Which do you prefer?

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Geoguswrek
Highborn

Which do you prefer?

Post by Geoguswrek »

i may be starting dark elves over the summer, and i intend to do something slightly different from most of the lists i've seen. I have come up with two different lists, and im not sure which i prefer (except for in terms of modelling opportunities).
So without further ado.

LIST ONE: FFS (Four flying sorceress)

LORD

Supreme Sorceress, Level 4 on Dark Peg, focus familiar, lifetaker, 2 Null talisman

HEROES

Sorceress, Level 2 on Dark Peg, Darkstar Cloak, Null talisman
Sorceress, Level 2 on Dark Peg, Tome of Furion, Null talisman
Sorceress, Level 2 on Dark Peg, 2 Dispell scrolls

CORE
2x5 Dark Riders, RXB
5 Dark Riders, RXB, Muso
2x5 Harpies

SPECIAL
2x5 Shades
Assasin, Manbane, Rending Stars, ADHW
Assasin, Manbane, Rending Stars, Cloak of shadows, ADHW

1994 points

I think this is the nastier of the two lists, but it could do with a good way of ending a High elf dragon (any other i can metal into the ground but high evles are annoyingly fireproof) any ideas on this front - i suppose rending stars will do a bit of damage. it may also have some trouble with heavy shooting lists.

LIST TWO - THREE FLYING WIZARDS, ONE FLYING LORD (less catchy)

LORD
Dread Lord on Foot, Pendant of Khaeleth, Armour of Eternal Servitude, Potion of Strength, Shield, SDC

HEROES

Sorceress, Level 2 on Dark Peg, Darkstar Cloak, Null talisman
Sorceress, Level 2 on Dark Peg, Tome of Furion, Null talisman
Sorceress, Level 2 on Dark Peg, 2 Dispell scrolls

CORE
2x5 DR, RXB
5 Harpies
10 Crossbow elves, shields, muso

SPECIAL
2x 5 Shades, Great weapons
Assasin, manbane, rending stars, ADHW
Assasin, manbane, rending stars, cloak of shadows, ADHW

RARE
Hydra

1997 points

I gain a solid(pretty much unkillable barring breaking) lord, who i can fly into things in turn one, shutting up warmachines and the like, as well as my two assasin (i really like this aspect). i lose a little magic defence, and i lose my level 4, who was pretty nice, since the focus familiar is amazing.
I'm really not sure which list is better any preferences? oh yeh i also gain a hydra, who's breath weapon is worth it even without a combat phase, and in combat its great as well. plus the model is great. (i prefer this army's modelling/painting oppurtunities)
Also, any advice/changes since i have yet to play with the new dark elves and hardly even played with the old.
Sirius dragonbrood
Corsair

Post by Sirius dragonbrood »

To keep that theme, I think the rending stars/manbane combo is your best bet against the Dragon, with wound on 3, -4 to armour, best chance of hitting the dragon, if you can keep both assassins alive for a 2nd turn of shooting, you can take it down. otherwise, hit the dragon with a doombolt or two and then the rending stars.

maybe in the 2nd list, take a 3rd assassin in the rxbs, replacing the Hydra, 'coz HE will just pincushion it anyway. If all 3 assassins are in rang in one turn, you can be almost guarunteed removing 4 wounds from the dragon. Hit the massive thing with the shades and rxbs all in the same turn and the odds get better.

The lord should work well, I'm assuming that you chuck him at the combat with steed of shadows. I run a similar build with my Tomb King, and he tends to make a mess of even ranked units, provided he gets his incantations off.

with that many sorc in the 2nd build, you should have enough strength in PD to annoy most foes.

the solo nature of the rxbs is a worry, while the rest of the army disappears to the other side of the field, they turn into easy victory points for your opponents.

The first list is scary, it just can't beat the dragon you're worried about. otherwise, go nuts.
Vote 1 Druchii!
Why vote for the lesser evil?
Geoguswrek
Highborn

Post by Geoguswrek »

THe RxB's in the second list are partly to break the monotony of painting DR and partly so i have a unit to hide the Lord in if necessary.
Against HE or other shooters, i planned to hide the hydra at first then use it as a mobile flame cannon. (plus i have enough stuff to kill a few shooters quickly, i'll probably take a shadow caster with steed of shadows and then have 2 castings so i should get rid of shooty stuff reasonably quick)
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

George how is that Lord flying?
Jrg
Executioner

Post by Jrg »

what i believe he meant was by using the steed of shadow on the lord it would gain flying - and so become a flying lord ;)
Somwhere out there is Inquisitor Horatio Caine investigating cults of slaanesh
Caine looks around seeing bits of cultists on the ground
Inq Caine: Well it looks like these cultists
*puts on glasses*
Inq Caine: Have gone to pieces
Geoguswrek
Highborn

Post by Geoguswrek »

Exactly.
I was planning to take shadow on one of the level 2's (the one with scrolls to be precise) and i reckon most of the time i'll get one or two off because the opponent is more worried about all the damage spells i can chuck out.