2.0k Corsair list. please help

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Colinsherlow
Trainee Warrior

2.0k Corsair list. please help

Post by Colinsherlow »

First off thatnk you for taking the time to read this.

I am building a mostly corsair list for my Dark Elves and need some advice and help to make the list fun and semi-competive. i don't plan on winning tournaments with this list, but i'd still like to put up a fight with this army.

I want Lokhir Fellheart in the army because he is the main insperation for this list. but if you think i would be better of with out him fill me in on a cheaper alternative.
also i am trying to stay away from Khaine units, black guard and possibly even cold ones.

2000point corsairs.

HEROES
Lokhir Fellheart. 250pts

Master. BsB, Dark Stead, Heavy Armour, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, 2 Null Talismans, Sword of Might. 172pts

Sorceress. lvl 1, Dispel Scroll, Ring of Hotek. 150pts (i know i know, i'll explain after if you haven't already figured it out)

CORE
20 Corsairs, 2 weapons, full command, Sea Serpant Standard. 250pts
Assassin. 2 weapons, Touch of Death, Rune of Khaine, Black Lotus. 171pts
(Lokhir is in this unit)

15 Corsairs, 2 weapons, full command, Warbanner. 200pts

10 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen. Shields. 110pts (modeled with dragon cloads instead of shields)

10 Dark Elf Warriors. Shields. 70 pts (using the direct only lokhir shields)

5 Dark Riders, Repeaters, 110pts

5 Harpies. 55pts

SPECIAL
5 Shades, 2 weapons. 85pts

RARE
2 Reaper Bolt Throwers. 200 pts

War Hyrda. 175pts. (converted to be a sea monster. maybe a Kraken busting through ice or it'll be a Sea drake)

1998points.

I'm not exactly sure what to do with this list so I could use some help please and thank you.

The reason i put the Ring of Hotek on the sorceress is because my oponent will assume the Ring is on the BsB and avoid casting magic near him. i'll hopefully suprise them when they magic something near the sorceress instead. also if they find out the BsB has magice resist 2 then they might also assume that i don't have a Ring and that the sorceress is just a scroll caddy. that's the jest of it anyways. i'll have to try it out and see how it goes
Hulkster
Beastmaster

Post by Hulkster »

I not sure what to say really. I dont like your army at all, far to few models.

You need to have IMHO at least 3 large blocks of corsairs, at least 1 units of RXB Elves and 2 bolt throwers in ever corsair list.

I really font understand the point of the Warriors, waste of points, they would be better used on harpies.

I would also swap the 2 null talismans for the Pendent of Kaeleth. That makes the BSB a small unit killer on his own and you can send him off to hold up a bloodthrister for a couple of rounds.

RoH on the sorceress is a mistake. Our caddies can still cast decent magic. Remeber we can use as many dice as we want to cast a spell. So we can use all 3 power Dice instead of just 2, to cast a spell.

See might get a spell off and suprise your opponent. I recommend Fire Magic.

I would bin the SSS from Loks unit, you dont want him getting baited into fights he cannot win.

The assasin should be in the other corsair unit so that you dont have all your eggs in one basket.

I think he would do better with RoK and Manbane

I would take one corsair out of the 20 unit and stick it in the 15 unit. Then I would add the BSB as well, evens them up a bit more. I would also stick the warbanner in Loks units, you want him to win as much as possible.

You might even want to stick 2 more corsairs into the smaller unit and stick the BSB in the big one to improve your chances of double victory points

Hope that was all useful and made sense lol
I love you
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

You do not have to restrict your choices for a corsair army if your willing to convert and use some fluff.

The list has some Potential and I like it, though here are some changes I would make to it for myself.

Switch the Banners on the Units, your big mainstay block infantry does not want to be frenzied, especially because it contains your general, you want lokhir to fight where you want him and you want him to win combat so more static rez from the Warbanner would be nice.

The smaller unit could then be used as a frenzied flanker unit to help break combats.

And alternative would be to drop frenzy in favour of armour Peircing allowing the corsairs to tackle the heavier armoured units they encounter more effectively.

Bolt Throwers and Hydra are good no brainer choices help hold the line of your army.

Shades need great weapons IMHO in order for them to pack some punch in close combat, and a bloodshade never hurts more attacks and accuracy allows them to break small shooting units or flank charge and break it with their s5.

Harpies and Dark Riders for harrassment is good.

