The Hidden Flag Hag

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Tzelok
Beastmaster

The Hidden Flag Hag

Post by Tzelok »

Hello my Druchii brethren,

Not sure if this would fit under tactics or rules questions, so Mod's I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum and I await the mod-stick beating.

I was just looking at the DRAICH article linked here: http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=66187&highlight=

and realized that unlike 7th edition, a BSB can give her magic banner benefits from behind the front rank.

If this is the case, would a BSB deathhag with the ASF banner be able to hide in the back of a unit of executioners, negating their ASL, without putting herself (and a whole ton of VP) on the line?

A 7 wide unit of non-buffed execs would get 15 WS5 S6 KB hatred (first round) attacks at I5.

The key here is that they would do this WITHOUT having the deathhag be killed in round 1. Plus, if you use her for this purpose, you don't have to dump points into making her "killy" but I think witch brew would be a good choice.

Any thoughts on this? Is this possible or has my 3rd cup of coffee for the day thrown me off edge?
Army Plog Below:
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=63015

Scratch Built Druchii Tower:
http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=67976&highlight=

The League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Maldor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Maldor »

Characters may only be placed in the second rank if the entire front rank is filled by characters & command models.
Lock up your children, shut all windows tight.
The Witch Elves are hunting for victims tonight.
When old hags do knock at your door, you must hide,
Your death is the gift sought by Khaine's pretty brides.
Tzelok
Beastmaster

Post by Tzelok »

Shoot...guess that shoots that plan! I was/am just at work without my BRB when the idea hit me. Guess it was the caffiene!
Army Plog Below:
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=63015

Scratch Built Druchii Tower:
http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=67976&highlight=

The League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

21 Executioners = 327 (7*3 formation)
Full Command + Banner of Murder.

Death Hag = 165
BSB; Standard of Hag Grief, Witch Brew.

Death Hag X4 = 560
(Rune of Khaine, Manbane each...).

Total = 1,052

Could be a lethal unit in a 10k game? ;)

Alternatively, replace 1-4 Death Hags with Assassins...
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Mod's comment:
< dropping the modstick, trying to remember where in the world is the mod-carrot? >
Sure it belongs to the tactics forum! :)

Actually I was going to develop on the specifics tactics allowing a DH BSB to be realistically played:

How to play a non-COB DH?
It would be so nice to get a DH BSB with the ASF banner in a large unit of Execs, knowing that a handy COB nearby gives them stubborness (and possibly some lollipops :P ).
Note that this trick works with any unit, the DH alone is enough to make the whole unit stubborn with a nearby COB.

Formation: 3x8, First row is FC, DH has room only in 2nd row.

CMP ...........Champion, Muso, Pennant bearer
HXX ...........Death Hag, 2 x R&F Exec (or other troop)
XXX ...........R&F Exec (or other troop)

Unit is charged.
Champ challenges, quite likely (ASF, special attacks) to survive. If you're not confident that the champ will survive a challenge, then you must either get an assassin in addition, or put the unit in 2 rows rather than 3.

Only R&F (and champ) are in base contact, so only R&F die. The DH gets only 1 support attack. She could have accepted a challenge, so if you decline the challenge, she can be sent to a rear rank and the unit looses her Ld but not the BSB reroll nor the ASF. Worse, if the opponent decides to send to the rear the champion, then now she has to go in the first rank.

End of combat. The COB ensures that you were stubborn, with a rerollable Ld9 (or Ld 7 if the DH refused a challenge).

Rearrange: even if you lost, you get a rerollable Ld9 to rearrange. You rearrange in a formation slightly wider than your opponent: +2 if you want the DH in contact of 1 model, or +3 if you want the DH to remain safe (for the one turn – the opponent may rearrange himself, next round).
The DH has room now in the first row. She was not in base contact with foes, she still needs not to go in base contact. Set her in a corner (out of contact if you are +3 models wider).

Now, you are in a formation where you have more models than the opponent in the first rank, not forgetting that the whole second rank can hit as well.
In addition, now you have ranks (possibly less than the opponent, but their ranks will dwindle faster than yours),so you're eligible to get rank bonuses and, more important, the opponent may end up with as many ranks as you, and become not steadfast anymore.
When ready for the final blow, you can rearrange again to put your DH in contact, if she is still not.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}