2000pt Corsair Raiding party

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Time of madness
Corsair

2000pt Corsair Raiding party

Post by Time of madness »

The idea here was to create a themed corsair raiding party list using limited models (corsairs/bolt throwers/shades/harpies).

CHARACTERS

Dreadlord (general)
- Heavy armour/sea dragon cloak/shield
- Hydra Blade
- Pendant of Khaeleth
- Potion of Strenght
= 255pts

Master (BSB)
- Great Weapon
- Armour of Darkness
- Ring of Hotek
= 159pts

CORE

23 Corsairs
***Dreadlord here***
- Full Command
- Extra Hand Weapons
- Banner of Murder
*Assassin with extra hand weapon and rune of khaine
= 401pts

23 Corsairs
***BSB here***
- Full Command
- Extra Hand Weapons
- Warbanner
= 401pts

10 Corsairs
- Handbows
= 100pts

10 Corsairs
- Handbows
= 100pts

6 Harpies
= 66pts

SPECIAL

6 Shades
- Great Weapons
= 108pts

RARE

4 Bolt Throwers
= 400pts

TOTAL POINTS = 1990pts

Overall I'm fairly happy with how the list turned out. I've thought about dropping my main units from 23 to 17. This would give me some extra points to play around with.

The assassins are fairly essential in keeping my main units alive and giving them the ability to actually strike back if charged by my opponent.

I'm not sure on my character set up (specifically the dreadlord). He's alright for combat, but there are some other options that might have been better for this type of list....such as deathmask, peral of bleakness, ring of darkness etc. Alternatively Lokhir might me an option as well.

Another thought was dropping 2 of the bolt throwers and picking up a hydra...I guess it could be possible to theme one as some sort of sea monster....

I debated taking the sea serpent standard as it would be fluffy! However for this army to work I really need my two large blocks of corsairs to be able to move without having to worry about frenzy.

The handbow armed corsairs are an essential part of this list. They keep light units off my flanks and provide me with a unit that can do many things (baiters/re-directors/flankers).

I would love to squeeze at least one more unit of harpies into the army, but I couldn't find the points. The harpies provide my army with the ability to take out enemy war machines and to march block. They can also be used to protect my bolt throwers if necessary.

Any thoughts on the list?
Time of Madness
"If it hurts too much, make it hurt someone else instead."
-Robert Jordan
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: 2000pt Corsair Raiding party

Post by Calisson »

Time of Madness wrote:The idea here was to create a themed corsair raiding party list using limited models (corsairs/bolt throwers/shades/harpies). =>I suppose for fun games, not necessarily competitive?

CHARACTERS

Dreadlord (general)
- Hydra Blade
- Pendant of Khaeleth
- Potion of Strenght
= 255pts

Master (BSB)
- Great Weapon
- Armour of Darkness
- Ring of Hotek => that is your only magic defense. It is really low.
= 159pts

CORE

23 Corsairs => could make them 15
***Dreadlord here***
- Full Command
- Extra Hand Weapons
- Banner of Murder => a good one.
= 401pts

23 Corsairs => could make them 15
***BSB here***
- Full Command
- Extra Hand Weapons
- Warbanner => a good one.
= 401pts

10 Corsairs
- Handbows
= 100pts => missing a muso for total 105pts

10 Corsairs
- Handbows
= 100pts => missing a muso for total 105pts - also, two of such units are a lot

6 Harpies => you need many of such units.
= 66pts

SPECIAL

6 Shades =>I'd rather have a KB assassin there than in the corsair units
- Great Weapons
= 108pts

RARE

4 Bolt Throwers => oooooh that's nice.
= 400pts

TOTAL POINTS = 1990pts

Overall I'm fairly happy with how the list turned out. I've thought about dropping my main units from 23 to 17 => concur, you should do so. This would give me some extra points to play around with.

The assassins are fairly essential in keeping my main units alive and giving them the ability to actually strike back if charged by my opponent. => quite true. In addition, it allows the unit to be nearly as efficient if attacked on the flanks or rear than if attacked in the front

I'm not sure on my character set up (specifically the dreadlord). He's alright for combat, but there are some other options that might have been better for this type of list....such as deathmask, peral of bleakness => nice to become ITP, but remember, you have the general's high Ld so ITP is not that useful, ring of darkness => not useful for corsairs - on the other hand, some null shards would help etc. Alternatively Lokhir might me an option as well. => he is fluffy and would love the AP unit, and make it terror-free.

Another thought was dropping 2 of the bolt throwers and picking up a hydra...I guess it could be possible to theme one as some sort of sea monster.... => yes, that is another excellent option. All rare choices are excellent.

I debated taking the sea serpent standard as it would be fluffy! However for this army to work I really need my two large blocks of corsairs to be able to move without having to worry about frenzy. => it is efficient, though. In order to control the frenzyness, you can use the smaller units.

The handbow armed corsairs are an essential part of this list. They keep light units off my flanks and provide me with a unit that can do many things (baiters/re-directors/flankers). => very true. But a unit of MXB can do many useful things as well for the same price, and they are no stranger to corsairs.

I would love to squeeze at least one more unit of harpies into the army, => yes you should! but I couldn't find the points. The harpies provide my army with the ability to take out enemy war machines and to march block. They can also be used to protect my bolt throwers if necessary.

