The 7th ed. Cult of Slaanesh project - Closed

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

Yee assume right :)
Thanks for the speedy reply!

The effigy is on a base size that doesn't fit very nicely in with devoted (50mm, as opposed to 40 or 60). Should this change? the Grail Reliquae is on a 40mm?

Good work on the list though, keep it up!
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Mr_PieChee wrote:The effigy is on a base size that doesn't fit very nicely in with devoted (50mm, as opposed to 40 or 60). Should this change? the Grail Reliquae is on a 40mm?

Good work on the list though, keep it up!
Thanks! :)

As for the Effigy, I'd rather stay with 50x100. The reasons are:

- It's in line with Warshrine and the Corpse Cart, which are most similiar things existing in game.
- It makes place for bigger and more interesting conversions... which makes it look better. ;) It should be an Altar, not a couple of relics carried about (and that's how GR basically looks).
- I've used Effigy in a unit of 12 Devoted and it looks very good - basicaly gives 5x4 block, only a bit wider than usual (due to extra 1 cm on Effigy) and the Effigy base is a bit longer, but it looks ok. With 5 ranks it would be exactly same length. I don't think anyone will run Devoted in units deeper than 5 ranks, so it's width shouldn't be a problem (BTW providing ranks is another useful function of EoE ;) ).
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

I've given 6 polls to check how Hero section of the CoS list is percieved. Here are the links:

Poll #4

Poll #5

Poll #6

Poll #7

Poll #8

Poll #9

Also, if anyone has more playtesting feedback please post it. ;)
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Henk
Trainee Warrior

Post by Henk »

hey i read your list and have a few questions comments

the ddeamon claws it says it counts as 2 hand weapons and gives +d3 attacks
does this you het 1(from it being two weapons)+d3 or does the +d3 replace the normal extra attack and how does this work if the character is mounted.

i really like what you have done with the anointed but why did you reduce his toughness to 4 because i thought besides it being cool that there finally was an elf who had more than 3 thoughness (besides malekith) but really lore wise it makes i mean c'mon hes a halfdemon and i dont think its really unbalenced or anything rather just a little soemthing that makes the anointed unique.

that's everything so far one of my friends plays dark elfs and next time we play a game il ask him to plan COS and post the results
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

The whole theme of the list if deadly but fragile. The anointed steps aside slightly from this, as a bridge between Druchii and Chaos, but importantly he is a bridge between them, not a tank that might as well be a Chaos lord.
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

henk wrote:hey i read your list and have a few questions comments

the ddeamon claws it says it counts as 2 hand weapons and gives +d3 attacks
does this you het 1(from it being two weapons)+d3 or does the +d3 replace the normal extra attack and how does this work if the character is mounted.
As with all magic items specifically described as AHW, spears, GW or another type, all usual rules for that type apply, so:

- +D3 Attacks is on top of usual +1 for AHW

- there is no rule preventing mounted character from using AHW, although he doesn't gain the usual +1A bonus for it. Therefore mounted character using DC simply gets +D3 Attacks (and all his attacks are armour piercing due to the item too).

As for Anointed, Mr_PieChee already gave the main reason, so just a few more points:

- As Herald of Slaanesh T value and comparison of Daemon Prince/Chaos Lord stats suggest, being even a full daemon doesn't automatically make one tougther; so while T4 could be argued (it's still less than Chaos Lord) it's IMO in no way forced by fluff.

- T5 as an option on elf character (T4 with AoLD or SoG) IMO feels wrong, both fluff-wise and in terms of what the theme of CoS list is.

- I think Anointed is quite unique as he is, even moreso with T3 - he's on par or even better in offence than Chaos Lord, but still requires different approach than WoC characters.

I suspect that if you try out the Anointed in practice, you'll find him worthy, even with regular elven T3. If not, you still have T4 Marauder Warlord and if you want high-T, high-S, mulitattack, costy bastard you can always go for KoS. ;)

henk wrote:that's everything so far one of my friends plays dark elfs and next time we play a game il ask him to plan COS and post the results
Looking forward to that. :) More playtesting feedback is always welcome.
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Update (v.0.965)

I haven't finished layout changes yet (it requires quite a bit of work to get everything right, especially as I'm doing it in AdobeDesign and the current file is done is Word), but as there's again quite a lot of small and not so small rules changes, I've decided to upload update now, in the old form.

