[PLOG] The Annointed of Khaine - Updated 04/28/2012

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Tzelok
Beastmaster

[PLOG] The Annointed of Khaine - Updated 04/28/2012

Post by Tzelok »

Hello my fello Druchii,

I have been working on this army for awhile now, and have been inspired by a countless many of you with many of my conversions. None of the models are currently based, as I am still undecided on how to base them, but I`m thinking some sort of snow base would contrast nicely with my dark colour scheme. Let me know what you guys think!

Assassins:

Test Executioner:

Corsairs:

Cold One Knights:

Dreadlord:

Dark Riders:

RBTs:

Shades:

Sorceress:

Then I have a few WiP`s. The blackguard arms are going to be sanded down and sculpted over, along with a few other touches. The cauldron will have chains attached to the slaves, and a few things on the dark pegasus as well:

Blackguard:

Cauldron of Blood:

Dark Pegasus:
Image[/img]
Last edited by Tzelok on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nirous
Warrior

Post by Nirous »

That is nice!!!! I really like the color scheme man! I have one question, wouldn't the Black Guard be cooler with a Halberd? Oh well, i'm sure it'll look insane once you're done with it! Oh and, mind giving a noob like me some pointers on how you painted the skin, and the red on their armour? I'm currently experimenting with finding a good red scheme to go with some dark blue for my army, and this red is exactly what i'm after! So a few pointers would be awesome, thanks!

But yeah sweet looking army man! Can't wait to see more!
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

nice colour schema and the conversions are really good the sorc on pegasus is really cool...cant wait see her painted
Death before dishonor
Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

Never seen blue elves. O.o
Anyway, very nice conversions, especially the cauldron. But isn't it's base a bit too long?

About your BG's Haberd: Maybe you'll find interesting what my Black Guard is going to fight with (no BG yet there).
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Are all the elves holding their breath because they're all blue!

It's a decent army painted to tabletop quality. Though the colour scheme actually makes this look more like a Vampire Count army. Which is clever if your intention is to use these model for both armies! Otherwise it's just to...to...Smurfy.
Nirous
Warrior

Post by Nirous »

Perhaps some kind of very very pale skin would work better
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

I like your cauldron! Well, except for the cauldron, is that really going to be it? Or is that a placeholder? I think it has great potential! Good job!
Syn'dar
Corsair

Post by Syn'dar »

That's a nice army, the colour scheme and the paint job are very effective! The blue skin doesn't really bother me as it gives some contrast with the rest of the figure which is pretty dark. Thought the sorceress skin is a little too much darker.

Snow bases would be great for them, I can especially see the CO hero charging through snow... Or maybe just the opposite and give them some lava theme bases, black rocks and some lava spots all around.

The wip blackguard looks very promising but he needs some panache (not sure of the word) on his helmet ! Plus the rider looks a little too big for the dark pegasus IMO, but it may be just the picture
- Conquering others is strength, conquering yourself is true power -
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

I really like the ambition of what you're doing - particularly the pegasus and COB conversions :) Only risk there is that that Pegasus is going to be very hard to keep nice and avoid physical damage from hands of god during battle (ie seems quite likely its going to get knocked and fall over quite a bit)...

Personally, I find the colour scheme a bit uncatching. The blend of red, black, white and grey doesn't really jump out at me (which is a shame, because the painting done is really good quality...). Ironically, the intense blood red of the Eldar Avatar on the cauldron ends up as too much of a contrast and looks out of place.

I love the blackguard model :) more tasteful and menacing than the GW current model.
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

Your conversions look great, your paint scheme on the clothe and armor is pretty good, but I just don't know if I like the blue/red mix. I would be tempted to go more of a grey skin tone if I were you, though that might wash out the model a bit. I do like the red though.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Blue drow! eww.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

Great painting, as others have said already, but I'm not too fond of blue skin either. Looks a bit like they're from another planet. A crossbreed of Tau and Dark Elves maybe or something... Pale skin looks much better (and I'd imagine it will work well with your scheme).

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

You definitely have some good stuff, but there is also room for improvement.

As others have noted, the blue skin ... it's ok in small doses where it's only the face and it's heavily shaded. But it looks pretty poor on the sorceress. All that blue skin makes her look like some kind of mutant smurf.

You need something in the basing to give all the black in your army some background. Gray stones don't cut it. And I think snow would still be too monotone. Adding some static grass to your basing would help the overall look of the army a LOT. Do something like the bases of the GW studio army.

Interesting and ambitious cauldron conversion -- but the cauldron itself is WAY out of proportion. It's much to big. They "cup" should be less than half its present height to look right.

I apologize for being a bit harsh, but you obviously have some painting skills and some good ideas -- the pegasus conversion looks very promising. Since you do have skills, I'm just trying to help you avoid some things that could bring down an otherwise very good army.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Loki_the_black
Warrior

Post by Loki_the_black »

Looks great. My only criticism is the skin colour. I do not like the blue especially against the red of the army. But, hey, that's just my personal oppinion. I prefer either very pale flesh colour or a slightly grey tinge.
Tzelok
Beastmaster

Post by Tzelok »

Thanks for all the comments guys,

about the skin tone: It actually is less blue than the pictures make it out to be, but I agree about the sorceress, might make her skin a bit more grayish.

