Need help choosing right spells against right enemies

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Dagger of assassination
Corsair

Need help choosing right spells against right enemies

Post by Dagger of assassination »

I need some advices choosing right lores and spells against these enemies.
(Special characters are not allowed in tournament where i am going)

1. The slann (lizardmen)

- I know that the pit of shades is best but is there anything else?

2. High Elf Prince on Star Dragon with dragon armour
- Because the dragon armour. Fire and metal lores doesnt do any damage to the prince. But can i use metal or fire spells against the dragon what that prince is riding?

3. High Elf Dragon princes

- I cant use metal or fire lores because the dragon armour. If there is no good way with magic attacks then i need unseen lurker to go to the CC before they charge.

Is there anything very very dangerous in new warriors of chaos army?
(what is really big problem to hydra for examble)

And i would like some advices against dwarf and empire gunlines
Through Hatred All Things Are Possible!
kynthuithalkein!
3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
The golden arrow
Cold One Knight

Post by The golden arrow »

Against the slann pit of shades is indeed the best, you would need to be able to use the rest of the lore though as the pit is not nearly garanteed (if you have some infantry heroes that can fly for example) . Now that he's T4 you can use any lore with many magic missiles/hits (dark/death/fire). Of these I think dark is the best as chillwind can be used to stop skinks/salamanders/razordon's from shooting.

And no, you can't attack the dragon or dragon princes with fire magic. Against the start dragon the pit would be the only thing remotely effective, the rest depends on the enemy army (death/dark is good against many units with it's many magical hits, but not against the dragon).

Against gunlines dark really shines with chillwind to stop the shooting and bladewind to kill of the crew.

Hope that's been of some help.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Of the 4 lores we have access to Dark is the best, it has the highest damage potential and some really cute effects for its spells. Its strength isn't character killing though, so you will need other lores or ways to do that. Death with its soul stealer is a good option, and metal's targetable spell is worth it versus heavily armoured characters. Versus everything else you will need to smack them around the head with the BG or shoot them to bits rather than using magic.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

High Elf Prince with Star Dragon and immune to fire (yes it makes the Dragon immune as well).

Lore of Death - Soul Stealer and the usual 2d6 S4 missiles should hurt the guy above and might wound the dragon too, you never know.

But youll have to throw S6 bolts at it with RBTs to weaken it anyway.
Or an Assassin or two to kill the Dragon ;P
Izirath
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Izirath »

Just get the execs Axe. It works wonders for anything with alot of wounds!
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

1. Against Lizards, I'd take Dark Lore, and it's not because of the Slann (although against him, as well). Dark Lore will help ypu to neutralize salamanders and skinks (at least if you are going to use the rules for old LM, I don't know the rules for the new LM well enough yet). When you deal with those other units, you'll be able to deal with the slann.

2. Against High Elves, I like Death Lore most, with Dark Lore being my second favourite. Spells 1 and 3 are good old MMs, and they are the only spell that require any LOS in the lore. Spell 2 snipes any nasty stuff, and just autowounds the Star Dragon (or DP champion, for example) with no AS. Spell 4 is good in combats which you are likely to win only narrowly (most combats agains Asur). Spell 5 is exceptionally good against most anything. Spell 6 just hurts elves a lot.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Lakissov wrote:1. Against Lizards, I'd take Dark Lore, and it's not because of the Slann (although against him, as well). Dark Lore will help ypu to neutralize salamanders and skinks (at least if you are going to use the rules for old LM, I don't know the rules for the new LM well enough yet). When you deal with those other units, you'll be able to deal with the slann.

2. Against High Elves, I like Death Lore most, with Dark Lore being my second favourite. Spells 1 and 3 are good old MMs, and they are the only spell that require any LOS in the lore. Spell 2 snipes any nasty stuff, and just autowounds the Star Dragon (or DP champion, for example) with no AS. Spell 4 is good in combats which you are likely to win only narrowly (most combats agains Asur). Spell 5 is exceptionally good against most anything. Spell 6 just hurts elves a lot.

Spell 5 in Death, doom and Darkness, is wonderful if you are using a lot of magic missles and shooting. The panic check at -3 to leadership can have fast units routing off the table in the first couple turns.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Dagger of assassination
Corsair

Post by Dagger of assassination »

Thanks for those advices. More information for my army: size 2k, I think i take one supreme sorceress and then i was thinking about 3 sorceress
(but is this too much?!?), to rare i originally planned 2 hydras but i think 1 hydra and 2 RBTs, then core is all most just spear warriors(i dont have harpies or dark riders) then 2 chariots to special and bg unit would be great but it doesnt fit to the point limit. And of course assassin to protect supreme sorceress.
Through Hatred All Things Are Possible!
kynthuithalkein!
3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Megazephyr
Corsair

Post by Megazephyr »

Question, does pit of shades give a test for both the dragon and the rider? or just the mount?
Cerealkiller195
Dark Rider

Post by Cerealkiller195 »

fluff wise i keep my lvl 2 sorceress with dark magic always, with my lvl 2 w/ tome of furion i switch between lores. What would be a good second magic lore? since everyone says dark would be a good start but if you had the option to pick a supporting lore what would it be?
Malerun
Trainee Warrior

Post by Malerun »

Dagger of Assassination wrote:one supreme sorceress and then i was thinking about 3 sorceress (but is this too much?!?),

IMHO, yes. I don't think the difference between SS+3lvl2 and SS+2lvl2 is great enough to warrant the lack of a BSB. With ld9 you sometimes needs the reroll badly. The 2lvl2s usually brings the Darkstar Cloak and Focus Familiar. FF means she can hide behind RxB and slide out of the way if they are charged, then the charger will pass her when overrunning or pursuing.

Dagger of Assassination wrote:assassin to protect supreme sorceress.

I have some initial success with SS+PoK+dagger (Dark Lore), with no further protection. If she gets Soul Stealer, she can go toe on toe with most characters and the Pendant saves the unit of loads of wounds, which means they might win or hang in there. If she don't get SS she leaves the unit when HtH approaches or sometimes takes the corner position in the unit and accepting challenges with a unit champion.

The corner position while in HtH is nice as you can still have LoS to a lot of stuff and HtH only forbids magic missiles.
Megazephyr
Corsair

Post by Megazephyr »

sadly, the pit of shades would suck against a dragon prince, with init 6 he would have to roll a 6 to fail, so the chances of it actually hurting him are slim to none. if its a character on a mount, they use the initiative which gives them the best chance to succeed the test.

as fora second lore instead of dark magic, you could always do death, they have some nifty spells. i guess it really depends on your army type. Shadow could give you the ability to give a standard unit a 20" charge range. but, it depends.