Still, I've implemented some of the simple changes (the font & color) to the current file - hopefully no problems with B&W printing from now on. ;)

And here's what has changed:

Characters
- removed the Masque from SC section (a bit too good for her points, not CoS-specific character and there are other 'daemonic' CoS characters in the works)
- Changed The Shornall’s Scale (Isormre’s item) description – should be clearer now.
- removed ‘Exalted’ upgrade for Master (will be back as SC)
- added Arch-servant rule to KoS (always subject to NoS)
- changed price of Herald of Slaanesh (was too cheap compared to other melee-oriented heroes available to CoS)

Units
- replaced Chaos Warriors with Chosen
- added Lost and Forgotten rule to Spawn of Slaanesh (never subject to GotDP)
- changed name of Spawn ASF rule from Mark of Slaanesh to Unnatural Swiftness (to keep things in line)
- 1 pt rise on the Cultists’ price (11 pts now)

Items/Gifts
- clarified Armour of Living Death and Potion of Strengh descriptions.
- modified Favoured Servant gift (always subject to NoS)
- renamed Quickening Blood gift to Unnatural Swiftness (to keep in line with DoC daemonic gift name)
- changed description of Temptator daemonic gift (now clearer)
- changed price of Siren Song gift (as it’s a bit better than dwarf rune of similar effect)*

Other
- modified Northern Warband rule (now allows one Warriors/Knights unit as retinue – Special slot)
- ‘Eye of the Pleasure God’ and ‘Glory of the Pleasure God’ renamed to ‘Eye of the Dark Prince’ and ‘Glory of the Dark Prince’ respectively
- changed 'Glory of the Dark Prince' rule (now NoS gives re-roll instead of +/-1 modifier)
- modified ‘Eye of the Dark Prince’ rule (now allows for re-roll of ‘wasted’ bonuses)
- changed names of some bonuses in EotDP table
- corrected some typos
- small formal changes (font/colors)

*I've also considered making Siren Song KoS-only item, but decided to see first if it's still so good with new price (as most DG are 25 pts it severly limits the choice) and more expensive Herald.

As for future updates, other than layout changing, there are now a couple of Special Characters in the works. These are:

Slaaran,the Favoured/Daemon Kin/something-else (I'm still thinking of appropriate title ;) ) - Daemon-Prince, ex-Anointed character

Raeghneil,the Possesed - to put it short: a Sorceress who failed

###,the Exalted (name to be invented yet) - comeback of Exalted upgrade in new form

N'Kari,the Despoiler of Ulthuan - the Slaaneshi Nemesis of High Elves in new version

Slaaran rules are ready, I still have to write down his background in acceptable form - you can expect him in the CoS SC topic in a few days.

As usuall, feedback welcome - especially from your playtesting experience with this updated list. :)

EDIT: Two new polls to check the internal balance of the current list:

Poll #10
Poll #11
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

projects been quiet for a while - any progress? All the polls seem to be lacking votes, which I guess is why everythings slowed.
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Mr_PieChee wrote:projects been quiet for a while - any progress? All the polls seem to be lacking votes, which I guess is why everythings slowed.
Sorry for the lack of updates. The main reason is that project became effectively a one-person undertaking and I'm afraid my interest in WFB as whole is waning.

I don't like where GW is heading with new ABs and decided to look for other games that might offer better grounds for combining fun & competition. As I really love Warhammer background, I'm still sticking to it and am currently trying out Mordheim (it's also easier to bring new people into it than WFB, as my own collection of miniatures sufficeses for large part of Warbands, so they don't have to buy anything if they don't want to). If it works well you can expect unofficial Cult of Slaanesh Warband rules - currently in early draft. ;) .

