Temple of Khaine

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

Ok one more game and a lot more experience.
I get a draw with 209 pts for me.
Also we were only able to play unti round 4 because of the time.

David played a black orc Wagh Boss on Wyvern, 1 orc shaman and two goblin shaman. 2 big units of nigh goblins, a lot of snotlings, spiderriders, wolfriders, squighoppaz, 2 unit of wild orcs and a giant, also he had 4 fanatics, 2 bolterthrower, one stone thrower, a kamikaze catapult and a chariot.

I deployed similar how we discussed but had to split twice because of an obstacle and a wood, so Witches, Black Guard and Executioners build the center. Spears on the flanks beside the obstacles, the hydra on the right flank because he deployed more troops here.

Round 1

I started the game. I gave the 5+ wardsave to hydra and black guard. Then I used the cristal and the orc shaman forget his level 3 spell. I tried to pull his fanatics. I pulled one and my hapies stand behind a hill. All other units I pushed straight forward. He also moved forward, covered his frenzied troops and pushed the giant forward into direction of the hydra and the waagh Boss beside the giant on the hill. Some magic from him which cost me three corsairs.

Round 2
Now I made a lot of mistakes. I gave the 5+ ward save to the hydra and to the bigger spears (can´t remember correctly). The harpies flee because of terror in front of my spears beside the hydra and blocked them. I opend the center. The master changed into the black guard and freed the frenzied corsairs. I forget to protect the flank of the smaller, blocked spears and I left a gap on one side between corsairs and the executioners behind.
David decleard three charges, his chariot to the normal corsairs, the waagh boss on the executioners thanks to the hill position and my gap and the giant to the unprotected flank of the smaller spears. I flee with all three units which was best in this situation. Chariot and giant moved half and the Waagh boss changed the target and attacked the General Death Hag with her Cauldron which cost me one priestess cause of a challenge. With kamikaze catapult and stone thrower he had malfunction and they wont fire this end the next turn. Some evil magic killed half of my black guard and some other troopers and I think some points by the hydra. The magic resistence worked badly with double 1 so I can´t save the loss of 6 Black Guard.

round 3
I tried to do best to correct my errors from the round before. 5+ Warsave on black guard and +1 Attack to the frenzied corsairs. alle fleed units get back into play. Some harpies attacked the kamikaze catapult with the orc shaman in it they killed most and followed them from the tabletop. Now the way was free for the frenzied corsairs who attacked with 4 attacks each the giant in front. They made 3 wounds and the juming only killed two. I won. In the movement phase I rearranged the black guard to get sight on the waagh boss bound on the cauldron. The Assassine decovered but wasn´t in range to throw his stars on the chariot, The hydra positioned to get sight of the waagh boss and the giant so that it can help where needed. I lost one more priestess in the ongoing challenge with the waaghboss. David was able to wound the hydra three times with magic and shooting but his big blocks stand the second time because of animosity. He tried to kill more troopers from the black guard but was less sucessful. The shooting kill some miniatures here and there but nothing important. Some snotling join the fight between corsairs and giant which lost one more wound. I lost some corsairs and due to the banner of naggarythe I get a draw, so this fight is going on. The Death Hag survieved the attacks from the waagh boss with a great potion of luck, I saved 4 wound with the 4+ ward save.

Round4 and last round
5+ ward save to hydra and black guard. I attacked with both units the waagh boss. Meanwhile the wyvern has 3 wounds. Also I attacked a bolter thrower with my harpies but wasn´t able to win, so I get a draw and both stand. The witches and bigger spears attacked some snotlings to use them to overrun in two other units which didn´t happen because of to much distance. The frenzied corsairs killed the giant and were still bound by the snotlings. The Waaghboss killed the Cauldron hag in the ongoing challenge and my round ended.
David charged the bigger spwars with squig hoppaz but lost the fight because of Combat resultion. Also he charged the normal corsairs with spiders and killed them. His wild orcs charged my Witch elfs but wasn´t able to do much wounds. He killed 4 my 3 left killed 6 orcs and I won and overrun. He managed to do a lot of shooting and again he killed here and there some troopers with magic and shooting. also he was able to shoot on priestess and one wound of the BSB hag and get half points for them. The fight on the bolterthrower ended again in a draw and everyone looked on the last big fight with the waagh boss. I challenged him to reduce the risc that will kill the hydra with one lifepoint left ot the the black guard with 4 miniatures left and two masters. My master with soulrender challenged and attacked and caused 2 wounds on the wivern. He killed the master but wasn´t able to get overkill so he lost by a lot of points and fleed.

