lizardmen help

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Jarbo
Trainee Warrior

lizardmen help

Post by Jarbo »

I have a game vs. lizardmen soon and since im new to DE i was wondering if anyone had any decent tips (must have magic items/weps, possible hero/lord choices, things to watch out for, etc). i have only played lizardmen twice so if anyone has any success stories and does and don's because im not to familiar with them so any and all tips will be much appreciated.
thanks all.
JARBO
W-L-D 2-0-0
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Bolt Throwers are good because they can get Skinks reasonably well, and the S4 helps against T4 lizards. CoKs are good with S6 on charge. Take out Slaans with Assassins if possible.

Good luck
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Which Lizardman list is he using, the old book or the new book?
Jarbo
Trainee Warrior

Post by Jarbo »

I assume the new one
W-L-D 2-0-0
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

What DEs do you have access to?
Jarbo
Trainee Warrior

Post by Jarbo »

Full range, plus i would be allowed to proxy anything i needed. the only restriction is no special chars. sorry i should have mentioned these things in the first post. our game will be 2250 points
W-L-D 2-0-0
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

grez90's D.R.A.I.C.H. - knowing your enemy
EDIT: written monthes ago, when the new LM AB wes not available.

LIZARDMEN
As a lizardmen player myself, I know many weaknesses to theses scaly cretins. First weakness is their movement, lizardmens main combat unit is one of the slowest in the game, and this is their main vulnerability. They are very tough in combat and can dish out a lot of damage, but against dark elf infantry, they are weak. You can outmanoeuvre them and so can hit first.
Lizardmens main distraction to this weakness is the trusty skinks. In units of 10 they can cause damage with blowpipes, be disposable, and are used for bait for the bigger lizards to feast on.
Never charge a skink unit in front of the enemy’s infantry as it is simply a trap. In order to get rid of skinks, just cast magic on them. Many enemy generals will think ‘they are just skinks, sure cast away’. But what they don’t realise is that they are so important to defending the combat units. If a lizardmen player has no screens to block magic and shooting, then he is in big danger. Lizardmen have very hard hitter with kroxigors and stegadons, but they have very poor armour.
Now i come to the main weapon of the lizards. The big fat frog that is....THE SLANN. The slann is one of the best mages in the game, and if it is 2nd generation, it is possibly the best mage in the game. It can choose multiple lore’s, gains +1 to cast and dispel, and does not suffer from the miscast table.

MAGIC
If you want to use magic against lizardmen, then go heavy, as it is very hard to overcome a slann. Chillwind is a very good spell against skinks as you need 2’s to kill and you stop them shooting. One of the other spells to use is the pit of shades, as saurus have an initiative of 1, and the slann is initiative 2, and so this is their main weakness, this spell is the reason for lizardmen dispel scrolls. Bladewind is also a good spell to use against saurus and kroxigors due to their poor weapon skill and poor armour.

SHOOTING
Shooting is a must against lizardmen, the bolt throwers and hydras are brilliant for this, bolt throwers can remove a slann or a stegadons within a couple of turns. The hydras are brilliant for getting rid of those skink screens, the breath weapon wounding on 2’s can cause panic on 1 unit, and terror can remove another unit. This means you can easily dispose of 2 units of skinks per turn.

COMBAT
Dark elves have a very good advantage over saurus in combat, as all our units will be hitting on 3’s with hatred which is very nasty. As we have a better movement, then it is easy to attack first against lizardmen. The only use for the standard of hag graef would be against cold ones or kroxigors. Black guard will be perfect to use against saurus, as will witch elves to bypass the high toughness. Never get into combat with skinks unless you know you will be safe when you overrun/pursue, as this is the main reason for skinks, to get you in a better position for the opponent. Dragons and harpies are great to use against lizardmen as they can get behind the enemy and slow them down even more

See also

***.................................Long Time Absent: 1500 DE Vs Lizzies, New Book
........................................Tips on how to beat 2nd Gen Slann
........................................morathi the frog killer(or telcis) using the darksword
Last edited by Calisson on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I think Calisson is referring to tactics from the old book but may not apply to the new book.

You can expect a Slann mage in a block of Temple Guard. They are stubborn with a 1+ save in close combat so are tough to deal with. The Slann will be the BSB as well so cold-blooded with a re-roll means they will never break. On top of that the Slann in the middle will likely have an ability to pick one of your mages and make him discard all 6's he rolls when casting (which is huge!) so even magicing him to death will be tough.

Don't be surprised to see a Stegadon or two. The new Engine of the Gods will put a 5+ Ward save versus shooting around everything within 12" or, when you finally get close enough to hit him, he'll start blasting every one of your units within 2D6" with D6 Str 5 (might be Str 4...) damage. The Stegadon is tough so you may need to bring a character specifically to kill it.

His core unit will be Saurus Warriors which are now have a better save and attack in two ranks. So if he's 5-wide, that's 21 attacks which will chew you up.

You'll need to rely on combined charges and out-maneuvering to bring him down. The Ring of Hotek is a MUST against a Slann.
Rugi
Noble
Location: probably still burried under snow after a failed backflip attempt

Post by Rugi »

I have not yet played against the new lizzies but harpies were always the (efficiency per point) against them. They are hit on 7+ when charging blowpipe armed skinks and therefor negate poison and kill them rather quick (3+ to hit, 3+ to wound).
Jarbo
Trainee Warrior

Post by Jarbo »

this is the list i put together for them, ideas?

Master
General; Heavy Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak; Eternal Hatred
Whip of Agony
Enchanted Shield
Null Talisman

Master (Battle Standard Bearer)
Great Weapon
Armor of Darkness
Null Talisman

Sorceress
Level 2
Dispel Scroll
Sacrificial Dagger

Sorceress
Level 2 Upgrade
Tome of Furion
Dispel Scroll

Assassin
Extra Hand Weapon
1 Hand of Khaine
1 Manbane
1 Rune of Khaine

24 Dark Elf Warriors
Full command, shield

24 Dark Elf Warriors
Full command, shield; warbanner

5 Dark Riders
Musician Repeater Crossbow

5 Harpies

5 Harpies

5 Harpies

17 Black Guard
full command
Banner of Hag Graef

6 Shades
Extra Hand Weapon;

5 Cold One Knights
full command
Banner of Murder

War Hydra

Total Roster Cost: 2249
W-L-D 2-0-0
Rugi
Noble
Location: probably still burried under snow after a failed backflip attempt

Post by Rugi »

I would rather switch the positions of the two magic banners but that is just my personal oppinion.
Jarbo
Trainee Warrior

Post by Jarbo »

thanks for all the tips everyone, he ended up using the older book, but to make a long story short, a major victory in the dark elves favor :D

ill try and get around to posting a little something in the battle report section.
W-L-D 2-0-0
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Congratulations! :D

Bye
Thanee