How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

HELP me to improve the D.R.A.I.C.H. !

Post by Calisson »

Hi mates!

We all know that the D.R.A.I.C.H., as it is now, is too long.
Too many hyperlinks, most of them not so useful, resulting in a lengthy thread.

You can help me to improve that situation, in a very easy way, taking you a couple of hours:

- select anyone you like among the topics below, read the threads hyperlinked about the topic, copy/paste what you find interesting in a word document.
- then arrange the interesting information you've found in whatever order you like. You can add your own comments if you feel so.
- finally, create in the tactics forum a thread named "D.R.A.I.C.H. – my topic", and paste your topic inside.

That's all for you!

After that, I'll erase, from the D.R.A.I.C.H. Main Table of Contents, all the hyperlinks to that topic, and the result will be:
- a shorter D.R.A.I.C.H. Table of Contents
- a single thread much more interesting to read than the many previous threads, because it will be rid of the irrelevant posts
- a new proud participant to the D.R.A.I.C.H. project: you!

You need not to be a top player to do that, neither need you to be proficient in English (Word speller will do most of the job).

The only thing you need is a sense of collective duty, a feeling that you can pay back to D.net part of what you owe to this site.

Thanks.

Calisson
====================================================

Colour-code:
white: awaiting a volunteer
yellow: volunteer found
green: done!

Topics needing to be summarized

1. The units <= click there. 18 topics waiting to be summarized.

note that this post about units starts with 17 threads dealing with all kind of units. I suggest you to start with the "best setup" thread before you read the specialized threads.
In brackets: (number of threads to read – not including 17 threads about "all units"):

Spear warriors (4) EDIT: Skilgannon has made a great article there: Dark Elf Spears Tactica
Corsairs AHW (11)EDIT: Zardock is working on the AHW Corsair Tactica
Corsairs RHB (15) EDIT: I did it myself. Am I known to be a corsair or not? D.R.A.I.C.H. - The Handbow Corsair tactica.
Witch Elves (8) EDIT: taken care of => Here's your Help on How to... Witch Elves (quite long...)
Executioners (10)EDIT: Demetrius the Betrayer will tell us about them.
Black Guard (15)EDIT: Done! Never thought it would have been that long. D.R.A.I.C.H. - Black Guard FOR DUMMIES.
Cold One Knights (18) EDIT: see Bounce's D.R.A.I.C.H- Cold One Knights Summary
Cold One Chariot (4)Work done: D.R.A.I.C.H. – Chariots not dead! - Special & mounts.A long one, but it includes two entries.
Hydra (6)
Giant (2)
Shade Death Star (7) EDIT: Furgil (THE inventor of the concept himself!) did D.R.A.I.C.H. :: "Shady Business" - The Shade-Star
Shades (10)EDIT: Pfew! This one was long! Done. D.R.A.I.C.H. - Cool Shades in the woods
Dark Riders (8)
Dark Riders with shields (11) EDIT: nobody would do it, so I took care of this one.D.R.A.I.C.H. - Druchii medium cavalry. The DR with shields.
Harpies (9) A good summary is in Thanatoz' sig: Q: What do you think of xyz DE army? - A: Needs more harpies! - or Dalamar's: Universal comment to all army lists: More harpies wouldn't hurt.
Multi-crossbowmen (8)I've finished rewiewing them. D.R.A.I.C.H. - RXB men, the modest shooters
Reaper Bolt Thrower (7)Another shooty unit I did. D.R.A.I.C.H. - Druchii Naval Fire support: the RBT.

Dogs of War (6)

2. The Characters<= click there. 18 topics waiting to be summarized.

In brackets: (number of threads to read)

Shadowblade (5)
Assassin (17) EDIT: Thanatoz, again! Couldn't wait to see the result...D.R.A.I.C.H. - Murders in Rue Naggarond: Assassins! and ther it was!
Death Hag (4)Thanatoz's next article.
Crone Hellebron (1)
Cauldron of Blood (14) (including some threads in "Combining units" post) EDIT: a superb article by Thanatoz - have a look! D.R.A.I.C.H. - Bathing the Druchii way: Cauldron Of Blood
Battle Standard Bearer (15) EDIT: third great article by Thanatoz: D.R.A.I.C.H - Battle Standard Bearers
Magic objects (more than 28 threads)EDIT: Monumental acumplishment by BounceD.R.A.I.C.H.- Magic Weapons Summary
Malekith (4)
Malus Darkblade (1)
Lokhir Fellheart (4)I did this one. That took two evenings. D.R.A.I.C.H. - Lokhir Fellheart, a corsair hero.
Dreadlord & Master (14)Thanatoz volunteered.
Dragon (8)
Dragon mage EDIT: by Marauder Mitch 2
Manticore (8) EDIT: Thanatoz started with this one, and the result is outstanding! D.R.A.I.C.H. - The manticore
Master on Cold One or chariot (4)Work done: D.R.A.I.C.H. – Chariots not dead! - Special & mounts.A long one, but it includes two entries.
Footed master (3, er, no, 4)EDIT: Thanatoz keeps steadily: D.R.A.I.C.H. - Need a ride? The footed Master/Dreadlord
Morathi (4)
High Sorceress & Sorceress (32)

