Brotherhood of the Coast – The Druchii Corsair League

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Kasumi
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Kasumi »

I have made some x-bowman out of corsairs with Warrior crossbows stuck on (the new plastic kits are so versitile that you can do this without much fuss). They wear adapted sea dragon cloaks that give them an extra armour save in close combat instead of against shooting (counts as a x-bowman with shield and hand weapon).
Do you know that Korhil is ambidextrous?

Nurgle is infact just a little boy who hasn't taken a bath for milennia
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Do you guys wish to keep track of painting & modelling corsairs as well?
I am thinking of Sword of the Hag Corsairs army, claiming to be a corsair army even with not many corsairs inside, so belonging to her with the spirit more than with the letter?
If it was the case, I usually do not browse the P&M forum, so I'd like someone else to keep track.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Do you have an idea for the COB?

Well my friend I had this revelation today, as the Sea Serpent Standard gives Frenzy, a somewhat Khainey rule, and in the Darkblade books the corsairs seem to worship the Sea Dragons below or at least give sacrifices and commend souls of the dead towards them.

Perhaps an ancient artifact plundered from the city where Lokhir found his mask? The Shrine of the Serpents? I'm thinking massive coiled Golden Serpent Statues framing a giant 'cauldren' of frothy water containing several small serpents with a corsair captain ie deathhag, commending the souls of some slaves to the dragons in the 'pot' in exchange for the power to fight better and hence bequeth more souls to their hungry maws?

It seems to fit with not only the corsairs in this new fluff but also with Thenatoz' WE, beserker corsairs and I think we could turn the entire DE list into a Corsair theme if we really put our minds to it.... The aforementioned Captain of the SotS would be a member of Thenatoz' warrior cult, who could be fanatical worshippers of the Sea Dragons?

That would also explain their Frenzy rule, by linking it to the Frenzy Corsair Banner and perhaps creating our new little religion to sweep D.net?

I ask you this Brothers of the Coast, Are you with me?

EDIT: Calisson I usually peruse the P&M threads even though I am a slack painter it's always nice to keep new ideas flowing, I would be happy to keep an eye out for promising Corsair P&M threads that are out there?
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Edtharion
Warrior

Post by Edtharion »

So do you guys/gals have any background to your army? What grand ideas do your Corsair Princes have for making their fortune?
Mercy is for the weak
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Edtharion wrote:So do you guys/gals have any background to your army? What grand ideas do your Corsair Princes have for making their fortune?

My answer is posted there:
Getting to know your army and general (new version)
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

Zardock wrote:
Do you have an idea for the COB?

Well my friend I had this revelation today, as the Sea Serpent Standard gives Frenzy, a somewhat Khainey rule, and in the Darkblade books the corsairs seem to worship the Sea Dragons below or at least give sacrifices and commend souls of the dead towards them.

Perhaps an ancient artifact plundered from the city where Lokhir found his mask? The Shrine of the Serpents? I'm thinking massive coiled Golden Serpent Statues framing a giant 'cauldren' of frothy water containing several small serpents with a corsair captain ie deathhag, commending the souls of some slaves to the dragons in the 'pot' in exchange for the power to fight better and hence bequeth more souls to their hungry maws?

It seems to fit with not only the corsairs in this new fluff but also with Thenatoz' WE, beserker corsairs and I think we could turn the entire DE list into a Corsair theme if we really put our minds to it.... The aforementioned Captain of the SotS would be a member of Thenatoz' warrior cult, who could be fanatical worshippers of the Sea Dragons?

That would also explain their Frenzy rule, by linking it to the Frenzy Corsair Banner and perhaps creating our new little religion to sweep D.net?

I ask you this Brothers of the Coast, Are you with me?

EDIT: Calisson I usually peruse the P&M threads even though I am a slack painter it's always nice to keep new ideas flowing, I would be happy to keep an eye out for promising Corsair P&M threads that are out there?

