2000pts vs Marauder Mitch 2 (Rares needed to be Competive?)

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

22over7
Dark Rider

2000pts vs Marauder Mitch 2 (Rares needed to be Competive?)

Post by 22over7 »

My first posted list. I have a game against Marauder Mitch 2 on Monday and he'll be using either Lizards or Dark Elves both competitive builds.

I really want to build a list which is effective in all three phases, is competitive and fun to play with/against. A big ask I know! :oops:

General
Master + Dark Steed + Heavy Armour + SDC + Crimson Death + Ring of Hotek = 150

Death Hag + Cauldron of Blood + BSB = 225

Supreme Sorceress + Lvl 4 + Dark Pegasus + Black Staff + Pendant of Khaleth = 400
Sorceress + Lvl2 + Dark Steed + Focus Familiar + Dispel Scroll = 197

Assassin + Additional Hand Weapon + Rune of Khaine + Cloak of Twighlight = 141

Core
3 x 5 Dark Riders + Repeater Crossbows + Musicians = 351
6 Harpies = 66

Special
3 x 5 Black Guard = 195

Total 1725

This leaves 275 pts to spend on:
A hydra and a RBT
or
A hydra, 5 shades + GWs and a Repeater Crossbow for my General
or
5 more BG, two RBTs and a Repeater Crossbow for my General
or
Upgrage my Black Guard to 7 each plus Tower Masters with Null Shards, 5 shades + GWs and Rending Stars for my Assassin

The last one is my favourite but do you need rares to be competitive?
When a young Malekith failed to complete his maths homework, Morathi was overheard saying to his friends "He's not the future Pheonix King, he's a very naughty boy".

DE 7ed W6/D3/L6
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Re: 2000pts vs Marauder Mitch 2 (Rares needed to be Competiv

Post by Dark Alliance »

22over7 wrote:Special
3 x 5 Black Guard = 195

The list was doing ok until I saw this BG entry. What is your reasoning for this?

22over7
Dark Rider

Post by 22over7 »

:) This is maybe where the fun element takes over.

I need elite units to benefit from the cauldron buffs. I am not experienced enough to effectively use witches, and protecting their frenzy with FC and witch brew makes them pricey. CoKs have let me down before at key moments. So it came down to BG, Executioners and shades. (Shades are a little too expensive too, but not entirely ruled out.)

Because I want to maximise the benefit of stubborn rerolls (either BG or Execs) I am not worrying about SCR, I don't mind losing combat. This is potentially where the Execs fall over, to fear causers. I want my BG to be there to take a charge, hold and then allow other units to pile in. Part of my reason for preferring the TM upgrade is to allow him to challenge away big powerful characters, protecting the RnF.

The tarpit approach and high initiative also benefits from the Warrior Elite, as I actively want combat to last longer than one turn.

It's also great to finish the last few turns with some CC!
When a young Malekith failed to complete his maths homework, Morathi was overheard saying to his friends "He's not the future Pheonix King, he's a very naughty boy".

DE 7ed W6/D3/L6
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Hydra and 3x7 BG naked

They get buffs from the CoB so don't need a master, and are cheap enough that 1 dieing is no issue.

Swap one of your DE for a unit od RXB with shields, to give you a screen for the CoB/BG
"Luck is the residue of design"