Focus Familiar and hiding behind a unit.

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Melikai the wicked
Black Guard

Focus Familiar and hiding behind a unit.

Post by Melikai the wicked »

Just as the title says I have a tactic that I have used mabye once or twice in tourneys which is to have a sorceress with the focus familiar behind a unit. The idea behind this is to keep her out of sight while at the same tim take advantage of the FF special ability. The reason for this tactic is to keep her away from combat at all times. BGs come to mind as the perfect unit to try this tatic on as thier ITP and stubborn will ensure they are not moving. So my question is what do you make of this tactic?
From the Frozen Peaks of IronFrost, Arises the Eternal Servent of Khaine
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Works ok, BG are almost difficult enough to shift, you could call them moveable terrain. Mind your guns on the hill, though. And template weapons, cannons, and magic users who are also Large. [Or, on top of something Large].
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Focus Familiar and hiding behind a unit.

Post by Rabidnid »

Melikai The Wicked wrote:Just as the title says I have a tactic that I have used mabye once or twice in tourneys which is to have a sorceress with the focus familiar behind a unit. The idea behind this is to keep her out of sight while at the same tim take advantage of the FF special ability. The reason for this tactic is to keep her away from combat at all times. BGs come to mind as the perfect unit to try this tatic on as thier ITP and stubborn will ensure they are not moving. So my question is what do you make of this tactic?

Buildings are better. My sorc is on a DS and uses whatever to block LoS. If you are worried give her the pearl so she doesn't need to worry about panic.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Master of arneim
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Master of arneim »

In my opinion woods are the best terrain. Why? Because you can easily avoid everything that is not within 2" from you after you've moved. Becuase you could use a sorceress on foot, avoiding expencive mounts, and because the protection granted from the wood is all rounded, even halving the movement rate of your enemies trying to catch the sorceress. Another nice add is that woods are forbidden to flyers. Watch out from lizard though, and from their terradons/stegadon with d6 at 2d6".
Master of Arneim, proud ruler of the cult of the thousand draichs, because bigger is better.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Layne is right -- although this is a valid tactic against some opponents, you have to be careful against others. In particular, look out for enemies that field cannons -- they will simply aim at the unit in front hoping for te cannon ball to bounce through and hit the sorceress, who will get no Look out Sir! roll.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

...and enemies with non Los magic or other ranged attacks, like infernal gateway, burning alignment, anvil lightning etc. It's still safer to keep her in a unit, even with the familiar if possible.
Irtehdar
Assassin

Post by Irtehdar »

I use the Focus Familiar often. And I usually put the little lady on a DS to give her maximum manouvrebility. Dont hide behind a certain unit of terrain feature all game. Move her to whereever you need her in each turn. 18 march + familiar + spell range gives her an insane range with her spells.

I do the same with my noble BSB with HA, Shield, SDC and a DS to apply his aura to whereever I need it in the next round.
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

I like forests, if an enemy unit tries to get you they have to spend a whole turn moving into the forest and by that point you can have ridden off somewhere else. Not much can catch a fleeing Dark Steed/Dark Pegasus
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage