2000 point Monster/Magic list - 1st Druchii list, C&C pl

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Wanderlust
Slave (off the Altar)

2000 point Monster/Magic list - 1st Druchii list, C&C pl

Post by Wanderlust »

Hey all - I registered here years ago, but heard there was a new DE book on the way so decided I'd stick with my High Elves (traitor, I know) until then.

So, with the new book and models and all, I'm quite drawn to the Dark Elves. I am a big fan of Classics - as in the Greeks and Romans and stuff, mostly the Greeks - and mythology (so much so my High Elf army is based off a Greek army with lots of chariots, spears, Light Cavalry and a few Skirmishers).

I wanted to do something different, yet still classical-related. With the new release of the Dark Elves, and realising I could fit in a load of Classical monsters, I thought now was a good time to plan out an army. I wanted to also go Magic-heavy with the force, as I only have 2x Lvl2s in my High Elves (and one is primarily defensive, the other in a chariot!)

With this list, I still have 150 points to spend (it's supposed to be a 2,000 point list), so please can you tell me what you think of the list, and what you think I should spend the points on?

Lords

Dreadlord: Sword of Ruin, Shield, Blood Armour, Seadragon Cloak & Potion of Strength. Mounted on a Manticore.
The theory behind this guy is that I can attack some weak RnF unit to boost my Armour Save, then go hunting a Character or problematic unit - for one turn I can jump to Str7 and deny saves all the time, so I didn't think him too shabby, but I guess it's an expensive combo. I really only took a Lord as I wanted a Manticore and all 3 Hero slots free.

Heroes

Sorceress: Level 2, Biting Blade & Tome of Furion. Mounted on a Dark Pegasus.
Good chance of getting something nasty like Souleater, and a magic weapon in case any Ethereals are sent after her (and I expect her to get close-ish to enemy units, so it's a little cheap maybe-it'll-help item). Would use Dark Magic & make use of Pegasus' mobility to get nasty spells where needed. Plus Pegasi are mythical creatures, so fit the theme!

Sorceress: Level 2, Hand Weapon & Darkstar Cloak. Mounted on a Dark Pegasus.
Lots of power dice available. Would use Dark Magic & make use of Pegasus' mobility to get nasty spells where needed. Plus Pegasi are mythical creatures, so fit the theme!

Sorceress: Level 2, Hand Weapon & The Hydra's Teeth. Mounted on a Dark Steed.
Hides in a block of Crossbows. Will use either Dark Magic or Lore of Metal, depending on foe. Can ride out and unleash a hail of Hydra's Teeth for surprise attacks against War Machines, or to give anything attacking the Crossbows a nasty surprise - it may not be the best combo, but I really like it

Core

15 Dark Elf Warriors: Shields, Musician & Standard Bearer.
Not sure on the point of Unit Champions - I see them as a liability against enemy characters, since T3 and low armour means the enemy can get large Overkill bonuses

15 Dark Elf Warriors: Shields, Musician & Standard Bearer.
see above

10 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen: Shields.
The Repeater Crossbows look nasty, and I've little shooting in my HE so I thought they'd be a nice change. Wanted the Shields so my entire line would look like a shield wall - it's all about style when playing with the Elves IMO.

5 Harpies.
Classical monsters - what's not to like? Seem useful in-game for acting as a screen (not literally, I know) for the Manticore/(literally for) Pegasus and for hunting War Machines

5 Harpies.
More is better!

Rare

War Hydra.
Ah, another mythical monster. And seems powerful too, so I know that for once my theme might actually be beneficial to my army!

War Hydra.
What? I like monsters!

1850 (150 left to spend)

Ok, the current plan:

Spears and Crossbows make a battle line (Crossbows in centre of the two units), with the Horse Mage in the Crossbows.

The Lord on Manticore takes one flank, supported by the Harpies (who fly with him and tie up units/target war machines).

The Hydras take the other flank (the Spears/Crossbows try to keep pace with the Hydras to limit flanking attacks)

The Pegasus Mages either hide behind the Spear blocks, moving out to attack choice targets, or they ride with the Lord (screened by the Harpies) to unleash Chillwind at units trying to shoot the Manticore, then generally unleashing magical destruction while the Manticore/Lord kill things in combat.

Ok, my force is currently light on numbers - but I've another 150 points to spend yet! What should I spend these points on? Below is a breakdown on the units I was thinking of, listed in order of: Similarity to High Elf army (ie, I'd prefer something different but if these units are really effective I guess I can stand some repetition across the forces) -> a little different -> different but don't help with the numbers -> different and boost numbers -> more of the same stuff already taken.

~8 Shades with Great Weapons
I use Shadow Warriors in my HE, not sure if I want a simliar unit or not
~6 Dark Riders with RXBs
I use Ellyrion Reavers in my HE, not sure if I want a simliar unit or not
~12 Executioners
I anchor my Spears with White Lions in my HE, and again that seems like a similar role for the Executioners

~11 Black Guard
See my worries about the Executioners above - though I guess the BG aren't quite the same as GW-wielding blocks...

