Cult of Slaanesh - Playtesting Feedback

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Dalamar wrote:Got a thread for that? Already have one in mind ;)
No thread for separate scenarios, but you could post it in topic for some-day-to-be-madeCult of Slaanesh campaign. ;)
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Updated 'special attention' list in the first post.
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Kensou
Black Guard

Post by Kensou »

Okay had another game last yesterday.

Used the following list.

Supreme Sorceress
LVL 4
Mark of Slaanesh
Pendant of Khaeleth
Sacrificial Dagger

Sorceress
Lvl 2
Mark of Slaanesh
Effigy of Excess
Darkstar Cloak
Scroll

Sorceress
Lvl 2
Dark Steed
Tiara of the Dark Fairy Queen
Tome of Furion

Master
Battle Standard Bearer
Great Weapon
Banner of the Great Temptator

22 Dark Elf Warriors
Shields
Full Command
Mark of Slaanesh

17 Devoted
Musician + Standard Bearer

6 Cultists

5 Dark Riders
RxB
Musician
Mark of Slaanesh

8 Chosen of Slaanesh
Great Weapons
Shields
Champion

In this battle I was playing together with High Elves (My army wanted to kill them by themselves not let someone else do it) against VC and Dwarfs. The lists were something like this:
High Elves.
Lord on Star Dragon
2 Lvl 2's
2x10 archers
2x5 Dragon princes
lion chariot
tiranoc chariot
2x great eagle
2x RBT

VC
Lord on Dragon
Mounted Vampire BSB
Mounted Vampire
2x10 Skeletons
20 Zombies
2x7 Dire wolves
3 fell bats
varghulf
5 Blood Knights

Dwarf
2x Runesmith
1 master engineer
1 BSB
10 Thunderers
10 rangers with crossbows
24 Warriors
20 Longbeards
20 Hammerers
2 cannons
2 bolt throwers
organ gun
gyrocopter

Okay, normally the High elf player is a good player, but he pretty much lost us the game.

They got turn one, and they advanced a bit and did nothing. magic was shut down.
We advanced a bit as well (20" for the Dark riders with sorceress ^^). magick took down a boltthrower crew member. And that's pretty much everyting magic did for the whole game except for regaining a wound here and there. Shooting saw some wolves die.

Turn two.
4 Dire wolves charged my cultists. S&S killed one. However this charge allowed blood knights with 2 characters to charge a unit of dragon princes. shooting put a few wounds on the star dragon. The wolves fluffed and were hacked to pieces, just like the dragon princes. However the overrun of the blood knights set them up for a nice flank charge from my chosen who rolled poisoned attacks at start of battle. He tried to defend himself with fell bats.
Our turn. Chosen got extra attack from number of slaanesh. They charged the Fell bats. My mind was mostly on that so I don't remember well anymore. I do remember that my chosen didn't get any to wound rolls as the bats were dead by poison ^^

Turn three.
no charges as nothing had LOS or range. shooting was rather ineffective. Combat. This is were I realised my mistake of putting a champion in that unit. It had to challenge, and of course the blood knight accepted. My champion proceeded to do 3 wounds which were all regenerated. Crap. I lost combat by 1. Roll 6,5. Double crap. Flee roll 1,1. Triple crap.

The only interesting thing that happened was that the star dragon exposed itself to two cannons an organ gun and 10 rangers. It died.

So we lost mostly because of a hard magic defense on their part, a champion and stupidity on my teammates part.

Comments on cult.
The long beginning of turn step (number of slaanesh, effigy, banner of great temptator) pretty much annoyed the other players. I'm not sure if it's because they were whiners or if it really takes a long time.

The banner did absolutely nothing. It may be me but I still think it's not worth it. Altough if I would've gotten phantasmagoria it may have been different.

Chosen.
I've checked numerous times what my unit would've done with a standard bearer instead of champion. The Blood knights wouldn't have survived. So yeah I like em the way they are.

