a game that never ended: Beanz's 1st 8th Ed matchup (2k)

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

a game that never ended: Beanz's 1st 8th Ed matchup (2k)

Post by Dangerous Beans »

So, I'd read with fervant interest all of the numerous tasty little rumours that have been flying around for the past year or so, read the incredibly handy 'summary' that Grimstonefire popped up on Warseer which condensed together a list of the most likely valid rumours. And of course finally got the rulebook first thing when it appeared and spent the following few days in exicted solitude like a puppy with its first bone (including guarding it jealously and growling if people came near me - luckily I ate fairly normally however...)

However I had yet to find an opponent to play 8th edition with! Being stuck in the middle of rural cornwall for the summer was not the greatest way to finding a gaming buddy of similar standard (despite attempting to dupe several of my housemates into learning to play!).

So, upon arriving home I set off to the local gaming shop in Oxford (I would say 'store' but then I'd have to change my nationality to US - not too bad a thing I might add but not appropriate for an english chap of my being).

There I met my opponent: an ex-skaven player who had been lured back to his army through the temptation of the new rules. I had written up a tasty 3k list to try some new stuff but alas he only had 2000pts. A few moments of frantic scribbling out and puzzled calculating of totals that never seem to add up right until the 43rd1 attempt.

So, what did I take? Well I could spend ages re-writing out my list but sadly theres very little point as the game only lasted a meagre 2 turns for either side (mostly courtesy of our pals on the table next to us who refused to share an 8x4' board for their 2k game - understable I know but none the less a little annoying) - my army had:

a Supreme Sorceress (sac dagg/pendent), BSB - cold one: Hydra Banner. 10 crossbowmen, 10 dark riders (shields and musician+champ), 34 warriors (FC), 9 harpies, 6 shades, assassin (stars/manbane), 12 BG, 12 Witches, Hydra, 2 reapers.

His army:

Grey Seer in 40 (50??) Stormvermin + Screaming bell + BSB + Assassin unit. 40/50 plaguemonk Horde, 40/50 Clanrat Horde, 4 ratogres, Doomwheel.

a little clunky and all-eggs, one basket for him maybe, but wanted I wanted to relay was the devastation that Cold One Knights can cause without a Cauldron.

Obviously I used the old and very very unoriginal Hydra Banner+cold one knight combo, but with the champ having the potion of foolhardiness. 7 Cold One Knights and this combo can cause an absolutely LETHAL amount of damage. I dread to think what would happen if you added a cauldron to the mix!

Imagine a witch elf with S6 on the charge, M8 (I added the banner of swiftness to my unit) with a 2+ armour save and WS5 oh and an extra 2 S4 attacks as back up. Sorry if everyone knows and has grown used to this combo but my word! I had forgotten how utterly lethal this is if you charge!

I know its somewhat overkill but I'd also cast the -1T and Str spell from death on the stormvermin too (I'd rolled 12 on my winds of magic dice that turn and didnt know what else to cast it on!) It tore into his Stormvermin unit and cut a swathe of well over 30 dead stormvermin, which were easily mopped up in round 2 of the combat - with enough attacks remaining to kill the grey seer too!

I'm appalled by the damage this unit can cause - I've not even seen chaos knights/blood knights do anywhere near as much damage as this! Does anyone know if theyre also able to take the Potion of Foolhardiness? Because DAMN! blow taking any other items for your dreadknight - this 5pt beauty is all you need! :D

- Beanz.

PS. in case you were wondering the game was a massacre to me by the end of turn 2 - stupidly good magic rolls and hydra combat vs the rat ogres helped immensely too...

PPS. sorry this isn't much of a batrep - more a random ramblings of an over impressed Beanz...

1 I would say 42nd - being the answer to life the universe and everything but sadly space-time continuums in Oxford are somewhat out of synch with this dimension - hence the 43 number...
Darktan
Cold One Knight

Post by Darktan »

is the potion really that great? it only grants the +1 attack to the champion does it not? (been using whip of agony for my CoK champ, worked wonders so far)

i've yet to try the +1 move banner on CoK, would be nice to help ensure charges, particularly against other knights, banner of hag graef giving re-rolls to hit every turn is nice though, not sure i'd turn it in.

and a turn 2 ending? O.o earliest ending for me was end of turn 5 with searing doom finally going off and killing a BSB, winning the blood and glory, did the game take longer to set up than to play?

Dangerous Beans wrote:PPS. sorry this isn't much of a batrep - more a random ramblings of an over impressed Beanz...

it's ok, we still love you! :P
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

haha! thanks for the response Darktan! :D I think I'd gotten a little carried away with myself and the miswording of the Potion of Foolhardiness (it does seem stupidly ridiculously underpriced in the way I'd used it during this game) - I've brought up the question in this thread HERE as it'll probably more likely get answered than plonking the question on this semi-batrep thread.

I'll post more when I get some more games in in a month or so's time... (off to Europe to go surfing!! :D)

- Beanz