Microtournament report

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Sweeping death
Shade

Microtournament report

Post by Sweeping death »

Greetings fellow Druchii,
we played a small tournament (10 players) last weekend and I´d just like to post a short report and some thoughts.

It was 2000 points, normal armylists and special characters allowed.
Armies were: 1 DE, 1 HE, 1 Dwarfs, 2 Lizzardmen, 2 WoC, 3 Orcs

I played DE with the following (roughly) list:

Dreadlord w. Steed, HA, shield, SDC, Pedant of Kaeleth, Deathpiercer, Gem of Nightmares
Sorc. lv. 2 w. ColdOne, Dark Star Cloak, Dispell Scroll
Sorc. lv. 2 w. Tome of Furion, Dispell Scroll

15 Spears FC
15 Spears FC
11 Crossbowmen + mus, guardmaster
5 DR + rxb, mus
5 Harpies
5 Harpies

5 Shades + gw
15 Black Guard + FC
7 COK + FC

2 RBT

I know it´s not the "best", "optimised" list, but first, I don´t like the idea that only certain types of armies are competitive, and second, the list uses the models available to me. Also, the whole idea of actually having to justify why a non-cheesy, non-powergaming list is taken seems absurd in the first place.

Anyway, my personal and humble reflections on that particularly list are:

I always take a fighty general on horse, for the Ld for COKs and Sorc. on CO, as well as for mobile close combat support.
My personal experience with DE magic is that it IS possible to run a competitive army that is neither heavy magic, nor without any magic. The 2 lv. 2 generate 7PD + eventual Power of Darkness spells and they adequately protect the army against enemy magic. The one with cold one is because games workshop made her so...
No assassin, as I preferred to use the points otherwise. To kit him in a way to be really effective and survive it´s just too many points, IMHO.
No Ring of Hotek, as I find it difficult to conciliate it with my own use of magic. 2 scrolls and 4 DD should be enough to weather the first turns against heavy magic lists. And casualties are expected...

The 2 blocs of Spears are cheap deploymet slots, diverters, sorc. bunkers and sacrificial units (I usually just run with them out of the table to not give the points for the standarts). Additionally, if the enemy ignores them, they are actually a decent threat for flank attacks, with SCR of 3-4+
Harpies and DRs are self-explanatory.
Crossbowmen are there to protect the warmachines against enemy light troops, kill some ranks and mostly to kill HE.
Black Guard are also obvious. I don´t take the ASF banner, as I see it as my duty as general to get the charge with them myself! Except against HE, the BG should be able to always attack first anyway, with their high movement and initiative.
COKs are 7 because I have the models... It also gives them some resilience against enemy fire and magic and helps autobreak.
RBT are there for monsters, heavy cav, fast cav, lone characters etc.

I find the list quite balanced and flexible, being able to adapt to most kinds of enemies. The general approach is to have rxb and spears w. sorcs in the centre,shooting and baiting the enemy to advance, retreating if needed, while COK and BG envelope the enemy in the flanks with the help of harpies and DR.

Anyway, to the battles:
Sweeping death
Shade

Post by Sweeping death »

First battle was against Lizzardmen. The report is based on memory, so ther can be parts missing.

His army was roughly:

Slann with stuff (at least a 2+ ward save against long range attacks)
lv. 2 Skink priest
Sauros hero on CO (with the saurus)
Sauros hero on CO (w. saurus)

2 blocs of 15-20 Saurus, one with lances, the other w. hd wp and shield
2 x 10 Skinks w. blowpipes
2 x 10 Skinks w. javelins
2 x 5 chameleons
3 x Salamanders

Terrain:
Terrain had one hill on my left table edge and one in his right table edge. Centre-left was a pyramid (blocking part of LOS from the hills), centre-right to his side a forest and on my extreme right a piece w. water....
He won the dice to choose sides and gave me the side w. the water.