Very nice idea! And it would look very good too. Also, how about:
- Slavers: Armed with great weapons made too intimidate the flock of slaves the Corsairs capture on their raids, the slavers have learnt to control a huge number of slaves. They often make a show of decapitating the toughest of slaves with a single stroke, intimidating and enough to keep even the baddest of greenskin slaves in check (killing blow). They are often found on the battlefield brandishing their great weapons, however, due to the size of their weapons, their sea dragon cloaks doesn't offer the same protection to arrows as the other corsairs (who almost conceal themselves and their weapons completely in their cloaks when not fighting).
Edtharion
Warrior

Post by Edtharion »

I like the slavers idea, something about it seems off, maybe killing slaves, a fine source of income for Corsairs but otherwise its good and right now I can't come up with anything better
Mercy is for the weak
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

- Slavers: Armed with great weapons made too intimidate the flock of slaves the Corsairs capture on their raids, the slavers have learnt to control a huge number of slaves. They often make a show of decapitating the toughest of slaves with a single stroke, intimidating and enough to keep even the baddest of greenskin slaves in check (killing blow). They are often found on the battlefield brandishing their great weapons, however, due to the size of their weapons, their sea dragon cloaks doesn't offer the same protection to arrows as the other corsairs (who almost conceal themselves and their weapons completely in their cloaks when not fighting).

Ok so it seems we have an idea here athough you forget the Khainite rule for Execs, could we explain their inclusion in our serpent cult? Other than that I love it =D I think we can make an alternate list and eventually start posting conversions of these things for an entire corsair fleet army including its spiritual side etc.

With the Cloaks on the Slavers, I use a similar thing to show my Warriors with Crossbows not having shields and instead in combat they weild their cloak in one hand like a shield giving them the hand weapon shield bonus. They only get +1 against shooting because they cannot fully wrap it around themselves because they are weilding their crossbows and the protection is thus minimalised.

Ah IDEA!, because cloaks give +1 save the slavers could be modelled with lighter armour combined with the cloak to represent their heavy armour in the game, that way they are still not tanking it up wearing plate mail corsairs and yet retain their rules? Also the lack of the heavy armour would allow them to fit into the Serpent Cult.

2nd order of business would be this, for the Serpent Religion we need a name for it, or should it just remain as a superstition that most of the corsairs abide to and only some take a tad to far ( WE corsairs and the Prophet on the Shrine (COB) )

I had an idea awhile back for CoK mounted on serpents and a more serpentine hydra of the depths that would have been dragged ashore by the Crew of the ship for some added fire power. Sadly my modelling skills are somewhat lacking and so I dropped that program but it's and idea to justify some of our heavier troops.

Thus Far we can Justify:

Warriors and Crossbows (corsairs use spears anyway and lords add them to the raid sometimes)

Black Guard (personal retainers of the Captain/Noble in command or Ex-Black Guard who have fallen in love with raiding)

Witch Elves (Thenatoz' Crazed beserker Corsairs who are now officially worshippers of the cult of the Serpent and take to battle minus the armour and use poisons from their 'gods')

Executioners ('slavers' with Great Weapons who know how to kill a slave of any race who's causing trouble for the ladz)

Cold One Knights ( Can just be there or perhaps are mounted upon Sea to Land Serpents for an aquatic assault )

War Hydra (Can be brought on a bigger ship, or an aquatic Sea Dragon Cousin who was dragged from his watery home to slay for his new masters)

That about covers most of our armies choices. If anyone can figure a Chariot that could be in our corsair fleet then please bring up your idea. Aquatic Chariot crossed my mind but I thought that a tad silly?

Anyway that's all I can drag from my mind at the moment everything else likes to slot into a corsair theme nice and smooth though we have made some good progress with this.

Now the next question is who wants to model the Serpent Shrine?

