A Tale of 6 Gamer's- Cold One Dilema

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]

Which Cold One works with my army better

Brown scales
26%
Blue Scales
74%

Total votes: 19

Arkazath
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Arkazath »

thanks for the run through!
"i exist to kill. let me have my tally."

dreadlord arkazath after recieving orders to cease keeping a kill tally, seeing as all murders belong to khaine.
Bies
Noble

Post by Bies »

OK here is the rebased Hydra
Unfortunately I found out that very watered down paint will spread into the base even if the base is dry! So a touch up is needed on the Hydra- you'll see.

I'll show pictures of my rebased army tomorrow- done in a similar style to the Hydra.
Not another 1...
W/D/L for 2010
40/7/18
Bies
Noble

Post by Bies »

here is my WIP cold one. Still lots to do but I'm liking how it's looking.
Not another 1...
W/D/L for 2010
40/7/18
Lordceriosneniith
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lordceriosneniith »

Nice looking army better than mine.
What is that thing on your Hydra's base it looks like a skeletal horse kind of is it?
Bies
Noble

Post by Bies »

yea I bought a Tomb King Chariot set to make my first Pope Mobile for my Empire army (long sleek killing machine)

While I recently made a new War Altar for a tourney a couple of months back i still have all the bits so decided to use them when I can- you'll probably find the skellies on my Dragon (using WE, TK, HE, DE bits- at least so I envision still 2 months off getting him).

This was my original:

This is my new and improved:

Not another 1...
W/D/L for 2010
40/7/18
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

To be honest I like the original more, with the exception of the curved blade at the front. The new one just screams 40k to me and looks like it could move 2" per turn at most.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Bies
Noble

Post by Bies »

Very true on the 40k I mean it is made from the building set. I needed a new one for a couple of reasons

1. It was 50mm to long which was an issue for tourney play
2. IMHO it wasn't impressive enough it looked sleek and fast but it didn't look like d6 str5 impact hits. Now it does!
3. I wanted to make a thrownish waltar that my arch lector could preach sermons from while butchering greater daemons.
Not another 1...
W/D/L for 2010
40/7/18
Bies
Noble

Post by Bies »

Hey all!

So the first deadline was tonight and after the usual hubbub we finally confirmed all the rules and made sure everything was OK before asking the store manager and 2 other mates to judge the painting in 3 categories.

1. Best character
2. Best Regiment
3. Best Monster/Warmachine/40mmx40mm base (to incl. ogres and kroxigor in this one for competition sake- this month only).

Justin Hill got Best Regiment with his Greatswords
Cas got best character with his tit snake slaanesh exalted
I got best monster with my Hydra.

After this (one bret. player dropping out so we only had 7 rather then 8 gamers) we randomly drew names from a hat to play our first competitve game (we're going to play 4 a month).

I was up against Cas who imho is one of the best gamers around (he rules the movement phase).

his list:
Exalted on steed of slaanesh with enchanted shield, bestial roar, great weapon.
2x5 Marauder cavalry with mark of slaanesh, flails
15 marauder infantry with great weapons and mark of khorne
5 hounds

my list:
lv1 sorceress
10 Corsairs with full command
10 repeater crossbowmen
Hydra.

My computer is out of action for the moment so can't do my usual map reports.

Eitherway the table had a forest on the left of each deployment zone (so opposite each other) about 1/4 to 1/2 in the deployment zone, 2 hills in the centre on just off centre on the right and one on the far left in the middle.

about 3" away from the offcentre hill was an impassable lake touch the edge of the board (playing 3ft by 3ft).

My archers were between the forest and edge of the board, hydra and corsairs on the other side of the forest while the mage was behind the forest.

the warriors set up on my right behind the hill.

I wasn't worried about the warrior deployment as the river meant he couldn't outflank me on the right, meaning he had to jump over a hill to see me and I'd meet him with the Hydra and Corsairs.

unfortunately i forgot about Bloodcurdling roar and cas immediatly marched his titsnake 20" forward and within range of my mage. the

Thankfully it failed to roll any 6's so I charged it with my hydra. The mage killed 2 hounds with Blade win which then fled (eventually running off the table).

Being fast cav and having rallied the snake then moved 20" to roar at my mage again! This time causing a wound.

I replied with the hydra and bowmen and blade wind managing to cause a single wound to the 1+ armour behmoth.

In his turn (he was keeping the rest of his army back while attempting to march block/kill my weaker elements with his hero- smart I guess as it focussed my attention on it) he charged the crossbowmen with his champion. Being only 6" I got no stand and shoot and having lost 4 men to the monster I broke the champion following them off the board.

With the champion gone for a turn I figured I'd get to grips with rest of the army so moved the corsairs forward behind the centre hill while I swung the Hydra to the left to breathe on and kill a single marauder horseman.

In the magic phaes I tried to cast blade wind on the other unit of horse but miscast and suffered a str2 hit- thankfully not wounding my mage.

The tit snake returned and moved near the forest but not within LOS to roar at my mage while the rest of his force shifted around, the marauders in front of the Hydra moving back to make an easier get away if the Hydra charged.

I decided to take matter into hand as I was tired of the character running around blowing things up and the elusive marauders. The Hydra ran forward and flamed 2 marauder horse while allowing itself to get charged by the Marauder inf (and horse if they wished). I also crested the hill with the Corsairs so they would be able to charge the flank of the marauder inf (if they won combat and overran or if they stayed locked in it).

