1500 pt list - Balanced?

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Cappenverra
Trainee Warrior

1500 pt list - Balanced?

Post by Cappenverra »

I have played the following list a few times now. I have had good success with it so far. (4 vicotries, 2 draws, 1 loss.)

Death Hag with COB and R of Khaine
Lvl 2 sorceress + Sacrificial Dagger
Lvl 1 Sorceress + Tome of Furion, Seal of Ghrond

13 Warriors + Mus.
10 RXB + Shields & Mus.
10 RXB + Shields & Mus.
5 DR ,Rxb & Mus.
5 Harpies

10 BG, Full command, Banner of HG
5 CoK

War Hydra

I like the way the list plays as it gives me some hitting power, decent shooting & magic and what I consider a good hammer & anvil combo with the BG, Hydra and CoK.

I consider this balanced but my friends have said that becuase I have 2 casters, a COB and a hydra it is over the top for 1500 pts.

Do you consider this list "over the top"?

If so, please provide some advice on how I could "soften" the list to make it more palatable to other players while still maintaining effectiveness.

Thanks.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I don't believe in "over the top"

Don't ever soften your lists. Help your friends improve theirs.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Cappenverra
Trainee Warrior

Post by Cappenverra »

Thanks Dalamar. I agree with you. However, I thought I would canvass other DE players to see if the general consensus is that my list is balanced or not.

I toyed with the idea of removing the hydra. However, combined with the 5+ ward COB blessing, it's a huge threat with a lot of staying power. I'm hard pressed to find something to replace its role for the same point cost.

Also, I think that dropping the second lvl 1 caster is a bad option as it weakens my magic phase too much.

I find this list provides me with flexibility. Descent shooting, some fast units, good magic, a solid defense and 2 hammer units.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

What is the meaning of balanced?
D.R.A.I.C.H. The balance of an army. A theoretical approach.
Have a look and make your opinion. There is even a check-list for a balanced army!

Now, your friends have probably another definition for balanced: Anything that they have trouble to beat must be unbalanced!
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Cappenverra
Trainee Warrior

Post by Cappenverra »

Calisson wrote:What is the meaning of balanced?
D.R.A.I.C.H. The balance of an army. A theoretical approach.
Have a look and make your opinion. There is even a check-list for a balanced army!

Now, your friends have probably another definition for balanced: Anything that they have trouble to beat must be unbalanced!
Thanks Calisson. I've been reading the D.R.A.I.C.H. for several weeks now but I've been concentrating on the unit specific posts first. I'll go and read the suggested post right now.

On another note, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you and all the other contributors to D.R.A.I.C.H. for the great advice. It really helped me hit the ground running with my new DE army!

Heheheeee, Now THAT has been the topic of many a discussion over beers at the local pub after a gaming session.
Brokenstone
Cold One Knight

Post by Brokenstone »

I would have considered dropping a couple of warriors/BG so as to make that lvl 1 sorc a lvl 2 aswell... But I like making each character available as destructive as possible.

Still looks like a fun little force to play, with only the hydra being anything that most opponents have trouble with.
Cappenverra
Trainee Warrior

Post by Cappenverra »

I considered that as well.

However, with the tome of furion, we get access to an extra spell for cheaper than the upgrade of a lvl. With the power of darkness spell, and the fact that the Druchii are not limited by their power level in the amount of casting dice they can use, I felt I could live without the upgrade to lvl 2.
Cappenverra
Trainee Warrior

Post by Cappenverra »

Thanks to those who posted.

As Calisson suggested, I read the D.R.A.I.C.H. post regarding balanced lists and even ran mine through the checklist. The result I found was that my 1500 pt list seems pretty balanced. Of course this is still based on my interpretaion of the capabilites of my list.

However, my paly record with this list shows that it can take on a wide variety of armies and still be competitive. The list has faced vampire Counts, Bretonians, Warriors of Chaos (twice), Daemons, High Elves and Dwarves. My only loss (massacre) was against the dwarves and that was a 2 on 1 team match with a WoC ally facing a 3K Dwarf list with 2 Lords (one of which had the Anvil!)

Anyway, Thanks for the opinions. I will continue to use this list as I like the way it plays and the felixibility it provides. It's just good to have a second opinion from seasoned Druchii players.

Cheers!
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

That certainly seems like an interesting list. Certainly not over the top, as it doesn't look like a no-brainer list.

Does the RoK do you any good on the cauldron? I'd probably make her BSB, and make one of the girls general. Or use it for a dispel scroll.
Cappenverra
Trainee Warrior

Post by Cappenverra »

I've only ever been in combat twice with the Death Hag as I mostly put the Cauldron behind the front line to boost other units where needed. The extra d3 attacks from the Rune of K have come in handy on both occasions.

In this list, I usually make the DH my general as my other heroes are casters and are too susceptible to miscast and are usually not close enough to the main action to bolster other units with higher leadership.

However, in my 2k list, I usually make my DH with CoB my BSB.