Lokhir Fellheart Themed Army -- Opinions and Suggestions

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Gailbraithe
Slave (off the Altar)

Lokhir Fellheart Themed Army -- Opinions and Suggestions

Post by Gailbraithe »

When I first decided to run a Dark Elves army, the first thing I did was buy the Battle Box. Then next thing I did was buy Lokhir Fellheart, because he's wicked sweet. I mean he has a squid shaped helmet. That's freaking awesome.

But the army I ended up putting together has no place for Lokhir or the 20 Black Ark Corsairs that came in the box. All of them, Lokhir and and the Corsairs, are assembled and primed, ready to be painted and put on the field, and I want to do something with them.

Today I figured out what that is. In my metal bits box I have a partially assembled goroloth from Reaper. This is a goroloth:

It's very krakenesque, yeah? Mine didn't come with half its fins. That, and the fact that I'm too lazy to send Reaper an email demanding they send me the missing parts, is why its unfinished.

Now imagine if instead of fins, that thing had legs. Imagine it was some sort of mutant abomination of a kraken, a kraken that could be dragged up onto a beach and herded forward by dedicated warriors to unleash hell upon their foes. Imagine if in addition to its many tentacle attacks it could spew a jet of burning acid. Imagine it was a proxy for a War Hydra.

You see where I'm going with this, yeah?

I'm thinking of a 1000 point army themed as a Lohkir Fellheart led raiding party, now a full army, just enough men to loot, pillage and rape their way across a small village, crushing the Empire forces mustered to defend the town.

Here's the force I'm thinking of:

Lokhir Fellheart - 250 points

Main Raiding Party - 243 points
19 Black Ark Corsairs, Full Command, Paired HXB for Reaver, Banner of Murder

Secondary Raiding Party - 210 points
16 Black Ark Corsairs, Full Command, Sea Serpent Standard

Advanced Raiding Party - 120 points
6 Shades, Bloodshade, Light Armor

Kraken Abomination (War Hydra) - 175 points

Total: 998 points

For the color scheme, I'm thinking of blacks, teals, aquamarines, ocean blues, and lots of corroded brass covered in greenish-white verdigris. The Shades won't use Shade miniatures, but rather Corsair proxies -- they aren't really Shades, they're just Corsairs that snuck into town ahead of the main raiding party.

I basically have three broad questions:

1) What do you think of the army list? Any obvious improvements that don't leave the theme?

2) I want to use GW bits to finish the kraken abomination. I'll be using the head, tentacles and body of the goroloth, but I want to add legs and a tail, plus maybe some spines/spikes from GW models. Anyone have any suggestions of parts that might work? I'm handy with the green stuff, so I can fill gaps and the like. I'm thinking maybe some Tyranid bits, but I don't really know the 'Nids and what pieces to look at.

3) This is idea is freaking awesome, yeah?
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

i would remove bloodshade and light armour from the shades. very cost inefficient.

16 corsairs seems like a bad number really. get fewer or more of them tbh.

over all the list is not very strong tbh, but then again i guess thats not your main priority. you could downgrade the small unit of corsairs to warrior "deck hands". 15 warriors with or without shield makes an excellent flanking force and its much cheaper. maybe you could evene free up enough points for a sorceress, even if its lvl 1. some one needs to have put a spell on that sea beast to control it, right?

for the "hydra". perhaps you can use the small tyranid scyte-arms... like lobster legs. just glue like 6 of them on the belly. very much like a mutated sea monster :)
Gailbraithe
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Gailbraithe »

Lord Tsunami wrote:i would remove bloodshade and light armour from the shades. very cost inefficient.

Bloodshades are no good, huh? I mostly got the armor because it made the unit an even 120 points instead of the more troublesome 114.
16 corsairs seems like a bad number really. get fewer or more of them tbh.

I was thinking a 4x4 block that could reform into a 5x3(+1). No good?
over all the list is not very strong tbh, but then again i guess thats not your main priority. you could downgrade the small unit of corsairs to warrior "deck hands". 15 warriors with or without shield makes an excellent flanking force and its much cheaper.

You're probably right, but I find the idea of guys in heavy chainmail skirts on a boat kinda silly. And these guys are supposed to be pirates afterall. I'm okay with a less-optimal build if its more thematic. I don't really play to win, I play to have fun and to justify all the time and money I spend painting these things. :oops:
maybe you could evene free up enough points for a sorceress, even if its lvl 1. some one needs to have put a spell on that sea beast to control it, right?

Ain't gonna happen. At 1000 points the 250 point Lohkir eats up all of the available points for Heroes, and I don't think there's anyway to clear up enough points for a Supreme Sorceress.
for the "hydra". perhaps you can use the small tyranid scyte-arms... like lobster legs. just glue like 6 of them on the belly. very much like a mutated sea monster :)

That's an interesting idea. I think I actually have some of those in my bits box, I'll give it a shot and see how it works out.