Any thoughts on the list?
Time of Madness
Let's review your efficiency against specific threats.
Against mass troops: good, thanks to your SCR.
Against armoured troops: you'll suffer. Think about facing Bretonnians.
Against ethereal creatures: only the dreadlord can do anything.
Against ASF: assassins are essential.
Against fear/terror causing: you rely on the high Lord's Ld. That should work most of the time.
Against magic: here you're very, very weak. Find at least two null shards.
Against shooting: corsairs are quite resilient. Beware of any kind of warmachine: you present dense ranks to balists and template attacks. Here the harpies are essential but they are not many enough of them.
Against MSU: the two big blocks may face only numerous small, unworthy targets. There your other units will be useful.
Against elusive troops. The 4 RBT are great to get rid of 1 or 2 small units each turn.

Overall, you lack mobility, you are weak versus heavy cavalry, armoured ASF, magic, you're hopeless against ethereal.
You must be ready to accept these weaknesses for the sake of an extreme fluff. An army too specialized with corsairs has drawbacks.

I suggest you to have a look to the following thread => (click)
Brothers of the Coast – Creating a Corsair League
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
iLLiTHiD
Warrior

Post by iLLiTHiD »

Against armoured troops: you'll suffer. Think about facing Bretonnians.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the banner of murder combined with the crossbows provide abit of armour penetration, and how much? I've heard that this combo is suposedly quite effective vs armoured cavalry.
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

I think this is actually a fairly solid list. It is a bit small. Have you considered dropping the corsair units to 18 strong and going 6 wide. This will give you a few points to perhaps invest in some dark riders after dropping something. Remember, dark riders aren't corsairs, but they are an integral part of a raiding party. With the new corsair bitz you can even model them to look like corsairs. Otherwise, I like it.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Time of madness
Corsair

Thanks for the comments guys. I made a few minor changes to the list to start with.

I took out the shades in favour of 2 additional units of harpies. The harpies act as the ships scavengers ;) Sort of like seagulls haha and fit the theme a bit better.

With the extra points I put musicians in the handbow units.

With the characters in the corsairs it will give me 2 solid units of infantry (6X4 formation) supported by the smaller handbow units.

Alternatively I can drop the main units down to 18 strong (6X3) and spend the points on more support units.

I should have enough fire power against heavily armoured armies. 4 bolt throwers alone should be decent enough.

On top of that I do have the banner of murder and a couple of assassins with lots of poison attacks (to get past high T opponents).

Here's the new list.

CHARACTERS

Dreadlord (general)
- Hydra Blade
- Pendant of Khaeleth
- Potion of Strenght
= 255pts

Master (BSB)
- Great Weapon
- Armour of Darkness
- Ring of Hotek
= 159pts

CORE

23 Corsairs
***Dreadlord here***
- Full Command
- Extra Hand Weapons
- Banner of Murder
= 401pts

23 Corsairs
***BSB here***
- Full Command
- Extra Hand Weapons
- Warbanner
= 401pts

10 Corsairs
- Musician
- Handbows
= 105pts

10 Corsairs
- Musician
- Handbows
= 105pts

5 Harpies
= 55pts

5 Harpies
= 55pts

5 Harpies
= 55pts

RARE

4 Bolt Throwers
= 400pts

TOTAL POINTS = 1991pts
-Robert Jordan
Dagger of assassination
Corsair

Post by Dagger of assassination »

Really nice corsair based list. I would change hydra blade to Dagger of Hotek.
You get 1+ attack, -1 save(well still have decent Armour save and pendant) and ASF.
Through Hatred All Things Are Possible!
kynthuithalkein!
3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Dagger of assassination
Corsair

Post by Dagger of assassination »

Stubid computer! sorry about the double post.
Through Hatred All Things Are Possible!
kynthuithalkein!
3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

I would consider putting your lord in the warbanner unit and the BSB in the banner of murder unit to balance out the static combat res a bit.
castrensis in totus res
Kbolster12345
Warrior

Post by Kbolster12345 »

druchii77 wrote:I would consider putting your lord in the warbanner unit and the BSB in the banner of murder unit to balance out the static combat res a bit.

The advantage of having the BSB in the unit with Warbanner is that if a super uber fighty char (Ogre Tyrant w/Tenderizer) beats up a champion in a challenge, takes the one wound, and gets full overkill credit the units still wins by one.

3 for ranks, 1 for numbers, 1 for banner, 1 extra for warbanner, and one for the BSB. Total of 7.

It comes in handy in other situations as well.

@ ToM: It's a very nice, different list. I can see many creating lists that are similar. There are odvious ways to make the list harder but they would break from the theme (which IMHO is a bit limiting).
Time of madness
Corsair

Thanks for all the comments gents.

Dagger of Assassination wrote:Really nice corsair based list. I would change hydra blade to Dagger of Hotek.
You get 1+ attack, -1 save(well still have decent Armour save and pendant) and ASF.

This is an interesting idea. I'd lose a little in the armour save department, but striking first makes up for it. I'll have to think on this one a bit.

druchii77 wrote:I would consider putting your lord in the warbanner unit and the BSB in the banner of murder unit to balance out the static combat res a bit.

Actually the bsb's unit was designed for as much static combat rest as possible. I figure the dreadlord with 5-7 attacks can make up for some combat res in the other unit.

kbolster12345 wrote:@ ToM: It's a very nice, different list. I can see many creating lists that are similar. There are odvious ways to make the list harder but they would break from the theme (which IMHO is a bit limiting).

Yes unfortunately themed lists tend to be a bit limiting :( I realize there are ways to make it better, but I want to stick to my ship theme as much as possible. Down the road I may add a hydra (sea serpent) to the list and take out a couple of the bolters.

Thanks for all the comments gents. Look for my upcoming blog ;) It will be good times.
Time of Madness
-Robert Jordan
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

I still think that a unit of dark riders would be fluffy and highly useful to this list.

They provide some much needed movement to this army list and they have the ability to flank and remove ranks. This will help you keep from getting surrounded.
castrensis in totus res