Deploy:
Lizzards deployed centrally, the 2 blocs of saurus supported and covered by the 4 skink groups. The Slann stood alone, visible to all shooters... Salamaders started behind the forest.
My troops from my left to right were: Harpies and DR behind the pyramid, COK on centre-left (w. pyramid to their left flank), Spears w. Sorc. BG, Spears w. Sorc., rxb, harpies behind rxb.
I put my shades besides the pyramid, where he had no LOS and then I learnt that chameleons can deploy inside the water feature. So I had a group of chameleon almost directly behind my harpies and rxb. His other chamelons went on top of the pyramid to his side.
Lizzards had heavens magic on priest and death on Slann. DE took Dark Magic w. both sorc.

Turn 1:
Lizzards won first turn. He moved the chameleons up behind my harpies and rxb. Moved other chameleons forward to target the shades. Moved the lone Slann forward in the centre of the table. Lizzards then cast a spell on the rxb which reduces their Ld by 3. DE fail to dispell on 4 dice. Lizzards cast magic missile on rxb and kill more than 25%. They fail their panic, run through the harpies directly towards the chameleons and are killed. Harpies fail their panic and are also destroyed by chameleons. Ouch! Chameleons on pyramid kill some shades w. shooting.

DE charge chameleons on pyramid w. remaining shades. Move DRs and Harpies on the left side of the pyramid to outflank. Move COK forward to start threatening the left side. Moved rightmost Spearmen and sorc to face chameleons. Lizzards use cube of darkness to dispell DE magic (think it was bladewind on Chameleons). Shot RBTs on Slann and leart about the 2+ ward save... no wounds. Shades kill some chameleons, win combat, but are outrunned and end up on the other side of the pyramid, in range of skinks w. javelins.

Turn 2:
No Lizzardmen charge. Chameleons don´t rally and keep running. Move Slann out of charge range of COK and my lord. Move right chameleons towards my RBTs. Move Salamanders through forest towards my lines. Move skinks forward in range to fire at COKs. Saurus blocs are manouvered to anticipate charges. Magic kills some spearmen. Is otherwise dispelled or irrelevant. Shooting kills shades, kills a COK, doesn´t harm the RBT.

COK charge skink screen at his front, thinking on killing them and than overrun into the Saurus. Harpies charge fleeing chameleons, who flee off the table. DRs move to shoot at Skink Priest. 2 Spearmen w. sorcs. and BG move forward to put pressure on skinks and salamanders. Magic manages to get a chillwind through on the salamanders, making it unable to shoot. DE also kill some skink screen. Both RBT´s fire at chameleons, killing some. But they hold their panic. DRs put a wound on Skink priest. COK wipe out skinks and pusue, but don´t overrun into Saurus bloc.
Last edited by Sweeping death on Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweeping death
Shade

Post by Sweeping death »

Turn 3:
Saurus charge COK with lord, who flee (which was to prove my doom later), Skinks move to get in shooting range of fleeing COK, Spearmen and BG. Skink Priest trys to move out of DRs threat. Magic and shooting cause some minor casualties, but manage to kill 2 more COKs (%¨# poison... and so much for 2+ saves) and, most importantly, get again the -3 Ld magic on them and lord, w. irresistible force.

BG charges Salamanders. COK w. Lord fail rally test. Spearmen retreat 2.5 inches to keep magicking. DRs move to fire at Skink Priest and keep threat on left flank. Magic kill some more skinks, I think at least 2 of the 4 units are already gone. Shooting kills remaining chameleons and skink priest. BG kills 1 salamander and wounds another, takes 2 casualties and win combat. Again the reptilian and amphibian enemies outrun the elves and are not caught.

Turn 4.
Lizzard shift around and move remaining Skinks to keep shooting. Salamanders fail to rally and keep running. Magic and shooting reduce the fleeing COK to Lord and 1 model...

