What should I field 7th Ed

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Malachai the headbringer
Slave on the Altar

What should I field 7th Ed

Post by Malachai the headbringer »

I know that the COK are very helpful and harpies and shades are good choices for slowing/stopping enemy forces. I would like to know what I should buy next like are executioners better than black guard, or if witch elves are helpful; also what about corsairs? Thanks :D
Vampire1812
Executioner

Post by Vampire1812 »

Do you mean 8th?
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Cold One Knights, Harpies, and Shades are no longer good choices for slowing/stopping enemy forces in 8th edition.

If you are indeed looking for 7th edition advice, there's 5 years of history you can probably skim though!
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

For 7th edition advice, you can read the quite comprehensive old 7th D.R.A.I.C.H., to be found in the forum: Website discussion/The Hall of Fame.
If you hesitate, then BG are probably the easiest for the 7th ed. Take Execs only if you have a COB.

Could you please confirm that you're looking for 7th edition advice?
It seems quite odd, taking into account the many improvements made with this new edition compared to the previous one, if one can judge by a few test games.

Also, specify if the advice is to take into account a likely future move to 8th edition.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

I think what Malachai the Headbringer is referring to is 8th edition - ie. the "LATEST & 'GREATEST'" (several of my friends have lost track of which edition we're now in (especially as many have not read the large printed '8TH EDITION RUMOUR' threads that appear on numerous warhammer associated webistes))

If its 7th edition you're after - the D.R.A.I.C.H. as Calisson quite rightly points out is the most utterly incredible resource we have for that gaming 'era'. Ground is also being made in 8th edition transitions, but have yet to cover the scope and range of the 7th edition postings.

So, onto the topic of this thread itself (assuming its 8th edition you're talking about here).

You have a massive array of options available to you it seems Malachai, and ultimately the best response IMHO for what its worth, is to choose units that you like the look of; we have great models for Cold One Knights, Executioners, Black Guard - but even the older Witch Elf models look awesome - whilst its a debate in contention as to possible replacements for the Cold One Chariot model and Shades too (see some rumour threads floating on the internet).

If you're not bothered about the models (or love all equally!) then the next question is; are you building an 'all round'/'multipurpose' list - whereby you want the most effective options available and limited money/resources to spend.
Alternatively, you may be looking at making a veritable epic sized army (5000pts+ ish) and wish to be making a generally good step - and if so, whats unit to choose for the next footing.

In 8th, I'll be honest - many of us are still experimenting and learning. Most of our past assumptions have changed slightly - corsairs with handbows for example, were quite a specific choice in 7th ed. (old edition) and whilst workable, did require a certain amount of care and experience to get right. However, now in 8th edition with models shooting in 2 ranks, handbow corsairs are a LOT more viable (make the most of the 12 man unit you have).

I think no matter what situation you're in however, as others have pointed out, you need to mention a little about your list (post it on the 'druchii army lists' section first - then possibly add a link to this thread... or just describe it loosely here on the druchii discussion section) and we may be able to help more on what units would complement nicely your army so far and your possible playing style (aggressive, defensive, magic, close combat etc).

Cheers,

Beanz

edit: PS. Welcome to D.net!! :D