Zardock (Group 27)

Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Well I created a list with the Cauldron in it and would like some feedback on it. It can be found here

Well as the idea for the Shrine of the Serpents is now stuck in my head I am embarking on a quest to build the bloody thing. If you know of any bits that would be handy then please post them in this thread so I can order them and begin modelling this thing.

The Idea it to have a large pool filled with a few small serpents possibly flanked by 2 pillars with golden serpent statues coiled around them, with a raised stone plinth about the pool where the Corsair priest will be dragging a young slave to the edge to be tossed into the pool.

I'm not quite sure of the dimensions and will be working up some sketches soon but hope to get cracking once I'm moved in at uni and grab some spare time on my hands.

Zardock (Group 27)

Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

Yeah, going with light armour and sea dragon cloak was the idea for the execs. How about Assassins? I really like them. They wouldn't be as trained as Temple assassins, but depends on how serious the Cult of the Serpent is.

Anyway, Dark Riders and Reaper Bolt Throwers aren't on your list, but I imagine there will be some in every fleet. Also, since Shades are mercenaries, they fight for everything. Or perhaps Shades are the initiate assassins in the Serpent Cult?

I think a chariot can be justified as a personal means from a lord, depending on the wealth of the corsair lord and his family. Same with Cold One Knights, and thus perhaps the Hydra.
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Assassins already appear on Corsair ships, they are hired to train the corsairs, and I'd like to think the serpent cult is just that a cult and does not have the means to train an elite order of warriors, they are just beserker fanatics who took superstition to far using ancient Old One artifacts they looted as a sign from their 'gods'.

The assassin I would use fluff wise would be a spy from the Temple of Khaine sent to assert the usefulness/threat level of the new religion and see if it will attempt to defy the temple.

Then again no reason to excuse the odd beserker who becomes really adept at killing/ incredibly blessed by the Serpents. Do not think we should take the Cult to far though it is just an excuse to bring in the Khainites who really did not fit in before.

Shades will remain mercenaries for me but this is just my fluff, if you want to take the Cult alot further then that is fair enough and you brought the inspiration for me to invent the Shrine of the Serpents with you're beserker Corsairs and now I'm knee deep in learning Green Stuff techniques and sculpting in order to get my shrine just right.

I'm thinking of a very 'this is Sparta!' moment with a slave being booted into the pool by the Heirophant.

I still do not know how I'll model the actually pool/cauldron part of the shrine though I have a moderately good idea about the surrounding structure.

But my real problem at this particular moment is in fact how to model Dark Riders, I hate our models of them and want them looking fairly corsair-ish to fit into my army.

Zardock (Group 27)

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Zardock wrote:my real problem at this particular moment is in fact how to model Dark Riders, I hate our models of them and want them looking fairly corsair-ish to fit into my army.
What about glade riders horses and their rider's legs, with our new corsairs half-top? You'll get the crossbows, and some of the fancy weapons provided can count for spears.
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

What about glade riders horses and their rider's legs, with our new corsairs half-top? You'll get the crossbows, and some of the fancy weapons provided can count for spears.

Hmm that could work, though perhaps sculpting some robes onto their bodies would give them a more dark rider feel?

I'll have to play around with some plastics and see whats what then.

Zardock (Group 27)

Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

There's something much lke that somewhere around. Also yall might be interested in this
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Sirius dragonbrood
Corsair

Post by Sirius dragonbrood »

@ Zardock, have you thought about the Slaaneshi noble daemonic steed for the serpents? you may have a better idea, but that's my immediate thought. I may have to try it, just for grins.

My own corsair contribution, just to be the complete flipside to the rest of this idea, is my significant corsair portion (42 models in my latest army) are mountain rangers in Naggaroth's own version of the ash wastes. The cloaks are a fantastic (if I may say so myself) highlighting from black-red-orange-white to represent the flayed skins of the native (camoflaged) creatures. the delayed fleeing rule comes about as a result of their moutaineering pitons etc.
Lokhir khial
Slave on the Altar

Post by Lokhir khial »

First of all thanks Calisson for the indepth answer to my question :D

I have taken your advice on board and i am sure that soon my ship's slave holds will be full of high elves and lizzards.

