Nargoth's [PLOG]

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Nargoth
Warrior

Nargoth's [PLOG]

Post by Nargoth »

Ok so i decided to start one of my own since it seemed fun. But don't expect any weekly updates since im a slow ass painter.

well heres my Coldone Knights im working on at the moment and would be thankful for any coments on improvements.

Last edited by Nargoth on Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

I dont think theres anything I can suggest improvements. I love the color scheme and the neatness of it all.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Nice start.

Since this is a work in progress, I suspect you are going to add some highlighting to the saddle and that you also intend to pick out things like spines, claws and teeth in a lighter color for contrast.

I do like the idea behind the color scheme -- the black/gray scales on the back of the cold one contrast well with the bone-colored underbelly (you've done a good job with your shading and highlighting there). My one complaint is that the color of the armor on the knight is too close to the color of the scales on the cold one. I would want more contrast there and would probably go with a metallic of some kind rather than black.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Nargoth
Warrior

Post by Nargoth »

Yeah you assume corect... I'm not clear on all the details yet but the saddle i was planing on nicking your colours that you used.

I will probobly not repaint the riders since all of mine ar finished waiting for mounts and that would take to much time. But if you have any other idees for making a larger contrast betwen the rider and mount it would be welcome
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

There are 2 options -- do something to the knights or to the mounts.

Regarding the knights, right now, the armor looks black with just the smallest bit of dark purple highlight. But the black of the armor is awfully close to that of the scales on the cold ones. You could do light and careful drybrush of the armor with a silver metallic paint (probably Chainmail to maintain an overall darker look). It would change the look of the models farily significantly thourh, and would probably have to carry over into the rest of you army, which you might not want to do.

Or you could lighten the scales on the mount -- highlight up to a lighter gray. I would probably just drybrush it, followed with inks or a wash to make the spaces between the scales nice and dark.
Nargoth
Warrior

Post by Nargoth »

Ok well i think ill finish the coldone an take some photos and then deside wich one i should change.
And i don't realy understand what you mean by drybrushing with metal to get them look darker

Should i repaint them with just solid black and drybrush them with metal then. Because right now hey arent realy black, they are painted with hormagaunt purple which i washed with badab and highlighted the edges hormagaunt purple. then i have just washed it and repeated the proces several times

And since this is the first unit to this army i would like to get it right from the start so just name the flaws now and its less trouble later :)
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I actually think you've got a solid colour scheme going. One of the best ways to create "theme" is to repeat it and you've done that here. The armour looks cold and cruel. The Cold One is similarly dark themed but angry and dangerous. The cloth shows a stripe across the bottom much like a high elf would have but the lifeless purple conveys their betrayal and bitterness. Overall I think it ties well with the fluff and creates an excellent theme. Well done!

Now to keep the models interesting I would add subtle colour on the bases. Rusted shields, wilted flowers, arrows in the ground, broken stone, etc all can be used to provide colour.

The model is not done but you're off to an excellent start! The Cold One scales are Adeptus Grey I believe but what is the belly colour?
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Nargoth wrote:Ok well i think ill finish the coldone an take some photos and then deside wich one i should change.
And i don't realy understand what you mean by drybrushing with metal to get them look darker

It wouldn't make it darker and I don't think I said it would -- it would make the armor lighter and tehrefore provide more contrast with the dark cold ones.

Should i repaint them with just solid black and drybrush them with metal then. Because right now hey arent realy black, they are painted with hormagaunt purple which i washed with badab and highlighted the edges hormagaunt purple. then i have just washed it and repeated the proces several times

Maybe it's the camera, but the armor doesn't look like it's very purple. If you did want to drybrush it with a metallic, I think you could do it right over what is there now instead of rebasing them black.
Nargoth
Warrior

Post by Nargoth »

phierlihy wrote: The Cold One scales are Adeptus Grey I believe but what is the belly colour?

Is adeptus grey a new colour dont recognize it... no the scales is made of a base coat of chardon granite over, then badab black, then 50/50 wiht chardon granite and graveyard earth, then 50/50 wiht chardon granite and graveyard earth again, and finish finish dry brush with kommando khaki.

The belly is just Komando Khaki washed whit Devlan mud and the repeted
Nargoth
Warrior

Post by Nargoth »

Not sure if the purple is shown better but these are the knights

Last edited by Nargoth on Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Even in thiose pictures, the purple is only apparent at the edges.

One thing you might consider is instead of having all the armor dark, choose just a few plates to do in a metallic finish. For your knights, I might choose the "belly" plate of their armor and do it in either gold or silver. On my knights, I gave those plates a different treatment from the rest of the armor and I think it provides a good point of contrast.
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

I like it. It makes for a very subdued look, which is very hard to get right without a masterful knowledge of hues.

The gold, however, needs a lot more work to fit into this plan. Try inking it with black, brown, blue, green, purple... whatever you can do to tone the sheen down. Also, I would opt for some very bright highlights, but only at the very tips of the armour spikes. Lastly, I'd get just a bit more flesh tone into the skin of your knights; otherwise it'll be much too close in hue to the scales of your Cold Ones.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Nargoth
Warrior

Post by Nargoth »

Yeah i knew about the gold problem... which i will try and fix as soon as i get a hold on tinbits

Never thought about the skin but ill se what i can do
Last edited by Nargoth on Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nargoth
Warrior

Post by Nargoth »

Well here it is finish painted...

Last edited by Nargoth on Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James brown iii
Slave on the Altar

Post by James brown iii »

Amazing work.
Bies
Noble

Post by Bies »

wow great models and great inspiration for myself (about to start work on my own cold ones).
Not another 1...
W/D/L for 2010
40/7/18
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

Very nice! I think the leather came out perfect!

Are you keeping the spines the same color?
Nargoth
Warrior

Post by Nargoth »

Yes i was planing on it... why do you have any other advice?
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

How about changing the spines on the back and the side scales to a contrasting color? Like the same tone as the unerbelly? or the claws.

either way, doesnt change the fact that i think its already pretty awesome. :)
R3flexx
Warrior

Post by R3flexx »

I am amazed at the neatness of it. It looks so crisp. You must have a reaaaaly steady hand. Also, the color scheme just seems so believable it's amazing. I haven't started my CoK yet, but now I see how well a something looks when you take your time to drybrush. How did you do the color of that leather? I might want to steal that. :)
Wins - 7
Losses - 0
Draws - 0
Nargoth
Warrior

Post by Nargoth »

Thanks for the coments glad you like it...

I tweked a recipie i got from Dyvim Tvar, so it became like this

Painted over a black primer. Basecoat with Scorched Brown. Beastial brown comes next, everywhere but the recessed areas, then highlight with Snakebite leather. Wash it all with Devlan mud. highlight again with Snakebite Leather
Nargoth
Warrior

Post by Nargoth »

Recently ive got stuck on what my bases should look like... The one showed in the picture above was the begining of a snow bases wich turned out to be awfull so now i looking for a new soultion if some one has any ideas it would be appreciated.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

I think that your CO has the subtly coolest paint that I've yet seen on COs.

I like the "realistic" tones and your paint work is very well done.

Very nice. :D
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?