3. Transferred to this thread.
Last edited by Calisson on Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 57 times in total.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Cousteau
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Cousteau »

A huge task, but one definitely worth doing! I owe some wins to the D.R.A.I.C.H. and hopefully I can help soon. Which sections need help the most?
Why buy the slave when you can get the blood for free?
Join the Cult of Khaine today!
Morathi's great grandma
Slave (off the Altar)

instead of D.R.A.I.C.H. – my topic...

Post by Morathi's great grandma »

Calisson wrote:- finally, create in the tactics forum a thread named "D.R.A.I.C.H. – my topic", and paste your topic inside.

instead of "D.R.A.I.C.H. – my topic", why not post them here and then we can edit and comment on each other, then when everything is finished, post the finished work?

Cousteau wrote:A huge task, but one definitely worth doing! I owe some wins to the D.R.A.I.C.H. and hopefully I can help soon. Which sections need help the most?

Well, do the one you are most comfortable with, put it here, then we can edit, delete, add, discuss, as we progress, shall we?

For starters here is the summary of what I gathered about harpies:

5 or 6 harpies- poll/debate
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... viewresult

(feel free to copy,edit, and paste this as you see fit)

To best take advantage of harpies, it is put them in units of 6's and 5's depending on how you want to spread them, and how much you want to risk. (it is best to have 6+ if going against relatively "strong opponents" so at the very least they can finish the job, and smaller units 5 even if you are just using them as distractions, throwaways, etc. this allows your harpies to at least finish off their opponent)

Also, the reason for puting them in such small unit is because the are "sacrifical unit" and some find it better to put them in even smaller units of 1's and twos so that when used their losses won't be as great, however, it is best to at least have enough (5 or 6 depending on your opponent) to finish off the enemy.

For witch elves ALWAYS have a cauldrons of blood.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: instead of D.R.A.I.C.H. – my topic...

Post by Calisson »

Hey, thank you guys for your answers! :D
I was beginning to feel very lonely in front of that huge task, but the more we get involved, the quickier it will be done.

Cousteau wrote:Which sections need help the most?
all topics mentioned in my first post!

The most urgent and useful to write should be the "Know your enemy" threads.
I cannot summarize myself the antistrategies about the enemies I never meet, i.e. most of them. I could only take care decently about Dwarves, Empire, Bretonnians, High Elves and Gobs. Therefore, I am particularely eager to receive some help about all other races's antistrategies.

The second most useful summaries to make is everything about "The characters", which were not covered by the "Boot Camp" threads.

Please select any of the topics indicated, and let us know which one(s) you selected by posting an answer below.

morathi's great grandma wrote:instead of "D.R.A.I.C.H. – my topic", why not post them here and then we can edit and comment on each other, then when everything is finished, post the finished work?
- It would be extremely confusing to discuss several topics in the same thread. There must be instead one thread dedicated to each topic.
- Discussions have occurred already in the threads I reported. There is always room for further discussion, sure, but the real need is for a summary.

This is why I envision, for each topic mentioned in the first post, that a volunteer wrote a summary, from the discussions and from his own feeling. Of course, this summary would be open for debate and should be updated accordingly, but experience showed me that summaries attract not many comments.

morathi's great grandma wrote:For starters here is the summary of what I gathered about harpies
Your thread is one of the discussion threads, with a poll and discussion about the best size.

For a summary thread, you should have a look to all previous discussions about harpies (hyperlinked in the D.R.A.I.C.H.) and write a summary of all these threads - including your ideas, of course.
Ideally, this summary could include a presentation of different settings (simple for harpies, only the size varies, there is no other option), the merits of taking a single unit or more, for what uses, how to use them efficiently, what to avoid and why... If you don't include all these ideas in the first place, hopefully someone will answer your post with that and you will be able to update the first post.

