The 7th ed. Cult of Slaanesh project - Closed

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Weenth
Black Guard

The 7th ed. Cult of Slaanesh project - Closed

Post by Weenth »

Final Update[What I'm posting here is edit of my last post, just so that the info is on the start of the thread too.]

As Warhammer is at 8th ed. now I think you can considered 7th ed CoS list Project closed.

What you can find in the link a bit below is playable and balanced 7th ed list with full rules for fielding Cult of Slaanesh. The only drawback It's got a bit fewer Special Characters than current books, though IMO that's a minor one, as there are still six entries included, even seven if you add N'Kari (whose rules are complete, though not playtested and can be found here: http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... c&start=37 ).

Still, I don't think there's many people who still play 7th ed, and have no idea if any of them is interested in using this list. I also haven't played a single game of 8th edition and have no idea how the list performes or if it's still balanced in the context of the new ruleset. Seeing how official 7th ed books balance suffered from the edition change I suspect CoS would also need at least a few tweaks and maybe even some big changes. There won't be more than there is, at least from me, as I'm practically out of WH now. However, if anyone is interested in making 8th ed CoS list, feel free to use this one as a base. :)

I also would like to thank here all the people who helped with this project either by giving ideas, comments or simply by encouraging and giving a good word. ;) My special thanks go to Kyrel and MartialArtist, who both had considerable influence on the list.

I know I've had good time both creating and using 7th ed CoS list and I hope so did at least some of you. :)

May the Pleasure be with you. ;)
Weenth

I'm happy to announce that 7th ed CoS list is finally at beta-level and ready for playtesting. :) You can download the file here: 7th ed CoS Army List (version 0.967)

Of course now there are people needed to try this thing out and it just might be you. ;) Please post any comments, impressions, lists you create or battle reports in this topic: Cult of Slaanesh - Playtesting Feedback.

Looking forward to your posts, all input is appreciated. :)

The list itself is almost ready, but to have full Army Book we need still:

1. Suitable art - click here

2. Photos of Cult of Slaanesh miniatures - click here

3. Background material (Cult history, description of important places and of army list entries) - click here

4.Some short fluffy stories wouldn't also hurt ;) - I haven't created topic for those yet, will do that as soon as some volunteers. If you can't wait use this temporary topic - click here ;)

If you'd like to help in one of these areas simply click on one of the links and post there. :)

Hi to all of you! :)
As some of you probably remember, in summer there was idea of remaking Cult of Slaanesh for 7th ed. Those who liked the list will be happy to know, that the project is alive and kicking. ;) So, here’s a short overview of what we’re aiming for, what’s done so far and how can you contribute, should you wish so. :)

I. The Great Plan(tm) ;)

What we would like to ultimately achieve is a full-blown unofficial army-book, or probably even more, consisting of:

1. Armylist itself – updated to keep in line with new rules of DE, DoC and WoC, also including some new elements (Effigy of Excess – a kind of Slaaneshi altar, Devoted upgrade for a hero, CoS-specific Special Characters). Since there are different preferences to inclusion of Chaos Mortals in the list, the list will be made in a way enabling each player creation of playable force with numerous Marauders (SoC-time army), without any Chaos Mortals (post-Flesh&Blood army), as well as other builds. We also want the final list to be a balanced one (about power-level of DE), ensuring easier opponent’s permission to use it.

2. Army background – combining original Cult fluff from SoC with 7th ed Cytharai cults background, as well as events of Flesh & Blood campaing (DE Civil War campaign created here on druchii.net; check here for details). We want to include bestiary section, history, contemporary situation background with map, etc. – just like all official ABs have. We’d also want to include short stories, like the ones in previous edtions’ armybooks, to give more flavour to the background.

3. Art has always been an important part of Warhammer, so we want pictures and paintings to adorn the final document, ilustrate bestiary entries, etc., also including photos of miniatures – single one showcases as well as whole armies – converted and painted to represent Cult’s army.

4. Additional material – going beyond regular army book, including:

a) Cult of Slaanesh campaign material – following history of a family devoted to the Cult, providing both an interesting story to play out as campaign and also varied scenarios than could be used on their own at the same time.

b) Dark Elf Dogs of War – so infamous Mengil’s Manhide Flayers updated for 7th ed and other DE hired swords (such as Renegade Sorcerers), useable not just for druchii, but also for those, who play other armies, but would like some darkelfy twist in them.

c) Cult’s Tactics, Sample Armies and Battle Reports – To provide in-depth view on the list, its weaknesses and strengths, as well as a chance to see it in action before you’ll take charge of the army yourself.

d) Optional rules – with sheer quantity of rules ideas we have now (and it'll probably grow even more before the final list :roll: ) it’s clear that there’s no way of including them all; still, since It’d be a waste to leave them out, they’ll be listed here for you to pick whichever ones you like.

