how to beat this HE army?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Kaleth the reaper
Corsair

how to beat this HE army?

Post by Kaleth the reaper »

My friend just made a new HE list and I wonder how I can beat it.

he has 20 lothern seaguard
18 white lions
18 phoenix guards with warbanner
5 dragonprinces with banner of eternal flames and champ with potion of strength (for killing my hydra's)
2* 10 archers
3 eagles

BSB with banner of the world dragon
L4 with book of the hoeth.

this is my list:
L4 on peg with POK, focus familliar, crystal of midnight (death magic)
L2 scroll (shadow magic)
BSB: AOD, whip of agony

3* 10 crossbowmen
24 warriors with FC
24 warriors with FC and banner of murder

24 executioners: FC banner of swiftness
6 shades

hydra
hydra

the white lions and phoenixguards work as speedbumps so I have a very hard time getting his seaguards with L4 and BSB in combat.

and I can't kill his characters with magic because of the banner of world dragon (immune to magic).
Against dark elves;
You can run but you'll just die tired.
Or you can fight and you'll just die.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Looks like an uphill battle. His combat regiments are very durable versus shooting, and your magic is geared mostly towards Initiative based tests (which Elves don't care about) and character sniping (which the Banner of the World Dragon negates entirely.) His combat regiments can walk overs yours pretty effectively also.

Ideally, you'll try to eliminate the Dragon Princes from range, or else engage them with Executioners to keep them away from your Hydra. Preserving your Hydras is really important; since you've bought two of them, they're your real sources of combat hitting power, so it's crucial that you preserve them and get them into combat alongside your Spearmen in order to generate some victory points for yourself.

What Lore is your opponent using? With Book of Hoeth, there isn't much you can do if he wants to get a spell through. You simply have to focus on getting into combat quickly.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Kaleth the reaper
Corsair

Post by Kaleth the reaper »

He will probably go with life heavens or death.
If he chooses death I will probably be out of characters by turn 2 or 3.

The hydra's are indeed my best chance, but on 1 side his white lions and the other the dragon princes I Can't really get them in a combat I can win without losing to much wounds in the process.
Last time he charged 7 surviving white lions into my hydra and I still lost combat even with thunderstomp.
Against dark elves;
You can run but you'll just die tired.
Or you can fight and you'll just die.
Greg
Cold One Knight

Post by Greg »

Focus all your shooting and magic in the first turn on eliminating the eagles and archers. You will have minimum impact on the other units and it frees up your movement.
Angle any unit you want in the way of the dragon princes while angling the hydras down a flank. The goal with the hydras is to combo flame a unit ideally the whitelions but the character bunker would do if necessary. The rest is a race to getting to the bunker while delaying the dragonprinces.
If you could taylor your list it wouldn't be as challenging.
Accersitus
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Accersitus »

If you can eliminate the archers and eagles early, the LSG unit with the characters is rather weak against RXB shooting. Assuming it is hiding behind the PG and WL, trying to draw those units away could open them up for shooting. Stationary at long range, the 30 RXB-men should kill about 8 LSG/round.