[PLOG] The Attack!

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

I'm not sure i like the look of them anymore. They dont really look as good as i was hoping. Painting those just isnt as much fun as painting my heroes, so my attention to details seems to go down.

Skot
Warrior

Post by Skot »

Hi there :)

I really enjoy your painting - really great job and all. Honestly threw I think the cold ones are not up to your skill (that you showed before). I'm definatelly not the best painter in the world but seing your previous model I'm certain it's not the lack of skill. Perhaps higlight the "lighter" scales once more with only parts of the area (not the whole scale) - I think that this is why the cold ones seems "flat" - each scale is picked out perfectly but they are not higlighted themselves and they look a bit flat. I believe that higlighting edges of those scales in some lighter colour would do the trick. Perhaps something like this (I know it is the old cold one but I don't have the new one ...):

I would post picture here but I have no idea how to resize it :/

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/ ... /prawa.jpg
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

really nice schema for your CO, as Skot said..an additional highlight in the scales would look nice
Death before dishonor
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

played my first 1500 pts game against Skaven today, a massacre.

He had :
mage lvl1 on furnace with 28 plague monk
1 assassin

2 pack of 25-30 clanrat
1 Rat Swarm
2 pack of little rat with handler
2 pack of 20 slaves
1 Doomwheel.

i had :
1 Sorceress lvl2 with sacrifical Dagger
1 Death Hag with Chauldron and BSB
1 Assasin with AHW and Manbane

2x10 Crossbowman
10 Corsairs with Handbow
17 Warrior with Shield and FC
2x5 Harpy

5 Cold One with FC and NullTalisman
10 Black Guard with ASF and FC

Basically it came down to this :
- Magic works wonder with Sacrifical Dagger. I'm definately going "Magic heavy" on my 2250 list (lvl3+lvl1+some defense). I took lore of Death, landing spell #1 and #3, but didnt quite deliver as i was hoping.
- took me 2 round of shooting with my 2 squad of crossbowman to take down the furnace.
- Chauldron is amazing. +1 attack on BG can really turn the tide of a battle.

Took me awhile to get used to T3, but i think i'm going to really enjoy this. Now i gotta get painting and assembling, because the next tournament is in 6 weeks, and i only have my hero painted....
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

After one win, i realized that a Death Hag with Chauldron of Blood is an amazing BSB. So here comes my first very simple "conversion", a Witch Elf turned into a Death Hag BSB.

You can also see in the background my Cold One Rider. Right now there's only the gold basecoat painted. I want them finished by next sunday... gonna be a long week.

Mithrilforge
Trainee Warrior

Post by Mithrilforge »

hey nice Hag BSB ! simple but very effective from the looks of it.
I cant see it from the angle shown but are you continuing
the standards pole down below the fist?
and also how does it fit in with some ranked up Black guard?

cheers Mithril
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

Mithrilforge wrote:hey nice Hag BSB ! simple but very effective from the looks of it.
I cant see it from the angle shown but are you continuing
the standards pole down below the fist?
and also how does it fit in with some ranked up Black guard?

cheers Mithril
no, actually, i only saw off the blade... not sure of the final look, but from her pose, it made more sense if she was holding the banner as a sword than a big wooden pole... at some point i though that it might look nice to put some blade on top of the banner, but after much thinking, figured it would just look silly.

Quite frankly, i'm not really bothering with how it ranks with BG, since it will be used on my Cauldron at all time.

And now, i need input. Here is an idea i had for my presentation board. Since my army has pretty much all ruins under their feet, i figured it would be interesting if i could make my army as if they were looting a Slaanesh Temple. And to add some live to that Presentation Board, i figured i could add in some combat so everyone dont look too static...

My 1st idea is to have my 20 Crossbowman surrounding a Chaos Spawn in Slaanesh color.

Here is a rough idea of what i mean :

Now here comes the problem. Since i'm slowly running out of premade base (and i dont want someone to cast them for me other than the seller himself), i need to build myself some...

I have two idea.

1st, is to remove the elevated part around the Chaos Spawn, and have all my Crossbowman on some kind of high ground made of cork. I have 2 different thickness, so the one in center could be a bit lower. But they'll all basically be at the same ground level as the spawn.

2nd idea is to keep the spawn below ground level (as shown on picture), and still have all my crossbow man elevated on their cork base.

Here's the two thickness i'm talking about.

Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

Decided to go for 2 different height ; gonna be much easier to rank them in two rank, and i think it will help the display. Once its dry, i'll base it a bit more than it is right now, i want it to kinda melt with the rest of my base, so i'll need to add some little rock, sand, etc.

