D.R.A.I.C.H. 8th: Who wants to give a hand?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Do you intend to participate into the new 8th D.R.A.I.C.H.

Poll ended at Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:15 pm

I'd like to run the D.R.A.I.C.H. myself, along with Calisson or possibly replacing him (please send PM)
4%
I'd like to upgrade one or more articles I wrote for 7th D.R.A.I.C.H. (please specify below)
22%
I'd like to participate somehow (please develop below)
48%
I don't intend to participate but I'd like to view the poll results.
26%

Total votes: 27

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

D.R.A.I.C.H. 8th: Who wants to give a hand?

Post by Calisson »

Hi.

With the coming of the new edition next month, the present D.R.A.I.C.H. will be, for most of it, instantaneously outdated.

We need a new one.
The present D.R.A.I.C.H. will be moved to the Hall of Fame and a new thread with the same title will be created in the tactics forum, with a link to the old D.R.A.I.C.H. and to some still relevant sub-threads (including all comprehensive articles).

Unless anyone submits me a better idea, the new D.R.A.I.C.H. would keep basically the same structure as the present one (to be adjusted according to the actual rulebook):

1. Table of Contents
2. Druchii for the beginner
3. Units
4. Characters
5. Army List Creation
6. Playing the game, General Tactics
7. Starting the game
8. Psychology
9. Movement
10.Magic
11.Missiles
12.Melee
13.Knowing your enemy
14.Complementary material
15.The D.R.A.I.C.H. Best Of.

To fill it up, I could do the same as for the present D.R.A.I.C.H.: simply hyperlinking interesting conversations, and encouraging authors to write full articles, initially based on theoryhammer, later on based on actual experience.

I would like to call the authors of the present comprehensive D.R.A.I.C.H. articles to "upgrade" them with the next rules. The articles about the units and the anti-strategy are based more on the army book than on the rules, so the transformation should not be overwhelming.
This transformation is naturally better done by the original authors, but if they decline to do it, someone else could do the job.

Besides the new D.R.A.I.C.H., on July 10th, when I'll get my hands on my new BRB, I intend to create a series of new threads in order to canalize the discussions that will flourish:
DE Units in the 8th edition
DE Characters in the 8th edition
DE Army Lists in the 8th edition
Evolution of Tactics in the 8th edition
Psychology in the 8th edition
Movement in the 8th edition
Magic in the 8th edition
Missiles in the 8th edition
Melee in the 8th edition
Impact of the 8th edition on other armies army lists and tactics
Tournaments in the 8th edition
(possible other threads according to the actual content).
Last edited by Calisson on Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Hi Calisson,

Time depending I'd like to do as much as I can to help, but at a minimum I'd like to update my WoC Know Thy Enemy Section.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Thanks.
WoC is yours.

If anyone wonders who polled the first option of the poll, that is me.
By the way, I am serious about this first option. Getting another D.R.A.I.C.H. Captain onboard is a real option that I wish someone would consider.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

I would be happy to update all my threads but will probably be a while before I'd be confident on the new tactics. Looks like 8th is going to be considerably different from 7th at the moment.
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Tzelok
Beastmaster

Post by Tzelok »

Well I will be playing a lot vs beastmen and using my executioners a lot. I would love to write either or both if time permits. Calisson I would offer to take the helm but at the moment I am doing full time work, full time school, starting a band, and starting a business...my plate's a tad full :P
Army Plog Below:
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=63015

Scratch Built Druchii Tower:
http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=67976&highlight=

The League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Bitterman
Beastmaster

Post by Bitterman »

I'd love to contribute somehow (...assuming I play 8th Ed, which is in the balance at this time) but I'm not sure I'd be much use - I'm still learning stuff from the current DRAICH, I've not historically been a particularly good DE general and although my results are improving since joining druchii.net I'm not sure I'll be in much of a position to give advice to others. Still, anything I can do to help out...
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Bitterman wrote:I'm not sure I'd be much use - I'm still learning stuff from the current DRAICH, I've not historically been a particularly good DE general and although my results are improving since joining druchii.net I'm not sure I'll be in much of a position to give advice to others.
:lol:
Speaking for myself:
- What I've learned from the current D.R.A.I.C.H. is a lot more than what I've put in it.
Actually, the greatest help comes from the article one writes himself, and I did my share.
A lot of help comes from the articles one reads, and there are many of them, all useful.
- so far, I've played exclusively against my two sons, 36 games only since 7th ed DE exist and my winning rate is more encouraging to them than to me.

