D.R.A.I.C.H. R&F superheroes - Improve the masses

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

D.R.A.I.C.H. R&F superheroes - Improve the masses

Post by Calisson »

In a moment of Soviet nostalgia, I had a thought that WHFB is not a game for the ruling class only, but proletarian Rank & File deserve the best as well!

In this thread, I am going to examine what can be done to transform a unit, in order to make it a killing machine or a perfect tar pit (or both).

The main interest of this thread is not the originality, but to be exhaustive. At present, the information is scattered throughout the rulebook. Here, it will be sorted and summarized. There is a handy summary in the end.

I’ll consider only improvements which apply to whole units, applicable to R&F, not only on champions or characters, although they will benefit from similar improvements themselves.
These improvements may come from a unit’s special rule, or from the influence of a champion or character nearby or within the unit, including spells. I include in my analysis spells from Dark Lore, but also from Lores not available to DE, for two reasons:
- many of us have a second army, for which this thread could be useful;
- our opponents will apply the same logics as in this thread, with potential access to these Lores, in order to build their own killing machine or tar pit (or both).

I’ll use the following references and abbreviations:
(X nn) = item of type “X”, costing nn pts. (Xd nn) = druchii specific item of type “X”, costing nn pts.
(Wnn) = weapon, (Ann) = armour, (Tnn) = talisman, (Snn) = standard, (scroll nn) = scroll, (Enn) = enchanted.
Lore Y #n = spell number n; if n=0, it is the signature spell.
The name of the equipment is usually shortened or skipped altogether. With the category and the pts value, it is easy to find what I am referring at, even with a book translated in other languages than English (like mine).
I have to admit that the army lists, nowadays, are difficult to read with strange names of magic objects.

In order to get a real death star (or at least to get closer to it), you want a unit which charges reliably, hits early repetitively and accurately, resisting fear, wounding a lot, piercing armours, cancelling regeneration.
You also want your unit to survive melee, for which it needs to resist hits, to avoid wounds, to save them, ward save or regenerate.
You want a guarantee that the combat resolution tilts towards your side, or at minimum that you have little chance to loose your break test.
Finally, you want your unit to have survived so far distant attacks, resisting magic and shooting. As specific anti-flyers buffs are available, I’ll examine them as well.
Let’s see each of these aspects, and how to improve them.
Last edited by Calisson on Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

1. Charge further.
Cavalry and chariots are fast on the charge, but they desperately need the charge to get their full efficiency.
Infantry is slow and could benefit from getting faster.
Flyers are naturally fast but who wishes not to be faster?
It is possible to increase the likelihood to get the charge with one of the following standards:

(S55) Reroll charge: requires a BSB, useful for units who need the charge. I could see it useful for COK, and even more for a BSB/COC.
This standard is in competition for its use by lone BSBs:
If you take a Manti BSB (only for very good players), it could be useful to reroll the charge: you may reroll a failed charge if you want to get in melee, or reroll a frenzy-triggered successful charge if you wish to remain with your main line and move only 1D6 (highest D6 rolled).
A warmachine-hunter DS BSB could screw up his job (and loose his life) with a missed charge; rerolling it could be very valuable. A BSB DH (and her WE unit) could also select to reroll the charges it does not want.

(S50) Strider: requires a BSB. It is of little use for infantry. Possible use for COK.
I could see it useful for a BSB COC (for which any charge through terrain can be very painful: 1/6 chances of taking 1D6 wounds, no save p.117). Note that a BSB COB (for which all terrain save hills is impassable) could become much more mobile.

(S15) +1M: low cost, more useful for slow units: spearmen (?), corsairs, WE, Execs, BG, COK, BSB chariot.

Not available for us is Light #6 (double M, ASF, +1att). Beware that it is accessible to others. Fortunately, you know about this spell before your own movement phase, so you can act accordingly.
Also, note that Heavens #2 (pushes back D3+1”) may push us back, and prevent us to countercharge.

2. Faster hits.
As the opponent will step in and retaliate, striking first is meaningful only if one or both units are small sized.
BG, WE, COK have I6 and hit faster than most troops save HE. Other troops have I5 which is above average.
This is one reason why DE can play MSU style, contrary to most other armies.
Normally, we need not to try to strike faster. However, as it is available, I’ll examine it.

