The flying cow.

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Benji
Malekith's Personal Guard

The flying cow.

Post by Benji »

Hi guys,

Its been ages since i posted a list on here so i thought i'd share my current 2250/2300 list with you.

I took this to the merseyside meltdown as 2250 and will be taking it to call to arms as 2300 this weekend.

The Flying Cow - Dreadlord; General; Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield
Armour of Eternal Servitude; Ring of Hotek; Caledor's Bane;
Manticore

Superman - Master BSB; Heavy Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield;
Pendant of Khaeleth; Sword of Might; Dark Steed

Master; Lance; Heavy Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak
Lifetaker; Enchanted Shield; Dark Steed

Sorceress; Level 2; 2x Dispel Scroll

20 Dark Elf Warriors; Shield; Standard; Musician
5 Dark Riders; Rptr Crossbow
5 Harpies
5 Harpies
10 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen; Shield; Musician
5 Shades; 2ndWeapon;
5 Shades; 2ndWeapon;
1 Cold One Chariot
1 Cold One Chariot
2 Reaper Bolt Thrower
Hydra

In 2250 the caddy is a lv1 and i lose the rxb Muscians and 1 spearman.

You can see pics of my army HERE
Last edited by Benji on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

Benji mate, nice list. How are you finding playing with out too much magic and avoidance but i guess terradons has changed things then???

How soes the horse master been doing would've guessed a different item set up for him or even another wizard to give a magic phase.
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
Benji

Post by Benji »

The Lifetaker master is great. She minces about shooting stuff and gets a 0 save from return fire. As long i remember to keep her out of combat i'm fine. the problems start when she tries to fight. I've had her killed be a lone fiend twice and thats after i charged
Grandmaster ej

Post by Grandmaster ej »

Yeah I ran a Lifetaker/Steed master in the GT heats and it works very nicely. Looks fairly nice actually, nothing OTT appart from the BSB but hes far too good not to have sometimes.
Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting infers the possability of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.
22over7
Dark Rider

Post by 22over7 »

I'm interested to know why you have gone with AHWs on your shades rather than what appears to be the more standard GWs. Is it the particular opponents you face/points/WYSIWYG or something else?

Your army looks very impressive benji, I particularly like the Hydra chariots! I also love the modelling on the Dark Riders' horses, is it all done with GS? (Apologies mods I know this is an army list forum :oops: )
When a young Malekith failed to complete his maths homework, Morathi was overheard saying to his friends "He's not the future Pheonix King, he's a very naughty boy".

DE 7ed W6/D3/L6
22over7
Dark Rider

Post by 22over7 »

I also just noticed that your rosta excludes the Hydra (and also the assassin and what appears to be a central Dark Pegasus) which appear in your army group shot. Is this a concious decision not to use one (to avoid cheese) or was it more a case that you didn't want to drop anything else?
When a young Malekith failed to complete his maths homework, Morathi was overheard saying to his friends "He's not the future Pheonix King, he's a very naughty boy".

DE 7ed W6/D3/L6
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Re: The flying cow.

Post by Dyvim tvar »

The Flying Cow - Dreadlord; General; Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield
Armour of Eternal Servitude; Ring of Hotek; Caledor's Bane;
Manticore

I know many people would think I'm crazy, but if I run a Dreadlord on a Manticore, I generally don't bother with a ward save. The reason why is that the Manticore itself is pretty squishy due to the total lack of armor save, so close combat attacks often get thrown towards the Manticore in any event. Rather than the Armor of Eternal Servitude, it is cheaper to max out the Dreadlord's armor save by taking Armor of Darkness, and against attacks of strength 5 or less, a 1+ armor save is as good (or better) than 3+ and Regen. Then on top of that, I take an item that will protect both the Dreadlord and the Manticore from either shooting or magic -- Ring of Darkness, Null Talismans, or the Ring of Hotek. You have the Ring of Hotek, which is a fine choice here.

