

I find with that much magic and shooting you need something to support it. \Every army needs a combat option and some more scrolls would be nice as well, but it all depends on the environment being played.

Horror

Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

Ok, so in summary drop a bolt thrower, drop 2 assassins, add in CoK and harpies?
Drop assassins in crossbowmen = + 297
Drop RBT = + 100
Add in another unit of harpies = - 55
Add in two units of CoK = - 270

Which leaves me with 72 pts. left.
Don't you think it would be better to throw in chariots instead of Cold One knights, as I don't need the march movement?

3 Chariots > 42 pts left = another scroll + 2 spearelves+musician on the spearelves
2 CoK units > 72 pts. left = another scroll + 3 spearelves + shields on the spearelves + standard on spearelves

What would be the better option?
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Drop 2 RBT's to get a Hydra, drop 1 mage to get the EJ BSB, drop a assassin to get 5 CoK's and make the other assassin rending stars and manbane.

Horror

Hulkster
Beastmaster

Post by Hulkster »

If he does that though, the list just becomes another list, the idea of this is to be magic and shooty heavy.
I love you
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

He gains shooting with the hydra and having the shooting assassins as well. The thing is you gain some combat ability and a way to avoid a bad phase as you have a combat phase as well.

The army still has a shooting basis but you have some ways to beat most armies and making a gam off it rather than a dice rolling exercise.

Horror

Hulkster
Beastmaster

Post by Hulkster »

ehakir I would say the 3 chariots are the better option. IMHO they support infantry better, but watch out for S7 attacks

MM2 I am not sure Manbane and Rending stars Stack, so I am not considering that they play that way until the FAQ.

I think the 3 chariots will allow some sort of combat phase without slowly turning the list into the druchii cookie cutter list
I love you
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Depends on the organiser about rending stars. But S6 shooting is still good and it also means your assassins are muliti purpose.

I used 2 chariots at a tournament yesterday and i found them to be temperamental. I failed a lot of stupidity tests and lacked the punch.

This is not a cookie cutter list. If not forget the hydra and keep the RBTs but make sure the assassins are shooting as it supports the basis of your list.

Horror

Hulkster
Beastmaster

Post by Hulkster »

good point as regards to the assasins shooting

hopefull;y the FAQ qill come out and tell us that it is indeed stackable :D
I love you
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

Thank you very much for your help; I really think the list has improved a lot after your comments :D . I still have to playtest, but I will tell you the results
-Ehakir