II. What’s done so far?

Ok, so now you know the plan, which as you can see is an ambitious one, and will require many people to be executed in full (hint ;) ). I’ll go to a short overview of what we’ve done so far and specific CoS project threads (in the Ideas forum, here on Druchii.net):

1. Rewrite discussion- the initial thread of the project, lots of different ideas there. In time the number of topics discussed there made the discussion hard, so we decided to create specific threads for them;

2. What way should the project go? was the first one, though not much discussion there. This topic was continued in: What's the vision? and as you can see there, we’ve come up with an idea of what more-or-less we want to achive;

3. The vision topic overlapped with ideas for background, which were also discussed here: General Background issues;

4. Right now the main discussion concentrates on: Army list entries (rules) where we’re discussing army entries on a one-by-one basis to come up with the list (beta version, as after broader playtesting there may yet be some changes). The Magic Items & Chaos Giftsare of course nesseccary for that, though the discussion in this thread is paused until we finish the entries;

5. Seeing how in 7th ed Special Characters became regular part of the list (and despite attidute differences to using SC, among us as well as players in general ;) ) we have come up with a couple of new Special Characters, as well as ideas of what existing SCs (like Morathi) could be included and in what form. There is still a place for a couple more new characters though. :)

6. As for campaign material, obviously we’ll have to finish the list and work out Cult’s background more before we get into details, but we've already stared throwing loose ideas for it here: Campaign Supplement;

7. The Fluff Stuff (Stories, Pictures etc.)department is where we’re least advanced; only a couple of stories and a single picture as of now. If you want to show photos of your CoS army miniatures, some art and/or text devoted to the Cult, that’s the best place to do it. ;)

8. The last topic deals with the Technical issues (copyright, IP etc.); as you can see there, we’ve got the hang of what’s probably possible in that respect and decided to leave it at that ATM;

III. How can you contribute?

Now, that’s an important one. ;) If you wish to become a regular participiant in some part of the project simply join us in the appropriate thread. The size of team that can effectively work on a single aspect is of course limited, but there is still place for someone who’d like to join us in rules designing and both background and stories&art sections will surely benefit from some fresh blood. ;)

We’ll also need possibly large number of people willing to participate in playtesting the list when we get to that stage.

And lastly, even if you don’t have time to involve as a regular participiant, your input is still valuable to us. So if you want to contribute just a single idea, have any comments on the works or simply want to share your memories of the 6th ed CoS list, feel free to do so in this topic. :)

Update: You can also help by voting in our polls - you can find the active ones on the first page of Druchii Discussion forum. The more votes the more representative opinions we'll get, so each vote counts. :)
Last edited by Weenth on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

Well, it is certainly splendid initiative. I wholeheartedly support it.

Stickied.
Druchii Discussion moderator.
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

It would be fun to try with opponent's permission, like the old Temple of Khaine list. This will be interesting to watch develop, if nothing else. :)
Sezax
Black Guard

Post by Sezax »

I would like to help.
Kyrel
Executioner

Post by Kyrel »

Sezax. Drop by the Ideas forum and join in the discussions if you'd like to participate.

/Kyrel
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

could we have links to each of the different sections please? I notice theyre floating about in the ideas forum but a comprehensive list (much like Calisson's D.R.A.I.C.H. project)

As soon as I get more time I'd really like to help you fellas as this is an excellent sounding project! :D I've always been a massive cult fan and whole heatedly support any progress to further diversify our fluff and rules: great work guys! :D:D:D

- Beanz
Oliver the anointed
Slave on the Altar

Post by Oliver the anointed »

Is it possible to make this official?
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Unfortunatly no, there's practically zero chance that GW would like to make Cult of Slaanesh list official (well, unless in 8th or 9th ed they change DE fluff again... :roll: though I think even then they'd rather invent their own rules than take these. ).

The best we can wish for is getting this list aprooved by some of the tournaments despit it's unofficial status (the Chaos Dwarfs example shows that such 'unofficial-tournament legal list' solution is possible).

The good part is, as long as you play friendly games rather than tournaments, it's only yours friends permission that you need. ;) And unless your friends deny using unofficial rules in general, you shouldn't have problem with getting their aprooval for using CoS list.