Anyway, from the feedback and games I've had up to day with CoS army, it looks like the list works well, requiring at most small tweaks. So, what the book requires yet to be finished is:

- few rules tweaks (ready, waiting on my computer)

- new special character rules & background (all SC I've listed, which do not have rules published here so far are more-or-less ready; some of their rules might need balancing and background fleshing out and/or writing down in readable form)

- background material (little of it ready, nothing new since I've written about it last time)

- art (also nothing new - only few pictures so far)

- new layout (part of the Magic Items section redone in new style, although in separate file, as I do it in InDesign, wheras current version is done in Word)

Now, as I wrote above, I don't have much personal interest in these, as it looks like I won't be playing WFB anytime soon. Still, I might take time to do at least part of it, if there are people interested in my work. So, the big question (especially in the light of low number of votes in polls) is:

How many people are interested in progress of this project and intend to use the CoS list?

The amount of work I'm willing to take will rely on this - at the very least I'll upload file including afforementioned rules tweaks; I can finish SCs and new layout if there's demand for that too. I'll leave the background out, unless there's considerable amount of people interested.
I'm tempted to do some art just for the pleasure of it, although since I'm short on time ATM and I've got plenty of graphic art at work, demand for it might help geting the motivation. ;)

I assume I can count you as one interested person so far, Mr_PieChee? ;)
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

I love the project, and how its progressed! My only problem is i never get enough games in with any army. For the last couple of years i haven't really bought anything new because i've got so much sitting around waiting to be done and i just don't have the time at the moment. Its annoying cause i love the game - just finding opponents to play when i'm free is hard.

Anyway, I would love to see the last few tweaks done - i Still have every intention of playing the list (haven't played any games since i posted before the summer saying i would try to play test the list). Brought my eldar with me to uni this year, and they haven't left there case yet. Just finding the time!

There used to be a huge following for the cult so not sure where it went - I would like to think that the list is being used, just the players aren't posting there results... For me the list is all about the gaming, and so the background can stay in the forums, however I'm always happy to see lots of artwork, so if your happy to add that in, I think it would be great!

well that's my $0.02 anyway... (thats allot more than i intended to write!)
Oliver the anointed
Slave on the Altar

Post by Oliver the anointed »

I would love to see the new Special Characters.
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Ok, so only few people showing up so far, but what you two are interested in will surely be done ;) - although ATM I can't spare even an hour to this project (bah, I envy people who are free from work between Christmas and New Year ;( ), you still can expect updated rules (still with old layout) very soon after New Year and I'll post remining special characters as soon as each of them is more-or-less finished. I'll put them in SC development topic, as it'd be hard to consider them balanced without at least some playtesting; if I happen to play any more WFB games (my friend instists that we continue, just 'freezing time' and ignoring future ABs) and/or get feedback on from your games, then - probably after further tweaks - they'll get into the main file).

As for the waning following of the cult... I've seen quite a few Slaanesh-themed armies using regular DE list, so I think it's more rules than fluff and that there are two main reasons:

1. Many people don't want to use an unofficial list - either because they prefere 'officialness' themselves, or they want to play at tournaments and/or with people not accepting unofficial rules.

2. Some people (I'd say - sadly large part of players) prefere regular DE because they like to have powerfull army (even if they would deny being powergamers... 'it's not the list, it's me, as I'm simply superior general' is so tempting an explanation.. :roll: ). And DE are one of the most powerfull books out there, in the top three, just behind DoC and VC (or even on par with VC according to some).

The CoS list is weaker than that, so that it's both more on level with other books and easier to be accepted by opponent... that's the way it was intended, but it doesn't mean that everybody has to like it that way.
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Update (v.0.967)

So, I've finally finished and uploaded the rules update. I'm very busy now, so it will probably be over a month before I'll have time to get back to finishing named characters. As for the rules, current version should be and - as far as I can tell - is balanced, so if you think something still needs correction, let me know.