(Sd35) SoHG (ASF) is nice when facing HE. Also, ASF associated with high I brings the effects of hatred in following turns. It is of little use for BG, but COK are probably a good recipient for it. Also, ASF cancels Execs’s ASL, which can be handy if you dare to get a DH BSB.

Shadow #0 (opponent’s WS, BS, I, M reduced) can help our troops to hit first but usually it will not be needed.

Not available for us is Light #2 which can give I10 WS10 to a whole unit.
Not available for us is Light #6 (double M, ASF, +1att).

3. More hits.
Units with only one attack dream to double their efficiency with a second one.

The first thing to consider is the units’ option for additional hand weapon, bringing 1 more attack (Shades).
The COB can grant +1att. It is expensive, but cannot be dispelled.
(Sd75) Our Hydra banner provides +1attack when charging. This is useful for units having naturally 1attack and a high likelihood to get the charge. It requires a BSB. Shielded DR, COK and COC could benefit from this banner (especially since the BSB pretty much cancels the risk of stupidity).

The other way to get one more attack is to get frenzy. WE have it naturally.
(Sd25) The SSS can make Corsairs Frenzied (its effect is to show them the booty to be made). Excellent both for AHW and RHB corsairs.

Not available for us is Light #6 (double M, ASF, +1att). Uh? It is already the third time that I mention that spell. Seems powerful. Watch out for Empire getting it.

4. Accurate hits.
Yes, we can make our hits more accurate. It is not that much useful, as DE are naturally gifted and benefit from hatred. But let’s see what is available.

Three spells can make the task of our fighters easier.
Dark Lore #3 (BS & WS reduced to 1) allows 2/3 of our hits attempts to succeed.
Metal #5 (opponent has -1WS).
Shadow #0 (opponent’s WS, BS, I, M reduced D3).

Not available for us is Light #2 (I10 WS10).
Not available for us is Heavens #1 (reroll hit, wounds & save of 1).
Our foes could hit us with more ease than we wish.

5. Fear/Terror/ITP.
A failed Ld test may influence a lot a combat: someone not controlling his fear becomes WS1 and requires now 5+ to hit pretty much anything; it will be hit on 3+. Our COC/COK cause fear and may get this pleasant consequence.
Overall, Druchii having a high Ld need little enhancement to resist fear. However, I’ll examine what is available anyhow.

(S50) Terror banner. This banner requires a BSB. The benefit depends on the low Ld of the enemy, and the enemy has plenty of ways to mitigate that effect. Not useful for us.

(Sd40) Fear banner, could be useful on BG.
In addition, Druchii have a potion of Fear
(Ed25) working once. It is much more interesting, as it does not require to use the precious BSB. This can be useful to make our units less dependant of a fear/terror Ld test: if you want more reliability, this is to be considered. Another strategy is to take all these items in order to get the feeling of a Vampire Count army (take Lokhir for general).

Death #1 (Fear/Terror) allows to make one more unit fearful. A must for the fear causing army.

Also, don’t forget that anybody wielding flaming weapons causes fear to war beasts, cavalry & chariots (fortunately for us, CO are too stupid to understand that flames can burn…). See §8.

Resisting fear/terror is achieved with ITP. Naturally, BG, COK, COC, frenzied WE and frenzied SSS corsairs are ITP.
In addition, we can take a talisman:
(Td25) PoIB.
Last edited by Calisson on Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

6. Wounding hits.
Hitting the target is not enough. We need to wound it.
Poison helps (autowound), as WE know.
Otherwise, there are three ways to increase wounds: increase S (which also helps piercing armours); rerolling wounds; reducing the opponent’s T.

A high S is obtained by getting the charge for Cavalry (COK, COC, DR).
Shades can take GW (S+2, however it makes them ASL, 2 hands).

Shadow #6 (use Ld instead of S) is a highly interesting spell, as we benefit from a high Ld.
Not available for us is Beast #0 (unit +1S+1T).

Flaming attacks allow to reroll wounds in buildings. Occasional, but not to be forgotten.
Not available for us is Heavens #1 (reroll hit, wounds & save of 1).

We have access to two ways or reducing the opponent’s T:
Shadow #3 (reduces T by D3, RIP).
Death #3 (-1S -1T).