In the end I won by 200 points more which was a draw.
I made a lot of mistakes in round two, but was able to save the bad situation by good decisions in the following turns. I had also a lot of luck with my dices and david sometimes a lot of bad luck. Most I worried about being bound on my table half about the whole game but I didn´t know what to do better after having made these both mistakes in round two.

Ok time for bed now.
Kind Regards GeOrc
Brokenstone
Cold One Knight

Post by Brokenstone »

I am unsure of the use of the ward saves from the cauldron as being the best option, but i can't be sure if you have other units in combat when those choices come up, and i am having trouble working out how much shooting and magic is getting targeted at your units out of combat. But I am sure there was method to your madness!
Geoguswrek
Highborn

Post by Geoguswrek »

Sounds like you made a few mistakes that you won't make again. But this comes from not knowing your list overly well and so i wouldn't worry too much.
Sounds to me you would ahve been better if you hadn't passed all the ward saves with your general and had died a round sooner, then you could have attacked with 2 charging units on his general and gotten more wounds.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Did you not think about giving KB to your General from her COB? You would be striking first with KB on his general with lots of attacks...

Still, think of it this way. Our list has not lost yet so we are definitely achieving our goal! Well done on rethinking your strategy once you realised you had made the mistakes, that is a good sign that you are getting used to the list. You turned a potential loss into a draw. Good for you.
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

@ geoguswrek,
I thought about that as well and in both cases the boss would be dead. If the genral died earlier I would be able to charge with Exces in his front too, only possibility to get away would be fleeing. The cauldron was an effective blocker in this situation and I reacted at once to bring my troops into position because I knowed in three phases the cauldron would be dead.

phase 1 the enemy: Charge on the cauldron -> one pristess dead
phase 2 me: Rearrangement of the troops to charge -> one priestess dead
phase 3 the enemie: ongoing challenge -> death hag dead
pahse 4 me: Charge with the helping troops

I don´t know if he was able to challenge one of my master in the black guard. If so and if I couldn´t avoid that all the charges wouldn´t be necesarry and the result would be the same than it was played with the surviving hag one round more. Charging with all three units would only be good if he wouldn´t be able to challenge. also He would concentrate on killing the hydra with one lifepoint left, so there wouldn´t be an autobreak by terrorcauser. I think the result would be the sme one was or an other, it was his mistake to charge on the cauldron.

@ DA,
Can I attack the, on a monster mounted, rider with KB directly? If so I had to do this in turn two of the CC because when he charges he strikes first and whatever he attacks will die with 8 attacks (sword which adds +1 attack for every character in range). afte loosing close combat in turn 1 of the CC I have no frenzy, So only 4 Attacks left and every poison attack reduces the chance for a KB. sure it would be a chance but I didn´t thought about that this would be possible. Also what when he Hag died, is the cauldron still there with one pristess left? or died the cauldron togehter with the hag?

Did I forget something?

Regards GeOrc
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

When he charges in with the Wyvern you challenge with one of the Priestesses as you correctly did. Then in your turn you give KB to your unit, still challenge with a Priestess and not your general (keep her alive as long as possible).

You can attack the rider of course - how where you allocating your attacks when you hit him then?

In his next turn if his general arrives, you still have KB and this time you have the extra attack from your general, and again striking first.

The COB dies when all hags are dead, or when they break from combat and are not caught by a pursuit roll.
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

@ DA,
ok my fault. My idea was to allocate all attacks against the wyvern. The idea was that with poison attacks I had perhaps chances to kill him and that the general hat to flee because of terror from the cauldron and unit strenght three. Then he could be charged by the units or when he flee to much in the hydra would be automatically dead.

