On Harpies...

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

The skaerkrow
Noble

On Harpies...

Post by The skaerkrow »

I've never really run Harpies in my Dark Elf army, so I was wondering what the general consensus was on optimum unit sizes. The list that I'm working on currently features two units of 5, but I'm considering combining that into a single unit of 8 or 9. Does anyone have any insights on the peaks and pitfalls of either approach?
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

If you're going to do more than 5, you should go with 9. From 5-8 they need to take 2 casualties for a panic test. At 9-12 they need to take 3 casualties for a panic test. Personally, I run 2 units of 5 and have never been too disappointed in them. At 55 points for the unit, you can't really complain when they die.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

2 units of 5 does pretty much the job. Always use them for screening, rushing warmachines, killing small shooting unit, rushing flankers or even triggering fanatics.

They are just plain awesome.
And the server wrote:Internal Server Error
Badhatharry
Trainee Warrior

Post by Badhatharry »

The other night, a buddy showed me a trick that had me place a unit stretched out around a hill, one end was able to marchblock one of his units (my original intent), but the other end of the unit was directly behind an existing combat..
I won the combat, and when he broke, was gobbled by the harpies.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

2 units of 5 for me.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Tzelok
Beastmaster

Post by Tzelok »

2 units of five, never leave home without them. They are the best use of 110 points in my whole army.
Army Plog Below:
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=63015

Scratch Built Druchii Tower:
http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=67976&highlight=

The League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

2 Units of 5 for me a must. remeber when they were a 0-1 choice and how many armies didn't have them.

The are as ace as Ben Curry throwing a beer soaked sock in the road.
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
Lasthobbit
Executioner

Post by Lasthobbit »

As for me: 2*5 is a best solution. 110 pts for 2 flying scirmisher's units (core!) with 10 attacs each, possibility to marshblock, divert, scoring a quarters and so on... Perfect. Simply perfect.
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~
Gastronauticon
Beastmaster

Post by Gastronauticon »

Two times five, like anyone else...

I did consider two by six to maintain US 5 for longer but that really does not pay most of the time.
You have reached the Department of Circular Reasoning.

Please hold.
Niceas
Warrior

Post by Niceas »

Given how well mine have worked, contemplating 3x5 - but like everyone else, I'm running 2x5 atm
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Loki wrote:If you're going to do more than 5, you should go with 9. From 5-8 they need to take 2 casualties for a panic test. At 9-12 they need to take 3 casualties for a panic test. Personally, I run 2 units of 5 and have never been too disappointed in them. At 55 points for the unit, you can't really complain when they die.
Fully agree, except the max size is 10.
I run 2x5 as well, with great satisfaction. 3x5 is considered, if ever GW releases a new set of harpies.

5 or 9?
9 cover a wider area, and fight better (harpies, not having hatred nor armour, are one of our worst fighter).
5 are more expandable and may hide more easily, if required.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Thedemolishedman
Warrior

Post by Thedemolishedman »

2 x 5 - in any list. 3 x 5 for 2000+ pts.
2009 - Bought: 1574, Painted: 698, Sold: 18
This year I will paint more than I buy.
Oh dear! This is not going well. Isn't the second number supposed to go up too?
Lordmonkey
Corsair

Post by Lordmonkey »

2 x 5 here too. After baiting/distracting/dieing for the rest of the army, they can contribute weight of attacks in combat. Two of them ate an ushabti that was on it's last wound on turn 6, securing a nice chunk of Vp's :)
Darkangel16
Black Guard

Post by Darkangel16 »

Your probably getting bored of hearing this but 2x5

They always earn their points back, whether its forcing a warmachine to shoot them instead of expensive druchii, redirecting charge, or just securing a table quarter they really can never fail
The skaerkrow
Noble

Post by The skaerkrow »

Thanks for all of the replies, everyone. I'll definitely give two small units a try and see how that works out for me.
To the dark house, dwelling of Irkalla's god,
To the house which those who enter cannot leave,
On the road where travelling is one way only,
To the house where those who enter are deprived of light
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

2x5 is bare minimum.
Most I used was 7 units of 5 :D they rocked but the army lacked a bit of substance.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Bergerfett
Corsair

Post by Bergerfett »

i use 7 so that when i flank chaarge or even front charge a soft enemy im guarenteed 14 attacks if their at full strenght. altho im making a khainite list so they will change a bit.
Los manticores
Warrior

Post by Los manticores »

To show my age, and to quote the Album title from the Minutemen. "Double Nickles on the Dime". Just to flush Fanatics alone is worth 55 a unit.