7. Armour piercing hits.
Two AP banners are available :D :
(Sd25) AP. Could be given to most pennant bearer (spearmen, corsairs, WE, Execs, BG, COK). It benefits them all.
(S45) AP. Could be given to BG or COK pennant bearer, in case you had used already the first one.
Remember that these two banners provide an AP which works only in melee, so AP AHW corsairs are not available anymore.

Metal #2[/color) makes all attacks AP, including shooting (contrary to standards), in addition to getting +1 to hit.
[color=cyan]Metal #5
reduces AS, which is like AP (and it reduces the BS and WS of the opponent, too).
Metal #1 lowers the AS, which is like getting AP.

COB’s KB is, of course, much better than AP, if you face infantry, cavalry or war beasts.

Not available for us is Heavens #3 (reroll hit, wounds & save of 6).

8. Flames.
Flaming attacks are useful for four reasons:
- Regeneration, cancelled during that turn
- fear to cavalry/chariots/war beasts
- flammable targets (like some Woody trees)
- attacks against buildings (rerolls to wound). Remember, there is a scenario with a tower!

Pretty much any one unit can take a cheap standard:
(S10) Flaming. Good for spearmen, AHW/RHB corsairs, WE (they love that banner), Execs, BG, COK.

The unit can get flaming attacks with Fire #2 (also granting +1 to hit). Best given to RXBmen.

Just for the recollection (off topic in this thread, not unit’s buff), other common sources of flames are:
Hydra breath.
Lore of Fire #0,1,2,3,4,5,6. (E25) Ring of fireball.
Lore of Metal #0,4,6.
Not available for us is Light #0
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

9. Resisting hits & wounds.
Many spells help to resist hits & wounds by reducing the opponent’s performance:
Shadow #0 (WS, BS, I, M reduced).
Shadow #2 (S reduced, RIP).
Death #3 (-1S -1T)

Six more spells are not available to DE, but could be used by our foes to resist us:
Not available for us is Beast #0 (unit +1S+1T). Beast #4 (-1 to hit).
Not available for us is Light #1 (-1 to hit).
Not available for us is Life #2 (+2T).
Not available for us is Heavens #0 (-1 to hit & Ld). Heavens #3 (reroll hit, wounds & save of 6).

10. Saving wounds.
Not all wounds are fatal. Armour saves lives.
Some of our troops are highly armoured (COC, COK) or get some armour (Corsairs, DR, Execs, BG). Some can improve their armour with a shield (DR, Spearmen, RXBmen). Some are armour-less (harpies, WE, Shades).

Of course, you can replace dead bodies with more bodies. This is the best way to go with cheap troops (spearmen). It reaches its limits quicker for more expensive ones (corsairs, RXBmen, harpies, WE, Execs, BG) and is hardly available for the more expensive ones (DR, Shades, COK).

We can improve that further:
Metal #3 (scaly 5+save to units) will provide the following armour saves:
1+: COC, COK (not a good recipient).
2+: Shielded DR, Corsairs for shooting attacks.
3+: Corsairs, DR, Execs, BG, Shielded Spearmen, Shielded RXBmen.
4+: Spearmen, RXBmen, armoured Shades. Note: hydra remains 4+ (it is already scaly).
5+: Harpies, WE, Shades.
The best to aim at is the range 2+, which effect is to triple the amount of S3 hits necessary to kill the unit. Next is the range 3+, for which the S3 hits necessary are doubled. In the range 4+ and 5+, the enemy needs 1.7 or 1.5 more hits, it is not that effective.
If you intend to run a large unit of shielded DR, or possibly corsairs, I’d highly recommend the use of that spell.

COB’s 5+WS is another way of saving useful lives. It is the most useful when you are threatened with template weapons on a massive, expensive unit (BG, Execs, WE, Corsairs, shielded DR). And it cannot be dispelled!

Not available for us is defensive Heavens #1 (reroll hit, wounds & save of 1) and offensive Heavens #3 (reroll hit, wounds & save of 6).
Not available for us is Life #5 (regrowth of a unit), and the Life special effect (restoring wounds).

11. Combat resolution.
At the end of the combat, you want to be on the winning side.
Each side endeavours to get the highest Active Combat Resolution (kills/challenge), Static CR (Ranks, Standard/ BSB) and Manoeuvre CR (charge/side/rear/hill – this is often included in SCR).