I have been looking through the past posts and i am surprized that know one has mentioned the first two Malus Darkblade books for Corsair fluff.

In answer to your question am i related to Lokhir Fellheart, no my farther was his frist mate on the tower of blessed dread.
Kaine calls to you, i shall help you to see him.
Warpghost
Guardian of Montreford

Post by Warpghost »

I find you putting Cold One units as Corsair-neutral to be very wrong. Corsairs represent the lowborn of Druchii society that have taken up war full-time. Niobles also take to the permanent warrior life but they wont do it amongst the ranks of lowborn scum unless they're very minor/disgraced nobles or are in command of them. COK/COC are nobles, and that is where you will find the vast majority noble Corsairs, because their lifestyle makes the sacrifices of becoming a knight much more valuable. They'll be galivanting around the field on the back of a dinosaur taking the richest pickings whilst the dregs of Drcuhii society fight over scraps.

Personally, im looking to include a unit of Corsairs over the generic RBT power pick; my army however isnt themed as raiders per se, but rather a more general House force. The Corsairs however represent a portion of House warriors who have taken to the raiding life full-time, but are sometimes drafted back into general House service when required (or else the House is performing a mass raid so more than Corsairs march to war).

As to why Corsairs are perhaps not that great, I feel they are definitely at 1 point overcosted, but I dont think dropping price would actually make them any more viable (and they certainly are better than previous, with fractionally improved cloaks, the slaver rule, hatred, and the handbow and magic banner options). They simply occupy a few niche roles, whereas their competitors are genuinely more balanced, solid choices.

OTOH, Assassins are definitely not a raiding unit, and neither are dragons neutral because the power they represent would never be used on something as pedestrian as a raid, same with Hydras and Black Guard.
Just giving my Z$100bn.

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Assassins are definitely not a raiding unit

But they are, Assassins are hired from the Temple by a corsair captain to train his crew in better ways of combat. It's been brought up before and possibly mentioned in the AB IIRC.

Zardock (Group 27)

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

All Hail Corsairs !
Mekhet wrote:Ale ! Slavery ! Piracy !
Yaarr fellow corairs !
A friend of mine found this group and for you corsair lovers, I'll share with you. It's a group of pirate metal and it's name is "Alestorm" ! Hope you like it ! and lastly, long live to the ninjas pirates dinosaur druchiis, Yaaaarrrrrr !!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alestorm
http://www.myspace.com/alestorm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7sHLjI1sQE
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Ah it's good to see people who like Alestorm, not the best band ever but the feel is so piratey you just gotta love them.

"I want more wenches, lots of wenches is what I need."

-The new official slogan of my Corsair Captain.

Zardock (Group 27)

T'keela
Noble

Post by T'keela »

YAAAR PIRATES!
Q: Why is a pirate a pirate?
A: Cause they AAAARGH!

Pirate by The Filthy Youth
Boneyards by Parkway Drive
Sharks in Your Mouth by I Killed the Prom Queen

Some of the best ever songs and definately my favourites when it comes to plundering, pillaging and raiding to my black hearts deep desire. Anyway I was thinking about what you said about COK not being a viable/neutral choice in a Corsairs theme army and I'd have to disagree. I'm sure I've read someone where in either 7th or 6th Ed. about a noble hiring a corsair fleet to go and get him some slaves. So you could easily field say a Master/Dreadlord to represent the employer as well as a unit of COK as his retinue or whatever and then have the rest of the army as a Corsair fleet he has hired.
T'Keela Darkspine
Group 30
Stats: WS4 S3 T4 D4 I4
Equip: Sword, Light Armour, blackpowder pistol, 4 bullets, 2GP.
Skills:
Cal'mihe
Dark Rider

Post by Cal'mihe »

Regarding Cold One Knights in Corsair centrict armies, I personally think it depends greatly on how you picture the background for the corsairs and how you envision the corsairs operating on their raids.