With this pitiful record, how did I dare to start the D.R.A.I.C.H. at all? :roll:
Pretty much anyone could replace me; it requires dedication, not skill.

Conclusion: one need not necessarily to be proficient to help other people, one needs above all to dare. 8)
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

I plan on reviewing the articles I wrote and rewriting them with 8th info. (If I can think of anything coherent to say :lol: )
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

If you're interested in getting more assistance in managing the D.R.A.I.C.H., perhaps you could give a summary of the responsibilities and regular tasks that are involved?
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

Gonna get my hands dirty again and try to do a better job with the Ogres D.R.A.I.C.H v8.0
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

@ everyone: Thank you for volunteering. Glad that the D.R.A.I.C.H. spirit is still alive! :D

Tethlis wrote:If you're interested in getting more assistance in managing the D.R.A.I.C.H., perhaps you could give a summary of the responsibilities and regular tasks that are involved?
That would be:
- to encourage D.R.A.I.C.H. would-be authors to write comprehensive articles (this is the most difficult part - it requries some leadership and imagination - the present thread is an example);
- to collect hyperlinks to threads which may not be of D.R.A.I.C.H. quality but provide some valuable information anyhow (this requires the most deddication - see the number of edits in the D.R.A.I.C.H.);
- to organize the D.R.A.I.C.H. collection as required (not much work on that one).
A D.R.A.I.C.H. Captain is not necessarily required to write D.R.A.I.C.H. articles himself.
By the way, I became a member of D.net Mod's team thanks to the D.R.A.I.C.H., that was an unplanned consequence.

I'm interested in receiving assistance (and sharing the fame), not only to divide the burden but also to bring in new ideas.
Also, I'm not eternal, having identified a possible relief is a safe way to go.
Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

I can probably give some heads up to how tomb kings work in 8th edition and the best ways to take them down, even though I have a feeling it is only going to get easier to kill them than before.
If I had a knife I would shoot you
Yagdresil
Slave (off the Altar)

DRAICH helping

Post by Yagdresil »

I am a new player to the game, but i enjoy it very much. I would love to help out as much as I can, because since i started playing these boards have been an absolutely wonderful place to get information about the game.

I am willing to do whatever those who write the articles would need help with, I think i will need a bit more experience myself before I take a try at writting DRIACH articles myself.

Let me know what you need and I would love to help.

Yagdresil
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Yagdresil, the two folds of improvement are theory and practice.
The most beneficial theory is the one you write yourself.
Come back anytime you feel like writing.
Gramash
Dark Rider

Post by Gramash »

Hey, i already picked the second choice for the dwarves, but i also like to try the first one :P
If the option is still open, i would like to join you managing the D.R.A.I.C.H

One thing though, communication... trough pm's or msn or email or something else?

Well hope to hear from you soon

Gramash
I was once a dwarf, but then a big dragon appeared. I rose my axe,ready to fight, but the rider said:come to the dark side...
we have cookies!
Well i couldn't resist that!
Now i am the mighty general of a dark elf army MUHUHAHA (still need to work on that evil laugh though)
Alongcamefred
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Alongcamefred »

I know I don't use these boards as much as many of of you guys.

However I'd love to contribute some articles when 8th Edition comes out. Maybe on tactics for different units or how to counter other armies.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Hi, mates.

The new rulebook is now making its way to local shops. My son had a look today in our GW store (French edition). :P
but they confirmed it will not be sold any earlier than 10th July. :(

That leaves us with some time to start thinking about the consequences of the new rules, before actually starting to play with them.

Thank you all 11 of you who mentioned the eagerness to adapt the D.R.A.I.C.H. to the new rules.

A special mention for Gramash:
Gramash wrote:If the option is still open, i would like to join you managing the D.R.A.I.C.H

So he will be joining me as another D.R.A.I.C.H. Captain for the 8th edition.
We will soon start together a new D.R.A.I.C.H., keep your eyes open!

We will be extremely pleased to see the participation of Red..., Bounce, Tzelok, Bitterman, EbonyPhoenix, Tethlis, Enkiel, Deroth, Yagdresil, AlongcameFred and all other volunteers. There is room for everyone of goodwill!
Myrkrdreki
Shade

Post by Myrkrdreki »

Hey all!

I've not been active at all on this forum, that is not voicing my oppinion at all. However I've been checking in now and then and learned allot from D.R.A.I.C.H the last few years.

Me and my friend play allot, and he play VC. So i feel im quite updated in playing VC in the 7th version, and I speculate allot over the new rules for playing them in 8th. If its a spot open for me, I'd like to share my views of how to play VC. In other words, I'd like to do the "how to play VC" - thingy if possible :)

As Calisson said; You learn not only from reading tactics, but allso trying to teach others!