The BSB is done. Most people wont like it because it still has piece of the sword in her hand, because the flag is too big, or too heavy, but i think it look fine, and if i ever am able to get decent freehand, i'm gonna finish it.

Mithrilforge
Trainee Warrior

Post by Mithrilforge »

hey she got done fast :o !!
the cork bases look good with the differing heights,back rank higher of course ;)
may i ask what standard you give the hag BSB...since she's always with the COB,i was wondering your tactics with her??

Cheers Mithril
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

Mithrilforge wrote:hey she got done fast :o !!
the cork bases look good with the differing heights,back rank higher of course ;)
may i ask what standard you give the hag BSB...since she's always with the COB,i was wondering your tactics with her??

Cheers Mithril
strictly to reroll failed test. Since the COB stays in the back, and her and her minion hit like a ton of brick, its a pretty safe BSB. also considering "protecting her" a bit more with Cry of War and WitchBrew. Still playtesting this.

If after a few dozen games i realize she's not a good BSB, i can always go back to the real Death Hag, and put this one in the closet. Wont care much to do that to a free mini
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

nice painting for the BSB..but this flag needs a freehand yet!
Death before dishonor
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

gotta love the mailman... i just received :
15 Black Guard (2 standard + 1 Command)
1 Hydra
2 RBT
8 Gladerider

Nothing really interesting to report, i been assembling Warrior, priming my crossbowman, and making tray for my army. My CoK are slowly taking shape, and i should be able to post some progress picture tomorrow.

My 2nd and 3rd game are planned thursday, and i'm undecided on what to bring ; either i bring the same list i played last time, or i try to include some Dark Rider in the lot.

List #1
Sorceress lvl2 w/ Sacrifical Dagger + TomeOfFurion
(had a DispelScroll last time, but i think an extra spell makes more sense with a Sacrifical Dagger)

Death Hag w/ ChauldronOfBlood + BattleStandard

Assassin w/ AHW + Manbane

2x10 Crossbowman
10 Corsairs w/ Musician + Handbow
15 Warrior w/ Musician + Lordling
5 Harpy
5 Dark Rider w/ Crossbow

5 CoK w/ DreadKnight + StandardBearer + NullTalisman

10 Black Guard w/ Full Command + Standard Of Hag Graeff + Ring Of Hotek

List #2
Same as above, but :
1 - switch Tome with a Dispel Scroll
2 - add 3 warrior, give them shield, and replace DR with 5 Harpy
3 - Give CoK Full command.
Mithrilforge
Trainee Warrior

Post by Mithrilforge »

ooh black guard,hydra & RBT's...im jealous of your mailbox :P
Keep the Dark riders with x-bows and try em,they are really good at killing warmachine crew from a safe distance with the xbows and just for harrasing flanks.
cheers Mithril
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

I played 2 game last thursday against Lizardman and Skaven in 1500 pts...

I had roughly the same list as last time

1- Lizardman had an engine of god, with 2 big block of saurus (some with shield, some with spears), 1 group of skinks and 1 group of 2 salamanders.

took me 4 turn to take down the priest on the stegadon (damn bubble anti-shooting), so he had time to do his little explosion on most of my army 2 turns, which pretty much owned them all. All my Dark Rider managed to do was keep one of his big unit of Saurus buzy by running around them.... suffice to say, i was massacred.

2- Skaven had a pretty "soft" list with 2 lvl2 Mage, a doomwheel, a pack of gutter runner, and a bunch of skaven (no plague monk or anything of pestilence). Bad deployment on my part due to range of ring of hotek made my BlackGuard completely useless and right in front of the doomwheel... Never managed to do anything to it. My CoK went stupid twice in the game and my magic didnt do much, so once again, i was massacred.

One thing i noticed ; if people wanna keep on bringing stuff with T6, i wont feel too bad bringing my hydra. It might not be as powerfull as the Doomwheel, but at least it will keep them busy.

Strategy wise, i gotta least to make better deployment. Screening my BlackGuard is good, but i gotta watch to keep them far enough away from my Mages so i dont get her to miscast too. I tried the "rush the mage with harpy and hope for the best" and WS3 S3 dont do it for me, even with 3 attacks.

My list need to be updated. Next game i'm bringing 2 lvl2 mages (to "dominate" the magical phase) and a hydra. Having the bare minimum spell caster ain't enough to get spells through. All i managed to do was get him to use his 2 Dispell Scroll in the first 2 round, withouth doing much damage...

At least, these games helped me deciding to go heavy magic for my 2250 list.
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

well, i ain't giving up yet.

Completed my Cold One as expected about a week ago, but a bad cold kept me from doing much.

February is a big month for me, since there's only 1 month left before the big tournament. With over 60 models to paint, I'm not too confident into playing a fully painted army. The good news is that i don't really care if i play with an unpainted army.

