Black Dragon egg as defensive item?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Auere
Noble

Black Dragon egg as defensive item?

Post by Auere »

8th edition will feature ALOT of shooting, I reckon, and spellcasters are going to be a huge liability out in the open. But I have a pegasus sorceress model that I LOVE, and I was considering how to build her up to withstanding serious amounts of shooting. Here is my idea:

Sup. sorceress (PoK, Dragon Egg, Darkstar Cloak, Dark Magic)

First round she covers behind something or stays out of range in case the enemy gets first turn.

Then she flies up agressively right in front of of his army (but carefully not within charge range of heavy cavalry and ranked infantry).

She then casts all kinds of Dark Magic - especially trying to get soulstealer through on a big unit to boost her wounds to 6.

In my opponents next turn she eats the egg. Now she has toughness 6 which means that ordinary shooting cant really hurt her and inverse ward that means warmaschines cant hurt her and up to 6 wounds if she got soulstealer off. In case someone other than heavy cavalry and ranked infantry would charge her, she would have 2D6 combat breath attacks and toughness 6, easily beating all light units.

In the turns after that, warmaschines will proberbly be dead or locked in combat and she would fly behind the enemy and wreak havoc - constantly healing herself with soulstealer.

Will it work?

(I am fighting Lizardmen, Bretonnia, Wood Elves, Dwarves and O&G, so character killing spells will not be much of a problem)
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Remember, the pegasus can be shot from under her and leave her stranded, which is not good either.

I think in most cases, the POK is good enough to protect her. Anything else is just overkill.

Also, the best way to protect her is the focus familiar. It means she can casts effectively presenting herself as a target.

The Black Dragon Egg is best used on a turn that you charge, on a combat character to most effectively utiliize the breathe weapon as well as the T6.
Dark apostle197
Corsair

Post by Dark apostle197 »

In 8th edition, the pegasus cannot be shot down, they are killed together.
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

She is still vulnerable to lots of S3 shooting, so consider using the focus familiar. Also, remember that a sorc on pegasus can join a unit of troops, so sac dagger is still an option. She can then fly out when the unit gets into combat range, so your can safely use your unit in combat.
Auere
Noble

Post by Auere »

Remember, the pegasus can be shot from under her and leave her stranded, which is not good either.

As said, they share stats now, so the whole model will benifit from extra wounds from souleater, T6 from egg and inverse ward save.

She is still vulnerable to lots of S3 shooting

How? 40 glade guards hitting on 4+ = 20 hits, wounding on 6s = 3,33, 4+ ward = 1,67 wounds.

Thats from 40!!! glade guards. (as if anyone, except DE, would bring that amount of S3 shooting anyway) I would be more than pleased if he spent those shots on her! If I get the soulstealer off, she will have 6 wounds, which is more than a gunline can shoot down, and I can just soulsteal again the following turn. If I dont get soulstealer for spells, I will have to play more carefully, but still she is damn hard to bring down.
Haf
Dark Rider

Post by Haf »

I found better way to use that egg.

Charge with someone on the dragon. First your elf is poking them. Then dragon. Then dragon spits. Then heroe spits.
4DS4 auto hits? Yeah:)
D.styles
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by D.styles »

use the focus familiar if your gonna have your sorceress on the dark peggy. soo much nasty spells now can get her if enemy wizards can SEE her soo i usally hide hide her someplace safe and use the familiar and she can never get cupped handsed or gatewayed or dwellers belowed aha i learned that the hard way >.>
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

I think the plan is fine, but I think that's a lot of variables. Generally though, I do think the Black Dragon Egg is a brilliant choice for a Level 2 or a Level 4. If she's in a unit, she can get some durability as well as add some combat punch. I've used the egg with great effect on a Level 2 in a crossbow unit, using the egg to prevent them from charging for an added turn of S3 short-range shooting.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.