However, in the 8th edition, with the Steadfast rule and the ability to use the General’s Ld for stubborn rolls, CR matters much less. Nowadays, a unit failing its break test has become a rare sight. At least, ACR means that you have reduced the opposing unit.

How to get more ACR has been dealt with in detail, in most § above.

You can get more SCR:
(Sd25) Warbanner is the most cost-effective way to get a higher SCR.
The pts cost in the BRB is overridden by our AB, but it is the same item, so only 1 can be taken.
Any unit among Spearmen, Corsair, WE, Execs and BG can take it.
(Sd35) SoS (+1D3 if charging). Only units with a high chance of charging should take it: COK, COC BSB, Manti BSB, BSB inside shielded DR unit. However, in 8th ed, winning the charge is not as essential as in 7th ed, so the usefulness of this banner has become remote.
(Sd125) BoN (+1 to all units within 12”, unbreakable). This banner is very expensive for what it does.
(Khaine 25) Witchbrew denies part of the opponent’s Manoeuvre CR. A little bit expensive for what it does.

As long as you kill enough more opponents than they kill back, or have a higher SCR, your opponent will take the risk of loosing his break test. However, sometimes he brings much more SCR than you (especially if you play MSU), and sometimes the ACR is not there (especially after hatred is lost and charging bonus is lost too).
It is time to start taking measures to pass your break test. This can be planned also on purpose, using one unit as tar pit while the rest of the army positions itself for the final kill.

Steadfast rule requires that you had more ranks than the largest enemy unit. One way to achieve that is to reduce sufficiently the opponent.
Of course, if you’re stubborn naturally (BG, Execs/WE/- not forgetting DH - within COB reach, Shade/Harpies in woods), you don’t need steadfast.
(E35) Crown of stubbornness let one more unit become stubborn. This item allows units other than BG/Execs/WE to become a tar pit of they own.

12. Ld test.
Stubborn or not, if you loose a melee, you end up in relying on passing a Ld test.
This event can be helped with three banners, cheap enough to be available for most units:
(S15) +1Ld (not using general’s Ld), useful for BG and even more for COK who test more often, if your general is a sorceress.
(S5) Reroll once Ld. Very cheap.
(Sd15) Cold Blooded (once, Ld at 2 lowest on 3D6).
Not available for us is Light #3 (passes all Ld). Handy for our opponents.

We can also “help” the opponent to fail a Ld test:
Death #4 (RIP, -3 Ld)
Not available for us is Heavens #0 (-1 to hit & Ld).

To be mentioned in addition, as we mention Ld tests, there are some spells which force a panic test if one casualty is suffered:
Dark #6 (large template)
Fire #3 (burning head).
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

13. Massive magic damage.
If your unit is not quickly engaged in close combat, it will face not only normal shooting but also DD and MM.
Some spells are true weapons of mass destruction, either because they potentially can destroy all R&F models (and characters failing their “Look Out, Sir” roll), or because they use a template to determine their victims. I’ll not consider MM as mass destruction, unless it can manage to deal more than 6 autohits.
Note that template spells are not massive killers against units inside buildings, and skirmishers or units with wide bases resist them better.

Some genocide spells threaten whole units, in which all models risk to die:
Dark #5 (all models suffer S2 autohit)
Fire #5 (all models suffer S4 if moving)
Metal #6 (all models have 2/6 chances to die, no WS)
Not available for us is Life #6 (all models test S or die, no WS).

Templates spell are real weapons of massive destruction:
Dark #6 (large template, S test, no save)
Fire #6 (small/large template, S4)
Shadows #5 (small/large template, I test or die, no WS)
Death #6 (small/large template, I test or die, no WS)
Not available for us is Heavens #5 (comet, all units within 2D6” suffer 2D6+m hits, S4+m)

Milder spells still can cause havoc, especially if used repetitively:
Dark #4 (3D6 WS4-S4 attacks)
Fire #0 (1D6 or 2D6 or 3D6, S4 MM)
Fire #1 (each unit in contacts suffers 2D6, S4)
Fire #4 (D3 per rank, S4)
Metal #0 (2D6)
Not available for us is Light #5 (2D6, S4)
Not available for us is Beasts #1 (2D6, S2)

14. Resisting magic damage.
Magic resistance provides (or improves) a ward save against DD and MM. We have plenty of ways to provide magic resistance to a whole unit. Except for the Standard of MR1, any magic resistance requires a character wearing either armour or talisman.
Remember that MR does not stack, although it adds to the ward save (good to have a COB nearby). Only our Null Shards do stack together.