DRs charge Slann. COKs w. Lord are reduced, can not rally and flee of the table, through one RBT (just realized it had not enough US to cause a panic test. anyway, it passed the wrong panic test) BG moves forward to get into charge range of Salamanders. Spearmen shift around, retreat to keep magicking. Harpies move behind the Saurus to march block them. DRs cause 2 wounds on Slann and loose 1 in return. Slann holds.

Turn 5
Remaining skinks with javelins charge rear of DR combat. Salamanders rally. Saurus advance a little. Slann gets drain life off. It kills 1 further DR and 3-4 harpies, causing the to flee off the table. Kills some BG too. No shooting. Skinks kill other DRs in close combat and break/kill them.

BG charges Salamanders. Spearmen shift around for LOS. Magic kills the few remaining skinks and some of the javalin guys. RBTs try to get that 1 wound off the Slann in order to get 50% of his points, but everything is ward saved. BG kill more Salamanders, break them and this time kills them in pursuit.

Turn 6
No relevant moves at the Lizzard side. I think they move to get table quarters etc. Possible miscast of the Slann here.

Equally irrelevant final movements from DEs, again magic and shooting everything against the Slann, but nothing comes through the ward save (I should have got at least one wound statistically).

End:
Lizzardmen win with roughly 400 points of advantage.
Sweeping death
Shade

Post by Sweeping death »

I misjudged this Lizzard army, thinking that it was close combat oriented, and so wanted to maximize shooting and magic before getting close, which was a mistake.
Also, the cameleons really surprised me and basically destroyed my right flank on turn 1, whilst forcing me to waste precious RBT shots on them. And I must say that I´m becoming really annoyed by Skinks and their poisonous weapons..., the little buggers simply don´t dye and don´t break except in close combat.

The biggest problem though, and which has cost me the draw, was the COKs w. Lord being unable to rally and flee of the table. Normally I don´t use the lord inside a unit, charging with him ALONG the units, not inside them... With the Pendant, I normally feel relatively secure in having him moving around on his own and use his superior charge range to, for example, charge lone characters such as the Slann etc.

Still, the battle had many "ifs" that could have at least resulted in a draw for me, such as the Slann taking that 1 more wound to bring him under 50% or even my first overun with the COKs after breaking the skinks. Had they overrun into the Saurus, they would have fought next round as if having charged. Instead, I was forced to flee from their charge.

In general, Lizzardmen is an army with which I´m having a lot of trouble. And after this tournament and facing other armies, my analysis is that Lizzardmen are very tough for DE because they effectively nullify or reduce our "classic" advantages. Against them I have trouble using our light manouver troops to their best, because they are so fragile against poison, magic and salamanders. Their magic is better than ours in most of the cases and shooting is wasted against cheap skirmisher screens that almost never break. Without the manouvre units, its difficult to get good positions for advantageous combined charges with our hammers, which, IMO, is THE single biggest strong point of DE.
Sweeping death
Shade

Post by Sweeping death »

Alright, to the next battle.

My second opponent is a pro-painter and modelist, but a relatively new gamer and came with the following Warriors of Chaos list (roughly):

Lv. 4 Mage (don´t know items)
Lv. 2 Mage
Exalted Hero

2 Blocks of 15 Warriors of Chaos
2 blocks of 5 Knights, one w. FC and banner that gives 5+ ward save
1 block of 10 Chosen

Terrain:
From left to right: Forest in SW quadrant, House in NW quadrant, close to forest, Hill in his NE deployment zone, Hill in my SE deployment zone, but more centrally. I won the roll for deployment and chose the side with the more central hill and closer to the forest.

Deployment:
WoC deployed, from my left to right: Knights, Chosen, Warriors, Knights, Warriors. All three heroes behind the troop lines (I thought he did for rear protection against flyers, fast cav etc. but it turned out just to be a newbie error)

DE deployed, from my left to right: Shades between House and forest, harpies in front of forest, BG some inches within my maximum deployment line and inclined to the centre, empty place, Spearmen, rxb with sorc. on foot, Spearmen touching the hill with sorc on Cold one, RBTs on hill, Harpies, DR on the right of the hill, COK, General behind the hill and within 12" of the Sorceress and the COK.