Hope it helps.
Name: Ignat (Group 39)
Class: Mage
Stats: WS4 S3 T4 D3 I4
Equipment: Staff, Short Sword, Robe.
Skills: Power of Aqshy(1), Defensive Fighting.
Inventory: Pendant
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Kensou wrote:Comments on cult.
The long beginning of turn step (number of slaanesh, effigy, banner of great temptator) pretty much annoyed the other players. I'm not sure if it's because they were whiners or if it really takes a long time.
Ok, I've taken note of that, no other such voices so far, but we'll see how it goes in future. I my own games I haven't used BotGT so far, but I've used double EoE and there were no problems... maybe I had it easier as everything in my army started out with NoS, so it was only matter of tracking what units loose it due to casualties.

I currently thinking of simplyfying the NoS a bit, so that units can only start out with it and not gain it during battle. This would still be as good for fluffy army composition and will speed it up a little, as you would only need to check the units with NoS (and in almost all cases any caualties/characters leaving will mean NoS is gone).

Kensou wrote:The banner did absolutely nothing. It may be me but I still think it's not worth it. Altough if I would've gotten phantasmagoria it may have been different.
Looks like BotGT definitly needs more playtesting - so far we've got only 2 opinions on it - your's 'not worth it' and 'definitly too powerfull/broken effect' from another player. ;)

Kensou wrote:Chosen.
I've checked numerous times what my unit would've done with a standard bearer instead of champion. The Blood knights wouldn't have survived. So yeah I like em the way they are.
I also think the current version's fine. Also, the poll so far shows that all Northern Warband Rare choices are equally attractive... not enough votes to consider it settled, but no sings of any problem too (RTB is a bit more attractive, but that's acceptable considering the background).

Thanks for your feedback so far Kensou and waiting for more reports. :)

[Edit]
Anyone tried out the Lash of Acquiesence? There seems to be no opinions on this one so far... I wonder if it's because it's balanced or raher so poor that noone even considers it. ;)
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Kensou
Black Guard

Post by Kensou »

Weenth wrote:maybe I had it easier as everything in my army started out with NoS, so it was only matter of tracking what units loose it due to casualties.

With characters in units I had everything start out with NoS as well ;)

Weenth wrote:Anyone tried out the Lash of Acquiesence? There seems to be no opinions on this one so far... I wonder if it's because it's balanced or raher so poor that noone even considers it. ;)

Actually I'm planning that for my next battle on a cold one champion. I think it's better this way because it seems a waste of a lot of high strenght attacks on a character.
Name: Ignat (Group 39)
Class: Mage
Stats: WS4 S3 T4 D3 I4
Equipment: Staff, Short Sword, Robe.
Skills: Power of Aqshy(1), Defensive Fighting.
Inventory: Pendant
Henk
Trainee Warrior

Post by Henk »

so i just played doc with cos
my amry was soemthing like:
anointed
deamon claws
regenerate first strike
barbed horse
sorceress
herald

2x20 xbowmen
21 warrios
17 deamonnetes

11 chaos knights (body guards)

2x bolt thrower
18 chosen

he had a keeper of secrets some flamers some plaguebearers with herald
deamontes and some other stuf

we basiclly massacred eachother i had my anointed and 6 knights left at the end and he a half-deads kos and some flamers and halve a unit of deamonttes

things i learned:
anointed is nasty like really nasty i casted the frenzy spell on the knights and rolled +1 attack on the last roll for favor of the drak prince my anointed ended up wih 10 attacks(5 auto +2 frenzy and favor and rolled a 5 with the +d3)

my sorceres got smashed by some deamonettes cause i misplaced her( i put her out of the xboxmen she was cause of his kos but then the other xbowmen who were fighting with his deamonettes in the tower ran and he ran into her)

he kept his kos out of danger after getting 4 wounds from 2 turns of shooting but bucthered my xbows it was a draw in the end with about 100 points difference in favor of my opponent
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Thanks for the report, henk. :)

A few questions about it:
1. From the inclusion of Anointed's bodyguards I take it you've moved to 0.965 version now? ;)

2. What were the items, gifts, mounts etc of the Sorceress and Herald? Did you use any Magic Banners on your units?

3. You've mentioned using the house rule of allowing multiplies of single item before. Was it used here too?

4. By 'Favour of the Dark Prince' do you mean 'Eye of the Dark Prince' (so the bonus was for killing enemy character in a challange) or 'Glory of the Dark Prince' (with the bonus coming from Effigy of Excess)?

