2250 pts tournament army, ACS system

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Haf
Dark Rider

2250 pts tournament army, ACS system

Post by Haf »

Hello,
i will play my first bigger tournament, and it is based on ACS system, minimum score in ACS is 10+ (and maximum in 6000/200 points in ACS system).

I decided to play my favourite infantry army with backbone of common spearelves, with some rbws, drs, and knights. Two days i spent on thinking about heroes setup. A lord? A magic? Than i've chosen only two masters and one couldron.

Unnamed2250 Pts - Dark Elves Army

1 Master @ 158 Pts
General; Heavy Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak
Whip of Agony
Shield of Ghrond
1 Cold One

1 Master @ 171 Pts
Beastmaster's Scourge; Heavy Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak; Battle Standard
Ring of Hotek
Enchanted Shield
1 Dark Steed
(scourge because he can have a shield with it, and still has -2 AS)

1 Death Hag @ 235 Pts
Cauldron of Blood; Frenzy; 2ndWeapon
Rune of Khaine
Dark Venom
1 Cauldron of Blood

25 Dark Elf Warriors @ 190 Pts
Spear; Light Armour; Shield; FCG

10 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen @ 110 Pts
Rptr Crossbow; Light Armour; Shield

5 Dark Riders @ 110 Pts
Spear; Rptr Crossbow; Light Armour

5 Dark Riders @ 110 Pts

5 Harpies @ 55 Pts

6 Cold One Knights @ 217 Pts
Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; FCG
Null Talisman

Null Talisman

1 War Hydra 175 pts

2 Reaper Bolt Thrower @ 200 Pts

Casting Pool: 2

Dispel Pool: 2

Models in Army: 111

Total Army Cost: 2248

The worst things will be spirits from the undeads armies, there is nothing what could challenge them! :(
Your opinnions will be welcome.
Falahk
Night Goblin

Post by Falahk »

could you care to post a link to the comp system in use?
is this the latest RTO/Atlantis wps based comp?
what does your current list score in comp?
what tourny do you plan to attend?

knowing thes things would make it a lot more easy for me to comment on your list
SWFBR- Swedish Warhammer Tournament Calendar, Ranking and Forum
Haf
Dark Rider

Post by Haf »

http://www.doupe.cz/files/tmp/Unicorn/WFB/ACS.pdf

Link follows to our composion system (it should be taken from Sweden).

My current army should have around (im bad in math) 14, 81 points in this ACS system. :roll:

Edit: and this tournament is a Big Un serie in Brno with capacity 40 players (Big Un contains more tournaments for different composion and size and each player who plays any of them is counting in this ranking). But i will play it as a singl tournament near my local capital.
Falahk
Night Goblin

Post by Falahk »

Yes that's indeed regular swedish comp, and considering how much it hit a dark elf army, it look like you have a solid list.
the first questions spring to mind is:
does the cold one master really need Shield of Ghrond?
do you really need 2 dark rider units, would you not be better of with one dr unit and one shade unit?
do the cauldron hag need equipment to boost her combat stats?
SWFBR- Swedish Warhammer Tournament Calendar, Ranking and Forum
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Re: 2250 pts tournament army, ACS system

Post by Dyvim tvar »

1 Master @ 158 Pts
General; Heavy Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak
Whip of Agony
Shield of Ghrond
1 Cold One

I assume this guy is in a cold-one unit, so I'm going to comment on those units along with him. Taking a single Null Talisman in each of your Cold ONe units won't help much in an army that only has 2 other dispel dice. I think it woul dbe better to protect the unit your general is in. Since you aren't going with an uber-fighty general, I think you should: (1) drop the Null Talismans from your Cold One champions; and (2) give your general a mundane lance to go with Enchanted Shield and 2 Null Talismans.

1 Master @ 171 Pts
Beastmaster's Scourge; Heavy Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak; Battle Standard
Ring of Hotek
Enchanted Shield
1 Dark Steed
(scourge because he can have a shield with it, and still has -2 AS)

If you have the model for it, I think putting this guy on a Dark Pegasus would be the way to go as you can shadow enemy casters and bring them into the area of effect of the Ring, allowing it to stop "targetless" spells. Also, I question the need for a BSB in this army -- the comp system doesn't give a bonus for it, and you have no Stubborn troops who could really benefit from it.

1 Death Hag @ 235 Pts
Cauldron of Blood; Frenzy; 2ndWeapon
Rune of Khaine
Dark Venom
1 Cauldron of Blood

Rune of Khaine and Dark Venom are a complete waste of points on this model -- plus you take a comp hit for Rune of Khaine. Dump them both.

5 Dark Riders @ 110 Pts

5 Dark Riders @ 110 Pts

5 Harpies @ 55 Pts

Core troop choices are solid.

Null Talisman

Null Talisman

As noted previously, 2 Null Talismans on your general would be better than 1 on each of these units.

1 War Hydra 175 pts

2 Reaper Bolt Thrower @ 200 Pts

Solid.

The worst things will be spirits from the undeads armies, there is nothing what could challenge them! :(

If wraiths/spirit hosts are the reason you took magic weapons on your Masters, that's a bad reason. A Master does not have enough attacks do deal with either type of unit. Your best option is to engage ethereal units with one of your spear blocks and just try to tie them up all game.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Haf
Dark Rider

Post by Haf »

I thanks for your opinnions.

Falakh: yep, im thinking of changinc equip of my hero. But the origin idea was that my hero with that shield will tie up something with higher S. But this shield will probably work on a medium S (3-4), higher will not be so reduced.

I have 6 painted shades, but everytime i used them they fullfill role of shooting platform (and very good shooting:)), but to get them into opponents war machine and others was very hard. And DR are more mobile, i used them often as screens for my infantry, and making traps. These poor elves with swords and shields cant do anything without this support. From this reason im using 2 units of DR cca two years :roll:

Cauldron: the origin idea was boost her into challenge. If enemy will charge cauldron, hag should make a challenge, killing a units champion. After my first play i decided, that only the rune for KB will be enough on her (bretonian lord took immedietly challenge with 4-5 attacts with re-roll, wounds with re-rolls, and i didnt pass any ward...).

Dyvim:
Unfortunetly, not. My generel is planned to boost my infantry, she (a woman figure:) ) is going in them, CO is a way how to make AS1+ and make infantry immune to the fear. Stupidy...ahm. I now. But all has any cost:(

And yes, i need BSB. very often my spears stop some unit, hold it until help will come in 1-2 turns. But the dices are terrible, you will lost combat by 1 point and you roll 11 on break test. And 290 VP is gone (i have problem to flee from combat or catch enemie :D). BSB is changing this thing, and after my experiences i fear when im going with infantry without BSb
:cry:

Equip of hag-as i wrote for Falakh.

Anyway, i played my first play. I have bad luck and luck too. I failed in how far can go his cavalry, so he charge my gneral unit by lord+errants and bsb+realms and he got them by 1" (16" exatly). I though its beyond their range, so i hold:(. I lost it by 9 and he caught me. Than he overrun to the knights, and to the cauldron. But 4 realms and BSB was not any danger for my knights in two turns i killed most of them and turned them by autobreak, and cauldron hold his damned general until my second spears and hydra come. But both my DRs was forced to pursue from the table, and I lost 200VP for the parts of battlefield:(. I won by 1054 VP.
Ninja smurf
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Ninja smurf »

Remember that as with all undead from a VC army, if any wraiths or spirit hosts lose a combat they will most likely lose wounds due to combat resolution if you have a good combat res. Not that I suggest tying them up with a big unit, but its nice to know.