I think that a new thread should be created, starting with your summary of all discussion threads about the topic. If further discussion is needed, fine, discussion can happen in that new thread, as long as the first post is updated with the result of the discussion, in order that only the first post has to be read in the future.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Furgil
Warrior

Post by Furgil »

Since I started the topic of the Shade Deathstar and I have a Built and tournament tested my version of the army, i figure I'm as good a person as anyone to comment on the various build-options and pros/cons.

I'll go ahead and summarize in a single article all the Shade-Star concepts.
- Aaron Chapman
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

To start off with I would be happy to do Cold One Knights!
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Furgil wrote:I'll go ahead and summarize in a single article all the Shade-Star concepts.
Bounce wrote:Cold One Knight Summary
This is only just started but it's getting late so will come back and add on more tomorrow.
Thanks both of you! :D

Bounce, I'll wait till you've finished your article, then I'll double-check and erase from the D.R.A.I.C.H. the newly obsolete references.

First feeling: the article would be more readable with some highlighted titles in colour or at least underlined. Don't hesitate to separate sub-topics with empty lines for clarity. Shorter sentences are easier to read, also.
I'm sure you intended to do that afterwards. Take your time, I'm sure that quality will be the result!

Second feeling, I see that you quote people mentioning the pros and cons of something.
It could be clearer to provide only a synthesis, such as:
"- some people like the unit this way because of such reason,
- others like it that opposite way because of that reason.
- My recommendation is, under such circumstances, to select this setting, and to take that setting otherwise."

Finally, I believe that quoting the authors of your copy/pastes is useful only when it is a really brilliant idea, or when it is someone authoritative known for his skill in the topic. (e.g. you don't need indeed to tell what comes from the Boot Camp threads, the reader is interested only in the result).
IMO, it would be enough to end your article with your
"thanks to {insert names here} which ideas were widely quoted in the article."
Doing so, people get the appreciation they deserve and the reader gains a more fluid reading.

Please take all above as a friendly first reading and comment, and feel free to disregard everithing and proceed with your own ideas, it's YOUR article, after all! ;)
Furgil
Warrior

Post by Furgil »

Shade-Star Tactics Completed:

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?p=762312
- Aaron Chapman
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Great job on the Shadestar topic Furgil.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

Calisson, I'll do some summary of the characters, starting next week, starting with mundane characters, then see how far I get. First up: manticore, I've been looking into threads like it for a while now.
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

After much thought I have updated my thread a bit, thanks for your comments Calisson, it now has some more pretty colours!

I reduced the amount of just random comments into a briefer summary of general opinion although it is difficult trying to keep track of everything as all the information in the previous threads is pretty scattered and there are some comments and Ideas that I can tell are simply never going to work however I have tried to include some different points of view on other topics as well.

Also I was having a look at statistics and particular combats I noticed that there is a lot of mention of this in the boot camp threads but I was wondering whether a Knight specific section on expected combat results would be useful or perhaps not so. One thing I have definitly realised is that Hatred is really annoying for calculating probabilities.

Anyway I hope its all looking the way you would like and will get some more of the tactics done tommorow!
ImageImageImage
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

WE, COK, Shade Death Star are done (possibly the first posts could still be edited with the comments in following posts).

No news from Cousteau nor from morathi's great grandma, nor from Thanatoz.

I'll go ahead and summarize... The RHB corsairs.
I've read the linked threads already. That unit isn't convincing many, I'll get a tough task explaining its uses.

All other topics still open for anyone who wants to get involved.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

But you've probably had more experience with it than anyone. Who better, then?
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

i will volunteer for dragon mage article. Will start next week.
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

RHB corsairs done.
A bit too long, but the presentation should allow readers to read titles and skip most paragraphs, and read only what they want.

After that, I reduced the lenght of the D.R.A.I.C.H. by removing all threads about RHB corsairs save this one.
Also, the "Boot Camp" series have been reduced to the last thread, which further points at the other threads of the series.
That is a nice 10 lines less in the D.R.A.I.C.H. or so, without loosing any useful information.

Is anyone inspired for another compilation?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

OK, some more reduction to the D.R.A.I.C.H.

First post of the D.R.A.I.C.H. (ToC) has been wholly reorganized. No more hyperlinks to threads full only of promises that never were filled up. No more colour-code. Easier to understand.

Second post much reduced, it had little use anyway except to explain what the D.R.A.I.C.H. was about (most of it has been transferred to a hyperlink that nobody needs to read anyway).

"The Units" has got a little bit slimmer. The Boot Camp has been (very slightly) updated with all the information from previous all-around threads, which are not there anymore, and there is only 1 Boot Camp thread directly available (which links to the other ones).
Of course, a single thread deals with RHB corsairs, WE, COK and shade Death Star

"The Characters" is still awfully long. Hopefully Thanatoz's work will allow me to reduce it.