If the corsairs and their planners know that they risk facing combat with anything beyond rag-tag militia, then it makes sense for them to prepare adequately in advance. This means assembling the resources required to counter and defeat what obstacles they expect to meet.
If they're planning to storm a castle or other fortified position, they'd bring some means of gaining entry, be it by force (magic, monster, lots of ladders and lots of men, battering rams) or by trickery (magic, bribes, cunning plans, inside help)
Cold One Knights fill an important shock assault role in the Druchii military. This makes them a potential candidate for defeating certain obstacles, like infantry heavy counter-attacks.

This makes it a decision between if it is easier/cheaper/best to get hold of and transport a pack of vicious cold ones and their riders, verseus getting hold of and transporting something else that can fulfill their role.

The details of the logistics can be left up to imagination, I could picture a beastmaster or sorcress putting the cold ones under a drowsiness spell to make them hibernate until the raid has neared the hostile coast, or the cold ones could be fed very well in advance and the travel timed so that they're hungry and lean when battle is about to be joined.
The same applies for the knights themselves, the nobles are not a unified force with set rules and strictures, I could imagine the knights splitting the profits with the corsairs, or maybe they have some other reason to seek battle, they could be on a "quest" to prove their mettle, they could have been exiled by the matriach of their house or such.

The various bits and pieces of background that have been assembled across the army books suggest a diverse collection of forces in a raid. For instance Yhuel's raid from the previous army book as well as the series in WD back in the day of 5th edition (a mini-campaign against orcs & goblins I believe). A very diverse force was fielded there, with cold one knights being prominent in both the battle reports and the various pieces of fiction.

I guess what it can boil down to is that you, as general and creator of your army (and Corsair Captain, since you're in this tread :p), probably needs to decide if the reason your army is assembled is because it is primarily composed of professional Corsairs and this is one of their many many raids embarked upon, or if it a venture driven more by a noble, contaning his or her personal troops, and more focused on a single one-off raiding trip.

This leads to what I see as one of the main destinctions between professional Corsairs and the one-off raiding trips arranged by "Hobby Corsairs": Professional Corsairs probably sell off their slaves and loot on a regular basis, they do not expect to keep them for their own benefit. While a noble or sorcress might have different aims in mind, and want the slaves for labor, for sacrifices, for donation to the Witch King or the Temple, and possibly also for selling.
Johnz(cz)
Trainee Warrior

Post by Johnz(cz) »

I think Dragons are fluff-compatible, too. You can read it on page 6 in the second paragraph. "Great serpents from the deep crash through the waves alongside the reaver ships, while Manticores and Black Dragons circle the skies above."
Kill Them all!
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Thanks Johnz(CZ). First post updated.

I took Zardock's idea for myself.
Now my corsairs will benefit from a COB.
Calisson's COB
Ee
Trainee Warrior

Post by Ee »

I always envisioned the corsairs to not only be a professional fighting unit, but also avid businesselves. Sure, they run their own raiding parties for slaves and loot across the world, but I'm also sure that they sell their services to the highest bidder.

Think about it, the land of the DE is off on its own, and the corsairs are the primary navy of the race. Should a lordling decide to name a name for themselves, they need to go find their fame and fortune somewhere in the land of another race. That means that they need to go down to the docks and start talking to the corsair captains before their expedition even gets started.

So now people don't think that some units are compatible with the corsairs because they don't have the same goals in mind, but I don't think that really matters to a corsair captain so long as he's getting paid. The corsairs, when teamed up with units from other cities, are there to provide the transportation.

But just because they let some landlubber take a little ride doesn't mean the pirates aren't lookin for some booty of their own!