1000.p of Pirates. My Starting Army

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Aralion
Trainee Warrior

1000.p of Pirates. My Starting Army

Post by Aralion »

Hello all

Since I'm now in love with the new Corsairs models I have decided that my futhure army will be a corsair raiding party. This means most of my models will be converted with corsair bits.

So this will be the core of my futhure army and I will just add some to it to make it a 2250.p army.

Current list in use, V 1.1

V 1.0

Master: Armour of Darkness, Halberd 109.p

5x Dark Riders: Repeater Crossbows, 110.p

5x Dark Riders: Repeater Crossbows, 110.p

13x Corsairs: Champion, Standard, Sea Serpent Banner 175.p

14x Corsairs: Champion, Standard, Banner of Murder 185.p

10x Crossbowmen 100.p

10x Crossbowmen 100.p

5x Harpies 55.p

5x Harpies 55.p

999.p

I will deploy the Corsairs in the centre while the Master will join the Frenzied Corsairs, it might be a big risk for him to join them but I'm not shure.
They will be flanked by crossbowmen and on the far flanks, the Cavalry and Harpies will be deployed.

The Ideá with this army is to march the Corsairs up the centre while the combination of Harpies and Crossbowmen weakens the enemy, targetting Heavy Cavalry or Heavily armoured troops first since they will be my biggest threats. Then my corsairs will cut down enemy light or weakend troops. Pretty simple but will it work?
Last edited by Aralion on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

At 1000pts you can ignore the magic threat, I second you not taking any defense.

Master will benefit from +1 attack thanks to the SSS. Nice.

Each ccorsair unit is good against low armoured troops. Good choice of banners. The musician is missing.

As you realized already, armoured troops will be your biggest difficulty. You could well switch one unit of DR for a unit of GW shades, if you have the models.

DR need a musician. 2 DR and 2 harpies are a lot. You may take less of these in case you needed pts somewhere else.

MXB could benefit from shields and musician: in a small game, you'll apreciate to make this unit more versatile.

Fear-causing foes may be an issue, but not that much with our high leadership. If you face them, put the Master in the non-frenzied unit of corsairs: they will get his higher Ld, while the frenzied are ITP.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Nazgual
Dark Rider

Post by Nazgual »

Your shooting is not that good against heavy stuff, and are much more useful shooting his support units.

It's great that you are sticking to a theme for your army so I will not sugest changing your units for others that is out of theme.

Your strengths is a lot of light fire power and great speed (DRs and harpies), but you lack defense against magic and hitting power.

In 1K the problem with magic should not be to hard, but later I would recommend to buy the ring of hotek.

For hitting power you could drop a unit of harpies and the RxB from the DRs to free up some points. The points should be spent beefing up a unit of corsairs and your master. Alternatively you could drop a unit of RXB men for a chariot mounted by your master (give him armor of darkness and crimson death).

If you want a lot of shooting the I would recommend dropping a unit of RXBs for a RBT. The str 6 bolts will be useful taking out knights.

Your master could be given a dark steed for movement and the ability to join the dark riders if needed. You can give him full mundane, lance, enchanted shield and a lance for a hard to kill fast moving str 6 on the charge character. Alternatively give him the sword of might.

Good luck with a great themed army.
Aralion
Trainee Warrior

Post by Aralion »

So, after some thought I have now changed my list up a abit. This is what I come up with.

V 1.1

Master: Armour of Darkness, Halberd 109.p

5x Dark Riders: Repeater Crossbows, Musician 117.p

5x Dark Riders: Repeater Crossbows, Musician 117.p

13x Corsairs: Full Command, Sea Serpent Banner 180.p

14x Corsairs: Full Command, Banner of Murder 190.p

10x Crossbowmen: Shields 110.p

Hydra 175.p

998.p

The harpies and a unit of crossbowmen are now gone in favour for a Hydra. I think that the Hydra will do wonders in this list both as a tank and killing enemy hard units. A plus is that it will probably look stunning in combination with the rest of my army on the tabletop.
The dilemma is that I have 112.p to spend on eather 2 units of harpies or a unit of Crossbowmen. I settled for the Crossbowmen since I have great speed from the Dark Riders and I think it could be nice to have atleast some covering fire, but since my last game of Warhammer was back in the early days of 6'th edition, I'm not so shure what to take.
Aralion
Trainee Warrior

Post by Aralion »

Not to be impatient for replyes but I really need to know if my latest list is viable nice I will order alot of minis tomorow and I need to know what to take ;)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

As it is supposed to be an army starter, I believe you can go ahead and order all of this.

Then you'll have to learn how to play this army.

Against magic (never that heavy in small games), your DR must charge the magician. They are vulnerable to it.

Against heavy shooting, the corsairs can be lined up and the DR sheltered behind (and behind the hydra as well) till they get a good opportunity.

DR are expensive and fragile, but they are very, very versatile and can save you a game.

You don't have anymore harpies which are the cheapest of all screens, but you don't care: only DR would apreciate screens!

The difficulty is still against heavy armoured troops (like heavy cavalry). You'll have to learn how to get a flank charge on them. Not very easy.

Against fear-causing troops, you have the excellent SSS and the hydra. Very nice.

Overall your list seems very playable to me, and exceptionally fluffy as well!

Keep going, mate!
If ever you want some advice for getting a bigger army, first play a few games with your new army then ask.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Aralion
Trainee Warrior

Post by Aralion »

Calisson wrote:As it is supposed to be an army starter, I believe you can go ahead and order all of this.

Then you'll have to learn how to play this army.

Against magic (never that heavy in small games), your DR must charge the magician. They are vulnerable to it.

Against heavy shooting, the corsairs can be lined up and the DR sheltered behind (and behind the hydra as well) till they get a good opportunity.

DR are expensive and fragile, but they are very, very versatile and can save you a game.

You don't have anymore harpies which are the cheapest of all screens, but you don't care: only DR would apreciate screens!

The difficulty is still against heavy armoured troops (like heavy cavalry). You'll have to learn how to get a flank charge on them. Not very easy.

Against fear-causing troops, you have the excellent SSS and the hydra. Very nice.

Overall your list seems very playable to me, and exceptionally fluffy as well!

Keep going, mate!
If ever you want some advice for getting a bigger army, first play a few games with your new army then ask.

Thanks mate, I really appreciate that