Warhammer Game Sizes?

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Kenny_151
Executioner

Warhammer Game Sizes?

Post by Kenny_151 »

Hi Druchii friends;

I was wondering in what way the tournments will change? Will it remain at 2250? or drop back to the English Skulls of Throne 2000 points? Or will it be even bigger? 2400? or even 2500? It's a topic that I've been wonderng about for some time, and everbody says something diffrent? Any thoughts?

geetings;
Kenny
"In The End, Their Will Be Only Chaos"
Masked jackal
Noble

Post by Masked jackal »

I think that 2500 and 3000 will become a lot more common. Games move a lot faster now. ;)
8th Edition Druchii War Report:
W/D/L: 30/1/15
http://www.freedomstudios.net/boredlife/boards/index.php?sid=18db5076e750fafca78c5ae7ed86bab3
Bored Life: Forum for RPs and general discussion in need of new blood. PM for details.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Do they actually move faster? Haven't played that often, yet, but I didn't think that they are really that different in speed.

You spend some less time on maneuvering, but spend some more time rolling dice. :)

I do think ~2500 will be a good size for tournament games.

Bye
Thanee
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Multiples of 400 (or possibly 200) must be taken.

For 1000 pts quick games, Magic has too much an influence. Better specify 1k with magic or 1k without magic.

2000 is probably a good balance.

2400 or 2500 (not sure which one will prevail) is probably going to look the closest to the good old 2250.

At 3k, magic has less influence.
3k games are probably going to happen in 2 flavours:
- real 3k, with special/rare spam (6sp/4r)
- 3k-1 or 2,999 pts, with limited special/rare (3sp/2r).

For combined games (2 armies per side), magic is much less influent, but I hardly see that happening in tournies.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Kurt_wulfraign
Corsair

Post by Kurt_wulfraign »

Well, at my club we've decided to use the 2000 points system for now (but may change if it’s to small).
2250 is just a so odd percentage number, and 3000 is too large for tournaments.
As everybody else says, 2400 or 2500 will be the tournament-level sizes and my guess would be the 2500 because it looks good :D

Kurt
"The most powerfull weapon of mass destruction: the human mind." - Prof. Adam Zaghmeir (my Proffessor Advanced Fysics)
Shifty
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Shifty »

The US 'Ard Boyz tournament (2010) uses 3k lists.

I'm not sure if thats a good measure though.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other human invention in history…
…with the possible exception of handguns and tequila." -Mitch Ratcliffe
Jbtheslipperking
Executioner

Post by Jbtheslipperking »

Iv also ponderd alot about this since the new ed came out. The community seems divided on this qestion and so far in Europe the majority seems very reluctant to go above 2500. Going with 2250 is a problem with the new rules. The 25% limit on lords with rule out stardragons and greater demons and thus hurt HE and DOC. At 2000 al dragons are out and several other lord choises. So I think 2500+ is a good bet. Some players want 2950 ( less than 3k to avoid the ekstra rare ), but in tournaments this could prove to be to much because of time limits. Setting the bar as high as this mightl also disencourage new players. The cost and modeling/painting time might seem overwhelming to some. In smaller games, as someone also says here, the randomness of the new rules could make it quit frustrating. One hit with a mortar/stone thrower or one nasty spell going off totally criples your army in round 1 or 2 and its basically game over. Not fun.
Wtf, dragon`s breath is not flamable ?
Danceman
The Devil in Pale Moonlight

Post by Danceman »

Not change here just yet. I see no real reason why you would feel the need to increase the point size because the game is quicker. This just means you'll be able to play more games.

3k at 'Ard Boyz... Then again it makes sense for such a tournament since it is all about bringing the most rediculous lists possible, and at 3k lists do get pretty insane. Still, not my kind of game. 2500 max for me but even then I do not see the point of it.
"Dying is for fools." - Charlie Sheen