Regards GeOrc
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

That is not a bad idea in itself at all. Pleased to see you had a planned thought process in mind. To be honest it is difficult to decide what would have been the best course of action to take, as we are reading the report of the game on a forum, whereas you were actually there and had a clear idea of the actual situation of the battle.

I spoke with Kel about this earlier and we both agree that the important things here are that you are acknowledging the errors you make, and you are able to think through solutions. I am really pleased with how quickly you are coming to terms with understanding how to use such a difficult army. I say again 'well done'!

Over the next few weeks I am going to write up some general thoughts and principles for each of the armies out there you will most likely face at the ETC, as well as some thoughts for in-game situations which should help to further expand your game.
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

Hi DA,
This week I won´t have the time to play a game, being two days away from job side.
I´m looking forward to your explanations and my next game next week.

Regards GeOrc
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

OK buddy, I'll start on this for you this week and will most likely email it to you rather than post here. Depends on the length of what I write really.

What will you face next week btw? I'm going up against new Lizards again this Thursday with the list. Magic heavy, Stegadon with the engine, Salamanders etc
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

Good news,
I have some time on the weekend and next week, so I have two games, one against the new lizardmen and the second against O&G or Chaos.
I will report. Also I hope to get some more progress on my army.
Kind Regards GeOrc
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

I played with a slightly tweaked version of our list today, based on a mix of yours and my thoughts after our last analysis. This is what I used:

Death Hag (General) - COB
Death hag (BSB) - COB
Master - soulrender, crystal of midnight and deployed in the Black Guard
Master - MR2, sword of battle, deployed in the front unit of Corsairs (with Sea Serpent Standard)

20 Warriors - full command, shields, war banner
15 Warriors - standard, shields
10 Corsairs - Sea Serpent Standard (unit 1 on the diagram)
10 Corsairs
5 Harpies
5 harpies

Assassin - manbane, rending stars

10 Witch Elves - hag
11 Black Guard - std, tower master, banner of Hag Graef, Ring of Hotek
10 Executioners - std, Banner of Cold Blood

Hydra

I played against Dalamar's Dark Elves and he used this:

Dreadlord - black dragon, 2 rhbs, caledor's bane, MR 2, armour of eternal servitude. Deployed behind the Warriors.
Death Hag (BSB) - COB
Level 2 - 2 scrolls. Chose Dark Magic and rolled Bladewinds and Black Horror Deployed with the right hand unit of rxbs.

10 rxbs
10 rxbs
20 Warriors - full command, shields, war banner
5 Harpies
5 Harpies

5 COKs with standard of slaughter
5 Shades with gw
14 Black Guard - std, tower master, banner of Hag Graef, Ring of Hotek

Hydra

Here is a terrain/deployment map. My side is the bottom.

GeOrc you will notice from the deployment diagram that despite my line being split by the building, the deep deployment allowed me to be fairly true to the principles Kel outlined in his earlier diagram.

These are my pre-game thoughts and game plan (a bit of a ramble and in no particular order!);-

1. On paper his army is a lot harder than ours and so he has the advantage. My goal was to ensure a draw, and if chance presented itself try and sneak a cheeky minor win ;)

2. In order to achieve the draw I would need to ensure the following conditions were met
- stop the dragon from getting behind my lines for either rear charging or breath weapon damage
- protect my flanks from being charged (as well as the rear of course)
- reduce the opportunity for him to reduce my numbers from afar with magic and shooting
- march block the Hydra to reduce the number of active shooting/combat turns it has available to it
- ensure that his chargers have no option other than to charge me in the front, where my static combat resolution is at it's greatest

3. Deep deployment. I deployed everything no further forward than 6.5" which meant he could not get forward enough to either shoot me, or cause any terror tests in the first turn. I also kept moving backwards and slightly to the left flank as he did advance, so as to ensure as far as possible that his dragon could not land behind me without exposing itself to at least one charge.

4. First turn. The advantage of this kind of deployment meant that if I won first turn I would give it to him and it would not be very effective for him at all, and if he won first turn I knew he would take it (he always does!! ;) ) and it wouldn't be very effective. More importantly it gave me the last turn which might prove useful.