Really the only problem I had was Banner selection for generals unit. Frenzied general would be bad bad for me to easily baited unless you protected him like crazy but that would defy the point of letting him rip on some hapless foe.

Anyway tell us how the RoH on the Sorc goes, looks a tad unorthodox but I like random acts of strat change should surprise your opponent.
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Colinsherlow
Trainee Warrior

Post by Colinsherlow »

What about this.
2000point corsairs.

HEROES
Lokhir Fellheart. 250pts

Master. BsB, Dark Stead, Heavy Armour, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, 2 Null Talismans, Sword of Might. 172pts

Sorceress. lvl 1, Dispel Scroll, Ring of Hotek. 150pts (i know i know, i'll explain after if you haven't already figured it out)

CORE

Assassin. 2 weapons, Touch of Death, Rune of Khaine, Black Lotus. 171pts

20 Corsairs, 2 weapons, full command, Sea Serpant Standard. 250pts

20 Corsairs, 2 weapons, full command, banner of murder or warbanner?. 250pts

10 Corsairs. Repeater Handbow, musician, 105pts

10 Repeater Crossbowmen. Shields. 110pts

5 Dark Riders. Repeater Crossbows. 110pts

5 Harpies. 55pts

RARE

2 Repear Bolt Throwers. 200pts

Kraken (war hydra). 175pts

1998points.

Changing the characters around a little bit isn't a big deal for be at all. i would just like to keep lokhir fellheart. most ppl play with 4-8 levels of magic around so i don't think the sorceress will get many spells off at all so i figured might as well do the unexpected and give her the RoH. i'll try it out, but i'll most likely only do that a few times. (i tend to like the assassin how he is as he tends to killing blow characters most of the time. i do like mandbane though. also i'm not 100% sure where the characters and the assassin will go yet)
if i could i would like to have a unit of shades and another unit of either dark riders or harpies. but i don't have the points. i could always drop the hydra for these, but i figure it's the one thing that'll scare ppl a bit.

more suggestions about this new list would be vert welcome.

thank you Hulkster and Zardock for the comments so far. I wasn't too happy with the first list either.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

A couple of words of advice:

1. If the site goes slow and your post doesn't seem to be posting, don't keep on pressing the 'submit' button.

2. At the top right of your most recent post there is always a little x shaped button. It deletes your post. If you've gone a little crazy with the submit button, check the thread then use the delete button to get rid of them.

That is all.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

This is a fairly decent list and very much a fluffy list, but you will find it hard to penetrate armor with it as it is. Unfortunately, comptetitve armies don't always equal fluffy armies. If you were really wanting some additional punch, a chariot or a unit of knights would be good. At the cost of a corsairs unit, you could procure either, if not two of the chariots.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Hulkster
Beastmaster

Post by Hulkster »

If you want to keep it to the theme, don't change it.

If you dont care about the theme, add some CoK or some CoC.

But honestly , I love the new list.
I love you
Colinsherlow
Trainee Warrior

Post by Colinsherlow »

Thanks guys!

I'll play most games with the list the way it is. but i may add some cold ones as well for some other games. i'd probably drop the small corsair unit and a few more corsairs from the frenzy unit and add 5 cold one with a dread knight for a 155pts.
Colinsherlow
Trainee Warrior

Post by Colinsherlow »

if you can find some points for a chariot or something let me know as well. thanks
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

i'm not 100% sure where the characters and the assassin will go yet)
Lokhir has many S4 attacks. He benfits more from AP than frenzy.
Sure, if the frenzy unit charges a cheap bait, the terror should help not to be charged, but it would work only if the new charging unit would be in contact with Lokhir. His fancy jump works too late. So I advise to take the AP and keep Lokhir there.

For the KB assassin, it is the contrary: the goal is to KB, not to have armour saves. One more attack is always useful, even if they are so many already, you're still not unlikely to fail to KB at all. So frenzy is a better help than AP.
If the frenzied unit is baited to a difficult position, don't declare the assassin. If charged by a bigger unit, the assassin will be able to face that one.

I love the rhb corsair unit, however, its best use is screening, you don't need to screen corsairs with other corsairs.
There are other uses for that unit:
- sorceress babysitter, especially if she is to keep company with other units. In that case, the unit would follow the big troops rather than stay ahead.
- assassin home delivery: this smal unit looks inoffensive, it may arrive within charging distance of warmachines without triggering attention. If charged, then surprise!
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}