Morathi Builds?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Optimo
Slave (off the Altar)

Morathi Builds?

Post by Optimo »

Greetings,

I am strongly considering using Morathi for a 3000 point list. I am a little confused on what to equip her with. I am thinking of putting the staff with bound PoD. Other than this, I am clueless as to what else to put on her. They try and make her a combat character but I can't see how or why you would want to charge with her.

I was thinking about putting the darksword on her since it is cheaper than the lance and not even bothering with any of the enchanted items.

How do you kit out Morathi?

Thanks
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

I usually give her the dark sword, potion of strength and focus familiar/black staff depending on points.

I don't see any point on heartseeker... it's useless if she loses her mount, plus the dark sword can kill single attack mages in one hit if she gets the opportunity.

Potion is just there in case she has to fight someone with armour and becasue I usually don't use it in my list so this is a good opportunity.

Black staff is the best for her IMO becasue she knows all the spells, but if you don't have the poin ts, or fight a gunline, the focus familiar will work well.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I tried kitting her out a couple of times as a viable substitute for "combat mage" or "dragon mage"

It doesn't work. she's too expensive.

So to use her to her best ability I think you want to keep her as cheap and as spell-killy as possible forgetting the combat (despite her being pretty good at it for a mage)

With that comes
Darksword (cheaper, and you don't really want her in combat anyway)
Black Staff (She has 6 spells, even 6 dice + PoD + extra point to cast rolls won't be enough to cast more than 3 in a turn which would mean you're wasting her advantage over other level 4s)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

The times she becomes useful are those times when you want to fling a flying assassin at an enemy unit but you know they will just be challenged away from that mage... gives you an option to chuck her in the combat too, since she can single shot-kill mages with either of her weapons.

If you were gonna come up against Kairos, you'd give her the potion/sword combo too, just to see the look on your opponent's face if they failed a ward and you tell them kairos is dead.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

That's actually awesome idea.
Shame I don't build my lists against specific ones or my GT list would now see Morathi in it <.<

edit: Slann have 1 attack too >.>
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Shockwave
Highborn

Post by Shockwave »

Bare in mind that you can also use to Bladewind to clear out those Champions from units, which will help versus the Morathi and Mage fight.
I'd rather lose a closely fought game then have it all sown up in a couple of turns.

Strangely, been here longer than most of the Admin staff.......