Spellshield
74%

Total votes: 50

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Hand of Khaine or Spellshield?

Post by Kinslayer »

Which item do you feel Malekith should have alongside Destroyer? The 6th edition Hand of Khaine, or the 7th edition Spellshield?

As much as I like the rules for the shield, I feel Hand of Khaine was way better and cooler.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I'm not sure I understand the point of this post.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

To find out if people prefer the Hand of Khaine or the Spellshield, perhaps?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Spellshield hands down.

Loss of Hand of Khaine might've taken away some of Malekith's combat potential... but it removed his biggest weakness - magic missiles.

6th ed Malekith can die from a single lucky fireball
7th ed Malekith will most probably kill anyone trying to get a lucky fireball through due to Spellshield.

What I'd rather see is Destroyer being more reliable.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Excidium666
Shade

Post by Excidium666 »

Spellshield rocks, you just watch those mages of your opponent die from casting spells on Malekith :).

6th edition hand was alright but magic defence is more important in this case.

Thanks
High elf is an elf after all, therefore he deserves a quick death...
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Sorry, I should have been more clear. What I meant to say was "in what way is my or anyone elses oppinion on the matter going to make a difference?"
Dreadlord taylindril
Dark Rider

Post by Dreadlord taylindril »

Spellshield all the time.
It was the magic item Malekith had in the 5th edition so roll it on.
it is time for us to make war on the Asur; shed blood in khaine's name.
hail king malekith

dreadlord taylindril of hag graef
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Spellshield is awesome. his unit will, on average, only get one spell cast at them in the whole game because enemy mages are so scared of it.
T'keela
Noble

Post by T'keela »

I'm gonna have to say from a totally awesome, raddness point of view the Hand. Nothing more evil than running around crushing humies heads with your fist!

But at the same time the Spellshield makes him less squishy, which lets face it as a king, he should be able to take a couple blows before he crash and burns.
T'Keela Darkspine
Group 30
Stats: WS4 S3 T4 D4 I4
Equip: Sword, Light Armour, blackpowder pistol, 4 bullets, 2GP.
Skills:
Kabal
Warrior

Post by Kabal »

i hated fielding him in the last edition precisely because all of my opponents viewed him as free victory points

now however :D
The SkaerKrow wrote:There are already mounted Assassins in the book. They ride a Steed of Shadows ;) .

New DE list
w 1 / d 2 / l 0
Garluch
Beastmaster

Post by Garluch »

I think the claw was more fluffy. As its was part of his armour in 6th i thought it was strange to remove it, even if the shield makes him so much better against his big weakness:magic.
But one cant make the lion/cat/tiger thing without it :*rawr*(makes clawy things in the air)... 8)
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

The Hand of Khaine was part of his armour in 6th edition... but it never existed in 5th. So we have a return to good old spellshield.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Ayeril
Dark Rider

Post by Ayeril »

hurray for spellshield!
Mithrandiur
Dark Rider

Post by Mithrandiur »

phierlihy wrote:Sorry, I should have been more clear. What I meant to say was "in what way is my or anyone elses oppinion on the matter going to make a difference?"

It won't, it is merely a discussion. If everything here had to make a difference to post then you'd probably end up with alot less posts in this forum. :roll: I don't get YOUR post.

On topic, I prefer spellshield! Fantastic for all round magic defense. He is practically immune to magic with it, though he is still alittle lacking in CC.... :)
There is no pain, where strength lies.
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

OK, before things get out of hand - As long as this discussion is a discussion it's fine, no one will mind. You can express your opinion and discuss it with others, that's what a forum like this is for. Whether it makes a difference or not doesn't much matter (what difference does a question about your favourite colour make, or your favourite unit, or whatever else? it's just exchanging opinions and ideas with each other, and that's what we're here for).