Nirous: The red is layered as follows - mechrite red, badaab black, red gore, red wash, blood red then for the `mettalic` red parts, I use red ink, and for the cloths another red wash. (I know, its a LOT of work, but I was looking for a very particular finish).

Kuanor: That is an awesome idea, I may play around with it for the BG halberd. Thanks!

Phierlihy: The reason for the skin tone is that I was originally introduced to dark elves in Everquest, and its sorta what drew me into the army originally, so in my mind this is how I always saw my druchii.
Tzelok
Beastmaster

|

Post by Tzelok »

Ampao: well I was going to use it, but now that you guys mention it, it is a bit big. Gotta keep my eye open for something else I can use, as I refuse to pay for that horrible GW model, lol.

Deathknight27: Thanks! I am going to be customizing a charon case for the entire army, and I think I will cut out a specially sized foam thing for my peggy but I actually transported it to my friends house to take the photos in my little GW case and it was fine (much to my suprise!). As for the paint scheme on the avatar, thats just left over from my friend`s old paint job. (he gave me the model). I`m thinking of painting it a black marble effect.

Dyvim: I didn`t find that harsh at all, actually I really appreciate the feedback! I think I will try to lighten the sorceress`s skin a bit. And probably find a different cauldron to use on my cauldron. And for the bases i`m thinking a layer of sand painted grey\brown, a few patches of static grass, and then a light layer of snow spread around. What do you think(insert question mark here as my laptop is on the fritz...)

Again, thanks again for the feedback guys. I will keep you all posted on my progress.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Tzelok wrote:Phierlihy: The reason for the skin tone is that I was originally introduced to dark elves in Everquest, and its sorta what drew me into the army originally, so in my mind this is how I always saw my druchii.

To you the Druchii should be blue. To the rest of the world your models are "blue Smurf-elves". It doesn't matter that you painted them for a different game so long as you like them. Because you're the one fielding them.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Re: |

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Tzelok wrote:And for the bases i`m thinking a layer of sand painted grey\brown, a few patches of static grass, and then a light layer of snow spread around. What do you think(insert question mark here as my laptop is on the fritz...)

I think that could work quite well. Based on your particular color scheme, I would have more grass than snow. I think getting that color from the bases would be really important for the overall look of the army.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Hekarti_capri
Slave on the Altar

Post by Hekarti_capri »

Smurfs? Drows? Certainly not Druchii.
- Hekarti_Capri
Mdk
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mdk »

Hekarti_Capri, this comment is not acceptable. A pointless comment. This is the second time you don't follow the rules. Therefor you get an unofficial warning. Be more contributing next time.

Rork edit: And make sure you check your PMs, Hekarti.
You’re a wreck, an accident.
Forget the freak, your just nature.
Keep the gun oiled, and the temple cleaned shiz
snort, and blaspheme, let the heads cool, and the
engine run. Because in the end, everything we do,
is just everything we’ve done.
Mithrilforge
Trainee Warrior

Post by Mithrilforge »

i like the blue on the shades and assassins!,although a little lighter and some more blending may be just whats needed,the idea of the alternate choice bases of darker and richer earth tones will greatly balance the cold colors of your army as "Dyvim Tvar" has suggested.
conversions are wild and i concur with everyone else..the BG is cool 8)

look forward to seeing more,
cheers Mithril
Arcturus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Arcturus »

Looks good, your army actually reminds me of my old 6th ed dark elf colorscheme. :) I just thought you could try, if you're intrested, to highlight the reds that are "armor" with a sharper edgehighlight, leaving a white dot on corners that are facing upwards, would give them distinction as being armor and not cloth, and also divide more sharply your armor and cloth parts. Just an idea. :)

I also like the blackguard, looks very promising.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
---Tragic legend, Eerie stratum---
Tzelok
Beastmaster

Post by Tzelok »

@Mithril:Thanks! The shades and assassins were the most recent ones painted, but I'm still playing around with the skin tones overall, I definitely need to rework something for the models that show more skin (sorc's and witches come to mind).

@Arcturus: All I had been doing to differentiate was using red ink on the armoured pieces, but I definitely will try the edge highlighting. Would you suggest highlighting (on the edges) up to white on the tips? or just ad a very fine white dot/edge highlight on the upward facing corners as is?
Army Plog Below:
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=63015

Scratch Built Druchii Tower:
http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=67976&highlight=

The League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Arcturus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Arcturus »

@Tzelok
Try the dots first, if you think it needs more, do the some of the upwards facing edges a bit brighter too. Testing is what gets everyone forward. :)

Cheers
---Tragic legend, Eerie stratum---
D.e. warrior
Executioner

Post by D.e. warrior »

where did you got those pilars on top of the cauldron of blood? would like one of those for my Focus Familliar marker...
how much did you payed for the khaine?