Couple of Dark Elf reports vs WoC. 2250pts. w/Pics!

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Shimmergloom
Slave on the Altar

Couple of Dark Elf reports vs WoC. 2250pts. w/Pics!

Post by Shimmergloom »

Played two games vs WoC(2 different opponents) this past sunday. Wrote up the reports and posted them at warseer. I figured I'd post them here as well to get some feedback from DE players themselves.

*quick note on how we place terrain. We each roll a dice and take D3 + 1 pieces of terrain.

We take turns placing(can't place within 12" of the center). Then we take turns scattering each terrain piece 2D6(roll of hit and the terrain stays where placed. Although some players don't like that an insist on using the Hit's arrow to always scatter it). Then we roll off for table sides as normal. We play all hills are equal level, all hills can see over large targets(so they can hide behind hills), obstacles and such, but hills cannot see over woods or buildings. Also most people want buildings to remain impassable, so that's pretty much what we do.

For this game I rolled for 4 pieces of terrain and chose 2 hills, 1 wood and 1 farmstead. He rolled for 2 and took a wood and marsh.

My list for both games:

1. General: Master
Cold one, cloak, lance, shield
Armor of Eternal Servitude

145pts.

2. BSB: Death Hag
Cauldron of Blood

225pts total.

3. Lvl 2. Sorc
Dark elf steed(I just want to use this model). Lifetaker(I looked through the book and can find nothing in the brb or de book that would disallow her from taking lifetaker)

177pts.

4. Lvl 2. Sorc
2 scrolls

185pts.

5. 20 Warriors
Full command

135pts.

6. 5 dark riders
repeater crossbows

110pts.

7. 5 dark riders
repeater crossbows

110pts.

8. 5 harpies

55pts.

9. 5 harpies

55pts.

10. 19 Black Guard
Full Command
Banner of Har Gareth
Champ carries Soulrender

332pts total

11. 6 Cold One Knights
Standard/Musician

186pts.

12. 5 shades

80pts.

13. 5 shades

80pts.

14. Hydra: 175pts.
15. 2 RBTs: 100pts each.

Total: 2250

---------------------------------------

WoC game 1(pretty much from memory, so some equipment may be left out that I didn't know about or don't remember)

1. Daemon Prince
mark of tzeentch
lvl 4 mage
Tendrils of Tzeentch and Conjoined Humunculus

555pts.

2. Lvl 2 Tzeetch sorc
disc, infernal puppet, favor of the gods

200pts.

3. Exalted Champ(General)
Juggernaught of khorne, mark of khorne, shield

180pts.

4. Lvl 2 Sorc
Bloodskull Pendant, something else?

185pts.

5. 14 khorne Chaos Warriors
full command/halberds, shields, mark of khorne
blasted standard

338pts.

6. 12 Chaos Warriors
Shields, full command
Banner of Wrath

267pts.

7. 5 Marauder Horsemen
throwing axes, lt armor, spears or flails
musician

91pts.

8. 2 x 5 hounds

30pts each

9. 5 Khorne Knights
standard, musician, mark of khorne

260pts.

10. 2 spawn

55pts each.

total: 2250

-----------------------------

Here's a pic of game 1 at setup.

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo28 ... start1.jpg

what you can't see are his daemon prince and tzeetch disc sorc who are in the upper left corner behind his horsemen.

And his knights who are on the left side of the peasant farmstead.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Vs WoC game 1:

WoC turn 1

1. Movement.

He moves up. His deamon prince and disc sorc fly over the woods to land in front of my two rbts.

2. Magic.

Flickering fire kills both crew from one rbt.
Another flickering fire that I fail to dispel kills 1 crew to the other rbt and does a wound n the machine itself.

A fireball kills 1 black guard. I have to burn a scroll to stop a fiery blast on my black guard.

He tries some spell that fails and he gets stupidity.

3. Shooting.
His axes do no damage to my shades in the woods.

4. No Combat.

Forgot to take a pic after this turn.

--------------------------------------------------

Dark Elf Turn 1:

1. Stupidity passed. Terror test on shades passed.
2. Movement.
5+ ward on my bg.
I fly away my harpies to make sure he can’t terror bomb them.

I move my shades out of the woods to be able to shoot at his disc sorc.

3. Magic.

I try 2 power of darkness, one fails, one is dispelled.
He dispels one doombolt at his hounds.
A 2nd doombolt kills 2 hounds.