So first, here's a picture of my Cold one. I'm really happy with the gold ; even if you cant see it in the picture, the final highlight is almost pure mithril, giving it a really shiny feel.

And about half of what i have to complete this month is on this table :
6 Harpies (Should be getting 4-8 more soon)
20 Crossbowman
20 Speaman + Unit Filler (actually, just a 40x40 base like all my others)
5 Dark Rider
Not showing on the picture :
10 Corsairs with Handbow
10 BlackGuard
1 Hydra
2 Bolt Throwers
Desmodeus
Executioner

Post by Desmodeus »

You'll be busy then!

You might have hated painting those Cold Ones, but the full, final modle really looks amazing, it was worth it.
Anast: Ws4 S3 T3 D4 I4 0G
Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak, lock-picks, choke-wire
Skills: Basic Stealth, Wilderness Lore
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Post by Saori_nightstar »

I really like the soceress!! the blending of the 2 colours is realli good! Cant wait to see a pic of the finnished model. The witch elf with the banner turned out well good! at first i was not sure but i really like the finnished model. Brilliant baseing BTW :)
Image Image Image
Lil' Waaagh Army | DRUCHII PLOG

'I may have the week and feeble body of a woman, I but I can assure you, I have the heart and stomach of a King!' - Elizabeth I
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

kind of loss motivation after many bad comments on my painting that left a sour taste in my mouth,so for the past 2 weeks or so, i did very little on my little guys.

March tournament will have to be played with my Ogres unfortunately, since pretty much no core has been painted yet.

I did start working on a little project, namely getting an hydra that will stand out of the crowd. Nothing too fancy, and definately something that been done before, but with its base, i think it will be awesome.

And yes, i'm hoping to have it all stand on one leg and its tail.
Farodin
Assassin

Post by Farodin »

That's a really nice army you got there. That BSB looks a lot like my own xD. I love those cold ones and the Cauldron is amazing too.
I'm not fond of the skincolour you used, but that's personal taste I guess, you did painted it well so, not a big complaint;).

The bases are very nice too mate!
Can't wait to see the Hydra painted,

-farodin
We are Druchii, the cold-hearted blades of destiny.
We shall cut through the world and bring forth Khaine's Kingdom...
...and all shall know their masters
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

Coughed my ass off for the past 3 weeks, so been really hard to concentrate on painting, which comes to a very bad time.

I'm still painting those damn Crossbowman, but i think they're coming out nicely.

Right now, those 2 are about 80% done. Still left to do :
Highlight on Blue cloth
Weapon
Shoulders pad...

and its the last part that i'm not sure about. I have two option : either go with the basic metallic color like the rest of the armor (might avoid the blue wash), or go like the rest of my army (CoK and heroes) and paint their shoulder golden. If i chose the later, i though i could try to highlight them a bit less, so they look less.... expensive, or exclusive.

Two alternative

My current paint scheme
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

falling way behind on schedule, but i'm slowly progressing.

First, my Hydra. Didnt finish the GS work on its neck yet, but the base is pretty much "finished".

A Chaos spawn being walked on will help it keep its balance. Going to paint it the Slaanesh way (nice way to say its gonna be hot pink, right?)

And my first 90% finished Crossbowman. Still need to highlight the blue cloth. Rest is pretty much finished. I'm such a slow painter, those must have taken me roughly 40 hours total.....

Desmodeus
Executioner

Post by Desmodeus »

Enkiel wrote:I'm such a slow painter, those must have taken me roughly 40 hours total.....

Might have more to do with how much effort you put into each model!
Anast: Ws4 S3 T3 D4 I4 0G
Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak, lock-picks, choke-wire
Skills: Basic Stealth, Wilderness Lore
Durloth
Highborn

Post by Durloth »

There is some really good stuff here:) Nice to see how much your skill have progressed since the first couple of models in this plog. My only critisism would have to be that, while your individual models look great, your lack of a coherrent scheme will really retract from the look of the army as a whole.
...Some are born to sweet delight
Some are born to endless night...

My Dark Elf army: http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?p=785039#785039

My general WFB plog: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190654
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

Durloth wrote:My only critisism would have to be that, while your individual models look great, your lack of a coherrent scheme will really retract from the look of the army as a whole.
Really?

I though i was doing pretty well...

Blue cloth on all.
All the leather has the same color
Gold shoulder plate on everyone.

I have to admit that the green is not there on my crossbowman, but they dont really have any cape, or anything beside their coat under the chainmail...
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

Best deal ever? must not be too far...

13 Executioner (2 missing sword)
6 Shade
22 Witch Elf

all with FC.

all this for 25$ CDN