-MyrkrDreki
8th Edition:

W/D/L
14/1/4
Vaari
Black Guard

Post by Vaari »

Greetings,

I have a thread on Magic Items that is garnering interest and good idea's, once its a little more comprehensive and then has been play tested (though in my case that is limited to Dwarves, High Elves and D.o.C as opponents), I wouldn't mind tidying it up into an article.

Also would be more than willing to share the responsibility/work load on this, since it won't be my idea's but a compilation of members opinions.

P.M or add to the thread here http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=65605&highlight=
Group 28
Name - Seijl Illydrien Class- Shade
Character Stats
- WS 6 - - S 3 - - T 3 - - D 4 - - I 4 -
Equipment
MC Light Armour, MC Buckler, MC Longsword,, Repeater Crossbow, Dagger w/ UC, Dagger w/ DV Shade Cloak. Field Kit (Healing x3), Vials of Unseen Chains (x3 uses) , Vials of Dark Venom (x4 uses) , Lamia Fang, Harpy Claws
Circlets : 260, , Emerald Eye (200Circ.) Rations: 10/10 Bolts: 16/20 , Null Stone
Skills
Basic Stealth - Heal
Gramash
Dark Rider

Post by Gramash »

As of now we have

Vaari - magic items

Red... - anti WOC
Enkiel - anti Ogres
Deroth - anti Tomb kings
MyrkrDreki - anti VC
Gramash - anti Dwarfs
Tzelok - anti Beastmen (and if time permits something for executioners)

Bounce - all his threads
( please define)
EbonyPhoenix - reviewing his articles (please define)

Bitterman - contributing in some way
Yagdresil - contributing in some way
AlongcameFred - contributing in some way

so that still leaves a lot open, because i don't know if everyone can upgrade their own articles. If you want to upgrade your article or just want to write something for the D.R.A.I.C.H. please post it here or PM me or Calisson

Keep in mind that with a little help everyone can write a decent article for the D.R.A.I.C.H. there is even a helpfull piece about it in the D.R.A.I.C.H. (last post in the D.R.A.I.C.H.) So if you think you're not good enough then you're wrong, because a little bit is better than nothing.

And if your subject is already taken, maybe you can do it together? or you can pick something else.

in short there's no reason not to write an article ( the only one could be time, but there's no pressure, you can take quite some time to write it or even write it in parts or write it with someone else.)

if you have any questions please PM me or Calisson

Gramash
I was once a dwarf, but then a big dragon appeared. I rose my axe,ready to fight, but the rider said:come to the dark side...
we have cookies!
Well i couldn't resist that!
Now i am the mighty general of a dark elf army MUHUHAHA (still need to work on that evil laugh though)
Swab
Cold One Knight

Post by Swab »

Not sure, I would like to help somehow. Maybe tactics or how to use specific units? Maybe update 7th ed articles. I am not sure. Just wherever you guys need help. PM me
Dalamar wrote:RAW, yes. But it's slapworthy.
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

I'm still on the verge whether I'll be playing Warhammer after july. I have come to the point in life where I have to save up money for other important things (like living), and since big infantry blocks are coming in fashion, I don't know if I can field a competitive list without buying lots of additional troops.

That said, I will be playing at least a few proxied test matches when the rules are out, so I will propably update some of my articles. If not (I'm also stressed for time lately due to recent changes in my living situation), I'll send out a shout and transfer my articles to a volunteer who may update them to reflect 8th edition. Or if there's anyone who already feels like doing so right now, go ahead and give me a shout.

PS : Not to be rude, but you overlooked my Death Hag summary article. :P
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Love to help on some tactics, and stuff.

most of my opponent's are dwarves, VC, empire and DE.

I play, DE, VC, Lizzies, and starting Woch. so can help in understanding the abowe.
Also known as Kanadian
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

I'll be revising my topics on Lord level "scroll caddies" (see Musings on Advance Caddies) and the topic I was starting on 8th edition character builds. I should be posting an initial take on the latter later today...
maybe...

The one on the new caddies will take some time, since I'm not quite sure how magic will influence the game. I'd rather have all my facts straight before diving into that with just supposition.
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

I'm planning on getting stuck in the hobby a bit more again. At the moment I've got exams so I only post, no painting or playing. But the new edition has got me excited enough to come back and post every now and then. Once my exams are over (in about a week's time) I would like to do some tactical writeups, get some games done. And some painting too, of course. I'll send you a pm Calisson once I've got university sorted.
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.