The Witch Elves (2000p army)

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Vales
Slave on the Altar

The Witch Elves (2000p army)

Post by Vales »

Hi there, I just registered at the forums and I am also new to WHFB.

I 've read the BRB, all army books, had a few intro games and I have been practising with some friends using 2 Skull Pass boxes and some proxies for some time now.

Anyhow I decided it's time to start fielding a proper army and one of my favorites (background wise) is Dark Elves. I was especially drawn to Malus (read some of the books and ordered the rest) and from the descriptions I also like Hellebron and Witch Elves ;)

So without further delay here is a list I came up with and I need your help and advice as you guys are more experienced both at WHFB and DEs.

UPDATED list a few posts below...

Deadly Beauty (2000p DE army)

Crone Hellebron, The Hag Queen
Cauldron of Blood
2 Hags

Malus Darkblade

10 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen
Shields; Musician

6 Witch Elves
Musician

6 Witch Elves
Musician

6 Witch Elves
Musician

6 Witch Elves
Musician

6 Harpies

6 Harpies

6 Harpies

5 Harpies

5 Cold One Knights
Musician

5 Cold One Knights
Musician

War Hydra

War Hydra

---------------------------------
Casting Pool: 2

Dispel Pool: 2

Total Army Cost: 1999

I would really appreciate any feedback, suggestions, any kind of help is welcome and desperately needed. Thank you in advance. :!:
Last edited by Vales on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Hellebron doesn't have Cauldron as an option for upgrade.

You need to get a Death Hag with a cauldron and then Hellebron is allowed the join it.

So your army is 90 points short for the naked Death Hag
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Sadly I would drop malus as he is not worth his points without a ward save, that will give you points for a second unit of RXB the same as the one you have and your missing death hag.

The CoKs are fine the way they are.

Increase your witches to 7 and give a couple hags with manbane. Drop all of your harpies to 5 if you need points.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Vales
Slave on the Altar

Post by Vales »

The entry for Hellebron said "She may accompany a Cauldron of Blood" and I thought she could take the place of the Death Hag (Army Builder had that as an option so I messed up I guess :oops: ) .

Can she be part of the Cauldron? I mean like Cauldron + Hellebron + Death Hag + 2x Hags ????
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

I can tell that you are new. First, where is your magic? Even if you do not want any offensive magic in the list you need some sort of a magic defence. And no, the basic PD/DD does not count. You would be overpowered by a daemons, vampire or other magic heavy army in a few turns.

Second, as mentioned by Dalamar, you can not take the Cauldron of blood on the Hag Queen. She has a manticore as a mount, and if you are going to be using her I suggest you take it. Cauldrons need a Death Hag to be used, which you do not have the points left over for.

Small units of 6 witch elves are going to be picked off pretty easily by the enemies, even with the harpy screens. The army lacks any big block infantry to hold numbers with, and as your witches do not have Hags with the Witch brew, this is an issue. You can be outnumbered by most small sized opponent units and witch elves have no armour. Plus you can't give them a ward through the Cauldron as it is illegal the way you fielded it.

2 units of 5 Cold One knights is alright, I guess Malus will be joining one of these. I would put banners and champions in the unit if I was you, and maybe a magical banner. The hydras are alright but you might want to consider only taking one so that you have points to spare on the rest of the army so you can sort it out.

I've tried to give you a little help by making a legal list similar to your one but with other points taken into account that me and Dalamar mentioned... However, I personally do not recommend fielding Hellebron in such an army of this size as she uses up too many points. I've had to put her on foot just to fit everything else I recommend in.

350 - Crone Hellebron
275 - Malus Darkblade
200 - Death Hag on Cauldron of Blood

110 - 10 Repeater Crossbowmen - shields
55 - 5 Harpies
55 - 5 Harpies
200 - 15 Witch Elves - Hag, Musician, Banner, Witchbrew

200 - 5 Cold One Knights - Dread Knight, Musician, Banner, Ring of Hotek

175 - War Hydra
175 - War Hydra

_____

This list is just using your own ideas and trying to make them work. Personally I do not like to see Malus + Crone in a 2k list. Personally I would drop Malus and take a unit of Executioners or something, maybe drop the COK too and make it a Khainite list.