4. Shooting.
Lifetaker kills 2 more hounds. They fail panic and flee.
Shades and both dark rider units combine to kill a spawn.
Other shades shoot and do 1 wound to his disc sorc while my lone rbt finishes him off.

5. No Combat

Pic of the end of my turn 1.

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo28 ... urn1v1.jpg
-------------------------------------------------

WoC Turn 2:

1. stupidity passed.
2. Movement.

His knights charge my hydra. Since one knight will be able to attack the beastmasters and likely kill them both, I don’t want to risk my hydra winding up with a result that won’t let him move from the spot he’s on. So I flee my hydra. At the angle of his charge, he is just able to barely clip my shades, so I flee them as well.

The shades flee through both dark riders and warriors. The warriors fail their panic test and flee. Ugh.

3. Magic.
He tries a fireball and fiery blast on my black guard which kills 3 total.
Treason on my harpies does no wounds.
I dispel flickering fire.

4. No Shooting.
5. No Combat.
End of his 2nd turn.
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo28 ... cturn2.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------

Dark Elf Turn 2:

1. Stupidity passed.

2. Movement.

My shades charge the flank of his horsemen, who flee and get away.
My cold ones w/master charge his dogs, who hold and pass fear. He holds cause he’s hoping my overrun will make me fall short. He had miscalculated on how fast the cold ones could move, thinking they were much slower. He had thought they were not mounted.

I rally my hydra and warriors, but my shades do not and flee off the table.

3. Magic.

Doombolt does a wound to his spawn.
Another doombolt is dispelled.

4. Shooting.
Both dark rider and lifetaker finish off his 2nd spawn.
Volley at his fleeing horsemen only kills 1.

5. Combat.
I kill all his hounds and overrun into his warriors w/general

End my turn 2.

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo28 ... urn2v2.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------

WoC turn 3:

1. Movement.

His other warriors charge my black guard.
He is just barely out of LOS of my cold ones, so cannot charge them.

His knights are forced to charge my dark riders(bg are just out of range, so he can’t charge them from frenzy instead).

I flee my dark riders. My sorc passes her panic test, but my freaking warriors who had just rallied, fail again and flee.

He rallies his horsmen.

Argh.

2. Magic

His sorc can’t cast his missle spells in combat, so is unusable.
His prince is ineffective with his spells as well, since there’s so much stuff in combat now and he doesn’t have good LOS.

3. No shooting.
4. Combat.

My general is challenged by his general. I have to answer. I am unable to wound him, while he kills my general. My other knights though, kill 6 warriors. I forget about his champ, who kills 1 knight.

Still though I win 8-5. I forget he should have lost frenzy and be on insane courage, instead he’s testing on a 5. He fails anyway. Worse for him, is that while he outruns me, it’s only by 2 inches. So unless I fail stupidity, I will run him down in my turn.

In the BG combat, his champ challenges and I am unable to kill it with my bg champ. He kills my champ, but only with 1 wound.
Then my other bg can only kill 2 more warriors(2+ armor saves are tough to crack with only S4) and do 1 wound to his sorc.

However, his remaining attacks only kill 2 bg and that includes his super S8 attacks from his sorc’s magic weapon.

I win 6-5 but he passes his break test.

End his turn 3.
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo28 ... cturn3.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------

Dark Elf Turn 3.

1. Stupidity is passed. Harpies though fail terror and flee into the horsemen and are destroyed.
2. Movement.
Killing blow for my bg.
I charge my cold ones at his fleeing warriors w/general to wipe them out.
I re-charge my shades at his horsemen, who hold this time.

I rally my dark riders, but my warriors do not rally and flee off the table. Sigh.

3. Magic.
With just one sorc left, she tries to black horror his knights, but he dispels it.

4. Shooting.

I volley at his daemon and do 1 wound.
Other shooting is ineffective.

5. Combat.

My shades do nothing. He kills 1 back. I lose, but pass my break test.
My bg are able to do great things with killing blow. I take down about 3 warriors and finish off his sorc. I only lose 1 or 2 bg in return. He breaks, but outruns my pursuit.

End my turn 3.

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo28 ... urn3v3.jpg
------------------------------------------------------

WoC turn 4:

1. Movement.
His knights charge my hydra who holds.
His prince charges my bg.

His warriors rally.

2. Magic.
He does a treason on my bg and they kill I think 1 of them.

3. No shooting.
4. Combat.
My bg can’t wound his prince, he kills 2 or 3 of them. They pass their stubborn test.
His horsemen kill 2 shades(who hadn’t killed any horsemen again) and they break and are run down.