With points saved from switching to Armor of Darkness, I would get a pair of Repeater Handbows -- even if you only get a couple rounds of shooting, they always more than pay for themselves. Finally, I'm a fan of Deathpiercer over Caledor's Bane -- it's cheaper, combined with the Manticore, it gives you a load of Killing Blow attacks, and you get the Killing Blow ability whether or not you charged.

Superman - Master BSB; Heavy Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield;
Pendant of Khaeleth; Sword of Might; Dark Steed

Looks good.

Master; Lance; Heavy Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak
Lifetaker; Enchanted Shield; Dark Steed

Not a fan of this guy. Remember, a character cannot march and shoot even if deployed in a unit of fast cavalry, so this Master cannot make use of his full 18" move and still use Lifetaker. Lifetaker is really meant for characters on flying mounts (flyers don't march and so you can always shoot) or characters who expect to remain relatively stationary (a sorceress in a crossbow unit for example). I would be tempted to dump this guy entirely and get more Dark Riders ... (

Sorceress; Level 2; 2x Dispel Scroll

I would not waste the points on a level upgrade for a single caster. In tournaments, pretty much everyone has more than enough magic defense to effectively shut down a single level 2 caster. By getting the upgrade, you only end up justifying the points your opponent spent on magic defense.

20 Dark Elf Warriors; Shield; Standard; Musician
5 Dark Riders; Rptr Crossbow

You should have a musician -- and another unit of these guys

5 Harpies
5 Harpies
5 Shades; 2ndWeapon;
5 Shades; 2ndWeapon;

Great weapons would be better on the shades. I looked at your army pics and you are using Manflayers, so it is even better from a WYSIWYG perspective.

1 Cold One Chariot
1 Cold One Chariot
2 Reaper Bolt Thrower

In 2250 the caddy is a lv1 and i lose the rxb Muscians and 1 spearman.

You can see pics of my army HERE[/quote]
Truly These are the End Times ...
Benji

Post by Benji »

The Hydra is a typo. It should have been in there. I've edited it now.

The lv4 on peg i have used for 6 months now and fancied a change, same applies to the assassin.

I think the assassin is too easy to kill, he tends to be a waste of points for what he does.

The shades are awesome with xhw. I used GW's and found that they are the wrong tools for the job the shades are needed for. You should not need to use shades to crack anything heavily armoured, and at st5 they don't do a great job of it. They are best going after light targets and shredding them with a bucket of attacks.
Benji

Post by Benji »

Dyvim Tvar wrote:

I hear what you are saying about the regen. Its a good shout.

The Lifetaker noble is gold! it really is. I know she can only move 9" and fire but thats usually enough.

The lv2 is only upgraded because the list jumped to 2300 and i fancied givng it a try.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

benji wrote:
Dyvim Tvar wrote:The Lifetaker noble is gold! it really is. I know she can only move 9" and fire but thats usually enough.

The lv2 is only upgraded because the list jumped to 2300 and i fancied givng it a try.

I love Lifetaker too! I just prefer to maintain my mobility. If you had the model for it, I would drop the extra level on the Sorceress so you could put the Master on a Dark Pegasus. Maybe use your model of the sorceress on a pegasus as a master?
Truly These are the End Times ...
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

Benji mate, i have the same opinon about the assassin. It is great but very squishy. I like the list, and the manti must be good against Daemons. Have you thought about the ring of darkness on thew manti???
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
Benji

Post by Benji »

The Master on a peg is on the list of models to build.
Grandmaster ej

Post by Grandmaster ej »

I took the easy way out and just combo-ed a load of spare spearmen parts with a bret peggy model lol.
Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting infers the possability of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.
Darkangel16
Black Guard

Post by Darkangel16 »

looks amazing

the hydra chariots are awesome
Benji

Post by Benji »

Thanks.

When i make a peg it will be Morathi peg, wild rider head and coldone rider parts for the rider.