How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Sorceress on a Cold One - possible use?

Post by Dalamar »

Another from the "possible use" series!
Something nobody ever sees but GW insists to make a model out of it.

Well... here's my idea. It doesn't work 100% because it relies of the spells rolled but just take a look and tell me what you think.

Close Combat Sorceress!

Druchii are underhanded and tricky so lets surprise your opponent with a sorceress that actually runs headlong into combat accompanying Cold one Knights.

Sorceress
Level 2
Tome of Furion
Pendant of Khaeleth
Cold One
Lore of Fire (essential)

Sorceress goes about her regular business for the most of the time (while knights are approaching their target) and turn before charge (or turn of the charge!) Flaming Sword of Rhuin blazes in her hands!

Sure, it's just 2 S6 attacks that hit on 2+, and you have the Pendant to challenge opposing baddies and lock them in combat while still having a good chance of wounding them.

Why not Dark Steed you ask?
Well, her job is to stick around with the knights and help them in melee. Dark Steed would be ok if we're short of points but Cold One gives her an extra point of armour (you never know when it might be useful) and has no negative sides (Knights are already stupid themselves).

Whatcha think?
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Jlong
Slave on the Altar

Post by Jlong »

Quite a good idea. Maybe they should release this and a Dark Steed version.
Camaris
Black Guard

Post by Camaris »

Though I admit using this tactic would be highly amusing, I think you already hit on the downside: your not always going to get the flaming sword of rhuin. With my luck, I'd never get it. ;)

Of course, it's probably her best use for those who have painted a really cool looking sorc on Cold One, and now want to use it for something other then paper weight.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

That's why she has Tome of Furion.

With 3 spells she has pretty much 50% chance of getting it.

Thinking of it... the model does have a book... foresight?
7th edition army book:

Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

Nice idea mate, good if the pendant is not needed elsewhere.
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

my last army didn't have pendant at all... it's kinda overrated :P
7th edition army book:

Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Well, if she were on a dark steed she could still cast if her CoK unit went stupid, and while the sword is nice she could also make use of death or dark with their cast into combat spells.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Riker666
Executioner

Post by Riker666 »

I can't see how a 200 points stupid level two mage, useful only 50% of the times could be even a reasonable choice. But still, thanks for the effort in trying to make sense from gw.
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

Too many variables. She needs to roll the spell, she needs to be able to cast it without it getting dispelled, and she needs not go stupid. Nice idea, but a better use is probably get some wings on it and use it as a disturbing kind of dark pegasus. :P Horrible use, I know, but that's the only thing I could think of.
Entreri bloodletter
Assassin

Post by Entreri bloodletter »

Good idea for the effort but probably not practical for use. But like you said if you do happen to have a nice looking model for it go for it and try it out.
Thomus darkblade
Shade

Post by Thomus darkblade »

Sadly, this combo would still be better with a dark steed most of the time. I can see this working against Vampires or demons though- She generates a dispel die- can fight relatively well. Flaming sword is RiP, so she'll still have it even if the CO goes stupid.

If I had that model I would try that combo out.

That said- I will never buy that model.

:shrug:
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

The model came with spearhead and I didn't bother converting it :P so I do have it. I just need to paint my CoKs and I'll try it out. As well as my other master with Dagger of Hotek combo at some point.
7th edition army book:

Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Thanatoz wrote:Too many variables. She needs to roll the spell, she needs to be able to cast it without it getting dispelled, and she needs not go stupid. Nice idea, but a better use is probably get some wings on it and use it as a disturbing kind of dark pegasus. :P Horrible use, I know, but that's the only thing I could think of.

I gave her a lance, a big banner and a Sea Dragon Cloak, and now she's my Hydra Banner BSB. She's got enough armor on to look like a reasonable fighting Hero, and the torso and Cold One sculpt are excellent enough to justify the effort.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

No one
Noble

Post by No one »

I'm afraid Tethlis use for her is the only one: converting.
like thanatoz said, just too many chances.

~have fun,
no one
'with hatred all things are possible' -Malus of Hag Greaf-

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

If you are going to try it out you ought to look at other options for her as well. Things such as putting her into a unit of spears with the cold blooded banner, or giving her the web of shadows in a list with the COB. My undrestanding is that the KB from the COB would work with the web meaning she could be quite handy in a challenge (I might be wrong on that combo as don't have the book to hand so am going from memory).

In other words look at all the ways she can be used and see what works and what doesn't. The black dragon egg could be a bit of a surprise for example. Nice and handy if someone tries to redirect your COKs with a silly little unit.