His knights kill both beastmasters and do a wound to the hydra. I do pass my monster reaction test. However, then the hydra is completely unable to kill a single knight.

The hydra breaks and is run down in pursuit.

End his turn 4.
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo28 ... cturn4.jpg

Check out his cool vermin lord prince.

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo28 ... prince.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------

Dark Elf Turn 4:

1. Movement.
5+ ward for bg.
I charge my dark riders at his horsemen’s flank.

I move my cold ones to charge the warrior’s rear in turn 6.

2. Magic.
I try black horror again. I do get it off this time. It kills 2 chaos knights.

3. Shooting.
Lifetaker kills a knight.
A volley kills a knight.
And long shots from my other dark rider unit are able to kill that final knight.

4. Combat.
I kill 2 horsemen, he breaks and runs, but I do not catch him.
I still can’t wound his prince. He takes me down to 4 bg left. The pass stubborn.

End my turn 4.

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo28 ... n4v4-2.jpg
--------------------------------------------------------

At this point he has to go, so concedes. Final scoring shows me slightly under 700pts ahead. But we both feel that even if he wipes out my bg, I have the rear on his warriors, so I’ll get those points right back. Plus 2 more turns of shooting and magic should take off 1 more wound from his prince and give me half points for that and let me capture at least 1 more quarter.

All he had left on the table were 7 warriors, the prince and 2 fleeing marauders(who even if they rallied, were going to likely die to the dark riders).

So solid victory for the dark elves.

Final Score:

Dark Elves: 1904
WoC: 1221

Next up game 2 vs WoC.
Shimmergloom
Slave on the Altar

Post by Shimmergloom »

His list was difficult for me to remember.

1. Chaos Khorn Lord
Juggy, runesword, runeshield, mark of khorne.

When looking at his list at the end to add up scores, his lord was like 393pts. So I think he might have taken some mundane equipment that he really didn't need as well.

393pts.

2. Slaanesh Exalted Champ
daemonic steed, shield, mark of slaanesh
helm of many eyes

195pts.

3. tzeetch sorc
lvl 2, mark of tzeetch
Favor of the gods and spell familiar(I know he had this).
probably a scroll as well.
160pts to 185pts or so.

4. 12 warriors
2 hand weapons/shields, full command
frenzy banner

5. 12 warriors of slaneesh
mark of slaneesh, shields, 2 hand weapons
full command

6. 10 chosen of khorne
shields, extra hand weapons
mark of khorne, full command
some sort of banner I think.

7. 5 knights of tzeentch
full command, lances, ward save banner
mark of tzeentch

8. 2 x 5 warhounds

9. 20 slaanesh marauders
full command, shields, lt armor
mark of slaanesh

10. 5 slaanesh marauder horsemen
spears, lt armor, musician
mark of slaanesh

---------------------------------------------------------

Table after set up:

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo28 ... start2.jpg

WoC game 2:

2nd game vs a different WoC opponent. He hadn’t finished writing up his list when I finish my first game, so I ask him if he is ok with just leaving the terrain as-is to save time. He is fine with it.

We roll off for sides and I win. So I just choose the side I was already on. It’s slightly better terrain wise for me to have him on that side, with the marsh to break up his forces.

But mainly it’s a case of people playing war machine(which he was playing while I played game 1) on the table directly behind that side, while the 2 people playing 40k behind me are at a diagnol(only using one of the 2 tables that are pushed together) so there’s no one to bump into all game.

Last time my sorcs both had 1 and 6 spells. This time I rolled 1’s and 5’s. And natural one’s, so I was stuck with soul stealer on both and it’s limited range.

He wins roll to go first.

------------------------------------------------
WoC turn 1.

1. Movement.

His chosen roll on eye of the Gods and get +1T.

Marches forward.

2. Magic.
He miscasts right off the bat. He does one wound to himself.

3. No Shooting.
4. No Combat.

end of his turn 1.

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo28 ... urn1-2.jpg

----------------------------------------------------

DE turn 1.

1. Stupidity passed.

2. Movement.

5+ ward to bg.

I charge both harpy units at his hounds, just to clear the field of fodder. He flees both and gets away.

Even if he catches the harpies in charges his turn, it will set me up for counter charges in the following turn.

3. Magic.

I try power of darkness both times. He dispels one and the other does not have enough power.

I try 2 doombolts on his knights. I have one dispelled, the other does 0 wounds.

4. Shooting.

Dark riders and one rbt shoot and wipe out his horsemen. Lifetaker and another volley do nothing to his knights.