I moved the mage into LOS with the exalted and cast chill wind, which was dispelled on double 6 (needing 14). ouch.

combat went well for me not suffering a wound (made my 6+AS's) in return I killed 6 marauders and ran the block down which was lucky as he'd set up rear/flank charges with his marauder horse if I had remained in place!

unfortunately the chaos champ charged the mage and while the mage fled deeper into the forest I only rolled a 6 for flee distance and it turned out I was 1/2 an inch still within the charge range even with the 1/2 movement of the forest. That hurt.

In my turn being the 5th I flanked the 3 man marauder horse above the lake with my Hydra and flamed all 3 to death while wheeling the corsairs so they wouldn't be flanked by the remaining marauders.

In his 6th Cas bloodcurdling roared the corsairs killing 2 while the marauders fell back to claim 1 table quater.

In my 6th I moved to take 2 table quaters.

game ended as a draw as unbeknown to me the group (cas and sal) had decided to 1/2 the points of table quaters (but not generals or banners) for the 500pt games- which really shat me as it changed a minor victory into a draw (I won by 70pts, 75 for a win, he would have had +50pts, to my +100 meaning I would have had 121 pts more then him instead of just 70.

But not only was this a dumb ruling my mind (I had argued about it when the two of them had first talked about the idea of changing it) but Sal had made his opponent play it at 25pts while steve and ray played it at the regular 100pts. So that made me a bit bitter about the game.

Eitherway a decent start up.

25pts for painting
15pts for winning the competition and a draw.

So standings so far:
Cas- Warriors of Chaos (1 month, 1 award, draw)
Ben- Dark Elves (1 month, 1 award, draw)
Justin- Empire (1 month, 1 award, loss)
Sal- Ogres (1 month, 1 win)
Hanani- Brettonians (1 month)
Steve- lizard men (1 month, loss)
Ray- orks (0 month [didn't finish painting] win)
Not another 1...
W/D/L for 2010
40/7/18
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

I've been looking at your army, which is overall good looking and painted at a proper tabletop standard, however, what bothers me the most is that the cold ones are a cacophony of colours. Let me enlighten this, instead of burning your models down like this.

Overall, your army has *cold* colours. The blue-ish greys, icey blues, here and there a green freehand, which is all good.

Then there comes the knights, with purple and reds all over, which are warm colours! They make the model seem sloppy and chaotic, while paint technically, this is not the case.

My point is, please ditch the red and the brown-ish red. Replace it with a cold colour, such as a blue-ish green, or another blue-type (as in the style of your corsairs cloaks, which would bind the two units together as a whole), etc.

This is just friendly critisism, hope I constructed my opinion well enough for you to understand my point.

Hope I've been some help,

P.S. One last thing, dilute your paints just a little more, the layering seems a bit thick at some points.
Be sure to check out my Army blog.
Bies
Noble

Post by Bies »

I hadn't really thought about that but you are right about the warm/cold colours I will post another pic of the cok tonight as I have pretty much finished him but could always re-do the scales.
Not another 1...
W/D/L for 2010
40/7/18
Bies
Noble

Post by Bies »

Hey guys I need to figured out which Cold One is better (how do I put a poll on here?)

Eitherway tell me which COK you like better (the blue knight is still WIP)

[img width=1000 height=750]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd120/Bies21/090920091008.jpg[/img]

[img width=1000 height=750]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd120/Bies21/090920091007.jpg[/img]

[img width=1000 height=750]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd120/Bies21/090920091006.jpg[/img]

[img width=1000 height=750]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd120/Bies21/090920091005.jpg[/img]

[img width=1000 height=750]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd120/Bies21/090920091004.jpg[/img]

[img width=1000 height=750]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd120/Bies21/090920091003.jpg[/img]
Not another 1...
W/D/L for 2010
40/7/18
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

Very much improvement, both cold ones. I see your post went wrong somehow, so I'm just gonna repost a few of your pictures and ask you a question about it.

Bies wrote:Image

Which one of these 2 cold ones fits best with your army in YOUR opinion?

Think about that one.

I would personally go with the first one this time, but only if you highlight the underbelly of the hydra in the same way as you painted the scales here. Once again, my compliments, you have improved a lot!
Cyrialin
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Cyrialin »

Looking at your army I would say blue, but however cold ones need contrast. So I would say a very dark blue.
Dark Elves W/D/L 10/0/0
Syn'dar
Corsair

Post by Syn'dar »

Have you think about painting the coat in the same colour as the hydra and then paint the scales blue as you did for your CO ? If you prefer to stay with this coat so I'd say the "brownish" scales looks better just in term of contrast, blue scales + blue coat look a little to blue for my taste
- Conquering others is strength, conquering yourself is true power -
Bies
Noble

Post by Bies »

What I'm hearing from other forums and my mates at the LGS is that the blue one does look nicer but there isn't enough contrast (some mention it looks to Helf) add to the fact they'll have snow bases... things could get nasty.

That said I have done the champions Cold One with blue scales so I think I'm going to paint the rest brown (probably change the underside a little) and see if the idea of the champions cold one looks ok with blue scales (older cold one...different breed).

To answer the question above I actualy prefer the blue but I'm taking in everyones opinion because until I painted the blue I really liked the brown.
Not another 1...
W/D/L for 2010
40/7/18
Starscream
Corsair

Post by Starscream »

Go blue, mine are also blue but darker and with grey undersides, I think the colour you have painted looks well and suits the bases as a kind of lizardy "camoflage" for winter areas. ie white and blue would be good matches for an area covered in snow and ice.
Kurl-soulrender
Black Guard

Post by Kurl-soulrender »

Go blue scales mate. It looks very good, and fits with the other colours.
-JK.
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

like brown scales, make a good contrast with the pale blue white and add more colour richness to your colour palette
Death before dishonor
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

The brown scales also go well with the rusty armour of the infantry troops, as long as it doesn't become too red brown is fine.