PS: SK, i didn't get a chance to meet you at Buckeye, how did you fare?
Cheers,
Mike C
The skaerkrow
Noble

Post by The skaerkrow »

I ended up going 2-3 with two Major Wins, a Minor Loss and two Major Losses. Had two very, very tough games against Lizardmen and got matched up against a Daemons of Chaos list at the very end (Kevin Petit, who ended up coming in #4 Overall).

Ryan Matthias and I ended up playing out one of the most epic games of Warhammer ever (which turned out to be a minor loss for me).

I heard no cheers of Frodo, how did you do?
To the dark house, dwelling of Irkalla's god,
To the house which those who enter cannot leave,
On the road where travelling is one way only,
To the house where those who enter are deprived of light
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Normally I field the seven that I have. I will be trying out 2 units of 5 as they seem to work reasonably well.
Los manticores
Warrior

Post by Los manticores »

The SkaerKrow wrote:I ended up going 2-3 with two Major Wins, a Minor Loss and two Major Losses. Had two very, very tough games against Lizardmen and got matched up against a Daemons of Chaos list at the very end (Kevin Petit, who ended up coming in #4 Overall).

Ryan Matthias and I ended up playing out one of the most epic games of Warhammer ever (which turned out to be a minor loss for me).

I heard no cheers of Frodo, how did you do?

The Exact Same as you. 2 big wins, 2 big losses and 1 minor loss. I'll see Ryan on Wednesday if not I'll see him on Saturday during my Warhammer Cookout. I'll have to ask him about your game. I did learn one thing though. If it's "Gateway" for the win, then it's certainly stupidity for the loss. Hello CoK's.
Cheers,
Mike C
Willowdark
Shade

Post by Willowdark »

Warhammer cookout... mmmm.... :)

On topic. It seems to me that if you have room for 2 you should make room for a 3rd. For 55 points there are so many uses that I want as many as I can to be sure that the job gets done.

2 x 5 seem like they die very quickly.
Representing The Battle Glade, whether they like it or not.

In the Winter,
The long and hallow eaves of the Willow
Dance like the shadows of Loec.
The skaerkrow
Noble

Post by The skaerkrow »

Los Manticores wrote:The Exact Same as you. 2 big wins, 2 big losses and 1 minor loss. I'll see Ryan on Wednesday if not I'll see him on Saturday during my Warhammer Cookout. I'll have to ask him about your game. I did learn one thing though. If it's "Gateway" for the win, then it's certainly stupidity for the loss. Hello CoK's.
I didn't have the "pleasure" of facing any Gateway lists, though I'm told that there were at least two WoC lists at the event built around that spell. Stupidity is why my 14 Cold One Knights from 6th Edition have thus far gone unpainted. Every proxy game that I'd run them in saw them either torn apart by Arcane Bodkins or succumbing to Stupidity at all of the wrong moments. At least the Chariots have Toughness 5 to fall back on when they get charged.

Makes me slightly nervous about running an army that includes two units of CoKs, but I have a friend that absolutey swears by them.

I wouldn't be opposed to running three Harpy flocks at some point (I ran three units of Dark Riders for quite a while), but as I don't know the unit, I want to get a feel for them before I throw more into the list (and purchase more models!).
Tyzaronius
Slave on the Altar

Post by Tyzaronius »

Small units seems the go I guess...
and say the magic words "Simsalabim-bam-baa Saladu Saladim"
The real Me! No, really!

My Game Store
tmr
Executioner

Post by tmr »

take a look at the gamezone harpies... I have 8 and plan to buy more... love them and they look fantastic...

Calisson wrote:
Loki wrote: if ever GW releases a new set of harpies.