Chaos had Fire spells on lv. 4 and Death on lv. 2. DE got Word of Pain on both sorcs, which would prove very fortunate!

Turn 1:
WoC win the roll for turn 1 and begin by marchin everything forward in line with the infantry. No magic because of LOS etc.

DE passes stupidity. Left harpies move in front of Chaos Knights, DR move around the hill, diagonally facing towards the centre, COK move around the hill, diagonally facing towards centre, right harpies move in front/right of right Warriors. Magic and shooting didn´t kill a single enemy model!!! I was becoming a little nervous after that...

Turn 2:
Knights charge left harpies, who flee but are caught. That´s actually much better than a failed charge, as it puts his knights directly in charge range of my BG. Right Warrior charge harpies, who flee. Warriors fail their charge and move within range of COK and DRs. Rest of Chaos army moves threatenengly close to my lines. Magic is dispelled or otherwise insignificant.

DE: COK charge rightmost Warriors in the front, DRs charge their flank. BG charges left Knights front, Shades w. gw charge their flank. Lord on Steed charges right knights flank alone, in order to save my centre from their charge and buy some time. Harpies rally. I realize now that I made a rules mistake and flew them behind the Warriors in the same turn... my bad. Spearmen shuffle to get out of range of left warriors. Sorcs get out of Spearmen blocks to use magic. I get one Word of Pain on the charged Warrior block. Other magic is dispelled. Shooting kills his lv. 4 (that was really a newbie mistake to run around with his wizards like that with 2 RBTs on my hill.... I actually pointed that out to him, but alas...). Right warrior block (with word of pain) gets broken by COKs and DRs. COK overrun, but fall short of his exalted hero. BG and shades w. gw win combat against his charged left Knights, who break and flee through the Chosen. BG doesn´t get them on pursuit, but Chosen panic and fleet too! General kills 1 Knight, there are no return attacks. Still, outnumber, standart and mus prevails over 1 kill and flank and my Lord breaks on a 9 Ld test. He flees to the right flank and pursuing Knights run into the lv. 2 Sorc on foot...
Last edited by Sweeping death on Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweeping death
Shade

Post by Sweeping death »

Turn 3:

Exalted hero charges DRs flank, who flee and cause a failed charge of the hero, out of the COK´s LOS. Redirection causes Harpies to flee (who shoudn´t be there in the first place...) Left Knights fail to rally and continue running. Central Warriors move towards my lines into charge range to rxb. Chosen rally. Lone lv. 2 mage doesn´t anything relevant. In close combat, right knights kill my lv. 2 on foot and overrun, but dont´get to the fleeing general.

DE: Left Spearmen charge Warrior´s flank. General rallies, harpies rally, DRs rally. COk move wheeling towards centre to threaten the flanks of Chosen, fleeing left Knights and the rear of the Warriors that got charged by the Spearmen. DR move towards exalted hero. Shades move forward towards Chosen. With the lv. 2 on foot killed, DE magic is dispelled. Shooting gets 1 wound on exalted hero. Despite flank etc. Warriors easyly win combat against Spearment, but they hold.
Last edited by Sweeping death on Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweeping death
Shade

Post by Sweeping death »

Turn 4:

Exalted heroe doesn´t learn and charges DR again, who again flee and cause failed charge. As we played it wrongly (really my fault there, but I guess I was already tired) and I had moved the general and harpies, there wasn´t anything for the right knights to charge. Chosen charge shades, who, of course, flee and cause a failed charge. Fleeing left Knights finally rally. Warriors who won the previous turn against the Spears realign themselves to have the enemy at the front and kill several Spearmen. Spearmen brake and are run down, but this brings Warriors away from the rest of my line.