He won first turn and decided to take it which I was happy about. :lol:

5. Crystal of Midnight. It says in the description of the item that it can be activated "at the start of any DE player turn". So guess what I did when the game started :twisted: Oh yes indeed and he promptly lost Bladewinds which meant his magic was of no effect for turns 1 and 2. "Tactical Genius!" was the joyful shout...

6. COB blessings. Put lots of killing blow onto units to cause concern for the Lord about what he can charge.

Game highlights.
---------------------------

1. His turn one shooting phase killing a sum total of 2 Warriors turn 1.

2. My harpies march blocking his Hydra whilst forcing his left hand rxb unit to shoot them in turn 2, thus maintaining the integrity of my primary battleline.

3. The Assassin which started in the WEs, moving to the building on turn 1, where he sacrificed himself as he took 2 wounds off the dragon with the stars. His death distracted the dragon in turn 2, thus maintaining the integrity of the primary battleline.

4. Offering my WEs to draw his Hydra into combat with them, and then into my Hydra with his overun. My Exes then used the Cold Blooded Banner to ensure they could charge the Hydra and add to my static combat res. His Hydra never used it's breath attack all game and then died a couple of combat rounds later.

5. His Warriors fleeing from my Hydra into impassable terrain and therefore dying.

6. My Hydra and Handlers killing blow his Death Hag and her girlfriends.

Downsides.
--------------------

1. Forgot the Banner of Nagarythe when my Hydra and Executioners were fighting his Hydra. He should've broken turn 1.

2. He was able to get the dragon behind me in turn 4 as I had just left enough room for it to land, and my charge threat unit was unable to get in as I had been careless with the position of my BSB COB attendants.

3. Failing terror to charge the dragon in turn 2 with Corsairs blessed with killing blow. They ran off the board...

4. Losing my big block of spears to a charge from his knights because I forgot to give them 5+ward, choosing instead to put KB on my WEs.

So what was the result? A draw! :D Which I was very pleased with. He got 1254 vps and I got 1242vps. In turn 6 he had charged my General who had held on her stubborn roll when the first attendant died in a challenge. In my turn 6 I got 10 spears with banner into the rear of that combat but he managed to make his break test roll (just), otherwise it would have been a win for me. The death of his Lord would have given me an extra 680vps.

This was a really tough match up for our army and so I am really pleased with the result.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

It was a nice game and Gary did great job with blocking my options.

As for the dragon getting stuck in cauldron I've done it on purpose ;) I fully knew that what I'm getting into is 3 phases of challenges and Ld9 re-rollable breaks if I won. Could've scored some extra points by rear charging remnants of the black guard unit and maybe pulling off a small win.

Knights after killing spearmen promptly failed stupidity and stumbled into black guard charge range which definitely wasn't good. Banner of Cold Blood for these guys is a permament addition now.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Geoguswrek
Highborn

Post by Geoguswrek »

Gary: the crystal thing is a little naughty, but hey, you were playing a dragon.
Other than that, congrats on the draw, you've shwon the list can hold up against a dragon reasonably well. have you had a chance to try it against a nasty magic heavy list yet?
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

Hi DA,
very good game. congrats to the draw.
I learned much of your small battle summary, many thanks.
What I didn´t understand good enough was how you reduce the landing place for his dragon and how you positioned a unit to charge if he tries to land behind your lines:
did I understand right:

You moved backwards in turn 1?
Your closed the areas between the units so that no 50, or 50 x 100 mm Base fits between?
Unit unit looks to your table side to charge the dragon if he lands somewhere?

If so, you played defensively and forced him to charge you?
Which Units you moved forward?
If I understand right the black guard didn´t moved the during the game until the end after the COK failed their stupidity test and where in charge range?
Was the assassine killed by the dragon after decover and shooting on it?

After all, a very good and interessting game. You demonstrated again that the list can do what is expected, not to loose the game and get the draw.
I´m looking forward to my own games on the weekend. Also to do a lot of painting and sculpturing.
Kind Regards GeOrc
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

geoguswrek wrote:Gary: the crystal thing is a little naughty, but hey, you were playing a dragon.