Also, basing on your use of CoS so far, do you have any additional thoughts on the topics highlighted in the first post of this topic?
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Henk
Trainee Warrior

Post by Henk »

1 yes

2sorceress 2x dispel scroll
herald +2 attack thingy

3 yes but i dont think i used it

4 eye of the dark prince

thoughts no not really i think it worked fine good job to you guys overall
while its possible to do some nasty stuff with cos everything can be countered i have not noticed anything overpowered yet
Rusty
Slave on the Altar

Post by Rusty »

I participated in a local tournament recently using this list

Supreme Sorceress
Level 4
Mark of slaanesh
Tome of furion
Focus familiar
dispel scroll

sorceress (joins devoted)
Effigy of Excess
Mark of slaanesh
BSB
Rod of Binding

Dechala

Core
12 Devoted, full command
Noxious banner(poison)

18 Daemonettes, banner

18 Daemonettes, banner

Special
3 Fiends of Slaanesh

6 Shades

6 Shades

Rare
6 Chaos knights
war banner

Total 2247

I played three games in total.

#1 Mounted TK
3 units of chariots, three of light horse. King, prince, two priests. Ushabti, carrion, Bone Giant.

Terrain was several impassable rock formations spread across the battlefield. I managed to squeeze my troops in the centre and had both flanks protected by terrain.

The ensuing game was a head-on engagement that seriously disfavoured the TK player. Solid Victory to me.
The effigy was important in giving bonuses to the units fighting at any one time. +1 A on chaos knights were nice. Combined with Dechala and a unit of daemonettes they ate the Tomb King and Bone Giant with little problem.

A high point was dancing the Tomb Prince to death with the daemon spell (name?)

The TK player were in a difficult position from the start here, so I don't think he could have done much to change the outcome.

#2 Shooty WE
This was a table with five woods altogether, and my skinny and lightly dressed army staring into a long line of wood elf bows: glade riders, 30 glade guard, , two large units of dryads, war dancers, dryads, Ancient treeman, treeman, mage, alter. Ouch.

I was extremely happy to get first turn, and ran full tilt forwards, with only the shades providing covering fire. Losses were high, but I managed to catch the Ancient with the devoted and bring him down eventually. Heaps of poisoned attacks with hatred does wonders. Having said that, the devoted were horribly vulnerable to bowfire and if my opponent had shot them earlier I would have been in trouble. As it were I lost all of the devoted and the supreme sorceress I had foolishly placed in the unit.

Elsewhere, magic and shade fire took down two gg units, while Dechala and some daemonettes rampaged through wardancers. Dechala proceeded to take out a unit of glade guard and two units of dryad, before she helped out in taking down the last treeman. She's a real monster facing wood elves if she can survive until she's in Close combat. Finally, my chaos knights bounced off the treeman on the first try, but took him down on a later attempt with help from daemonettes and Dechala.

The Effigy survived through it all and took the last wounds of the Ancient and second treeman. The blessings didn't do quite as much this game, but that's due to bad planning on my part.

Solid Victory by one very bloody point.

#3 Skaven mixed horde

Oh oh. The guy on the other side of table was a math major, and it showed in his manouvering. I've played this guy two times before and all had been very tactical, very draining games. Same this time.

He had a mixed horde of skaven; Bell/seer, wheel, rats, rats, rats of various descriptions.

My main problem was getting through his slaves to do some real damage. Every model I lost was a blow, but he could take of entire units and just shrug. I managed to sneak Dechala through, attempting to assasinte the seer and she took two wounds of him. Of course, then there was Skalm. At least she killed the Engineer in the units before she had to retreat. He also had some good luck with his random effects, killing half a daemonette unit with a pocket rocket and eating another one wholesale with flanking giant rats (because of the beastmaster SC). In the end I was outmanouvered and suffered a minor loss. Well deserved.

Closing thoughts
The CoS was fun to play, challenging and varied. I had no complaints from my opponents on using the list. Neither could I find anything particularly overpowering.

Will definitively try the list again, using some other setup. Love the Effigy!
Theirs not to wonder why
Theirs not to give reply
Theirs but to do and die