DE: COK charge lv. 2 chaos mage on foot (who was standing at the Chosen´s side), who flees. Try to overrun into the Chosen´s flank, but don´t have range and charge fails. DR rally and move to march block right knights, out of their LOS. BG retreats to keep optimal range to Chosen. Harpies move towards centre. General and mounted sorc move towards centre to threaten Chosen´s flanks and Warrior´s rear. Other block of Spearmen moved forward. Magic gets word of pain on something, but I totally ignored it later... Shooting finishes the Exalted Heroe off.

Turn 5:
Chosen move forward towards BG. Left Knights move towards COKs. Right Knights move to face the dancing DRs. Warriors reform to face COKs.

DE: COKs charge remaining left Knights. Harpies charge mage. BG charges Warrior´s flank. Shades rally. DR dance around right knights. Magic gets word of pain on Warriors. Shooting kills 1 Knight or 2. COK wipe out the 3 left Knights and overrun behind the Chosen. BG wins combat, breaks and catches Warriors w. word of pain. Chaos mage kills 2 Harpies and doesn´t get a single wound.

Turn 6:
Chosen charge again the shades, who again flee. This brings chosen out of charge range of the COKs. Right Knights move around again. Mage kills 1 harpie and agains doesn´t take a wound.

No charges possible. Shades rally. Magic and shooting kill a further Knight, bringing it under 50%, and some Chosen. Mage kills remaining Harpie.

End: Massacre for the DE, pointswise and + tablequarters, general killed and banners captured.
Sweeping death
Shade

Post by Sweeping death »

Analysis:
At first glance it was a textbook DE MSU battle, with lots of manouvering and baiting to get combined charges with COKs and BG against the enemies flanks and rears. Add to that Word of Pain and killing stranded enemy units with the RBT and it looks perfect.
But of course this only happened because my newbie opponent let it... and now that I realize that I probably made some mistake with the rallying + moving part, my glory from that battle isn´t that shiny anymore... :oops:

Still, I think that, more than anything else, the lack of any shooting units and any light manouvre units on the WoC´s side really played into my hands. Certainly a more experienced player would have used his magic better to do that part, but I must say that many gamers I see around underestimate the value of fast cavalry and similar stuff, focusing only on the hard stuff and magic.
Sweeping death
Shade

Post by Sweeping death »

My last battle was against our hated cousins of Ulthuan.

They had:

Teclis
Karaidron (? captain of the White Lions)

14 Swordmasters
15-20 White Lions
5 Dragon Princes
5 Phoenix Guard

15 Spearmen
15 Spearmen

2 RBT

Terrain:
This game was on the same table as my first one. I won the roll to choose sides and took the one near the forest.

Deployment:

High Elf deployment, from my left to right, was:
RBT on extreme left (on "island" feature), White Lions with Karaidron facing forest, Spearmen, Phoenixguard with Teclis, Dragon Princes, RBT, Swordmasters, Spearmen.

DE deployment was, from left to right:
Harpies and RBT behind forest, Spearmen with sorc on foot, rxb, Spearmen w. Sorc on CO, BG some " away from my maximum deployment line, Harpies behind Pyramid, General Lord behind Harpies and within 12" of Sorc and COKs, Shades besides Pyramid, DR, COK, RBT on Hill on extreme right.

Teclis took Shadow magic, I got a Black Horror and Bladewind and Doombolt (besides Chillwind).

Turn 1:
High Elves won the roll for first turn. Dragon Princes move 16" forward. Everybody else moves forward, but Phoenix Guard stay slightly behind the rest of the line. Teclis trys the magic that makes a unit move again, but DE scroll it. Several rxb die to further magic and shooting, but pass panic test.