Why is it naughty? Cheeky maybe ;) We both read the book and it does say at the start of any DEs turn (plural). We already have the COB which can affect both armies. Daemons have their banner...

Other than that, congrats on the draw, you've shwon the list can hold up against a dragon reasonably well. have you had a chance to try it against a nasty magic heavy list yet?

No. It won't face anymore than 9PD ever anyway, including any bound items, prayers etc as that is part of the ETC restrictions. Tbh, I thought Dalamar was bringing a Level 4 and a Level 2 yesterday anyway.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

GeOrc wrote:Hi DA,
very good game. congrats to the draw.
I learned much of your small battle summary, many thanks.
What I didn´t understand good enough was how you reduce the landing place for his dragon and how you positioned a unit to charge if he tries to land behind your lines:
did I understand right:

You moved backwards in turn 1?
Your closed the areas between the units so that no 50, or 50 x 100 mm Base fits between?
Unit unit looks to your table side to charge the dragon if he lands somewhere?

That is correct, and quite often I blessed the unit threatening the charge with killing blow, if I wasn't quite able to position myself exactly as I wanted.

If so, you played defensively and forced him to charge you?

That is correct, although my Hydra and BG did get a couple of charges in during the game, and my left hand spears ended by cheging the dragon in turn 6 to add static res.

Which Units you moved forward?

In turn 1 I moved the right hand Harpies in front of my 20 Warriors. The left hand Harpies moved forward and landed in front of his left hand rxbs, march blocking the Hydra and spear block. The frenzied Corsairs faced slightly to the right, and the Assassin jumped into the building. Nothing else moved forwards, it either went backwards or turned to protect the possible landing areas of the dragon behind my lines.

In turn 2 the WEs moved in front of his Hydra. My Hydra moved behind them ready to be charged.

In following turns, my Hydra was responsible for killing his Hydra (in conjunction with static res from the Executioners), his COB/BSB, his Warriors and helped to finish off a unit of rxbs.

My Exes died to his BG. His Knights died to my BG with both Masters in. There were other small losses on both sides of course.

If I understand right the black guard didn´t moved the during the game until the end after the COK failed their stupidity test and where in charge range?

Correct, apart from moving either backwards or turning to face threat.

Was the assassine killed by the dragon after decover and shooting on it?

Yes. He breathed on the building which does d6 hits and he rolled 3 wounds. It was a good trade off because the Assassin had wounded the dragon twice from 1 round of shooting, and with the advancing Hydra and the fact that I was forcing the game to be played in a very small area of the board, he needed to kill the Assassin or risk further damage himself.

A good trade off for me to lose a single Assassin from dragon breath in turn 2, rather than a higher number of troops in units which would then have reduced static combat res.

After all, a very good and interessting game. You demonstrated again that the list can do what is expected, not to loose the game and get the draw.
I´m looking forward to my own games on the weekend. Also to do a lot of painting and sculpturing.

Yes, a very good result for us. Good luck with your games.

Kind Regards GeOrc
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Some tips for our army when facing new Lizards...

Be sure you are familiar with each of their units, if necessary make sure you get your opponent to explain how each of them works and what their special rules are. There have been some subtle changes in units such as Saurus Warriors for example where they now have 2 attacks as standard on their profile, so any unit equipped with spears can be a real threat when you charge them. 21 attacks potentially! Salamanders have changed the way they fire for example, and Terradons can now fly through woods, plus they drop d3 s4 rocks each (once per game).

Typical magic items used:
- Rod of the Storm - bound spell contains "Uranon's Thunderbolt". One use only.
- Blood Statuette of Spite - bound spell causes a toughness test. If failed take a wound and take another test. It continues until a test is past or the model dies. One use only.
- Bane Head - wounds caused by the bearer are doubled. Quite often found on a Slann which means he can double wound a character or multi wound model from afar.
- Higher State of Consciousness. Slann gift which makes him immune to mundane attacks.

Obviously there are other combos but these in particular could bother our army.