EDIT: I just happened to have exactly six scythe arms (after I broke apart a genestealer) and I tried it out, it looks freaking sweet. Thanks for the idea!
Last edited by Gailbraithe on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Welcome in the Brotherhood!
Click in the hyperlink there, you'll get suggestions.
Brotherhood of the Coast – The Druchii Corsair League
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

wth? 4x4? havent you played for the last 5 years? you need 5 models to get rank bonus ;)
You're probably right, but I find the idea of guys in heavy chainmail skirts on a boat kinda silly. And these guys are supposed to be pirates afterall. I'm okay with a less-optimal build if its more thematic. I don't really play to win, I play to have fun and to justify all the time and money I spend painting these things. Embarassed

true if you already spent the money. i made a few "deck hands" using warrior torsos and heads but with the legs of empire free company fighters = no chainmail. i modelled some scarfs from greenstuff too, and made their spear blades short, more like a "boat hook" or whatever its called in english :P

Ain't gonna happen. At 1000 points the 250 point Lohkir eats up all of the available points for Heroes, and I don't think there's anyway to clear up enough points for a Supreme Sorceress.

right. silly me :P play bigger games :lol:
Toddums
Warrior

Post by Toddums »

Man, that is a VERY cool idea. Make sure you do a water base for that squid/kraken!!!
Duguay-trouin
Shade

Post by Duguay-trouin »

Keep the light armor on the shades, it is efficient.

Against S3 you have a 1/6 chance of saving, for only 1 point. That means that for the 6 points spent on light armor you will save one shade on average. Shades cost 16 points each, so spending 6 points to save one 16 point model is a very efficient use of points.
Duguay-trouin
Shade

Post by Duguay-trouin »

Also It would look really cool if the base of that kraken/squid/crab was the shoreline of a beach. That way it would look like it was crawling out of the water.

Post some pics in the painting and modeling section when you are done!
Gailbraithe
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Gailbraithe »

Lord Tsunami wrote:

wth? 4x4? havent you played for the last 5 years? you need 5 models to get rank bonus ;)

I have played exactly 3 games of WHFB, 1 with my Daemons and 2 with my Dark Elves. I am a n00b. What's sick is I have spent well over a thousand dollars on models in the last six months. They really should call it Wallethammer.

true if you already spent the money. i made a few "deck hands" using warrior torsos and heads but with the legs of empire free company fighters = no chainmail. i modelled some scarfs from greenstuff too, and made their spear blades short, more like a "boat hook" or whatever its called in english :P

Now that sounds very cool, I may do just that.

And I think boat hook is acceptable, but "gaff hook" is the pedantically proper term.

right. silly me :P play bigger games :lol:[/quote]
That's what my 2000 point army is for!

@Toddums and Duguay-Trouin: I will definitely be modeling the kraken on a beach with tide pools.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Black Primer Painting Service
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

I love that squid(hydra) idea.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Just a few ideas for Corsair-themed lists. Obviously it won't do you much good in a 1000 point game, but it could be food for thought:

-Sorceress: We already know Lokhir has made use of magic to make some of his more daring raids possible, so having a Sorc or two "on retainer" from the convent of Sorceresses seems pretty natural.

-Dark Riders: Often mentioned as the vanguard for raiding parties, a Black Ark certainly houses stables for transporting steeds to/from a fight.

-Repeater crossbowmen: Accurate marksmen play a crucial role in naval combat, so I have to figure that crossbow armied warriors/Corsairs is perfectly feasible. I don't think anyone will find major fault with you if you crossbowmen with hand weapon/shield to represent crossbow-armed corsairs with sea dragon cloaks.

-Reaper bolt throwers: Bolt throwers have widespread naval application for both High Elves and Dark Elves, and the crew are even modeled in a very similar fashion to the old 6th edition corsairs. Once you have the points here, definitely include some of these, maybe with crewman converted from the recent Corsair plastics.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Aeth
Warrior

Post by Aeth »

The wings from the Tyranid Gargoyle kit might make useful fins on your Kraken.
.........|\~
....\~| \
....|\./.\
.r/_\ /___\ç
.\======/¨
~~~~~~~~~

These are the voyages of the Black Arc Enterprise..........
Toddums
Warrior

Post by Toddums »

Question

has anyone ever made a black arc model?
Gailbraithe
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Gailbraithe »

Toddums wrote:Question

has anyone ever made a black arc model?

If they have, and did it right, it would be more accurate to call it a "black ark terrain board." Those things are freaking HUGE.

If this damn recession ever ends and I go back to working full-time, I might build one. But money is too tight right now.

Of course, if that happens, I won't have the time to do it...
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Black Primer Painting Service
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

There was a god awful attempt by GW for manowar, but it realy is dreadful.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation