Dark Rider

Post by Rogue-gladiator »

Here's a somewhat silly combo I came up with today

Dreadlord with the following kit:
Sea Dragon Cloak
Fencer's Blades
Glittering Scales
Ring of Darkness

Fencing blades push ws to 10, ring of darkness halves the ws of opponents, and glittering scales places the character at -1 to hit. Unless the opponent has ws 9 or 10, he'll be hitting on 6s only. While not the best use of a magic item set, I just think the reaction of your opponent may be humorous. Unfortunately any attacks that get through will carve him up... could swap the fencer's blade for armour of death.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Rogue-Gladiator: Slightly better build already suggested earlier in the thread:

"MCHammer Lord by Gee
Dreadlord - 276pts
Ring of Darkness, Glittering Scale Armour, Duelling Blades, Sea Dragon Cloak, Cold One

This build comes with only a 3+ armour save, however he is virtually untouchable in combat. With WS10, and halving opposing model's weaponskill, he causes virtually all opponents (anything with a WS of 8 or less) to need 6's to hit him in combat. In addition, the RoD helps against massed bow- or gun-fire by halving Ballistic Skill."
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Rogue-gladiator
Dark Rider

whoops, sorry. However, it's my understanding that mounted characters cannot take two handed weapons. Is that rule ignored with magic weapons?
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

Rogue-Gladiator wrote:whoops, sorry. However, it's my understanding that mounted characters cannot take two handed weapons. Is that rule ignored with magic weapons?

Mounted models have no restrictions on 2 handed or paired weaponry, however they do not get the parry ward save with handweapon/shield.
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

Curse the crash of internet at home, I intended to do this over the weekend.

Hero builds added:
Alternate build to the Great Equalizer by Lord Tsunami
The BSB of Doom by The Internet
Machine Hunter by Meteor
Super-bomber-woman by Red…
Flyswatter and Beast Slayer by LanceSaba

Lord updates will be done later.
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

woopsy- erasing THAT guy from my list... Lol we ALL missed that last game :D :D :D

the Dreadlord Regret (240 pts)
Black Amulet
Relic Sword
Blood Armour

4+ Ward that if you make it, they take a wound. The Relic Sword is overlooked a lot of times, but having the 5+ instead of always needing 6's to hurt the REALLY tough guys (and consider what happens if a Hydra, Hag Graef, or Murder BSB is around).

I was thinking of a can opener Master with Sword of Might and a Pot of Strength for the 3 S8 hits when near Banner of Murder. We have a LOT of Dwarves and Empire in my area.

Or the Mage-Biter DLord
Either RoH or 3 Null Talisman (because it's still debated as to the highest level of MR being 3 or 5)
Spellthieving Sword
Pot of Strength (simply because the Spellthieving sword is based on unsaved wounds)
and then equip normally, but put on a Dark Steed, so it gets across quickly. This variant is a waste unless you know you're up against a magic heavy army.

Or RoD with Anti Heroes and just stage dive into combat lol
Oderint dum Metuant.
Camaris
Black Guard

Post by Camaris »

The Unholy Knight
BSB Master, Armour of Destiny, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Cold One, Halberd

If you need a BSB to lead your central battleline and you need the pendant elsewhere, this is your guy. With a 1+ armour save and a 4+ ward save, he can survive the massive amounts of 8th ed supporting attacks and duel a lot of the characters in the game. If you face a lot of ethereals in your gaming group, you may want to switch his magic items with talisman of preservation and one of the 5pt magic items.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

The challenge mistress; lvl2 sorceress with tome of furion and pendant of khaleth.

A great support mage. 3 spells gives a great chance of knowing your desired spell in any lore and the pendant makes her virtually immune to most miscast wounds and a potential tarpit vs high strength enemies.
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Oh this thread.. I'm posting in to refer to later. Very nice, gives a quick template for different budgets. :)
Rogue-gladiator
Dark Rider

EbonyPhoenix wrote:
Rogue-Gladiator wrote:whoops, sorry. However, it's my understanding that mounted characters cannot take two handed weapons. Is that rule ignored with magic weapons?

Mounted models have no restrictions on 2 handed or paired weaponry, however they do not get the parry ward save with handweapon/shield.