I'm sure you can think of other interesting options too.
Geoguswrek
Highborn

Post by Geoguswrek »

Sorry Gary, i don't think so on the web/killing blow. The way web is written suggests the attacks are caused by the item, not the bearer (it says "one model in base contact takes 2d6 hits" not "the bearer makes 2d6 attacks") but it would depend on the wording of killing blow (i dont have a brb to hand)

As an aside: i've re-read the hydras teeth and BDE and decided that 1) the hydras teeth are actually rubbish (you can only allocate 2 attacks to a character each turn, i thought it was per tooth used! thats no fun at all) and so the BDE is better. and 2) the BDE is an amazing breath weapon (its the strength 4 that convinced me).
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

And I still prefer Hydra Teeth to Black Dragon's Egg.
It's not there to kill the characters. Sure it might be nice to kill a champ or a wizard.

But it's amazing at killing small units of fast cavalry... where flame template will struggle with getting more than 1 model fully covered.
7th edition army book:

Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

Another possible use I just thought of: as a scroll caddy or item carrier in a cold one death star led by Malus. Not something I'd use, but ah well.

@Tethlis: I might look at that, I'm looking into making one myself. Thanks for the inspiration, and by inspiration I mean I might shamelessly plagiarize your idea. Too bad it's the old cold one, so I might have to buy another box of knights for the new cold ones.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

OK, mates, here is one use which may be viable.

We've got a sorceress which seems to like melee but cannot last long in it, and which wants to cast spells but can go easily stupid. All of this seems unnatural. Let's see how it is no more a nuisance.

The idea would be to put the sorceress inside a unit designed for melee. Not necessarily to win it, but at least to be able to serve as an anvil, for other units to hammer the opponent.

A unit of 25 shielded warriors with the full command costs 190 pts and can perfectly win some melees! Add a warbanner, for a cost of 215pts, it will result in a SCR of 6!
Such a unit can effectively take the despised sorceress on a CO, with the clear intention to go in melee or at least to get close to the enemy.

The sorceress would make the whole unit ignore fear. That is why the CO is useful.

Such babysitting unit would allow the sorceress to take some short-range or even melee spells. The sorceress can have the PoK-surprise rather than the dagger, considering that she will not cast very often, even less because of stupidity. A good idea would be also to keep the sorceress cheap. Alternatively, the Tome will help her get the spells she wants.

The bad news is that a sorceress on CO, unfortunately, gets stupid 27,8% of the time if she is not within a dreadlord, DH or master’s range. The good news is that it does not remove spells remaining in play. The best news is that when the unit is charged, the CO turns back normal and, conveniently, the sorceress can cast again whatever can be cast in melee.

With these particular factors in mind, advised spells would include:
Lore of Death #2, #4, #5 & #6 (preferred Lore for a melee unit);
Lore of Shadow #3, #4, #5 and #1 if an assassin is there;
Dark Lore #3, #5 & #6.
Lore of Fire #2, #3 & #5 (unsure of this one);
Lore of Metal #1, #3; unsure of #5 and #6;
All other spells cannot be cast in melee.

Lore of Death and the tome seems to me interesting enough to try the CO sorceress in such unit. Spell #1 & 3 are a magic missiles which should be avoided. Other than those, all spells are useful for a sorceress who intends to get struck in a melee:
spell #2 is a character sniper adding wounds to the sorceress,
spell #4 remains in play when stupid and makes a terror-causing warrior unit,
spell #5 lowers the opponent's Ld even in melee, which can be helpful with a SCR6 unit, especially if you can side-charge the opposing unit with a small hammer
spell #6 is nice to cast well inside the enemy's lines, it touches ll enemy units.

EDIT: to be followed by this thread => Magic + COK = another death star?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

See what Syph Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:40 am
in Druchii of the Citadel of the Ice Serpent for a clever conversion of the sorceress on CO (used as a sorceress on a DP).
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Calisson wrote:See what Syph Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:40 am
in Druchii of the Citadel of the Ice Serpent for a clever conversion of the sorceress on CO (used as a sorceress on a DP).

I quite like it, but went with a standard plastic CO for my DP conversion.

All of my CO are now officially dark steeds in my army
"Luck is the residue of design"
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Dalamar wrote:But it's amazing at killing small units of fast cavalry... where flame template will struggle with getting more than 1 model fully covered.

Damn straight. Do you throw all the teeth at the same time to make sure or save some for another possible target?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Depends on the target. If it's a small, fast unit then I try to make sure they all die in one salvo, 2/3 teeth should be enough to kill them all.

If the unit contains a wizard and isn't an immediate threat then I have the luxury to throw one tooth and put max attacks on the wizard.

Or on Ring of Hotek bearer if he's a unit champ ;)
7th edition army book:

Tyury
Trainee Warrior

Post by Tyury »

Why not put her on a steed and inside a DR unit? Almost same tactic without Stupid.

Out manouver the enemy, lock them in combat with an other unit. And make a flank or rear charge with the DR. (while under effect of the spell)

chears
you can lose with a good tactic but you'll never win with a bad one.

My Brute will beat yours!
Minsc
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Minsc »

I've ordered one, and I'm gonna convert her to my female, CO mounted BSB.