(Td75) Null Shards MR5. (note: some players will object that MR3 is a maximum). MR5 (or MR3 stacked with the COB’s WS) increases the amount of MM or DD required to kill a unit by 500%.
(Td60) Null Shards MR4. (note: some players will object that MR3 is a maximum). MR4 (or MR2 stacked with the COB’s WS) increases the amount of MM or DD required to kill a unit by 200%.
(A45) / (Td45) MR3. MR3 increases the amount of MM or DD required to kill a unit by 100%.
(A30) / (Td30) MR2. MR2 increases the amount of MM or DD required to kill a unit by 50%.
(A20) / (T15) / (Td15) MR1. MR1 merely increases the amount of MM or DD required to kill a unit by 20%.
(S15) MR1. A mere standard allows a pennant bearer to provide MR1.

You can pick up the MR you wish, noting that the cost/efficiency ratio is much better at MR3 than MR1.

(scroll 15) The unique Scroll of shielding (WS4+ against magic) is the only way to help the hydra resist magic fire, to which it looses its regeneration.

15. Massive shooting damage.
Shooting can affect masses:
Breath weapons and, above all, warmachines, especially those which use the large template (21 models can be hit) and even the small template (up to 16 models can be hit).
Cannons and bolt throwers can hardly kill more than 5 models in a shot, I don’t consider that mass shooting.
Note that template weapons are not massive killers against units inside buildings, and skirmishers or units with wide bases resist them better.

A very large unit of shooters could well deliver a massive amount of shots. I’d consider it mass shooting only if effective hits are more than 10, which requires usually more than 20 shooters.

There is one item available to help us deal massive shooting damage:
(Ed25) guiding eye (reroll missed once). Useful inside a large unit of RXBmen. Typical use for a sorceress.

16. Resisting shooting.
Two specific items can help whole units against shooting.
(E5) Unit’s 6+WS against warmachines. It is so cost-effective, that it is to be considered mandatory for COK or BG champion if they have 5pts available, or any character designed to go inside a large unit.
(Td40) RoD (BS/2). This one is much less useful for the unit, unless you know that you will face an unusually high number of BS shooters.

In addition, if we know who may shoot at us, we can make sure they become ineffective:
Dark Lore #1 (MM- no shooting) shuts down one unit.
Dark Lore #3 (BS & WS reduced to 1) makes one shooting unit useless.
Shadow #0 (WS, BS, I, M reduced D3) can make one shooting unit useless.
Metal #5 (-1 to WS, BS and AS) is just equivalent to providing a light cover.
Not available for us is Beasts #4 (-1 to hit), just equivalent to providing a light cover.
Not available for us is Light #1 (-1 to hit), 4+ to hit for non-WS shots.
Not available for us is Heavens #3 (reroll hit, wounds & save of 6), painful for us at long distance.

17. Resisting flyers.
Dragons and BT are fearsome. If these are difficult for you to deal with, then a standard and an item can help:
(S5) Fear against flyers. A good way to resist the terror caused by many flyers.
(E35) Featherfoe (flyers reroll to hit unit). Very effective to combat flying monsters (and their rider).
Not available for us is Heavens special effect anti-flyers (#0,2,3,4,6).
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

18. Cumulating effects
You can reinforce the strengths of your unit, compensate for a weakness, or tailor a specific unit to your needs.

Here below is a worksheet summarizing what we have just seen.
It is useful to have it in a single view, because:
- you can benefit from a single COB blessing (even if 2 COB are available)
- you can take only 1 standard in a unit, or 2 with the unique BSB;
- each character in the unit may take a single item of each category;
- in order to be certain to get a specific spell, you better get 2 wizards mastering the same Lore.
If you intend to build up a single über-unit-o-doom death star, try to pick up one of each effects listed above, to boost a unit which preferably benefits naturally from some of the effects.
After that, you’ll need to protect your characters from the opponent’s attention, but that is another story.