DE move Harpies forward in front-right of Dragon Princes. It was my intention to force a charge diagonally to my right so as to have the DP with their flank facing the BG next turn. Shades move forward to get LOS to Swordmasters. DR move forward to get LOS to Swordmasters, COK move forward and wheel to face diagonally towards centre. General joins the BG. DE magic is dispelled with that scroll that makes you forget one spell on a 4+, which doesn´t happen. Shooting and other magic kills 3 Dragon Princes and some Swordmasters.

Turn 2:
Dragon Princes and right Spearmen charge Harpies. My intention was to flee and force the DP to wheel diagonally, but the general rules consensus was that the harpies, as skirmishers, don´t do the movement as shown in the rulebook (being wheeled to face the chargers, than move, than charges are directed to face the fleeing unit etc.), as the DP could reach one of the harpies by just moving forward. So I let them stay put to take the charge, knowing that the overrun would put the DP directly in contact w. my right spearmen w Sorc. But at leas in my turn I would get the BG to flank charge the DP than. Had I fled, the DP would have reached the Spearmen in their turn, resolving the charge immediatelly, before I could get the BG to support them.
The rest of the HE continue marching forward, but Swordmasters turn and move to face the flanking shades, DRs and COK.
Magic again trys to make the Swordmasters move, which I let happen. Other magic is insignificant (something may have happen here, but I don´t remember and it didn´t really affect the game). Shooting kills further rxb, reducing them to 3-4. Harpies are of course destroyed, DP overrun into the Spearmen with Sorc. Spearmen hold.

DE: BG with my general charge the flank of the remaining DP. Left harpies fly to march-block White Lions and left Spearmen, as well as to threat left-most RBT. Shades move up the Pyramid to get out of range and arc of the Swordmasters. DR move to the flank of Swordmasters to march-block and shoot them, threat the Phoenixguard and the second RBT. COK move backwards to stay out of range of Swordmasters (whom I´ve learnt to respect after some bad experiences...). My left Spearmen move backwards to put some distance between them and advancing White Lions. Magic and shooting reduce Swordmasters to under 7 and kill some of the right Spearmen too. Dragon Princes strike first, putting a wound on the Sorceress and killing two Spearmen. The BG kills one and the DE win combat with ranks, outnumber, flanking etc. Dragon Princes brake and are caught by the BG, who runs to the left.
Sweeping death
Shade

Post by Sweeping death »

Turn 3:

HE: don´t have any charges. The march-blocked White Lions move forward, partially entering the forest. Left Spearmen turn to face Harpies and have the own RBTs in charge arc next turn. Swordmasters turn to face DRs. Phoenix Guard moves a little further and turns to keep LOS to Swordmasters and the right flank. Right Spearmen move into charge range. Magic makes the Swordmasters move again to charge the DRs, which I let through, fleeing with the DRs and causing a failed charge. The RBTs shoot at the harpies and probably rxb, killing one harpy and reducing the rxb to 2.

DE: Harpies charge left RBT. DR rally. BG reform to face right Spearmen. Left Spearmen retreat further 2.5 inches. Right Spearmen shuffle a little. General Lord leaves BG and joins the rith Spearmen to face HE Spearmen. Sorc on CO moves out of the Spearmen and stays behind the Pyramid, out of LOS to enemy RBTs and Teclis, but with LOS to enemy Spearment and White Lions. DRs move again to flank Swordmasters and keep the maximum possible charge and shooting threats, staying now directly in front of the Pyramid. COKs advance towards Swordmasters rear. Magic and shooting kill some White Lions, right Spearmen (now at 10) and Swordmasters. The Asurian "valour" rule keeps them from failing panic tests. Harpies fight the RBT crew, loosing one and killing one, but the enemy doesn´t brake.

Turn 4.

