Raiders of Naggaroth(2000 Corsair-themed list)

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Lord dareth
Slave (off the Altar)

Raiders of Naggaroth(2000 Corsair-themed list)

Post by Lord dareth »

I was thinking about some corsair-themed list, so, here is it:
Lords.
Dreadlord(or Highborn)
Hydra Blade, AHW, PoK, Blood Armour, SDC
Heroes.
Master(or Noble)
BSB, Dark Steed, RXB, Banner of Murder, 'eavy Armour, SDC
Core.
2x20 Corsairs(Reaver, S. Bearer, Musician)
2x5 Dark Riders(Herald, S. Bearer, Musician, all with rxb)
Special.
2x10 Shades(Bloodshade, Light Armour)
5 Shades(Light Armour)
Rare.
2x2 RBT

Tactics: Offensive. Dark Riders - anti-war machines/flank/rear attacks, rxb fire. Shades - rxb, Rxb and again RXB. They starts near the enemy and shoots at hostile warriors(50 rxb shots - it's nice, and don't forget about DR)
RBT makes a good artillery support. And after this comes corsairs with dreadlord, and, again, don't forget about DR.
So, maybe some advices? I'm not sure about shades...
Johan chill
Executioner

Re: Raiders of Naggaroth(2000 Corsair-themed list)

Post by Johan chill »

Here's my two cents, having just started playing a 2k Corsair list. I've only got a half dozen game sunder my belt with the new dark elves (if you can call them new), but I learnt a LOT. :o

Lord Dareth wrote:I was thinking about some corsair-themed list, so, here is it:

Huzzah!

Lords.
Dreadlord(or Highborn)
Hydra Blade, AHW, PoK, Blood Armour, SDC

Looks decent enough, but optimising characters is not my strength as I rarely give them their full points worth of items. I prefer troops.

Heroes.
Master(or Noble)
BSB, Dark Steed, RXB, Banner of Murder, 'eavy Armour, SDC

This guy probably won't need the Mount. I'd use the points elsewhere if you can, but it can't really hurt for him to have it, if you can't find a better use for the points. *Shrug* The model is pretty ace, though. ;)

Core.
2x20 Corsairs(Reaver, S. Bearer, Musician)

Corsairs rely on their attacks, rather than Static Combat Resolution, to win fights. Therefore, you're better off having more units of 15 or less than having large blocks of them. 2 units of 15 and 1 unit of 10 will open up a lot more tactical (read: flanking!) opportunities, and increase the amount of attacks you inflict, thereby winning you combats more often.

2x5 Dark Riders(Herald, S. Bearer, Musician, all with rxb)

These guys are solid, but don't need a Herald and Standard. The Herald isn't worth his points for what you get, and the Standard stops them baiting units by being a walking sack of easy victory points. The Musician is quite important, however.

Special.
2x10 Shades(Bloodshade, Light Armour)
5 Shades(Light Armour)

Shades are great, but 10 might be a little unweildy; especially seeing as you have the slots to make them all 5 man units. Bloodshades aren't necessary for their points. Also, Light Armour will do very little to enhance your Shades (they will still die when focused on). However, if you swap the armour for extra hand weapons, or great weapons, you'll dramatically increase their usefulness for the same cost.
I think you'll also find that two units is more than enough, and, if you care for that sort of thing, will stop people scowling at you and muttering "cheese covered beard" under their breath.

Rare.
2x2 RBT

4 RBT's is a hell of a lot. I find them not as awesome as they seem, in practice, though they have potential. Basically, they're cool but unreliable. In place of 4, lose a unit of 5 Shades and drop 2 RBT's. In place of this, get a Hydra to add some much needed punch to your Corsair center. I've found that the two units really complement each other and I run a center of 2x15 Corsairs and a Hydra. Might be worth a try for you. :)

Tactics: Offensive. Dark Riders - anti-war machines/flank/rear attacks, rxb fire. Shades - rxb, Rxb and again RXB. They starts near the enemy and shoots at hostile warriors(50 rxb shots - it's nice, and don't forget about DR)
RBT makes a good artillery support. And after this comes corsairs with dreadlord, and, again, don't forget about DR.
So, maybe some advices? I'm not sure about shades...

This is a good start, but, overall, you may find you lack a bit of punch when you hit the gaming table. Give some thought to what I said above, but, it's only my opinion. What you feel comfortable with weilding is what will usually get you the best results, regardless of theory hammer.
Lord dareth
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Lord dareth »

Thanks for that :) And, maybe it is a good idea to "delete" master and take a sorceress.
If Imperial Steam Tank is coming to you you still may survive the battle - Tank may destroy himself.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Corsairs will benefit greatly from the 3 banners below (in order of preferrence, best first):
- the SSS banner, the most interesting if you can handle the frenzy.
- the "ordinary" war banner, very cost-efficient
- the AP banner.