Again, my bad. I meant two hand weapons as opposed to to handed weapons. Sorry to be persistent on this, but based on the following text, it is my understanding that mounted models cannot take additional/two hand weapons:

"TWO/ADDITIONAL HAND WEAPONS
(MODELS ON FOOT ONLY)

Some warriors carry two hand weapons, one in each hand, and can rain down even more blows on their enemy. An additional hand weapon cannot be used by a mounted model, or by a model that has a magical close combat weapon."

-BRB, pg 91

Are paired weapons not considered to be two hand weapons? They are only different in name, after all
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

If you're referring to the Fencer's Blade, then I would assume that it is intended to be used as two hand weapons since it is a PAIR. Pair correlates to two, and the fact that it grants an extra attack on top of its other effect further supports the idea that it's intended to be two hand weapons.

It also makes sense for a mounted model to be unable to use two/additional hand weapons unless they have three arms and hands since they need one hand to hold the reins to stop themselves from falling off their crazed beast. A shield is feasible since it can be strapped onto the arm that's holding the reins.

Thanks for pointing that out Rogue, I would had always kept overlooking that if you didn't bring it up (never ran into such a case). On the topic of 2h weapons and mounting, you get +2S now not a +1, just in case some people missed that.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

Update:

Lord builds added:
Aerial Axe by The Internet
Midnight Dreadlord by Isryion
Deadeye by Isryion
Horselord Guardian by Red…
Lord of Regret by L1qw1d
Spell Eater by L1qw1d

On a side note, the 3 armed thing doens't really apply. Just like standard bearers armed with halbers and great weapons, or the Death Hag with 2 hand weapons and the Battle Standard. It just means you have a good mount that is led by commands through the legs, knees, and voice. I would agree that the +1 attack may not apply, but I don't think the weapon itself is invalid.

Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

Hero builds added:
Unholy Knight by Camaris
Challenge Mistress by sulla

Also, Polling for Master and Sorceress builds are up. Links are now in my OP. New builds will get updated there, so if you already voted feel free to leave a comment in the polling and I'll keep track for moving builds to confirmed status.

Lord Polling should be up by end of week.

Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

Added polling topic for Dreadlord Builds, link is in the OP.

L1qw1d

Post by L1qw1d »

Would it be possible to make a Anvil Hunter and/or MC Hammer MASTER- as untouchable as possible?
Oderint dum Metuant.
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

Possibly, I'll look into it. However, what do you mean by Anvil Hunter?

Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

Possible MCHammer BSB builds:

Independent Build
Master - 179pts
Battle Standard, Ring of Darkness, Dragonhelm, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Halberd, Dark Steed

This would give a 2+ armour save in combat, 2+ ward against flaming attacks (see Lore of Metal), +1 save against ranged attacks, plus it halves WS/BS of enemy attacks. So if you keep him away from anything WS5+ you force your opponent to only hit him on 5s. Although this isn't perfect, it also keeps all the ward save items for your Lords, plus protecting the bodyguard unit that houses your BSB to protect from generic shooting attacks and Hellblaster Volley guns. This BSB is not intended for the frontline, but is perfect for a support unit of crossbows or sacrificial dagger spearmen.

The MCHammer build hinges on reducing WS while increasing our own, and the points just don't work well for a Master. However, if you are willing to gamble by bring a Dark Magic sorceress with Word of Pain...

Master-183pts
Battle Standard, Glittering Scale Armour, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Cold One Mount, Whip of Agony

Assuming you get Word of Pain off, you can definitely park this guy in combat. Between a 2+ armour save, and the fact that anything without a +X to hit item will have to hit him on 6s due to Word of Pain or failing their fear test (unlikely with new BSB rules though) he should shrug off just about anything but a character/monster. Since he brings his own reroll, stupidity isn't a problem. Add in the 4 st5 attacks from the Whip, and he's perfectly happy mixing it up with most units he runs into. Place him in a unit of CoKs and wait for the Word of Pain to go off before you charge in.

L1qw1d

Post by L1qw1d »

Either a unit to engage it in CC fast and possibly survive or just something that can kill a Dwarven Anvil (it's like trying to kill our COB, but if you get them in melee, they can't cast their runes).

I think the cold one in the build is fairly innovative!
Oderint dum Metuant.
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

One situational, but slightly sneaky build/combo against the Anvil of Doom is as follows:

Deploy about 10 Shades as Scouts at 12" from Anvil with GWs
Charge and roll a 7+
Reveal Assassin (2 swords, Rune of Khaine, Touch of Death, Black Lotus)
Challenge!