HE: White Lions charge my left RBT, which crew flees out of the table and causes a failed charge. Swordmasters move to face DRs. Left Spearmen manouvres, Phoenix Guard keeps facing the right flank with incoming COKs. Teclis leaves the Phoenix Guard. Right Spearmen wait for the charge. Teclis get the same good old moving magic on the Swordmasters with irresistible force. DRs can´t run this time and face their doom. Other magic is either dispelled, miscasted or otherwise not very significant. A COK and some BG get killed either by the remaining RBT or magic. DRs are slaughtered in close combat.

DE: COK charge Swordmasters flank, who flee towards the centre and BG, causing a failed charge of the COK in direction of the Phoenix Guard. BG charges the right Spearmen in the flank. General charges alone out of my Spearmen into the HE Spears in his front. Don´t know if shades had to run away for some reason this turn or if that happens next turn, but it happens. Oh yeah, they failed their panic test for seing the DRs getting destroyed.

My left Spearmen move further backwards away from White Lions, now touching the table edge. Sorc on foot leaves the sinking ship... out of those Spearmen and with LOS to the fleeing Swordmasters. The sorc on CO miscasts, causing herself a further wound, which kills her, and ending the magic phase. Shooting kills a RBT crew. HE Spearmen manage to cause a wound on my general, despite 2+ save and Pendant of Kaeleth... Still, they get slaughtered by BG, brake, flee and are caught by the BG, which is now running towards the right table edge! Harpies take another kill, but finish off the left RBT.
Last edited by Sweeping death on Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweeping death
Shade

Post by Sweeping death »

Turn 5:
HE: White Lions charge my left Spearmen, who flee off the table to not give away their standart and cause another failed charge. Remaining 4 Swordmasters rally. Phoenix Guard brace for impact against the COKs... Left Spearmen move around to control that quarter and threat the harpies.
I think that this turn Teclis got a miscast. Shooting wipes out the remaing rxb.

DE: COKs charge Phoenix Guard, who hold. Harpies charge the remaining RBT. Shades rally. BG turns and shifts a little. Right Spearmen move to get away from White Lions. My remaining Sorc on foot moves to get LOS to Teclis and gets Bladewind on him with 4 PD. Teclis mis-dispells with double 1s and gets tons of WS4 S4 attacks who outright kill him! (Yeah! One of the best moments of the tournament! I just hate that upstart wizardling!) No shooting. In COK, asf Phoenix Guard kills the COK champion. COKs kill only 1 PG in return (ward save...), win, but PG hold (they cause fear themselves and don´t auto-breake). Harpies kill off the lone RBT crewmen.

Turn 6:
HE: Nothing really happens in movement phase. Probably some BG are killed with magic. In Close Combat, the PG looses again and this time breaks and is killed by the COKs.

DE: No charges. Minor moves to try to get the last 3 Swordmasters destroyed. Magic and shooting kill only 2 though, the last doesn´t panic and the unit survives with the champion...

End:
Massacre for the true elves!
Sweeping death
Shade

Post by Sweeping death »

Analysis:

This game was far more balanced and could have gone entirely different, specially if the first magic on the DP had went off with irresistible force. Also, killing Teclis with Bladewind, passing through his magic defense, was a bit of a lucky turn. But a lucky turn that happens with you let a vulnerable lv. 4 mage alone outside any unit (he left the Phoenix Guard before it got charged by the COKs).

But in the end I think that the HE rellied too much on getting thos irresistible spells from Teclis. Like any heavy magic list, it´s vulnerable to miscasts and some bad rolls. Also, I think that shadow magic was not the best choice against DE. The reason he took it is, in my oppinion, a small obsession with that lore, as everybody was having troble with Mazamundi on a Stegadon and that HE player managed to destroy him before with pit of shades... Finally, I think that he should have focuse shooting and magic on killing my shades, DRs and, later, COKs. But that is of course more easyly said than done...

Otherwise I think that in this game my manouvering and target selection was the best of the 3 games, maybe because I already knew those HEs from a previous encounter.
Sweeping death
Shade

Post by Sweeping death »

In the end, the Lizzardmen player from the first battle won the tournament, with 2 victories and 1 draw. DEs came second, with 2 victories and 1 defeat. And Orcs came third, with 1 victory and 2 draws.