15 is nice in a unit:
5-wide against hard targets, 7-wide against soft targets.

Overall, corsairs are rather resilient to ordinary shooting (not warmachine's). They are nice against horde infantry.

But:

They have trouble against armoured troops if not boosted by the COB's KB.
They are quite slow.

As a consequence, if you have many corsair units in your army, you need to complement them with quick agile troops (harpies, DR, shades) and with hard hitters (hydra, COK, execs, COC...). So much for corsair's fluff!
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Lord dareth
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Lord dareth »

And... Here is it! Re-written list.
Lords.

Dreadlord
Hydra Blade, AHW, PoK, Blood Armour, SDC - 237 pts

Heroes.

Sorceress
2nd level, Tome of Furion, Dispell Scroll
Uses Dark Magic - 175pts

Core.

15 Corsairs
Full Command, Banner of Murder - 200pts

15 Corsairs
Full Command, War Banner - 200pts

10 Corsiars
Full Command - 125pts

10 Warriors
Musician, Shields - 73pts

2x5 Dark Riders
RXB, Musician - 234pts

Special.

2x5 Shades
AHW - 170pts

5 Cold One Knights
Full Command, Standart of Slaughter or Standart of Hag Graef - 210 pts

Rare

2RBT - 200pts

War Hydra - 175pts

Total: 1999pts
If Imperial Steam Tank is coming to you you still may survive the battle - Tank may destroy himself.
Johnz(cz)
Trainee Warrior

Post by Johnz(cz) »

I would go for 7*2 corsairs instead of 5*3. If you give them SS Standart they can do awesome things againt low T/AS foes. In this case they do not need Static CR. Because of their high AS against shooting they are not good target for shooting, so you can reach the combat without any wound.

Give your sorceress Dark Star Cloak or FF. One more dice is very useful.

Your shades will be much more powerful with GW´s. With hatred and WS5 they hit easily and then with S5 they can usually wound on 2+.

Then try to avoid a stupidity by using Banner of Cold Blood. When you CoK´s fail stupidity at important moment, it can devastate you game. In every case I wouldn´t give them SoHG.

For make all of these changes you can drop spearmens.

Otherwise decent list ;) .
Kill Them all!
Lord dareth
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Lord dareth »

Thanks, I will remember that :)
Johan chill
Executioner

Post by Johan chill »

In the case of your sorceress, a Level 1 with 2 Dispel Scrolls will give you the same, if not better, protection than your current build, and it's cheaper to boot. The extra level will rarely make a difference; especially against an army with more than one caster. With one caster, you'll rarely have any action in the Magic Phase, in my experience. Though, I do play in a heavy magic environment.

The difference between Two Weapons and Great Weapons in entirely dependent on your regular opponents and style. Either is good, though I have a preference for the former.

I really hope your planning on spreading those Spearmen out in a long line of cannon fodder in front of your corsairs. :D
I love that tactic, but it seems to have disappeared now Harpies are Core choices. They probably don't need Shields in that case.
Lord dareth
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Lord dareth »

You know, I don't like Harpies at all, the same I can say about witch elves :) And shields I used to grant my spearmen with longer life. And about sorceress: usualy I play against armies with only one or without wizards, so, she may be useful
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Dreadlord
Hydra Blade, AHW, PoK, Blood Armour, SDC - 237 pts

Hydra Blade is a magic weapon you cannot get the bonus +1 attack for the additional Handweapon on your dreadlord sorry.

I'd have to agree with Jonz here, in my corsair list I run 2 units in 7x2 to optimise the no. of attacks you will dish out in combat. One unit has the Banner of Murder and the other one has the Sea Serpent Standard. The frenzied unit is babysat by a unit of 10 corsairs with RHB.

Then I'd have to say the perfect compliment to Corsairs is the COB and some Executioners. COB turns the Corsairs into the worlds greatest can openers, and the executioners will either die horribly or be ignored and tear through flanks like it's nobodies business.

Just my 2c.
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Lord dareth
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Lord dareth »

So, a couple of cors units 7*2, execs or BG and no AHW for Dreadlord. About CoB - I'm not sure about it. Maybe in 2250pts list.
Brokenstone
Cold One Knight

Post by Brokenstone »

Yeah, with Killing Blow the Corsairs can be truly brutal, so in a bigger list I would think that the Cauldron is mandatory. I would have thought as much with this list somewhat actually, but I am a big fan of it. And I don't know how well or poorly it fits into the fluff.

6 or 7 Wide Dark Elves are almost the only way I run any except warriors nowadays. But I am leaning towards lots of smaller units lately, the impact is where the action is at.