L1qw1d

Post by L1qw1d »

Broken Lord
Fencer's Blades
Blood Armour
RoD

now you may be saying "Oh, great. DAn's gone mad ~again~..."

I haven't. Well, I haven't ever stopped really. I'm just being all sleep deprived and thought of this synergy with the troops.

Pretend this guy is your General, and put in a 6*5 pack of Corsairs, with the SSS (they have handbows so the SSS is there to get their attacks back up to 2). So going along with my Okkam's Razor thread and he being the General, The magic round prior goes off, and you cast Okkam on the Unit. A unit of 7*7 ends up within charge distance.

So you get a blessing from your CoB. +1 Attack.
this basically means:
If the Reaver answers or issues a Challenge, he has 3 WS4 attacks @ 10 "S" (because the General is right behind you, and since it's all speculation, giggling maniacally) My version of math hammer states that for the most part, only 1/2 to 1/3 of all attacks HIT- so lets say half. 6 attacks land out of the 12. USUALLY I throw the "half rule" to AS as well, so normally you'd do a whopping 1-3 wounds. But you have S10. so lessee... unless you're soloing an ogre, or a really NASTY Champ, you're rolling 2+ for any beasty under T9. and on the first round...reroll the ones ;) and then you make them -7 on the AS. Hope they Regen or have a HUGE Ward save ;)

So. Your unit steps over the corpse... and proceeds to throw 11 WS 4 attacks. 44 dice, 22 to 13 hit.
lets pretend it's the latter. makes it the perfect set up for the DLord.

36 vs 1. sounds unfair. to them. 6 WS 10 attacks, throwing out 1's on the first round, and then the 2+ and -7. Which means 60 dice.

If this is correct, you've just gone to your 1+ save in one round AND broken the Steadfast.
Last edited by L1qw1d on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oderint dum Metuant.
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

now you may be saying "Oh, great. DAn's gone mad ~again~..."

tbh, i see nothing that contradicts that statement in your post. you can make any character build work if you take huge buffs and a unit to boot in to the calculations. nevertheless its not a very good build. many many other builds will get better results if you apply the same buffs to them.
L1qw1d

Post by L1qw1d »

There's only 2 buffs: CoB and Okkam. You can even take the RoD off, if you feel cocky, or just switch Blood to the AoD.

I'm just saying that it's a good example of synergy. You don't need to build so it's such a stand out piece when you as a player are already gunning for Okkam. I just noted you could get a 1+ AS, 6 WS10 S10 attacks off in one round from one person who is in a group of others.

Can you do the same thing elsewhere? Of course- it's cheap enough (and slightly less beard) if you popped this on a Master (A5 , WS10 & S9 in that case). I mean in melee, it's fairly pointless: ones always lose and 6 always wins. I mean you throw dice, and they throw dice. If they managed to roll all 6's? Let them live.

you could take a Pot of Str for the round Okkam doesn't go off.

I'm just saying that when you look at units and builds, I LIKE making stand outs, but this guy was just made to test the Theory generated by our army's NATURAL synergies.

And for the record, the next sentence did.
Oderint dum Metuant.
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

Okay, thanks to those who joined the polling topics we have our first "Confirmed" build., The Scholar.

I've also made some cosmetic changes to the Build listings to give an easier get to the type of build you are looking for. Each character is now broken up to a Subset, so you have Subset - Master and Subset - Sorceress in the hero sections for instance. Hopefully this helps break up the monotony that the posts were becoming and aids in searching for builds.

Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

Sorry Ive got to post this. Its horrible

The One trick flying pony!

1 lvl 2 Sorceress Power scroll Dark Steed or Pegasus.

Our girl teams up with the scholar in order to make sure she gets the Purple Sun. In the event of a total freak occurrence with the dice she can just take the signature spell which is plenty good.

She can then either spend the game trotting around casting normally

OR

She can use her power scroll to cast the big spell with guaranteed IF whenever she has access to 7 pd.

She might lose a wound or suffer something worse but she will most probably do something much worse to th enemy!
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

Darn it Venkh! I was trying to let that build slide under the radar. ;) :lol:

Very well, as it was written so shall it appear...later tonight though.