Changes in this update:
- New Special Character - Slaanar, the Heir of Slaanesh (Daemon Prince)
- Changed Number of Slaanesh rule (no longer possible to gain bonus mid-battle, you can only start with it)
- Modified Northern Warband rule (Retinue of Knights of Slaanesh now counts as one Rare choice & solved the problem of multiple Anointed).
- Cold One only allowed as a mount for marked characters, but gets cheaper (restriction is fluff-based and reduction in price compensates for the fact that on a Marked character Fear-causing is less usefull, but the Stupidity is still as bad)
- Ring of Hotek is 35 pts now
- Pendant of Khaelteh is ‘SS/Sorceress only’ rather than for models without armour.
- Siren Song is 35 pts now (so that Herald cannot combine it with other gifts bar Torment Blade)
- Some typos removed & other small lingual corrections
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Oliver the anointed
Slave on the Altar

Post by Oliver the anointed »

Is that it then? This project is closed?

I'd hoped N'Kari will be on the list, but apparently Weenth doesn't have the time.
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Though not closed, the project is indeed suspended. Still, N'Kari actually is the one that needs least work of the yet unfinished special characters. Hopefully I could finish him and post his rules (maybe 2 versions if I cannot see clear advantage of either of gift variants) during the weekend; if not, then by the end of the month surely.

The current state of SCs in the works is:

N'Kari, the Despoiler of Ulthuan - Rule-wise almost ready; it's a cross-over between Dangerous Beans' version and my own idea; the only big thing that needs clarification yet is his new unique Gift (allows him to affect the enemy units' minds and by this mess a bit with deployment) - I've got two different ideas how it should work rule-wise. No point cost as yet, but apart from afforementioned gift it should be quite easy to calculate. As for background, there's the compilation of his official fluff done by DB, I think it will suffice for now.

Raeghneil, the Possesed - first draft of rules ready, but without points (it's rather untypical character, so it's hard to find direct comparisons with other things); as for her background I've got general idea, although not sufficently filled with details yet;
short version: a Sorceress, who failed a ritual she shouldn't have tried herself (probably KoS summoning) and is now possessed (or rather - 'easily possessable' - an open chanel for various daemonic beings rather than permanent host for one daemon); Morathi keeps her alive as an example for those who would try gaining power behind her back. Raeghneil is chained to EoE, which sometimes, although rarely goes to battlefield (general vision of miniature: a hovering altar, with possesed Sorceress at it's centre, lashing with chaos energy at everything around it; surrounding it are six devoted, who try to controll its movement by grabbing the chains attached to it)

###, the Exalted - Almost ready rules (just need to consider if she's actually game-wise an attractive choice in this form, as 'regular' Exalted wasn't ). Still no name and no background though and IMO solely rules don't make a good SC. Two most interesting features to base her story around are her advancement on path to damnation (she's no Anointed, but in relatively short time she became far more corrupted by Chaos than any other Devoted) and the bound item she has (new version of classic Slaaneshi spell from RoCh ;] ), though I've yet to come up with something interesting from that.
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Henk
Trainee Warrior

Post by Henk »

hey i just wanted to say im still intrested in this project and wil try to get a game in with the list as soon as i can, also if you need any help with it if you start again i would like to help you. ill post the results if i play a game with the list.
Henk
Trainee Warrior

Post by Henk »

Is this still going to be finished? I recently started warhammer again and i would like to offer my help if this is still going to be finished.
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Hi :)

The short answer is - there won't be more than there is, at least from me, as I'm practically out of WH now. So, unless someone takes it on from now it won't reach the stage of full AB with background, ilustrations etc.

However, what there is, is playable and balanced 7th ed list with full rules for fielding Cult of Slaanesh. The only drawback It's got a bit fewer Special Characters than current books, though IMO that's a minor one, as there are still six entries included, even seven if you include N'Kari (whose rules are complete, though not playtested and can be found here: http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... c&start=37 ).

As Warhammer is at 8th ed. now I think you can considered 7th ed CoS list Project closed.

I don't think there's many people who still play 7th ed, and have no idea if any of them is interested in using this list. I also haven't played a single game of 8th edition and have no idea how the list performes or if it's still balanced in the context of the new ruleset. Seeing how official 7th ed books balance suffered from the edition change I suspect CoS would also need at least a few tweaks and maybe even some big changes. If you or anyone else is interested in making 8th ed CoS list, feel free to use this one as a base. :)
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here