Something like,

350 - Crone Hellebron
200 - Death Hag on Cauldron of Blood

110 - 10 Repeater Crossbowmen - shields
55 - 5 Harpies
55 - 5 Harpies

280 - 20 Executioners - Draich Master, Musician, Banner

175 - War Hydra
175 - War Hydra

_____
Vales
Slave on the Altar

Post by Vales »

Thanks for the replies, really appreciated.

@Kinslayer: Yes I know my magic phase is non existent (dispels too), and I am sure there are armies out there that can punish that, but I'll try to see if can work without magic for the time being.
About units dying on the way to the enemy lines, yes that is true (I expect 1-2 units of WEs and almost all my harpies to die on the way there), but on the other hand I think I present the opponent with a lot of threats, and I don't think he can shoot everything to death. Any ideas on this subject would be really appreciated.

Before changing the list radically I will post a new version which is as follows:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Crone Hellebron, The Hag Queen

Cauldron of Blood
Death Hag
2 Hags

10 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen
Shields; Musician

6 Witch Elves
Hag (Manbane or Witchbrew), Musician

6 Witch Elves
Hag (Manbane, or Witchbrew), Musician

6 Witch Elves
Hag, Musician

6 Witch Elves
Hag, Musician

6 Witch Elves
Hag, Musician

5 Harpies

5 Harpies

5 Harpies

5 Harpies

5 Cold One Knights
Musician

5 Cold One Knights
Musician

1 War Hydra

1 War Hydra

-------------------------------------
Casting Pool: 2

Dispel Pool: 2

Total Army Cost: 1996
:)
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

No offence but I still feel the second list I gave you is better than this one, and it is not too much of a drastic change. It is still a Witch Elf army led by Crone. In fact, Executioners are more in theme than Cold One Knights in such a list.

Your small Witch Elf units will not last long, in my opinion.
Vales
Slave on the Altar

Post by Vales »

Ok I am convinced it´s not the best of lists after some test games. So anyone can come up with a modified list especially against shooty magic/heavy lists?

I don't need it to be tournament winning but having a chance against these enemies would be nice.

Any ideas are really welcome, thank you guys.
Mirz do ordas 2
Warrior

Post by Mirz do ordas 2 »

really, e veryone that disses 6 strong WE units has never tried them,

go for loads of 6 strong WE units without any command whatsoever abd move them in 2 waves over the battlefield and drop all shooting (ni sight for them anyway, WE in the way).

I am using a crone list since newyaer and have currently a 12 wins 1 loss record (incl vs 3 different DoC lists, magic heavy, AS hvy, combat heavy).

just remember that khaine does not really care that part of the blood in the cauldron is from his own believers.

the biggest mistake ye can make in those is adding upgrades and making ranked WE units.

my Grand fanatic list in Brugge (Belgium) was
crone
2x DH with CoB
1 master BSB GW MR3
9 x 6 WE
3 x 5 harpies
15 BG ASF banner, RoH
2x Warhydra

result 2x massacre vs O&G
Solid vs mixed khorne theenz list (inc BT and 3 T heralds and horrors and flamers
cryshing loss against vs VC due to kill point Scenario (points would be a draw)
minor vs mixed demons (all but slanesh)
massacre vs Slanesh demons incl kipper and masque

anyway, ended 4th due to the nasty 4th scenario, for kill points is nasty when ye count on saccing a unit to kill a unit,

using small WE units is a totally different way of playing compared to conventional DE playstyle, and a mix and match is not a real option if ye ask me.
fleeing from battle
Brokenstone
Cold One Knight

Post by Brokenstone »

Ummm, why the musicians on all the WE squads? Whilst the tieing in a drawn combat is better than losing your frenzy, how often do you tie combats? And since you are frenzied you can't flee and rally with musicians until after the frenzy is broken!? so it kind of seems strange to have all those musicians in there, but please tell me otherwise.