Legend:
C COB
_ S Standard
_ _ W Weapon
_ _ _ A Armour
_ _ _ _ T Talisman
_ _ _ _ _ E Enchanted
_ _ _ _ _ _ Sc Scroll
_ _ _ _ _ _ __ Dk Dark Lore
_ _ _ _ _ _ __ __ Fr Fire Lore
_ _ _ _ _ _ __ __ __ Mt Metal Lore
_ _ _ _ _ _ __ __ __ __ Sh Shadows Lore
_ _ _ _ _ _ __ __ __ __ __ Dt Death Lore
_ _ _ _ _ _ __ __ __ __ __ __ Bs Beasts Lore
_ _ _ _ _ _ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Lt Light Lore
_ _ _ _ _ _ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Lf Life Lore
_ _ _ _ _ _ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Hv Heavens Lore

_ S _ _ _ _ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Lt __ Hv __ Charge further (Cav, chariot, flyer)
_ S _ _ _ _ __ __ __ __ __ Sh __ __ Lt __ __ __ Faster hits (BG, WE, COK)
C S _ _ _ _ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Lt __ __ __ More hits (Frenzy; AHW Shades)
_ _ _ _ _ _ __ __ Dk __ Mt Sh __ __ Lt __ Hv __ Accurate hits (Hatred, ASF + high I)
_ S _ _ T E __ __ __ __ __ __ Dt __ __ __ __ __ Fear/Terror/ITP (BG, COK, COC; hero; general; BSB. Flames. ITP (frenzy))
_ _ _ _ _ _ __ __ __ __ __ Sh Dt Bs __ __ Hv __ Wounding hits (WE (Poison), Execs, BG, COK, COC, DR, GW Shades. Flames)
C S _ _ _ _ __ __ __ __ Mt __ __ __ __ __ Hv __ Armour piercing hits (Execs. BG, COK, COC, GW Shades)
_ S _ _ _ _ __ __ __ Fr __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Flames (Hydra)
_ _ _ _ _ _ __ __ __ __ __ Sh Dt Bs Lt Lf Hv __ Resisting hits wounds (Hydra, COC)
C _ _ _ _ _ __ __ __ __ Mt __ __ __ __ Lf Hv __ Saving wounds (COC, COK. Sh-DR. Corsairs, DR, Execs, BG. Sh-Spear, Sh-RXB)
C S _ _ _ E __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Lt __ Hv __ Combat resolution (Witchbrew. Steadfast. Stubborn (BG, Khainites). Skirms' woods)
_ S _ _ _ _ __ __ Dk Fr __ __ Dt __ Lt __ Hv __ Ld test (BG, COK, COC; hero; general; BSB)
_ _ _ _ _ _ __ __ Dk Fr Mt Sh Dt Bs Lt Lf Hv __ Massive magic damage
C S _ A T _ Sc __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Resisting magic damage (COB. Buildings, skirmishing Shades)
_ _ _ _ _ E __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Massive shooting (Templates weapons (N/A), many RXBmen)
_ _ _ _ T E __ __ Dk __ Mt Sh __ Bs Lt __ Hv __ Resisting shooting (Skirmishing Harpies, Shades)
_ S _ _ _ E __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Hv __ Resisting flyers

That's all, Mates!
Open for your comments.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

Wow! Another mammoth effort. I found this a bit hard to follow as I couldn't tell which items were which though. I would put that in and leave the cost in points out as thats not meant to be written down.

I would also consider putting all the magic effects which we don't have access to in a separate section

Just some thoughts :)
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Thanks for the appreciation and the positive suggestions.

I expected that giving (category/cost) references rather than names could create difficulties.

The problem I have with item names is that they vary from English edition to other language editions (such as mine).
When there were only a few items, that was fine.
With the new rule book coming in with so many new common items and spells, it takes me lots of efforts to understand some of the combos expressed in Army Lists or in the combo thread. I guess that other non-English speakers are at loss too.
But I understand that it may be difficult for those used to call items by their names to understand immediately what I am referring at. Hopfully, the hints provided with the effects help.

The advantage of my choice is that the category and the pts cost for all objects don't change with translation. Same for the order of spells in every Lore (i.e. Dark #1).
So, this kind of reference is easier for anyone owning a non-English rulebook (like me).

As for the copyright issue, the information I provide is transformed information, not quoted information. I tried to avoid to associate pts cost with the real name of objects. There should be no problem indicating that there exist an unnamed object of such category with such a cost. Most actual names are not given. If one wants to make a legal army list with this information without buying the rulebook and the army book, good luck!