Unit threats
- Engine of the Gods. In the shooting phase this can cast an area of effect damage which cannot be stopped. It has range of 2d6, is s4 no armour save and is the single biggest threat to our line. It will be on an Ancient Stegadon, taken as a mount by a Skink Priest. You will need to take it out asap!

I recommend you read it's rules before the game starts.

- Salamanders now fire a flame template and are adept at taking out units. Again, read their rules before the game starts.

- Terradons can fly through woods and once per game can drops rocks on a single unit. Each Terradon drops d3 s4 rocks.

A typical Lizard army might have the following:

Slann in a unit of Temple Guard. He will most likely be a BSB with the war banner and will be immune to mundane attacks. He makes the Temple Guard immune to psych and stubborn.

Level 2 on an Ancient Steg with the Engine of the Gods
Level 1 with a couple of scrolls

3 units of 12/15 Saurus Warriors with spears and varying degrees of command models
Varying numbers of Skink units
3/4 Terradons
Maybe a second Stegadon
1/2 units of Salamanders

It is a good list and a tough draw for us. Gonna face it again myself next week. I tend to run straight at it. I use the Harpies to screen the important units from shooting where possible. Corsairs are great to take on the Salamanders. 10 Wide and frenzied means they will not lose many in number as they advance towards the pack.

The Engine/Steg will be more of a problem. I have found so far that BG are great at this due to their stubborn immunity. 2 attacks each with a killing blow blessing should kill the priest. When he dies the engine is lost in the tide of the battle and so we are much safer.

The Slann will most likely take Heavens and will be looking to drop comets down on you. Against Lizards I don't think we can hesitate. We need to take the fight to him as quickly as possible.

Hope this helps a little. I'll do something similar for facing Warriors of Chaos probably tomorrow. Let me know if you have any specific questions about facing these two races.
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

Hi DA,
I get a minor win, thanks to a nice list, nice gamesplay and a lot of help from my opponent Marcel.

He played a skink army:
skink hero on ancient stegadon
skink priest on machine of gods
skink hero BSB
skink hero on teradon

three large mixed skink kroxigor units
4 kroxigors,
4 teradons
1 razordon
3 jungleswarms

Highlights:

- I stealed the lightning spell with the crystal
- I was able (thanks to your lessons from the game vs Dalamar) to close the areas so that he wasn´t able to use his teradons to throw stones for the first four rounds
- The 20 warriors with Assassine did a great jobkilling the swarms, one skink unit and the kroxigors and the assassine did some casualties to the terradons with the rendering stars.

negatives:
- An bad unnecessary error in turn 3 leads to get charged from the machine of the gods. Because of Bad luck I wasn´t able to slay the skink priest with hydra and black guard for three rounds.
- The MoG area damage was horror and leads to a lot of casualties.
- It would have been better to deplay the execes beside the BG to support against the Stegadon MoG, so they had the kroxigors as opponent, get charged, flew and the survivers were casualties of the teradon stones.
- I sacrificed the general CoB to protect the flank of the BG. The idea was to get charged hold and support the next round with BG but because of the warnmachine rule he put his unit in a bad angle on the CoB and I had to charge in the front via clipping. My support was less effective and in the end I lost the CoB and the Hags. But I learned from this.
- I lost the hydra slavers because of a bad setting via a flank charge
- A lot a bad luck with my dices especially in situation which were very important
- I forgot again to use the killing blow against monster riders

Things I did good
- avoiding free space between the units using harpies und couldron priestesses so that the teradons couldn´t land somewere and throw stones
- direct away his general on ancient stegadon by a good deployment on the right flank with the minor warriors and witch elfs

Things I did bad
- deployment of the Execes
- Pushing my corsairs into charge range of his skink priest on MoG
- Bad position of the hydra slavers in CC
- Use the Killing Blow to kill the rider of monsters

Things I learned:
Look for a better deployment of the Exces.
How Warmachines were charged and the opponent positioned
Some movement tricks
Use the killing blow to get rid of monster riders.

thanks to your tactic tricks against the LM they were very useful. I will face my next opponent next week. I hope to do a better job than yesterday, because I´m not satisfied with my gameplay.

Regards GeOrc
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Well done. Another win!

What charged the general's COB and why were you worried about the BG getting charged in the flank?

