DE cheese?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Spot the grot
Slave on the Altar

DE cheese?

Post by Spot the grot »

Are there any units in a DE army that are considered cheese? What size/gear should they be given?

I dunno if this is an example. But 20 shades with a BSB with banner of har graef. I saw this unit being used in my local GW , unfortunately i didn't get to see what happened to it. It sounds ok but it means your army lack dimension.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

That is an example. There are many others. That one is called the Shadestar. It does make your army lack dimension, in that it really has to do its job or you lose big. A lot of builds can;t cope with it, but a lot can too. The thing to do is to have a look through the Druchii Army Lists forum, see what goes on.

Probably the only two units that make people say, oh, for Christ's sake, would be Hydras, as they can cause and take quite a lot of damage, and Harpies because they can just completely wreck a guy's battle plan without harming yours. Also the price in both cases is pretty good.

Outside of that, everything has its strength and its weakness. Most have the strength of being cheap for what they can do, but the weakness of being relatively easy to kill before they do it. That being the main reason why people hate Harpies and Hydras so much - the Hydra because it can be so difficult to kill, and Harpies because you force your opponent to kill them instead of your expensive squishy elves. They are both great at making propositions that your opponent either legally or morally cannot refuse.

Another hated piece of cheese I suppose would be the assassin with rending stars and manbane, the old handful of cannonballs trick. Pops chariots and ruins thing for most big monsters.

For the record : the uber-units that you can create just don't really work for us. They usually cost too much, and tend to fail to be more dangerous than a well organised army. I recommend against them. If you want cheese, then you want a well organised Dark Elf army. We're faster, with more special rules and nasty tricks than just about anyone. Like I say, have a look through the army lists, and look especially at anything thats designed for a tournament.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Well, two other obvious pieces of cheese are:
- the "unkillable" BSB with PoK and full armour riding DS.
- the ASFed BG wearing RoH.
Hydras are known to be big pieces of cheese indeed, and so is the star/manbane assassin.
First time I heard about harpies being cheesy but I fully agree.
The dragon is, like in any army, a big cheese.

I concur also with Layne and emphasise with the following statement (with a French flavour):
Cheese is not meant ot be stared at, :shock: but to be eaten. When you eat a good cheese, it brings you the greatest pleasure! :P
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Starphoenix
Warrior

Post by Starphoenix »

You can't forget the Assassin turn 1 charge cheese. A unit of shades is deployed in woods, 10" away from an emeny unit. Turn 1 you reveal the assassin as part of the unit, but 1" closer to the enemy - before charges are declared and in charge range. Total cheese - but funny if you do it once in a friendly game. Cheese can be fun to play with friends, but don't pull it on people you don't know, or new players.

I also once heard someone equip this assassin with the cloak of twilight, so after he had used the assassin to charge a unit for the shades, he flew the assassin elsewhere to march-block and rending star havoc - supercheese!
"You can sleep when you're dead."
Malus monolith
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Malus monolith »

I didn't know you could do this:

Turn 1 you reveal the assassin as part of the unit, but 1" closer to the enemy - before charges are declared and in charge range.

And isn't this 12":

A unit of shades is deployed in woods, 10" away from an emeny unit.

I thought we have to deploy scouts 12" away from enemy units and no LOS from the enemy.
"Toys Addict"
Desert icon
Assassin

Post by Desert icon »

Malus Monolith wrote:I didn't know you could do this:

Turn 1 you reveal the assassin as part of the unit, but 1" closer to the enemy - before charges are declared and in charge range.

Yep, perfectly valid and legal tactic. It's even mentioned in the Warhammer FAQ and Errata part 2. It basically allows you to get a first-turn charge! Very sneaky, especially when you hit the rear of a unit with great-weapon wielding Shades.

Malus Monolith wrote:I thought we have to deploy scouts 12" away from enemy units and no LOS from the enemy.

No, to deploy scouts in their scout capacity you have to be at least 10" away, and no enemy can have line of sight to you. You must also be in or behind a terrain feature.