Elaryl: Your post is spam. Please refrain from posting three-word posts with little to no contribution to the discussion.
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

Spellshield is a helluva lot better for Malekith - he does *kinda* have the claw incorporated as his statline has S5 which is not the usual for an elf lord: it is HUGELY bemusing to watch a player whos not fought the new Malekith to launch nasty spells at his unit only to suffer the effects themselves - particularly if its someone like say Teclis... 8)

That said the hand was certainly what made Malekith taking in the last edition it meant that he had his uses as a can opener/character killer despite his ridiculous flaws - if fighting magic weaponed characters you have to make sure you were prepped: either a soul stealer to boost your wounds or word of pain on the desired enemy...

As dalamar and other point out though one measly number 1 spell on many lists (fire, light, death) can topple our great lord and rightful phoenix king in one pathetic phase. I fully support Dal's thoughts - having a better Destroyer would've been great.

I also think that the Circlet of Iron isnt living up to the expectations of what its *supposed* to be able to do - read Malekith and see what I mean... ;)

- Beanz
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Dangerous Beans wrote:I also think that the Circlet of Iron isnt living up to the expectations of what its *supposed* to be able to do - read Malekith and see what I mean... ;)

- Beanz

(sorry, had to remove that god-awful colour from your post... use something more readable in future is my recommendation to you.)

As for the circlet, Morathi beats him even with the circlet on him...
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Light blue on black is perfectly readable, unless you have put on a different background and/or suffer colour blindness?

Anyway, I agree. In the book the Circlet is like the equivelent of +3 PD and DD, but hey, GW like to give old Mally crap rules compared to other races.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Kinslayer wrote:Light blue on black is perfectly readable, unless you have put on a different background and/or suffer colour blindness?

Anyway, I agree. In the book the Circlet is like the equivelent of +3 PD and DD, but hey, GW like to give old Mally crap rules compared to other races.
Naah, I think it was just me using the computer in the sunlight in hindsight...
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

Spellshield but I will still never use him because he cost too many points and kinda weak for his cost.
And the server wrote:Internal Server Error
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Crawd wrote:Spellshield but I will still never use him because he cost too many points and kinda weak for his cost.

I have used him several times. Against most armies he is a tough proposition in a BG unit. He makes them immune to magic, benefits from their strikes first or armour piercing banner and makes surrounding troops more reliable.

Malekith is not a gamewinner like the daemon or warriors special characters. He is a fluff character who is about fairly costed (for a decent fighter and a decent spellcaster combined). He is more of an army support than a centrepice. Use him as such.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Crawd wrote:Spellshield but I will still never use him because he cost too many points and kinda weak for his cost.

I have used him several times. Against most armies he is a tough proposition in a BG unit. He makes them immune to magic, benefits from their strikes first or armour piercing banner and makes surrounding troops more reliable.

Malekith is not a gamewinner like the daemon or warriors special characters. He is a fluff character who is about fairly costed (for a decent fighter and a decent spellcaster combined). He is more of an army support than a centrepice. Use him as such.
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

Although I wish Malekith had both the Hand of Khaine and the Spellshield, if I had to choose I would go Spellshield. There are too many people I play who think magic is the answer, especially when they use skaven.
A reflective MR2 makes your opponent react to Malekith as a unit anchor instead of merely a combat threat.
As sulla said, Malekith is not meant to destroy your opponent directly. Instead he is there to make sure you can get across the board without taking as many casualties.
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.
Farodin
Assassin

Post by Farodin »

Spellshield all the way! Ok, the Hand of Khaine is more fluffy and cool, but he simply is too vulnerable too magic without the shield. I also want to try an army out with Malekith in it, never tried it out actually :P .
We are Druchii, the cold-hearted blades of destiny.
We shall cut through the world and bring forth Khaine's Kingdom...
...and all shall know their masters
Dante valentine
Cold One Knight

Post by Dante valentine »

Spell shield is a very cheeky magic item. It might not lack the un-subtle punch of a runefang for example, against an unwary opponent or one who is going to try his luck it works wonders.

The only problem is the character its attached, the sheer points cost of Malekith rules him out from all but the largest game. Used him once, got killed by dragon princes :(

Ah well....

Dante