What charged the flank of the Hydra, was it already in combat when it got charged?

btw what army are you facing this week?
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

Hi DA,
The unit who charged the general was 16 skinks with two kroxigors.
A identical unit charged the hydra in the CC with the skink priest on MoG and slayed both slavers.

The next army will be O& G or Chaos, I didn´t know what David will lead to the battlefiled.

Kind Regards GeOrc
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Against Warriors of Chaos.

IMO we are reasonably placed against the new WoC army. The instant threat most armies have when facing these guys is that of the Gateway spell, but the ring of hotek means that he is most unlikely to get that spell off. Nonetheless I suggest you read the Chaos book to familiarise yourself with exactly how it works. in addition, you should familiarise with the following specific things:

The Warshrine
Infernal Puppet
Death's Head
Armour of Damnation
Bloodcurdling Roar
Word of Agony

In addition check out the latest official WoC FAQ on the GW website and note the change to the Mark of Nurgle. I would suggest that once you see what magic casters your opponent is using, you have a read through the relevant spell deck.

Overall, I find this army very straightforward in it's approach to the game. A typical WoC will have medium to heavy magic, much of which does not require los (although units need to be within range) but which can do lots of damage. Typical combos are Knights of Chaos with the Mark of Nurgle carrying the Banner of Rage for example. Most WoC armies also tend to have most light and infantry units marked with Slaanesh as this makes them immune to terror, fear and panic without being classed as immune to psych. This means they can flee a charge if they want to.

Their troops are very hard in combat and have good saves, but their troops are somewhat pricey so you should outnumber them. This will be a good chance for you to keep the army fairly true to the diagram Kel provided so that you have the magic protection, whilst being able to bring multip[le units to bear for combat res.

Remember too that their mark of Khorne is true frenzy, so you can lead these units wherever you want by careful placement of your Harpies for example.

I would be looking to get a charge or counter charge against his high save stuff with Executioners boosted with +1 attack, and I would be looking at killing blow as the blessing on the multi attack units in our army. 1+/2+ save units do not like killing blow!! :twisted:

Watch out for disc riders trying to get access to the COBs, but bear in mind that they too do not like killing blow! :lol:

I think it should be a good game against WoC as our army is fairly well equipped to deal with their magic phase, and we can take them on in combat due to our ability to enhance our combat units. Good luck.

The Black Guard should come into their own in this game for you. Use them well my friend :twisted:
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

Gary has it on the head. Warriors hate DE unit with killing blow and you have gop plenty of ways to get the knights. The ring is too good not to have in your army. Good luck but i think you will be fine.
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Hope your game goes well buddy. I'm going up against Ogres tomorrow. A friend of mine is using them in a tournament soon and wants some practice. Should be fun.
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

Hi DA,
I faced Davids Chaos Army yesterday. I lost with a small point difference of 400 pts.

It was a long, good and very challenging game for us both. From my side: I faced on of my feared matches, with a lot of fast untis and a lot of evil flyers. From my opponents side: David faced GeOrc and his temple of Khaine who have learned much and decieded to make this a evil bloody day for him.

The Chaos Army
David had played fast units only. His General was a exalted slaaneshi Champion on Steed of Slaanesh, attended by two Exalted tzeentch Champion on Disc (one BSB) and a sorcerer lvl 1 without mark on Steed.

2 Units of 5 marauders on horses with mark of Slaanesh (one with spears)
10 Marauders on foot
2 units of 6 Knighs both with mark of Slaanesh
1 unit of 3 dragon ogres
1 warshrine with mark of Slaanesh
1 chariot
1 hellcanon of Chaos

He choose lore of fire and get the fireball

What happend
I choose side, started deployment and won the dice for 1 round which I offer to David.
Looking at his fast army I had the plan to try to play an refused right flank to try to splitt his units, especially his knights so that I can deal with one after an other. I started to deploy the corsairs in the center and then put some baits on the table so that it looks I would concentrate on the right flank which I would refuse later. First the 15 spears on right side in the center, then the bait, the witch elfs on the right flank and to support the impression some harpies where I could change position quickly in the first round. I hoped he would put some Knights or the dragon ogres on this flank but this didn´t happen.

Unfortunatly David didn´t engage with my plan and deployed three blocks, a strong center and each flank nearly in equal strenght. My baits faced the Slaanesh General on his steed of Slaanesh. Because he deployed a stroon center I was forced to concentrate here as well instead of concentrating on the left side. Damn.

David had the first round and moved forward. In my round I tried use the crystal to steal his fireball which already cost my hydra two lifepoints. I wasn´t sucessful. Also I had to change my plan. David had a strong center which could be terrible if he would be able to get some flank support. Also I need some flank support If I would be able to break his center. I had to keep the flanks clean and what´s why I get a new plan. I remembered Alexander the great using a diagonal attack strategy means cleaning dealing with the left flank fist, then the center with help from my flank units and then get the general and his marauders on the horses on the right side who needs to be busy unitl I have time for him.

The plan went well, I moved forward on the left side offering my 20 spearmens flank the dragon ogers and be careful that this would be the only charge they get. David liked the bait and my Assassine decoverd to cause 3 wouds, he failed to kill on of my men and the surviving spearmen did enough wounds to get a high CR and the DO flee from the table. David had to rethink his strategy because now my 20 spears with warbanner and hydra dominate his flank. His characters tried to support the flank but after the assassine caused 1 wound with his rendering stars on the exaltet champ on disc he moves them back on the center. In the menatime the center hold it´s position and the right side move backwards while the harpies slow down the Slaaneshi exaltet champ.

I wanted to move the spears to the center to support my troops but the spears had to reform standing in bad position after the persuance of the DO. David used the time and put his marauders on foot in place so that I won´t reach the center without killing the marauders and persue in a wood. To get time I put out the master and the assassine to deal with the marauders and alternatively bait the flying characters back on the flank to chase both so that hhis woul weaken his center. David get also this bait and the BSB moved to deal persanaly with both. Fine. I think it was round three I decieded to start with my center. I moved the frenzied corsairs in a good position to sacrifice them to the chariot and some knights. Both get the bait, knowing if both persue both stand directly in front of Hydra,Execes, BG and the 15 spears. All went well, the standard bearer survived, I flee he persued with the chariot and failed to suprress persuation with the knights and had to persu as well. Time to deal with his center while in the meantime his general on the left was still busy ti catch some harpies and some withc elf who play cat and mouse with him.
In my next turn I killed his chariot with Exces and Hydra but perused again into a bad position. The knights flee and I wasn´t able to chatch them, bad luck. In the following round I was charged by the warshrine in the BG which hold and the Exces were chared by the knights an flee. After some turns I was able to win against the Warshrine but persued into the second knights. I get a lot of damage and only 3 BG survied but the hold position and the following turn I charged with the hydra and both units doped with KB from the cauldron killed all knights in CC. In the meantime the general on the right had killed my right flank which was forseeable. My center was very weak now. So that hiy flying characters were bold to charge my troops. The BSB turned again on the center and support them. The exalted Champ on disc charged the hydra and killed her wiht only 1 wound left this wasn´t very difficult. The Slaaneshi General charged the 3 BG in the back, I had first strike and KB and he died at once. My 15 spears charged some marauder horsemen and killed them. The Games ended

I played withou making any errors. Every turn and action was thought out. Same by David. We analysed the game but found nothing we would have changed or found errors in my gameplay.

The only thing I thought about was that the spears weren´t able to close the space to the center, But he nailed me there and my best chance was that the characters deal with the marauders and I moved march block to the center in hope that the marauders would be killed. But the master was killed by the BSB and the Assassine wasn´t able to kill the marauders with only 3 attacks and cause of bad luck with my dices. So the Spears wouldn´t be able to join the fight anywhere.

It was a good game, against a fast and hard army and a very good player. Most of my opponents David, Marcel and Thorsten were some of the best players here in germany so it´s a hard fight against them. David contratulated my for a very good gameplay and said that I had learned much and alarmingly fast, to fast in his eyes thinking he had a easy game against me. Time changes, so they should fear the temple ;)

Kind Regards GeOrc