Finally, the pts cost is useful to determine if you can take it on a Master or on a Lord, or if you can combine one armour with one talisman or a banner.

Magic effects to which we don't have access are always mentioned as such at the beginning of the line (not available...). No ambiguity. They come after accessible spells.
In the recap table, the four Lores we have not access to are grouped last.
In reality, I've done that work for myself and I play Empire, too.
Sorting off the non-DE information would just give me additional work with little benefit for me.
;)
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

I found this a very interesting read. Like much of DRAICH it requires deep thought and application before I think the ramifications can be understood.
Pjeos
Executioner

Post by Pjeos »

Calisson wrote:18. Cumulating effects

_ S _ _ _ _ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Lt __ Hv __ Charge further (Cav, chariot, flyer)
_ _ _ _ _ _ __ __ Dk __ Mt Sh __ __ Lt __ Hv __ Accurate hits (Hatred, ASF + high I)
_ S _ _ T E __ __ __ __ __ __ Dt __ __ __ __ __ Fear/Terror/ITP (BG, COK, COC; hero; general; BSB. Flames. ITP (frenzy))
_ _ _ _ _ _ __ __ __ __ __ Sh Dt Bs __ __ Hv __ Wounding hits (WE (Poison), Execs, BG, COK, COC, DR, GW Shades. Flames)
C S _ _ _ _ __ __ __ __ Mt __ __ __ __ __ Hv __ Armour piercing hits (Execs. BG, COK, COC, GW Shades)
_ _ _ _ _ _ __ __ __ __ __ Sh Dt Bs Lt Lf Hv __ Resisting hits wounds (Hydra, COC)
C _ _ _ _ _ __ __ __ __ Mt __ __ __ __ Lf Hv __ Saving wounds (COC, COK. Sh-DR. Corsairs, DR, Execs, BG. Sh-Spear, Sh-RXB)
C S _ _ _ E __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Lt __ Hv __ Combat resolution (Witchbrew. Steadfast. Stubborn (BG, Khainites). Skirms' woods)
_ S _ _ _ _ __ __ Dk Fr __ __ Dt __ Lt __ Hv __ Ld test (BG, COK, COC; hero; general; BSB)
C S _ A T _ Sc __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Resisting magic damage (COB. Buildings, skirmishing Shades)
_ _ _ _ _ E __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Massive shooting (Templates weapons (N/A), many RXBmen)
_ _ _ _ T E __ __ Dk __ Mt Sh __ Bs Lt __ Hv __ Resisting shooting (Skirmishing Harpies, Shades)

Hi there, I've read the whole thread and i've found it very useful but i'm afraid i don't fully understand this part, the worksheet and that stuff with which i'm afraid i'm not very familiarized. Could you please explain how to "read" it?
Dutchoven
Shade

Post by Dutchoven »

PjEOs wrote:
Calisson wrote:18. Cumulating effects

Hi there, I've read the whole thread and i've found it very useful but i'm afraid i don't fully understand this part, the worksheet and that stuff with which i'm afraid i'm not very familiarized. Could you please explain how to "read" it?

What hes saying is that IF you want to Charge further with (cav,chariot,flyer) you need S(STANDARD) or Light Lore or heavens lore. Its just a summary of what is above. ETC
Pjeos
Executioner

Post by Pjeos »

Oh, that's great, thanks for the info! :)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

DutchOven wrote:What hes saying is that IF you want to Charge further with (cav,chariot,flyer) you need S(STANDARD) or Light Lore or heavens lore. Its just a summary of what is above. ETC
Good understanding, except the end of the line in brackets:
IF you want to Charge further (as cav,chariot,flyer naturally do) you need S(STANDARD) or Light Lore or heavens lore. Its just a summary of what is above. ETC
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

Personally I like SSS to offset the loss of AHW with Corsairs so they get handbows. Mainly because it changes Hold to Stand and Shoot. Many are going to be setting up the flank, but if the CoB gets involved, you're back up to 3 Attacks plus whatever spell can be dropped on them.

I was worried about Light 6 for Empire for a while, but they still got held up in things because we play so Movement oriented (and use terrain to our advantage)- only one unit really got thru things and was ab;e to line up shots- the High Elves, if they have Heavens and Light? THAT makes me worried.
Oderint dum Metuant.