It's not any kind of super-hiper-duper-cheesy list. Our aim was to create something that will be comparable in power to regular DE; actually, even a bit weaker, considering things like cheap hydra that DE have. I think it has been achieved, so most opponents should be ok with using it in friendly games.
(BTW if anyone feels different about it, please post your reasons and comments - they'd be appretiated and will surely help in polishing out the list and correcting it, should it be needed. ;) )
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

The Beta-version is now ready for playtesting. See first post of this topic for details.
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

First update (v.0.91)

- corrected costs of Dechala & Effigy of Excess
- some tidying out in the layout
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

i'll go through it all at a later date but one quick point

Power of darkness is not supposed to be 12+ to cast right?
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

No, of course not... that's just the effect of limited time for typo-searching. ;)
Thanks for noticing Voodoomaster, already fixed it.

I also made a quick search for some other typos and indeed another one needing correction was Black Horror's cost (the one in table was right, but down the page in description was wrong one), there were also some places where I forgot to change 'Dark Elf/Warriors of Chaos' to 'Cult' in magic items description. :roll:

A quick not while we're at that - all three magic lores as well as almost all magic items/chaos gifts that are taken from existing 7th ed armybooks (DE/WoC/DoC) are, by intention, exactly the same in CoS. Other than already mentioned text changes in items to suit the name of the army, the only modified item should be Pendant of Khaeleth. So if you spot any other differences in item/spell descriptions, please let me know so I can correct them.
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Fingol23
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Fingol23 »

I should have a playtest game on thursday and depending on what people at my shop think might start using it in our store league
WIP First War Against Chaos Expansion
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... e7da5c4719

WS3 / S3 / T3 / D4 / I5
Skills: Basic Stealth
Items: Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Great. :) I hope other players in your shop will like the list - opponets facing 6th ed CoS (at least here where I live and those posting their opinions in the web) usually regarded it as one of the few balanced and interesting lists from SoC, even more balanced than some regular ABs of that time actually. I hope this version lives up to that opinion. In any case, let us know how did it go.
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Update (v.0.92)

- clarified wording of Supreme Sorceress entry
- corrected Sorceress entry (added EoE mount option)
- clarified wording of Pendant of Khaeleth
- added Crown of Everlasting Conquest magic item
- changed Damonic Aura gift cost & rules
- changed Northern Wardband rule (removed DoW-like part)
- changed Anoined & Dechala entry (added Northern Warband rule)
- re-phrased wording of Spawn of Slaanesh entry
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Another update (v.0.925)

- corrected some typos
- removed Black Dragon Egg
- 7 other magic items marked for removal
- Crystal of Decievers item replaced with Tiara of Dark Fairy Queen
- changed Rod of Binding a bit
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

One more update (v.0.926)

- corrected cost of ranged weapons for Marauder Warlord
- changed format of Damonic Gifts listing (limitations on who can take what are now in the gifts summary, not army list)
- marked two Chaos Gifts for potential removal
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Update (v.0.94)
More changes this time, mainly re-working of the Magic Items/Gifts section (to bring it's size in line with other 7th ed ABs):

- Removed following Magic Items from DE items list: Hydra Blade, Caledor's Bane, Blood Armour, Hydra's Teeth, The Guiding Eye, Hydra Banner
- Removed following Magic Items from Slaanesh items list: The Crimson Armour of Dargan, Book of Secrets, Helm of Many Eyes, Skull of Katam
- Banner of the Slaanesh Cult replaced with Banner of the Great Temptator
- Renamed Daemonic Aura chaos gift to Favoured Servant (previous name doubled with element of Daemonic special rule); also modified it's rules.
- Removed Gaze of Acquiesence chaos gift
- Changed Quickening Blood chaos gift limitations (no longer Anointed only)
- Changed price and wording of Soporific Musk daemonic gift, also wording of Soporific Musk rule of Fiend of Slaanesh (to bring them in line with chaos gift of the same name)

Other than that:
- Updated Eye of the Pleasure God table (added names & small shifting of bonus order)
- Corrected rules of Dechala (mistake appeared due to change of Daemonic Aura gift in last update)
- small layout changes in the army list part

This hopefully brings the list very close to final version. In further updates you can expect:
- new special characters: Champion-level characters for Devoted & Neophyte Knights are coming soon, probably followed by one or two more characters in longer future.
- final decision on the rules of Effigy (both regular and alternate variant rules are included in the .pdf currently)
- possible tweaking in the rules and/or price of some of the magic items created especially for this list (namely: Lash of Acquiesence, Tiara of Dark Fairy Queen, Rod of Binding, Banner of the Great Temptator)
- and of course new, 7-th ed style layout (background section and pictures will have a longer wait, unless some fresh blood volunteers to help with them ;) )