They have that 1+ armor and 4+ ward save, that I just can’t crack.

I shoot one shade unit at his chosen and do nothing.

My other shades and dark riders shoot at his warriors on the left and kill maybe 1.

5. No Combat.

End my turn 1.

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo28 ... n1v1-2.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------
WoC turn 2:

1. Movement.

His Khorne lord charges my hydra. I hold.
His slaanesh warriors and slaneesh marauders charge a harpy unit each. I flee with both and he catches the harpies with the warriors(which is what I wanted to bring them into charge range, although I was hoping to get my hydra and bg to charge him, but now could not). The other harpies outrun his marauder charge.

One hound unit flees off the table, the other rallies.

He also wheels his chosen and other warriors toward my cold ones. He’s splitting his warriors, which is what I hoped for. Now I only needed to worry about his knights threatening my other flank.

2. Magic.

His magic does nothing.

3. No Shooting.
4. Combat.

His lord and juggy strike at my hydra and do 2 wounds. My hydra and bm’s only manage one wound to his lord. So it’s a 2-2 tie.

End his turn 2.

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo28 ... urn2-2.jpg

------------------------------------------------
Dark Elf Turn 2:

1. Stupidity passed
2. Movement.

I give my hydra killing blow.

My bg charge his slaneesh warriors w/champ. My cold ones w/master charge his chosen(I’m hoping to beat them on the charge).

I rally my harpies.

3. Magic.

I try one doombolt which is dispelled and then the other one, I miscast and it lets him cast any spell he has. He chooses pandemonium, that makes me unable to use my general’s ld and miscast on any double.

4. Shooting.

I again try taking out those knights or at least hurting them as they are getting close. I pour into them with lifetaker, both rbt’s and dark riders on that side, but just can’t kill any.

My shades around the farmstead shoot at his hounds and kill a couple, they flee in panic.

My other shades and dark riders shoot at his warriors in front of them, I think I kill maybe 1.

5. Combat.

His lord does 2 wounds to my hydra. Yipes.
My bm’s can’t hurt or killing blow him.
His juggy does a wound, but I thankfully regen it.
But the hydra also just can’t get the killing blow or hurt the lord.

His exalted champ challenges and I accept with my bg champ. We roll off to see who goes first and I win.

But my champ can’t hurt his exalted. He kills my champ, but it’s only 2 wounds.
My bg then kill(he’s using hw/sh) 2 more warriors and he only gets one bg in return(bad rolling). I win 6-5 but he does not break.

He again does hw/shield(2+ save and T5. Ouch).

He challenges with his chosen champ. I answer with my general. I suckily cannot kill his champ, he doesn’t hurt me either.

My other knights only take out 1 chosen(actually the cold ones kill him). He takes out 1 knight in return for a 3-3 tie.

Not as decisive as I was hoping for.
I got greedy with the chosen charge. I should have charged his frenzied warriors. They couldn’t flee and I should have broken them easily. And then protect my flank with the farmstead side shades.

End of my 2nd turn.

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo28 ... n2v2-2.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------

WoC turn 3:

1. Movement.

He does not charge his warriors into the cold ones, but instead to my dark riders. I am guessing, he’s hoping for later flank charges. He is just barely able to make the charge, so he’s not forced into charging the cold ones from frenzy.

I stand and shoot, killing about 1.

The reason I do not flee is to make it take a long time for him to position a flank charge, as he’ll need a whole turn just turning now.

His hounds flee off the table.

2. No Magic(he’s keeping his spell in play)
3. No Shooting.

4. Combat.

Now this is rough. My hydra has 1 wound left. His lord gets to strike first. Something like 7 attacks not counting the juggy(5 basic, 1 for his runesword, plus 1 for frenzy). S6.

He does like 3 wounds and I regen them all. My beastmaster’s try to take him out, but do not. So then his juggy attacks and does 2 wounds. I save one with armor and then regen the 2nd.

WHEW.

And. It saves the day, cause then my hydra killing blows his Khorne Lord.

But there’s still more battles to fight.

He wins roll off this time for ASF and his champ goes first. It kills about 2 bg. My remaining bg get nothing. His warriors then kill about 2 more bg. I pass my stubborn check.

Finally in the knights vs chosen battle, for the challenge, his champ wounds my general as I am still unable to kill his champ.

My knights and cold ones take out like 1 chosen, he kills 1 more knight. It’s a 3-3 tie this time.

He completely wipes out my dark riders.

