New to the scene.

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Iwasfrozen
Slave on the Altar

New to the scene.

Post by Iwasfrozen »

Hi, I'm new to the site and Warhammer in general.
Despite being a Chaos Marine player in 40k for a year, I know basically nothing about 40k and an hoping to start either a High or Dark Elf army.
So basically my questions to you are what are the main strenghts/weaknesses of the Dark Elves, how they generally fight etc.
thanks in advance for the help.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

We have 14395 registered users
The newest registered user is iwasfrozen

Hi, iwasfrozen, welcome to D.net.

May I suggest you the following threads (click to the hyperlinks)?
Essential Dark Elf Units.
Neccessities in an army list
new member and so many many choices
Help on army choices
New to Warhammer
New DE Player looking for Help

Quickly read.
Come back for more questions!
Don't make the wrong choice! ;)
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Iwasfrozen
Slave on the Altar

Post by Iwasfrozen »

Hey, thanks for the help. [I understand it must have taken a while to amass all those lnks]
But i'm looking more for what the army is like as a whole i.e the "feel" of the army, High Eleves have really tough elite troops but crap core units, Wood elves like to move around alot and shoot.
What is the feel and play style of the Dark Elf army ? Thats what I consider most important when chosing a new army. ;)
Slortor
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Slortor »

versitility is key with Dark Elves. Overall the army is fragile (barring the hydra) but with great options. We have special to rival the HE, and much better core troops...
We can shoot and run around like a wood elf, or alternatively build much more 'in your face' combat armies.

So pick the dark elves :D We have everything botht eh HE and WE have - and we're evil! What mroe could you want?
Name: Khalia D'Vaarko (meaning: Khalia, property of Vaarko)
Height/Weight: 5'6", 8 stone
Other: no distinguishing features, barring the brand of a great house left wrist.
Class: Mage
Equipment: Robes, Dagger, Staff
Skills: Power of Ulgu, Power of Chamon
Stats: Ws3, S3, T3, D4, I5

lrnec wrote: Reality and truth is more brutal than almost any fantasy game
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

iwasfrozen wrote:Hey, thanks for the help. [I understand it must have taken a while to amass all those lnks]
But i'm looking more for what the army is like as a whole i.e the "feel" of the army, High Eleves have really tough elite troops but crap core units, Wood elves like to move around alot and shoot.
What is the feel and play style of the Dark Elf army ? Thats what I consider most important when chosing a new army. ;)

Pros:
We have the best non chaos magic
We have the best fast cavalry, which is also core
We have core flyers
We have the best core shooters
We have more terror causing monsters than anybody else

Cons
T-3 so we are weedy
Mostly S-3 but many of our special choices and characters are S-4.
Only the BG are immune to phsyclolgy and stubborn normally. Witches are frenzied and khanite become stubborn within range of the cauldron.

Overall, our units are faster than most, with M5 infantry and M9 cavalry. Base Ld is 8 and our base BS and WS is 4, which is a lot better than most. You can play any style with dark elves, but with the appearnce of Warriors of Chaos, they are not the premier close combat army any more.

If you like magic, then a heavy DE magic list will be able to overpower just about anybody. If you like lots of small units and cunning plans, then DE do that better than anybody. If you want a balanced list with a mix of magic, shooting and close combat, then DE do that as well as anybody, with only Demons of Chaos being potentially better at it.

To get an idea of what is possible look though the various army lists and then post in a thread that you like the army. I'm sure the OP and others will be able to explain the workings of the list and how you could start your own version of the list at your prefered points cost.
"Luck is the residue of design"