~5 Cold One Knights
Pack a punch and would make good counter-chargers for my lines - but don't really boost my numbers.
Assassin + Cloak of Shadows + 30pts of gear
A nice surprise, and very Druchii, but I think I'd be better off with more bodies in one form or another

~15 Witch Elves
~15 Corsairs

Both seem like handy fighters, and could both make good screens for my Hydras (ie, ranging ahead and diverting units) or guarding the flank of my Spearmen/Xbow line. Which unit of the two, I'm not sure - Corsairs seem more durable to shooting, but might be a little same-y to White Lions, so I'd lean more towards the Witch Elves - is this a good move?

~13 Xbow/Harpies
A little bland, but I guess more isn't the end of the world as the units are quite useful
~21 Warriors
Again, bland and perhaps not the best troops, but would boost my numbers (perhaps another 5 to the existing units and another unit of 10), if not my hitting/sticking powers

I apologise for a very long and rambling post, but I'm trying to get to grips with the DE army and have only had the book a few days. I know what I want to do with the force (magic and monsters) but it's supporting these elements that I'm finding tricky. Any help, comments and/or criticisms regarding the list would be really appreciated.
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

First off. Try to keep your casters out of combat. Should your sorceress need her biting blade, then she will already be dead. Drop it and pump up their casting and defensive abilities through dispel scrolls and magic items.

I would also consider beefing up your spears to a full 20 models apiece. Then you can go for some meatier fighters suchs as Cold One knights or Black Guard.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Megazephyr
Corsair

Post by Megazephyr »

Which armies do you plan to do battle with? And id say Cold ones over Black Guard, you may need a little bit faster units that can back up your manticore, get him out of a tough spot.
Wanderlust
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Wanderlust »

I could take the extra 5-per-unit Spears, that would leave me (having dropped the Biting Blade) with 85 points to spend.

This could get me 6 Executioners with either a Champion or a Musician to protect the flanks of my line. Does this sound like a good idea? I know they won't stand up to a charge from Knight units, but if they can hit a flank they should be nice and fun, right?

I know logic says Black Guard are better than Executioners, but when only a small number can be fielded, the Execitioners surely win?

I may try to cheapen my General too (I'm thinking Hydra Blade or Sword of Might as opposed to the Sword of Ruin, then upgrading to Armour of Darkness - should free me 5 points or more, depending on the chosen weapon.

As for who I face, at my local 2 stores I believe every single army is represented. A fair few High Elves and the odd Chaos players, and by now probably another couple of Dark Elf players too. I know there are some Wood Elves and Ogres and a lot of Empire, and soon-to-be-new Lizardmen on the cards.

++EDIT++

How does this look?

Lords

Dreadlord: Soulrender, Armour of Darkness & Potion of Strength. Mounted on a Manticore.

Heroes

Sorceress: Level 2, Hand Weapon & Tome of Furion. Mounted on a Dark Pegasus.

Sorceress: Level 2, Hand Weapon & Darkstar Cloak. Mounted on a Dark Pegasus.

Sorceress: Level 2, Hand Weapon & The Hydra's Teeth. Mounted on a Dark Steed.

Core

20 Dark Elf Warriors: Shields & Full Command.

20 Dark Elf Warriors: Shields & Full Command.

10 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen: Shields.

5 Harpies.

5 Harpies.

Special

7 Executioners: Draich-Master.

Rare

War Hydra.

War Hydra.

1989 (11 left)

77 Models altogether.

Same tacitcs as before, but with a much cheaper Lord. The Executioners can hold one of my flanks - which, I'll have to experiment with.

How's it looking?
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

For coolness sake I say go Deathpiercer on your lord (10 points extra on your lord), your dreadlord won't strike last, but you get the strength bonus on your lord on the charge. However, this guy isn't meant for protracted combat. But the main benefit then is, both the attacks of the manticore as well as those of the lord will cause killing blow!

I don't know if your list is good or not, haven't tried anything like that (yet). It seems to me you'll do fine if you can keep stuff together, and with three terror causers and some nice SCR you'll do fine.
El_jairo
Trainee Warrior

Post by El_jairo »

I would try to get at least one dispell scroll in there, just in case those 5 dispell dice are not enough or your really want to be sure about stopping a spell.
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

El_Jairo wrote:I would try to get at least one dispell scroll in there, just in case those 5 dispell dice are not enough or your really want to be sure about stopping a spell.

He has a point. Dropping one dark pegasus will allow you to take two. While they look cool and fit your theme, they're the only thing mobile about your army. I'd consider dropping the dark pegasus on the sorceress with tome of furion, as you're planning to take dark magic with her and with three spells you've got a good chance of rolling soul stealer, so she can be effective in a spear block.