End his turn 3.

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo28 ... urn3-3.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------

Dark Elf Turn 3:

1. Movement.

Killing blow to the bg now.

I charge my hydra into the bg fight.
I charge harpies and dark riders(to the flank) of his marauders w/sorc.

I move out both my sorcs from the warrior unit.

I know he has a charge on my warriors if he wants it, so I move them up close, so that if I break and run and manage to outrun him, I’ll still be on the table, rather than running off the table.

2. Magic.
With his spell still in play, it’s risky, but I try soul stealer on his knights, but my mounted sorc is just out of range. My other sorc tries it as well, but not enough power.

3. Shooting.

I really need to kill at least 2 of those knights to blunt their charge next turn.

I pour in AGAIN with both rbts(single shot on one, volley on the other) and lifetaker.

Again I just cannot get through that armor and ward. I honestly have no other real targets for that shooting anyway.

One shade unit has no target. The other comes out of the woods to shoot at his warriors, but do no wounds.

4. Combat.

He wins the ASF roll off again. He has to attack the hydra. This time, he does kill my hydra.

My bm cannot hurt his champ. However, with killing blow, my bg’s kill 4 warriors(3 with killing blow). His champ kills another bg.

He loses by 3, breaks and is run down by my bg.

My dark riders, kill his sorc and 2 marauders. My harpies fluff their rolls and kill nothing. He kills a couple of harpies in return.

I lose by musician, but pass both break tests.

However, this is a short lived celebration as I lose my general and 2 more knights to his chosen(I kill maybe 1 chosen).

I break and am run down by his chosen.

My shades also panic and flee.

End my turn 3.

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo28 ... n3v3-3.jpg

WoC turn 4:

1. Movement.

He’s back in the game and now I have to hold out and recover from my losses. But we’re playing fast now as we only have 20 min left.

His knights charge my warriors.

2. No magic.
3. No shooting.
4. Combat.

He kills 10 warriors. I flee and get away.

He kills another 2 harpies, I kill maybe 1 marauder. I lose, my horses are ok, but the remaining harpy flees and can’t rally.

Doesn't look like I remembered a pic for this turn.

----------------------------------------

DE Turn 4:

1. Movement.

I rally my warriors. I rally my shades. Move other stuff out of the way.

2. Magic.
Still can’t hurt his knights.

3. Shooting.

Still can’t shoot his knights. Nothing else to really shoot at with this stuff.

My shade units try desperately to hurt his chosen and warriors. I can’t hurt them.

4. Combat.

He breaks my dark riders now, but I get away.

End of my turn 4.

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo28 ... n4v4-4.jpg

-----------------------------------------------

WoC turn 5:

1. Movement.

I think he forgets to charge the warriors, or we forget to work out combat here.
He charges my fleeing riders, who get away almost off the table.

2. No magic.
3. No shooting.
4. No combat.

I think we forget the warrior combat. Meaning, I can't remember if he recharges or just forgets to.

No pic for this either, we were in a rush to try and get 5 turns in.

--------------------------------------------------------

DE turn 5:

Last chance to pick up points.

1. Movement.

Looks like I forget to rally the riders, which pretty much evens up not fighting this warrior combat vs my warriors.

2. Magic.

I try soul stealer on his knights. Since we were not ranking them up, cause of the model parts which makes it impossible to rank up, I didn't check to make sure about whether this could be cast into a combat, but luckily soul stealer can be in combat, so whether this was an ongoing combat or not doesn't interfere with the casting.

I fail it anyway.

3. Shooting.

I concentrate shooting on his marauders and get them down to 50% for vps.
Then my shades are able to kill the 1 or 2 warriors I needed to get them down to 50% for vps.

My other shades can’t get the wounds on the chosen to get them down to 50%.

4. No Combat.

Pic of the end of my turn 5.

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo28 ... urn5v5.jpg

We have to stop here as we have 5 minutes till the register closes and the manager starts making us pack up while they are closing the store.

When figuring it up, it’s a draw in my favor

Dark Elves: 1636
WoC: 1371

This is including the warriors full value and the table quarter he captures if they are dead. I had at first given him credit for the quarter his chosen were on, but when we started packing up, we remembered my rallied shades who contested that, but then I remembered he should have gotten the quarter for the side his knights were on, so it cancels out and stays a draw.

This game was wild. Lots of maneuvering and baiting/fleeing and wild combats. I just couldn’t put a dent in those knights or really his chosen.