As a final analyses, I think that in the 2 games where I managed to impose my game of movement, baiting, magicking, shooting and combined charges, I got the victories. The loss was exactly against the dreaded lizzards, against which I don´t manage to adequatelly use my light units (in fear of the massive poisoned shooting) and also had the chameleons in my back and right flank. It´s also the one game that forced me to go with everything against the enemy, instead of having him coming to me and letting me envelope one of his flanks (as in the games against WoC and HEs).

It was great fun and I hope someone is patient enough to actually read this report :lol: as I´d like to have some feedback on the battles and the analyses.
Sweeping death
Shade

Post by Sweeping death »

Hi, got some pictures of the event and armies. Cheers!

http://paulocamossa.sites.uol.com.br/Wa ... 60709.html
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Sweeping death wrote:I hope someone is patient enough to actually read this report :lol: as I´d like to have some feedback on the battles and the analyses.
Bon dia, Sweeping death, obrigado. :)

Excellent report:
- clear and well summarised descriptions of all army lists.
- comprehensive description of each turn, again well shortened when it was not necessary to detail.
- compliments for your self-analysis at the end of each battle and at the end of the tourney, that is a model to follow.
- some funny comments (dancing DR! :lol: ) - wished there were more of them.

Compliments for your second place :D especially by beating the despised HE!

On pictures, it seems that the terrain was superb, and the winner's Lizzies seem very well painted as well. That was surely part of the pleasure of playing that tournament.

On your own army list, well, there not much to do to optimize it, actually.
Sure, a couple of banners could have been used (warbanner & AP banner on warriors). Sure you did not take any hydra, but with your style, do you need one?

As you mentioned rightly, your list is perfectly balanced:
- reasonably good magic
- very good shooting (21 rxb + 2 RBT)
- good static CR
- hard hitters (Lord, COK, shades, BG somehow)
- excellent mobility (DR, 2 harpies, shades, lord's steed)
... and you know how to exploit all this assets!

Thanks again for the report.
It takes a lot of time to write it, check the spelling, re-read it, correct it so that it becomes flawless as this one. Well done, your work is apreciated, mate.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Sweeping death
Shade

Post by Sweeping death »

Fala Calisson, obrigado for the commentaries and appreciation!

I´ve been reading battle reports from the days when I only dreamt about playing warhammer, maybe a decade or so, and it is my favorite part of all fansites (I like tactical discussion, fluff and galeries too, but a good BR can cover all three aspects together!).

So I decided it was time to contribute something too, and as the games were rather nice and I came fresh from the tourney I really actually did it :lol: But I must say that a BR needs pictures/maps to shine. We were all focused on actually playing the games and couldn´t take step by step pictures.

I totally agree about the importance of nice terrains and painted armies. For me, as much as I like the game per se, the visual part of the hobby is very important. Otherwise one could also simply play computer strategy games etc.

It´s still not all painted, but after every event we do, people have painted more of their stuff. By the way, we played a megabattle with 10.000 points of 100% painted armies and terrains! I´ve posted the link in the BR section too.

About the armylist, I´m thinking about some small changes (although I still like the list and agree with your analysis).
As you can see from some of the pictures of my Druchii, several of the miniatures are 4. edition and others are Mirliton DE. While I quite like these minis (particularly the mirliton ones), I find my army a little too "diverse" (also, those older minis are in a different colour scheme too) and I´ve decided to transform those different models into a Dogs of War army to have a second army to play demos.

So I´ll have to replenish my Druchii, which gives me the opportunity to buy new units. I´m pretty much decided on getting some Executioners and new COK. Other than that I don´t know yet. Also like the Manticore (just feels right for a DE general to ride one!) but we´ll see.

Cheers!