Intersite battle, druchii turn 6

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

The golden arrow
Cold One Knight

Intersite battle, druchii turn 6

Post by The golden arrow »

Welcome to the intersite battle, where the most ruthless generals of druchii.net face up against the caring leaders of asrai.org. Everyone is allowed to contribute with their ideas and opinions and hopefully you can come up with the best plan to prevail in this battle.

This is a continuation from these threads:
Intersite battle, any interest?
Druchii turn one
Druchii turn two
Druchii turn three
Druchii turn four
Druchii turn five

Please read them for more information.

I'm a day later than usual, but you just have to bear with it.

Asrai turn:
The warhawks charge the dark riders, but as they sweep in the dark riders stand and shoot and kill two models! (extreme rolling again...). They are not (that) afraid though and continues the charge.

Moves:

Combat:
The warhawks kill two dark riders who kill one warhawk back. The last warhawks falls back a massive 15 inches leaving the dark rider dumbfooted. He rallies thanks to the hit and run special rule.

End Map:

The chariot passed it's stupidity test.
Last edited by The golden arrow on Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

Excellent! That went better than we could hope for.

The wardancers and that mage are out of our reach. So we'll have to try killing everything else we can. My suggestions (obvious though they may be):

Charges:
- Lord charges the Glade Guard. If they flee or are broken, they are destroyed completely. Else, we're likely to reduce them to below half strength. Worst case scenario is if the stand and shoot kills our lord, but we'll have a 2+ save.
- Chariot charges the BSB on eagle. It will probably hold, as fleeing would take it through our BG. If we charge with our BG, it will likely flee out of range, denying us victory points. So we have to hope the chariot can kill it.

Other moves: the BG should stay more or less put, in the flee path of the BSB should it flee or be broken. The mage should try to gain los to the lonely warhawk.

Likewise, the warriors mage should try to gain LOS to the wardancers, making sure it stays out of their charge range. Shades move closer to the warhawk and wardancers, ready to unleash a volley on either of them.

Dark riders should probably not charge, as the warhawk will likely flee out of range, and we probably have a better chance with their crossbow. They should stay stationary to negate their shooting modifier, so we hit on 4+.

Magic: pit of shades on the warhawk, creeping death on the wardancers. We need 5 kills to reduce them to below half strenght, so this is unlikely to happen. But we can try.

Depending on the results of the magic phase, the dark riders should shoot first. If by then the warhawk is dead, the shades should try to shoot the wardancers (if not out of range). If the warhawk is still alive, they should try to finish him off.

If creeping death on the wardancer has failed, they will never get the wardancers under half strength, but hey, they have nothing better to do if the warhawk is already dead.

Then there's nothing much left they can do. That'll be all. Not exactly hard, but with careful planning we might maximize our vp.
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

I would await the stupidity test but charge with both. Get the riders and shades gun down the last warhawks, Then try to creeping death the wardancers.

but the game is won for the Druchii.
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
The golden arrow
Cold One Knight

I forgot hit and run for the warhawks. Updated map with that and stupidity.
Cal'mihe
Dark Rider

Post by Cal'mihe »

Sadly if the BSB flees, then he'll use his flying movement for the flee, and will only be destroyed if he ends the movement in contact (or inside) the Black Guard (p66)
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

1. Dreadlord charges the GG, that's 100% (they can't even stand and shoot, as he's too close)
2. Both shades and DR stay stationary and shoot at the hawk

3. I haven't got it from GA's post whether or not the COC passed stupidity.
3.1. If yes, then charge the BSB with both the chariot and the BG. In this case, he will be caught by the COC if he flees, and destroyed in combat otherwise.
3.2. If no, then still charge in with BG. There is a small chance that the BSB won't rally.

4. Warriors wheel back 2.5" (turn back, wheel, turn around), so as to be out of the charge range of the wardacers. Sorceress casts creeping death on them on four dice (attention:: if the COC failed stupidity, and the BSB fled from BG, then the Creeping Death is instead cast on the BSB, if he is visible to the sorceress - e.g. on the hill). The second sorceress doesn't cast at all - there is no need to risk miscasts.
Niceas
Warrior

Post by Niceas »

Lakissov, if the BSB flees, do we EITW the Warhawk? Or would the charge angle result in us missing the hawk?
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

I think, we would miss the hawk
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

Lakissov wrote:I haven't got it from GA's post whether or not the COC passed stupidity.
3.1. If yes, then charge the BSB with both the chariot and the BG. In this case, he will be caught by the COC if he flees, and destroyed in combat otherwise.

I don't really get it. If he flees, he flees from the highest US, being the guards, Our chariot has a chance to catch it, but I don't rate it very high.

Also, we should shoot the dark riders first. However small the chance, our shades will have the opportunity to shoot something else should the dark riders kill it. This could possibly be the fleeing BSB.
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

@Thanatoz:
Draw a straight line throught the center of the BG unit and the center of the BSB model - this will be the BSB flee path. This path actually takes the BSB closer to the COC than his current position, if he flees 15 inches or less, and even if he flees 18", then he is most likely still within COC's 18" range (remember, the COC can pivot on the spot in his direction once during the charge, i.e. at the start, without expending movememnt for this)

As for the shooting, I do agree about the order.
Xerasi
Highborn

Post by Xerasi »

I'd run the DRs to take the upper right table quarter (and get them in short range), and run warriors down to take the lower left. or contest upper left. thats 200 extra vp.

rest as already mentioned
DoW 2/2.25k W-L-D: 22 - 4 - 3
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

I agree with Xerasi about running DR to the upper right quarter (into short range of hawks).

Moving the warriors the way I indicated (turn back, wheel 2.5" counterclockwise, turn back again) keeps them in the down left quarter, where they currently are, while keeping them away from the wardancers, and still allowing the sorceress to cast.
The golden arrow
Cold One Knight

Yes, the chariot passed it's stupidity test.
The golden arrow
Cold One Knight

Here's the last druchii turn.

Charges:
The chariot and black guards charge the asrai bsb who flees away 9 inches, getting smashed to pieces by the chariots schyted wheels.

Move map:

Magic:
The druchii sorceress tries to cast creeping death on the wardancer but her efforts are just stopped by the combined efforts of the asrai spellsinger and the magic of the wardancers talismanic tatoos.

Shooting:
The dark riders execute the last warhawk who dared to charge them.

Combat:
The dreadlord kills two of the brave asrai archers who do noting in return and break from the combat and flees off the board with the dreadlord on their trails.

There is really nothing the last asrai units can do in their turn so I'll simply skip it.

The victory points are as following:
Druchii: Killed 1964 + 3 Quarters = 2264

Asrai: Killed 972 + 1 Quarter = 1072

VP diff = 1192

That's it for the battle which ended in a major victory for the druchii. I've started a comments thread here and would very much like to hear your comments of the battle and how this could be improved in the future.
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

what about points for banners and generals? I remember the hydra ripping apart the banner of the wild riders in combat (100VP), and us killing the general (another 100VP). that would make the result a massacre...
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Good job guys. Although I did not participate, I followed along with interest.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Hurray for the captain of the druchii team!
Thanks Lakissov for the detailed explanations, which were a real lesson for general apprentices like me.

Thanks The Golden Arrow for the idea and for handling the battle.

Would you provide a link to the Asrai mirror forum of discussion for this battle, in case someone wanted to see the other side's reflexion, now that the game is over?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
The golden arrow
Cold One Knight

The hydra was broken in close combat so lost its banner and the spellsinger is the wood elf general so no bonuses for those.

Here is a link to the last turn for the asrai, just follow the links to the other threads.
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

Thanks for the link!
Right, my bad about those other VPs