Unless further playtesting shows some unexpected problems with the list, these are the only things that are prone to change.
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Bazooka-101
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Bazooka-101 »

I've always been a big cult fan, and I've even got myself a full cult army.., and i wouldnt might helping out anyway i can (i can also post some art when i get around to it :D), I can also do to some play testing every week or so (i play warhammer every thursday usually)
With 7th Edition Dark Elves

W:18 D:3 L:4
Ragian Cain
Highborn

Post by Ragian Cain »

Some images if needed for the Book, I also do Graphic Design if that would help in the construction of the list.

There are quite a few spelling mistakes in the pdf at the moment.

Zenith
Noble

Post by Zenith »

Reading the rules and armybook right now (looks so good). Why do i have such a weak spot for the cult of slaanesh? aargh Could it ever be official?
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

@Ragian Cain - good to hear from you again. :) I've copied your photos to the newly created topic (see linky in first post); you'll find my comment on them there too.

I'm in Graphic Desing too and I must admit that desiging layout and look of my favourite army's AB is so attractive to me that I'd want to selfishly leave that part of the work to myself. ;) But if you'd like to create some art for the Army Book, that would be great. :)

As for the spelling mistakes - I try my best to avoid them, but english is not my primary language and looks like word dictionary is not enough to get everything correct. I would be great and very helpfull if you could mark them in the pdf or otherwise send that info to me (by PM or e-mail).

@bazooka-101 - glad you want to help. :) I've updated the first post, you'll find links to playtesting feedback topic as well as CoS art & miniatures topics there.

@Zenith - as I wrote before: unfortunately we have absolutely no chance for official CoS list in this edition of WFB. If GW decides to change back DE background in 8th ed or later, then they might produce Cult list, but even then chances that it will be this one are minimal.

However, if this list gets wider interest in community, we might try to have it usable in at least some of the tournaments (Chaos Dwarf players succeeded in such solution and AFAIK their unofficial tournament-legal list is being playtested right now).
Last edited by Weenth on Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Zenith
Noble

Post by Zenith »

Thats somewhat good news, considering the chaos dwarves where once official right? What was the reasen they dropped them out.. low sales ?
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Zenith wrote:Thats somewhat good news, considering the chaos dwarves where once official right? What was the reasen they dropped them out.. low sales ?
They had Army Book in 5th edition, or at least sort of - it started as series of WD articles, which were later published in separate 'WD presents' book. But it included everything an Armybook should have and was tournament legal. In 6th ed they got Ravening Hordes list just like everyone else. This was also tournament legal, and may still be (not sure - not a tournament player myself), though it's quite poor - only 10 magic items, composition a bit different to that of current Army Books (only 2 Core choices, 0-1 limitations, etc.) and 1/4 of units were simply regular greenskins from O&G.

The reason why they never got 6th ed AB was - at least officialy - that designers didn't know how to do them justice. 4/5th ed miniatures were very cartoony, with big noses and tusks, as well as enormous hats (which remain a controversy among ChD players even now - some wouldn't want new miniatures if without big hats, some can't stand them and would only buy new miniatures if they're gone and some would want them, but only on characters&champions). Anyway, rumours are we're finally getting closer to official Chaos Dwarf AB - one sure thing is that GW made more effort to introduce little bits about them in 6/7th ABs than for any other race.

But 'closer' doesn't mean very soon, and the new list (by Kevin Coleman) should fill that gap. It introduces many new units (some taken from BL books, some from 3rd ed WFB, some completly new), so the army is mostly Chaos Dwarfs and their Daemonic Machines, with some Hobgoblins for flavour; it also includes a 'Rabble' unit - slaves of different races mixed (though usually goblins/gnoblars) and also magic Lore of Hashut and fully blown Magic Items section.

IMO it's much more interesting than the RH list and should give good fun to Chaos Dwarf players in their long wait for new AB (who, being an ex-WE player I emphasize with... waiting a couple editions for an update is quite irritating :roll: )

Anyway, I think we're going off-topic here. ;)
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Merlin
Slave on the Altar

Post by Merlin »

Is the Tiara of the Dark Fairy Queen supposed to be an Enchanted Item? From the rules it sounds like only a wizard can use it.