The "Army lists" post has been reduced to a manageable size.

"Playing the game" is now divided in smaller parts, set in a logical order:
Generals, starting, psychology, movement, magic, missile, melee.
Could still improve but I'd like better to increase than to reduce these chapters.

Did not change "Knowing your enemy".

Overall, the vacation time has been more beneficial than I would have expeted.
Hopefully some D.netters will appreciate that work.
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

Reporting in. I've had some IRL things to deal with (changes changes), and still a lot of work ahead, but I'm getting there slowly. Appreciate the work, hope I can contribute.
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

I know there is already a magic weapons summary thread but would anyone mind if I re summarized it as it goes over 10 pages and its a bit hard to find what your looking for in what is otherwise a very important section of building army lists.
ImageImageImage
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Great! go ahead.
The work you've done with the COK was highly apreciated and I'm confident you will do a nice summary.

The summary thread was written one year ago before DE players got enough experience, so there will be added value by taking into account one year of practice.
Also, reading all threads mentioned in the D.R.A.I.C.H. and summarizing them into a single one is an excellent thing.
Finally, if you include something about combos, that would complete well the article.
Last edited by Calisson on Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

Manticore completed ==> http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=62934

Next up: master on foot (a little shorter). As you might have guessed: I work slowly but thoroughly, so don't hesitate to outsource some other topics to other volunteers.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

DR with shields done!
Not that I expect many people to rush and buy models...
But I suspected that nobody would take care of that one.
As a result, the D.R.A.I.C.H. main ToC is a few lines shorter.

Who's next? :D
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Calisson as I said in another thread, I'll be working on the AHW Corsair Tactica in my spare time, seeing as I am the one of the only members who uses them exclusively as my main melee unit, I'll happily spread the wisdom around.

So I've got some stuff written down at the moment but nothing solid, however Exams are in 4 weeks so after that I will have all the time in the world :D .
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
tmr
Executioner

Post by tmr »

I am still banging away at the Complementary material adding content as I see fit and checking links.

Calisson wrote:OK, some more reduction to the D.R.A.I.C.H.

First post of the D.R.A.I.C.H. (ToC) has been wholly reorganized. No more hyperlinks to threads full only of promises that never were filled up. No more colour-code. Easier to understand.

Second post much reduced, it had little use anyway except to explain what the D.R.A.I.C.H. was about (most of it has been transferred to a hyperlink that nobody needs to read anyway).

"The Units" has got a little bit slimmer. The Boot Camp has been (very slightly) updated with all the information from previous all-around threads, which are not there anymore, and there is only 1 Boot Camp thread directly available (which links to the other ones).
Of course, a single thread deals with RHB corsairs, WE, COK and shade Death Star

"The Characters" is still awfully long. Hopefully Thanatoz's work will allow me to reduce it.

The "Army lists" post has been reduced to a manageable size.

"Playing the game" is now divided in smaller parts, set in a logical order:
Generals, starting, psychology, movement, magic, missile, melee.
Could still improve but I'd like better to increase than to reduce these chapters.

Did not change "Knowing your enemy".

Overall, the vacation time has been more beneficial than I would have expeted.
Hopefully some D.netters will appreciate that work.
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

Footed master completed --> http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?p=770166#770166.

It were actually four threads instead of the advertised three. :P

Slowly but certainly. Next up cauldron and BSB.
As my own games are leaning towards the unkillable BSB testing, I think I'm going to cover that one first. Because it closely relates to the cauldron, that one is next.

Again, patience is a virtue.

I'm already going to say I won't do the special characters. I have no experience whatsoever with them, and probably will never field them (maybe Crone), so I won't bother because I cannot relate it to my own field experience, meaning the article will be theory only for me, and thus, useless.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Thanatoz wrote:Footed master completed
Thanks! :D
It were actually four threads instead of the advertised three.
The D.R.A.I.C.H. keeps expanding...
Or did I fluffed? Yeah, sometimes I misread 3 instead of 4 on a dice in some critical Ld roll

I cannot relate it to my own field experience, meaning the article will be theory only for me, and thus, useless.
Understood. It is already great to have you taking charge of all the "mundane" characters.

It is not necessarily useless to write about what you don't know: I made an article about Execs and another about Shielded-DR, about which I have no experience whatsoever, and some indulging people did express to have found an interest about them, while I never heard about the silent majority who did not daresay how terrible were the results.