The cauldron and hatred in general were the MvP’s of the two games. Hatred played less of a part in game 2 where I was mired in multi-turn combats(in this case killing blow saved the day). But it saved the day in game 1.

Eternal warrior elite hatred and killing blow on my bg is really nice. Killing blow(by then hatred was no longer a factor) on my hydra is GREAT.

I really liked lifetaker, even if it was less effective in game 2.

And all in all, I really like having 2 rbt's. I know 2 hydras are deadly. And I know that overall it's far more powerful to have 2 hyrdas. However, you just can't discount what 2 rbt's can do. They are great at what they do. They've served me well in wiping out enemy fast cav units, lone characters and helping to pile on shooting into one unit to wear it down.

I just really like them.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Re: Couple of Dark Elf reports vs WoC. 2250pts. w/Pics!

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Nice report. I always like pictures.

Shimmergloom wrote:3. Lvl 2. Sorc
Dark elf steed(I just want to use this model). Lifetaker(I looked through the book and can find nothing in the brb or de book that would disallow her from taking lifetaker)

She certainly can use Lifetaker. Can't march and shoot though, even if she's in a unit of Dark Riders. Looks like you may have done that a couple of times.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Shimmergloom
Slave on the Altar

Post by Shimmergloom »

Thanks for your comments, it looks like I did march in turn 1 of the first game. I don't think I marched and shot it after that though.

I'll need to remember that for future games though.

Also, does anyone know if lifetaker is armor piercing like regular DE rxbows?
Thedemolishedman
Warrior

Post by Thedemolishedman »

No, it isn't AP.

:(
2009 - Bought: 1574, Painted: 698, Sold: 18
This year I will paint more than I buy.
Oh dear! This is not going well. Isn't the second number supposed to go up too?
Thedemolishedman
Warrior

Post by Thedemolishedman »

No, it isn't AP.

:(
2009 - Bought: 1574, Painted: 698, Sold: 18
This year I will paint more than I buy.
Oh dear! This is not going well. Isn't the second number supposed to go up too?
Slortor
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Slortor »

All its rules come under its entry in the magic items section. As it isnt explicitely mentioned as having armour piercing it doesnt :)
Name: Khalia D'Vaarko (meaning: Khalia, property of Vaarko)
Height/Weight: 5'6", 8 stone
Other: no distinguishing features, barring the brand of a great house left wrist.
Class: Mage
Equipment: Robes, Dagger, Staff
Skills: Power of Ulgu, Power of Chamon
Stats: Ws3, S3, T3, D4, I5

lrnec wrote: Reality and truth is more brutal than almost any fantasy game
Shimmergloom
Slave on the Altar

Post by Shimmergloom »

Any other thoughts on the battles and tactics?

Anything I can improve on?

I've only played a handful of games as dark elves overall, so need as much advice as possible.
Umpac
Warrior

Post by Umpac »

How you used your shades pretty ineffective imo. They are mainly a fire support unit, with BS 5 and often within close range their fire power really pack a punch, but instead of using them as harassing march blockers and fire support, you charge them into close combat.

Flanking the horsemen was a good idea, but a frontal charge is hardly in your favour with that gear. Instead you should've shot them, at close range and standing still you hit on 3+ , wound on 4+ and no save (I like those odds!) and you dont risk getting killed (move to 9" away if you are closer to get stand and shoot tho, its worth the -1 hit).

If you like using your shades in close combat, then at least equip them with great weapons. And as for sorceresses, you should always mount them imo....wait what? I mean you should always give them a mount. 18" move can save your ass, and 6+ save is pretty ok. Assuming you have the models ofc.
"A computer wont stop you from being an idiot, but it will make you a faster, better idiot."
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Just a thought for you. Stupid CoKs that stupidly wander into contact count as charging.

The familiar is great for extending the range of spells by 6 inches and letting you cast 360 degrees with a sorc hiding in a unit.

Overall I do like your setup. You warriors do seem a bit toothless though. I use a LOT of RXB with some success. They can sort out fast cavalary and snipe, as well as being available for flank charges (4+ save with HW and shield). Pearl on one of your sorceresses can help with the fear and terror tests, though remember to make her leave the unit if you want to flee.

Your shade setup dosen't match their usage, so swtich them out for RXB with shields or tart them up a bit with an additional weapon or great weapon.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Ozur
Trainee Warrior

Post by Ozur »

I would try some more flanking with harpies, shades and the DRs, to open up for flank/rear charges.

And remember you can move the Cauldron to keep the BSB in range of your fighting units.